• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : CNBC: Sony to release a PS5 Pro this year

Iced Arcade

Pro consoles are bought by people who already own the base model. If they don't sell the console at profit price, it's pointless.

Last edited:

Neofire

Ps5 pro will be bought day 1 when it releases, however with no info from Sony yet and it's supposed to release this year? Ehhhh idk

KellyNole

They fooled me with the ps4 pro. They won't fool me again. Mid gen upgrades are not really worth it if you already have the base console... well that is until I see the spec bump officially and then I get excited and then I buy it and then yes... they got me again.

Sony has way too much inventory on hand and in the market to release this anytime before the holidays... it's unfortunate. Would have loved to get this early.

Xtib81

That's another thing. I was hoping for something very different, less tall and less garish than the original model, but if it's got to accommodate the external drive add-on it's going to have to comply to that previous design aesthetic. Blergh.

I don't see that tbh. It's still out-performing what people were saying it would offer (well, those that weren't working on bullshit fantasy specs). There's was a lot of doom and gloom, TF vs the competition concern, loads of "we'll be back to 30fps in 6 months just you wait" warnings. PS5 out-performs it's paper specs, and back then all we had was paper specs.
I remember reading that the sdd was a game changer (not only in loading screens but also in the way worlds are built for instance) and that this time around both the CPU and GPU were good. Yet, we still can't get a 4k image on demanding games, and if we want 60fps, lots of sacrifices need to be made. Even IQ has become a problem, in games like Aw2 or FF16. A pro model could at least allow us to have fidelity+performance in one game mode.

StereoVsn

If they release it, I wonder how much it will cost and how much they expect to sell.

PS5 sales already slow down at €550 and Sony stated that lowering the price will be difficult.
$599 Pro and $450 Disk Model/$400 no disk could work. Gives enough price separation and doesn’t drop current prices too much.

night13x

Politico just had breaking news. Sony will probably release a playstation 6 in the future. Specs are expected to be more powerful than playstation 5.

Why this is a thread is beyond me. This falls under "no shit sherlock".

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Curious what games will make use of it at launch.

Like could we see ff16 get a new quality mode at 60fps as well? Or perhaps FF7 rebirth get a 60fps quality mode?

If all the pro version does is allow for more visual prowess then it’s a pointless upgrade to me. Ideally this thing will make more games run at higher resolutions AT 60fps.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
U7ZfzuW.jpg
Yeah but this is the pro model. Somehow it’ll have 3 vagina lips instead of 2.

Releasing a more powerful console without a single first party game

This gen has been so lame

How is this not considered trolling at this point?

What do you expect with 3-4 years? If you want a really Big console upgrade without breaking the bank for users it would have been 5-6 years before and it is now likely 7-8 years.

It will still be a good update, they learned how devs would use a Pro console (first and third party devs) and they designed both PS5 SDK and requirements as well as PS5 Pro itself around it. This is their second generation Pro consoles and they had a hand in working with AMD to fix some initial RDNA2 shortcomings (MS probably has too) like with the RT setup.

Yeah, I don't think people realize how many PS4 games were originally developed with locked framerates. Pretty much all games now are built around unlocked framerates with specific modes built in for stability. This means a lot less work to do 60 FPS modes if the hardware is there to support it. You just patch the game to run and set it to 60 FPS or higher framerates with VRR. Would be stunned if any game built after 2018 was built with locked framerates.

Sony refuse to reduce the base ps5 price ,I think the pro is going to be 699 at least

Sony doesn't want to reduce the price of the PS5. I stated this all last year while catching a lot of flack for it, but they also want to get as many units out there as possible, especially if the Switch 2 is delayed. A price cut for the standard unit from 500 to 450 and the digital from 450 to 400 wouldn't be out of question.

I'd guess that the PS5 Pro will release with two models: Standard and Digital. With the Digital coming in at 600 dollars and the standard coming in at 650.

Edit: Not to mention that a flood of used PS5s on the market is GREAT news for Sony if people are upgrading to the PS5 Pro. That's more unit sales without taking a loss on the hardware sale.

It won’t fix the cost of making AAA games, which is a reason for low margins.

That's A reason for low margins not THE reason for low margins. Sony doesn't break down their expenditures in great detail, so assuming you know why their margins are low in totality is too presumptuous.

It was always gonna be relased in November for obvious reasons... Just like any Playstation launch in the last 10 years

When did the PS4 Slim release?

Politico just had breaking news. Sony will probably release a playstation 6 in the future. Specs are expected to be more powerful than playstation 5.

Why this is a thread is beyond me. This falls under "no shit sherlock".

You have people denying this system will ever come out but a news outlet says it will come out this year and that's too vague or obvious?

Last edited:

Kings Field

sure, release it.

Also release a system wide patch to unlock frame rate on ALL games that are locked at 30 INCLUDING FUCKING BLOODBORNE.

boards hype GIF

Last edited:

Kabelly

Damn. The only reason I'm even considering a PS5 right now is because of Stellar Blade, but if a pro console is on the way I'll wait. Then hopefully by the time the release the pro console Shift Up will have announced the PC port. (;

yurinka

I didn't know PS Portal was a portable console. Everybody said it's PS5 accesory, a DualSense with a screen on it to make remote play.

Don't worry, guys. The PS5 Pro will fix everything.
What's to fix?
There is nothing to fix. Launch aligned PS5 are only less than 3M for being their best selling console ever, they are making more money than ever with total software, game subs or 1st party sales, partly because they are making more money than ever outside PS thanks to the PC ports and Bungie.

Their forecast for hardware was too ambitious and decreased it becase won't didn't achieve it, but still had great sales. Regarding the operating income/profitabiliy is normal because they are working on over two dozen giant games, have been growing all their teams and recently made several acquisitions and still are paying related costs. They prefered that than to keep the money in the bank, and I'd say they did the righ thing.

