• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Sony wants 60fps PS5 Pro ‘Enhanced’ games, but it’s happy to settle for less

60FPS should have been standard on OG PS5 and I've said this countless times before this gen started.

Why can't developers just stick to a rock solid 60FPS.
60 fps is the standard, at least on PS5. You can't have rock solid 60fps even on high end PC, this is another problem. 30fps was the standard on PS4, but games were not running at locked 30fps either.

Last edited:

Mithos

Nah looking at the specs, 1440p/60fps should be good. PSSR is to upscale to 4k.
Well I guess we will see, IF there will be any games at 1440p Ultra/RT Ultra at 60fps+ even with PSSR helping, considering the cutbacks we already have in the games settings wise I have some doubt, and would personally rather take a 1080p with higher chance at getting those higher settings and framerates

Bernardougf

Gold Member
A next Gen 30 fps is better than current gen 60 fps, facts!
jMB3iJd.gif

CLW

Tom Warren Colt Eastwood and MS is going to DESTROY Sony by giving them 33% of software sales all while devaluing their all ready shitty hardware

Matsuchezz

When the PS5 PRO is released, I just want to see comparisons from Digital Foundry how the system shits on both the XSS and XSS. That will be glorious. That is all I need this holiday season to be a happy holidays. And the icing on the cake will be getting Hell Blade 2 the PRO version where the game will still be shitty but enhanced for the PRO.
I am all for it, if the first "real" Naughty Dog game for PS5 is enhanced for the PRO.

Last edited:

truth411

imagine paying an extra 6-700 dollars just to get more 30 fps games, at least with a GPU upgrade and PC you aren't limited to some artificial ecosystem and forced frame rates.
But you'll pay 6-700 dollars for the gpu alone if your PC. There is nothing "Cheaper" about PC, if your want specs worth a dam.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I can't consider buying it when the PS5 hasn't been fully utilized.

Is the some sort of concession that the OG has been tapped out?

Any title that's using resources to maximal load is "fully utilizing" the hardware. The point is that if you have more resources you get more performance from the same code.
Therefore any improvement past now on standard PS5 software is going to show relatively more improvement on the Pro! There's no special sauce that will make the base model only more performant, any code/tech improvement will be carried forewords.

Basically, unless you mistakenly believe that no piece of software can run better than PS5, you can be safe in the knowledge that you will see *sometimes* improvements in resolution, iq, frame-rate, and likely ray-tracing applications. The only question is, is the sometimes added benefit worth the cost?

Any title that's using resources to maximal load is "fully utilizing" the hardware. The point is that if you have more resources you get more performance from the same code.
Therefore any improvement past now on standard PS5 software is going to show relatively more improvement on the Pro! There's no special sauce that will make the base model only more performant, any code/tech improvement will be carried forewords.

Basically, unless you mistakenly believe that no piece of software can run better than PS5, you can be safe in the knowledge that you will see *sometimes* improvements in resolution, iq, frame-rate, and likely ray-tracing applications. The only question is, is the sometimes added benefit worth the cost?

Right, but have we seen a game that is fully utilizing the resources of the PS5 base model?

I would think not since some of the most technically impressive games came out realitively early in its lifecycle, e.g., Demons Souls, Ratchet and Clank.

We'd be hard pressed to find many games that have been released since then that are doing more?

But to your point, yes, better hardware affords more resource allocation and performance to the existing dev tools, independent of platform.

But I would say the answer is, it's not worth it, especially if Sony is content with 30 FPS. Unfortunately they can’t issue any performance mandates with a user base split between the base the pro.

IMO base model still has life in it, but I'm willing to bet Sony is doing this to be able to say PS5 Pro is where you can play GTA at 60 FPS.

Otherwise it seems like an expensive half measure, and a quick cash grab. But again to my point, are we seeing the development community saying that the console lacks the oomph required to execute their vision?

omegasc

I'm amazed by the assumptions and conclusions people get to. I can't say the 10% CPU increase won't be enough. For some games that are already coded, using a "pure boost" mode... maybe. But there's always the possibility of a patch to move stuff from the CPU, or tweak code that is just enough to hit 60fps now, but wasn't before. Maybe 10% is actually just the number to make the jump for most games when paired with the new memory specs, and Sony researched that with devs before locking on the hardware.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So this is starting 6750 XT with a 3070..

They are basically identical with the 3070 having slightly more power in some games.

hinch7

So this is starting 6750 XT with a 3070..

They are basically identical with the 3070 having slightly more power in some games.
More like closer to a 4070. With AI upscaling and improved RT, custom RDNA 3 on a closed platform and API, will perform quite well one should think.

Last edited:

EDMIX

errr I'm ok with this.

Look, this is a dicey game. They'd rather not force developers to do something, but want to support 60fps. imho, its best to leave it up to developers instead of making some hard rule

Leave design up to designers, the hardware should be the canvas of expression vs a prison.

A standard for electronics should maintain as many minimum required specifications as possible to maintain consistency, continuity, and performance. A premium branded standard like PS5 Pro Enhanced should keep those minimum requirements as high as reasonably possible. Introducing more wiggle room to get more titles under this brand only serves to dilute the brand's quality and meaning. This is the same shit that makes HDMI and USB and HDR standards less helpful than they should be.

Exactly! I knew Sony would have this pansy attitude with the Pro because that's how they and MS have always been. They let devs get away with doing the bare minimum to the point that where some devs have literally scammed people out of their money, as was the case with the paid upgrade for Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr's "next gen patch". Basically, they charged $25 for the most pos upgrade. Sony, with their ass backwards "return policy" actually helps insure these unscrupulous devs still get paid because "you played it now you have to keep it" even if the "upgrade" runs worse than ever.