Like in all consoles, the PS5 yearly hardware sales will make a curve: during the first half keep growing every year until it peaks somewhere between the 3rd and 5th fiscal year, and after that every year the yearly sales decrease every year. Not because PS5 is doomed, it's just because it will start its 5th fiscal year, so will enter that part of its normal console cycle.

Totoki said that the acquisition related costs will ease this new FY that starts next month, and that the revenue outside PS will help them with extra profitability (each PC port costs them around a couple million but they combined are generating hundreds of millions of dollars, with a great growth YoY).

They are also working in many tv show or movie adaptations, mobile games and GaaS which will give them shit ton of extra revenue and profit, even if most of them not this FY.

Read the entire thing and i am confused.
Is it a rumor or speculation from an analyst?
Both.

Imagine if the pro uses the "V" form factor the early prototypes used...
They were devkits, not prototypes of he retail console.

Last edited:

yurinka

Releasing a pro console with no exclusive AAA game to sell it is a stretch.
PS5 haz no gamez!

PS5 is doomed!

Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, FFVII Rebirth, Stellar Blade, MLB, Destiny The Final Shape, Until Dawn Remake and Concord, the game made by Halo, Destiny, CoD and many other top shooter creators don't exist!

We're in February but nobody will announce any PS5 game to be released the rest of the year!

Am I doing it right?

$599 Pro and $450 Disk Model/$400 no disk could work. Gives enough price separation and doesn’t drop current prices too much.
For extra horsepower differentiation it could be $599 wihout disk reader, you could use the attachable one from the normal PS5.

I think the horsepower difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro was too small. I think this time they could introduce a bigger difference in horserpower and price to make it more appealing to hardcore users who want to push beyond and spend more, as a very small portion of PC gamers do.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
1.) Sony fanboys will bend the knee and buy the ps5 pro

2.) game developers won’t turn their back on base ps5

Cyberpunkd

That's A reason for low margins not THE reason for low margins. Sony doesn't break down their expenditures in great detail, so assuming you know why their margins are low in totality is too presumptuous.
They don’t break their expenditures and yet their margins are record low while the hardware is wildly successful.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Man, it would really be nice if devs design their games for 4k 60 instead of relying on new hardware to brute force it.
So, then we could hear complaints about the graphics not being much better than what came before it, rinse-&-repeat? :goog_lol:

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A Pro console isn't gonna fix their 1st Party output problem.
In fact this is the kinda stuff that's the problem at the moment.
They have announced more hardware and accessories then games since the PS5 released.
Announcing a whole new PS5 is just gonna piss people off more.
And what would be there reasoning for a Pro Console.
To stop people switching from Playstation to PC like the PS4 Pro?
Isn't that kinda redundant when you're porting your catalogue to the PC anyway.
Sony needs to stop hitting it's self

Last edited:
We already know about the Pro, I don't think every rumor article needs it's own thread at this point. We've all known about the PS5 Pro for months now, it's basically an open secret at this point, specs and all.

Roxkis_ii

So, then we could hear complaints about the graphics not being much better than what came before it, rinse-&-repeat? :goog_lol:

Its true we can't have it all as console gamers, but I would love to have more HD 60 fps single player games.

I feel like most of the games now are made to be 30 fps, then their adding the performance mode as an after thought, instead of being designed for 60 fps like a lot of multiplayer games are. Now we need pro consoles so the games that were designed for 30 fps doesn't suck in performance mode.

Man I had such a high hopes after HFW 60 fps mode, especially with it being a cross gen game, but everything after that has been downhill ever since as far as their performance mode.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We already know about the Pro, I don't think every rumor article needs it's own thread at this point. We've all known about the PS5 Pro for months now, it's basically an open secret at this point, specs and all.
Not really, it's just BS rumors.
We had an potato photo and real specs at this point with the PS4 Pro

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Its true we can't have it all as console gamers, but I would love to have more HD 60 fps single player games.

I feel like most of the games now are made to be 30 fps, then their adding the performance mode as an after thought, instead of being designed for 60 fps like a lot of multiplayer games are. Now we need pro consoles so the games that were designed for 30 fps doesn't suck in performance mode.

Man I had such a high hopes after HFW 60 fps mode, especially with it being a cross gen game, but everything after that has been downhill ever since as far as their performance mode.
Oh, I hear you. I just know what would happen if designers started focusing on res/fps closer than details. I warned people at the start of the gen (when cross gen games were even offering 120fps modes) that it was a very temp situation. They will always default to 30 if it means pushing more details.

saintjules

Read the entire thing and i am confused.
Is it a rumor or speculation from an analyst?

I think it's like Michael Pachter levels of speculation, but with CNBC going out of their way to make an article, I can't help but feel that it adds some credibility to the rumors.

damidu

lol at the "we don't need pro" takes, its beyond stupid at this point.
there are games down to 900p base res, and probably will go lower going forward.

if you are fine with it, good. nobody is forcing you to upgrade. don't see anyone complaining about yearly gpu releases.

this'll be the final nail on series coffin, because of their stupid 2-tier launch gamble. their boxes became low-end-x and trash-tier-s mid gen. its not sony's fault.
i think thats the reason for the most of the noise, just veiled console warring.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How would they even market it?

"Pay €100 more for more stable 60fps gaming and basic RT"?

I still think it's pretty pointless to release a Pro version.

It's pointless for people who legit don't care about extra power at all. In the same way the PS Portal is pointless for people that don't want to game away from where their PS5 is installed.

That doesn't mean it's pointless overall for Sony or pointless for millions of PlayStation gamers.

Top Bottom