Zelduh

There's nothing wrong with a locked stable 30 FPS. Most people outside of hardcore enthusiast gaming circlejerks don't care and some even prefer it

onQ123

Common sense tells us as we go further into the generation that more games will start to fully utilise these machines and 30fps becomes the norm. Also let's not forget GTAVI will be 30fps because of the limitations of the CPU.
Before this generation started people claimed that 30fps would be the norm but here we are with only a few games that top out at 30fps .

DF tried to push the fear of PS5 games being 30fps when PS5 came out & now they're trying it again with PS5 Pro

XPbvz5e.png

Before this generation started people claimed that 30fps would be the norm but here we are with only a few games that top out at 30fps .

DF tried to push the fear of PS5 games being 30fps when PS5 came out & now they're trying it again with PS5 Pro

XPbvz5e.png
All these games have different graphics modes, with the 30fps one being the graphically superior version. All the rubbish that PS5 is always 60fps but in fact it only has 60fps as an option not as a standard. Basically cross-gen games is pretty much all we've had so far with 60fps options with drawbacks. GTAVI will be 30fps on all consoles at launch as has been the norm with Rockstar forever.

onQ123

Random info:

PS5 Pro compute is 4X the PS4 Pro without Dual Issue Compute so we might see a setting to run PS4 games at 4X the resolution which would be 4K for PS4 games but up to 8K for PS4 Pro enhanced games

onQ123

All these games have different graphics modes, with the 30fps one being the graphically superior version. All the rubbish that PS5 is always 60fps but in fact it only has 60fps as an option not as a standard. Basically cross-gen games is pretty much all we've had so far with 60fps options with drawbacks. GTAVI will be 30fps on all consoles at launch as has been the norm with Rockstar forever.
Yeah you're talking stupid lol

If you know there is a 60fps option for most games why try to push the "Games will be 30fps" BS?

Think about this

The 60fps mode from PS5 can receive enhanced graphics through Ray-Tracing & AI upscaling.

So again why are you trying to push the 30fps BS?

Guys, do you realize that this guy from twitter called blue nugroho is mentally ill? Probably autism. He is shilling for xbox day after day since xbox one, that's over 10 years.
He has multiple alt accounts, for example on Disqus ( WCCFTECH)

That’s why they tell you the internet is full of scary people. 😬🤣

To be wrong on almost every post, or to take it out of context. That takes a grim type of determination

I’m sure this dude is one of misterXmedia’s acolytes, where he was just as equally wrong about not just the PlayStation. But the Xbox and what it could do as well

I remember him popping up in the next gen threads, when the Xbox one was next gen 🤣

Mr Moose

A standard would be if most games are 30fps without 60fps options. Having 60fps option is a standard. There's barely any 30fps only titles.

Yeah you're talking stupid lol

If you know there is a 60fps option for most games why try to push the "Games will be 30fps" BS?

Think about this

The 60fps mode from PS5 can receive enhanced graphics through Ray-Tracing & AI upscaling.

So again why are you trying to push the 30fps BS?
So why do they have a 30fps option then? Now who's talking stupid? The developer of the game has made these options available which is great but the facts are the 30fps version is graphically superior right? These 60fps options are cutback to hit that frame rate right?

A standard would be if most games are 30fps without 60fps options. Having 60fps option is a standard. There's barely any 30fps only titles.
That makes no sense at all, then why have a 30fps option? 30fps is the standard and then they make cutbacks for the other options.

Mr Moose

That makes no sense at all, then why have a 30fps option? 30fps is the standard and then they make cutbacks for the other options.
Don't most games default to the 60fps mode?
A game having a 60fps option is the standard, a game having only 30fps is not. Of course the 30fps will (or at least should) look better than the 60fps version because you could fit more into the budget, but games with 60fps option is the norm.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Most current gen games has 60fps mode, not sure why you omit them .

So why do they have a 30fps option then? Now who's talking stupid? The developer of the game has made these options available which is great but the facts are the 30fps version is graphically superior right? These 60fps options are cutback to hit that frame rate right?
you - you brain hurting hellblade only got that 30 mode - thing is, most if not all games at least have an uglier 60 fps mode

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Otherwise it seems like an expensive half measure, and a quick cash grab. But again to my point, are we seeing the development community saying that the console lacks the oomph required to execute their vision?

I'd disagree with that, and just say "it is what it is". Basically a slight upgrade that offers some opportunities for devs to quickly/cheaply implement features that are primarily destined for PC SKU's.

Objectively the Pro is always going to be a minority interest offer, it will never get exclusive titles targeting it, BUT what it does offer is the ability to incorporate and test features that generally would only be found on successor gen devices or on higher-end PC's today. So it serves a marketing purpose (higher end SKU will always be used to demonstrate/promote) and a practical way of easing devs into dealing with more advanced/expensive techniques (like various RT-based augmentations) that otherwise would be too burdensome on base PS5.

From the user end its kinda like an insurance policy against late-gen offerings pushing too close to the edge of hardware capability and ending up compromising on res or frame-rate some or all of the time.

Mithos

1080p then upscaled?** Because you'd have to still be gaming on a 1080p TV to say you'd be OK with 1080p*** ...
** If you have reached your fidelity and framerate goal yeah sure turn on upscaling.

*** Yes I am on a 1080p TV atm, because... its still working, and no console "hardware wise" is good enough for 4K with Ultra and RT settings turned on if you want 60fps or 120fps, and for PC I just cant afford the hardware, I'm at 1080p-1440p 60fps+**** at High/Ultra without RT hardware wise.

**** Because no VRR so "need/want" 60fps 1% lows or extremely close to is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom