• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

LOL at those suggesting that a hypothetical GTA V PS4 bundle alone would be bigger than the impact of the Advanced Warfare bundle + Halo MCC + Sunset bundle.

You guys do realize that although GTA V will sell millions on current gen, that 34 million+ have already played that game on last gen less than a year ago.

Now I'm sure some wise ass will probably ask Respect what do you think Halo MCC is? And I'd say to them that's a completely different situation. Halo 1 never had online multiplayer on console and Halo 2 multiplayer has been down for quite a while now.

Both have received the anniversary treatment. Halo 3+Halo 4 are thrown in at 1080/60 just to sweeten the deal that is already pure fan service. You're getting the ultimate Halo fan collection with 100+ multiplayer maps with several being remade to today's standards as well.

In addition, to this there is the Advanced Warfare bundle and I'd be willing to bet that it alone could potentially(keyword is potentially) outsell a PS4 GTA V bundle depending on the pricing of the latter and the reception of the former. Mainly, if that bundle is 450 like the Destiny bundle instead of a flat 400 like the general sku. If it is packaged with the console as "free" then I would have different expectations.

Advanced Warfare is a new game that I'm sure many are willing to use as a reason to upgrade their last gen consoles in order to experience the best version of the game.
GTA V has already sold 34 million+ on last gen consoles so even though some may feel a similar way about it, I doubt it's that large a number because most people already enjoyed it last year or are still enjoying it on PS3/360, while this is not the case with AW.

I'm sure I don't have to detail the clear reasons why the Sunset bundle will sell to it's obvious audience(s), so I'll just leave that there. I haven't even talked about other games like Forza Horizon 2 or Ori and the Blind Forest partly influencing others to make the jump for the best experience of those games as well.

Time will tell which console sells more in November. However, stating "LOL GTA V bundle" is not a very strong argument at all considering no such thing exists at this point and that there are other factors involved than simply the name of the game in determining how much it would sell.

AniHawk

Wii beating Vita really cements how bad that thing sold this month. Bless the hearts of publishers like NISA and XSeed, hopefully they'll continue localizing.

i think after next year (so in 2016), unless they have some sort of big franchise for their fanbase like ys/legend of heroes or disgaea/danganronpa, they really need to get out of there.

Wii beating Vita really cements how bad that thing sold this month. Bless the hearts of publishers like NISA and XSeed, hopefully they'll continue localizing.

Not to be a downer but this isn't the first month that's happened [Wii > Vita]

:(

i think after next year (so in 2016), unless they have some sort of big franchise for their fanbase like ys/legend of heroes or disgaea/danganronpa, they really need to get out of there.

Maybe go Vita/PS4? Not sure what else they can do. Maybe go PC too?

AniHawk

Maybe go Vita/PS4? Not sure what else they can do. Maybe go PC too?

steam/ps4. if not that, then they should do more nintendo handheld stuff - nisa in particular, who seems less interested in the digital front (and xseed already does plenty of nintendo stuff).

Has it happened post-Vita Slim? That's specifically why I pointed it out.

Yes, happened in June but not July

steam/ps4. if not that, then they should do more nintendo handheld stuff - nisa in particular, who seems less interested in the digital front (and xseed already does plenty of nintendo stuff).

Yeah I suppose you could transition those types of games to Nintendo portables maybe. I assume they're not too graphical intensive?

SmokyDave

They will. There were enough users last month, there'll be enough next month.

The Vita has been in the shitter for more than a year in the US. Pubs know what they're dealing with.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tough job ahead for Phil. Xbox One is a pretty good console and I love it very much since day one, even prefer it more than PS4. But it seems most of customers are not convinced. MS needs to find a way to solve this issue.

From history, consoles with weak power can still win the competition such as PS/PS2/Wii. That proved the most important factor is still the games.

PS/PS2 both relied heavily on 'power' - and associated PR - to establish themselves.

XB1 is the first system from either Sony or MS to be inarguably less powerful than an existing console on the market. (We could argue about PS3 I guess which is why I add the 'inarguably' qualifier there).

What propelled PS1/PS2 after more powerful competitors arrived was library and social mirroring - people buying what everyone else was getting. But the perception of power, and superior power over predecessors and other recently released machines (Saturn/DC), was a huge part of the hype machine involved in getting them to that point of being 'the popular choice'.

The biggest challenge XB1 faces isn't games but overcoming social behaviour IMO. I would guess an early, roughly, 2x lead for PS4 (globally) after a year of both on the market presents substantial social preference for PS4 that has the risk of becoming self-propelling...if it hasn't already.

AniHawk

Yeah I suppose you could transition those types of games to Nintendo portables maybe. I assume they're not too graphical intensive?

nisa does strategy games and visual novels and rpgs. xseed does rpgs and some strategy-ish stuff (legend of heroes). if we're talking next-gen, it shouldn't be that bad.

Orgen

Holy shit people even asking for the pages containing the numbers... it must be exasperating for the leakers to see "where are mah 3DS nambers?11!!?!11?" when they've explained a thousand times that right now this thread draws a lot of unwanted attention. Some of you are really something else, seriously.

Anyway, regarding (the lack of) MK8 legs... I think the end of the free game promotion has a bigger impact than some people thought. Since August MK8 has been dropping from the european charts at an alarming rate and now from the NPD too... I don't think August = low sales is the explanation and September NPD's numbers will reflect that.

At least is selling more than Wii U HW right? (and in Japan too). I think that it will surpass Double Dash numbers WW in the end.

And one question I didn't see asked: Is Mario 3D World tracking better tan Mario Sunshine? or worse?

Striek

I'm sure I don't have to detail the clear reasons why the Sunset bundle will sell to it's obvious audience(s),

I'm not really interested in the rest of your post or what effect bundles will have on sales in general these holidays, but you do have to detail this for me.

What noteworthy, obvious audience is there for the Sunset bundle?

Daviii

1s6fau.jpg

They simply had to release the kinectless sku. Look at those gradients.

SmokyDave

I hope you haven't found the number yet. You don't need to see it :(
I haven't seen it. I'm guessing we're talking 4-7k or something?

I mean, even before the stock issues it was only pulling 15-20k a month. The US just doesn't want the device and I don't think there's anything Sony could do to change that.

Fortunately, it's made no difference to the support of the device. Perhaps because there wasn't much to lose in the first place.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think MS has a pretty good chance at taking November. They will likely have the best deals (look at what they have already offered pre-Holiday season) and they will have Halo out that month. With that said, I really wonder how much PS4 sells this holiday. 2 million?

I think November will clearly have an uptick in interest for Xbox one, but PSA4 should have a momentum advantage coming into the holidays. Going to be interesting to watch. I wonder if Sony has stock for this fall - they've been trending globally at 1m units a month so when will they have had time to stockpile for Q4?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
LOL at those suggesting that a hypothetical GTA V PS4 bundle alone would be bigger than the impact of the Advanced Warfare bundle + Halo MCC + Sunset bundle.

Time will tell which console sells more in November. However, stating "LOL GTA V bundle" is not a very strong argument at all considering no such thing exists at this point and that there are other factors involved than simply the name of the game in determining how much it would sell.

November is coming and by then the PS4 will be close to a 1m lead in terms of harware. With Madden performing better on PS4 I have no doubt that Advanced Warfare will do the same, at least in the short run.

But, here's the thing. Most of us who predict it will be close but in PS4's favour we don't really care that the PS4 is doing better. It's just good for the industry to have a console do as well. If the XBO comes out on top we'll know what the reasons were for that to have happened. If the PS4 comes in first place: how will you be able to cope with that? How will you be able to justify that?

Yeah, there are already games we still need and probably more coming since the thing sells well in Japan.

I think its a pretty big leap of faith to believe that the audience of people buying Rock Bands and Guitar Heroes on PS360 are going to stick around for the Killzones and Halos, but the audience that bought Mario Karts and NSMBWiis all ran off to get an iPad instead.

Narrowing it down to those, I'm not saying they won't miss them at all but those peripheral-based music games were already seemingly getting talked about less and less even while the Wii was going. They aren't exactly portable since you need the accessories and used to do well on traditional consoles, so I don't think they were only effected by losing their audience to phones/ipads, but also time since those types of games were popular for quite a while way back to the huge DDR.

I also didn't say they'd stick around for Killzones and Halos, but they probably weren't sticking around anyway unless those peripheral music games come back, dance games had already seemed to have jumped over the Rock Bands and Guitar Heroes.

I'm not really interested in the rest of your post or what effect bundles will have on sales in general these holidays, but you do have to detail this for me.

What noteworthy, obvious audience is there for the Sunset bundle?

Reason 1: Some PS4 owners are interested in the XB1 as a "secondary" console that they will use solely for exclusives such as FH2, Halo MCC, Sunset, etc.

Reason 2: It is a new color of the Xbox One that comes bundled with an exclusive game. This could be appealing to many without a current gen console and are looking to make the jump. Many also prefer the look of the white version to the standard edition and have been waiting on it.

Those are two audiences that it will have. No one has claimed Sunset alone will have that large impact it's the combination of that bundle, AW bundle, Halo MCC and the other factors.

LOCK

It's amazing how consistent the PS4 is on a weekly basis. The XB1 increase could be just the bundle working, but it too is consistent. Either way, I wish both would have done better, but maybe lots of people are waiting for Destiny.

The Wii U had a better M/M decline compared to the June/July decline. I think Mario Kart 8 is doing a good job at keeping interest in the system, now Nintendo needs to go full throtal starting this Month. I expect Disney Infinity 2 will do really well on the system, and I wonder if we get an announcement that some amiibo figures will work in the game. Iwata hinted at this when they were announced. The 3DS is in an odd place right now. No real significant software for Nintendo systems the past two months, so these sales are really not surprising.

And dammit people go buy PLvsAA.

Edit- I'll make a comment about the overall industry and how this August compares YOY and current YTD growth later tomorrow.

November is coming and by then the PS4 will be close to a 1m lead in terms of harware. With Madden performing better on PS4 I have no doubt that Advanced Warfare will do the same, at least in the short run.

But, here's the thing. Most of us who predict it will be close but in PS4's favour we don't really care that the PS4 is doing better. It's just good for the industry to have a console do as well. If the XBO comes out on top we'll know what the reasons were for that to have happened. If the PS4 comes in first place: how will you be able to cope with that? How will you be able to justify that?

First of all, I haven't predicted any console "winning" November yet as I have stated multiple times in the thread. There are too many factors in play for me to accurately predict this as I've said and I'm merely providing another viewpoint to the driveby GTA V bundle posts(not suggesting all of them are).
Of course if the Xbox One comes out on top we'll know why, I never suggested anything contrary to this...

How will I cope with what? I don't have any allegiance to a piece of plastic. I've gone on record multiple times in other threads that I WILL buy a PS4 sometime next year mainly for the JRPGS that will be exclusive to it like Persona 5 and Bloodborne. I also loved TLOU so I want to play any future sequel in the likely upcoming franchise.

Finally, tbh I don't really care who sells more and who doesn't I just like to have these types of discussions.

RexNovis

Banned
assuming Wii U is the 3rd largest segment (lol if somehow 360>Wii U) it's around 59.5k, averaging the PS4 and XB1 reference points

edit:
PS4=190k
XB1=160k
Wii U~59.5k
360~49k
PS3~27k
Wii~13.4k

Well if this is right my prediction for 360 was right on the nose and my PS4, WiiU and PS3 predictions were really close. I kinda missed the bucket on XB1 though.17k shy there.

[PS4] 192K
[XB1] 143K
[3DS] 98K
[WIU] 61K
[360] 49K
[PS3] 31K

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Last month: PS4 > XBO > 3DS > Wii U > 360 > PS3 > Death > Vita > Wii

This month: PS4 > XBO > 3DS > Wii U > 360 > PS3 > Death > Wii > Vita

See why it's boring? It's in that mid-range.

So, using transitivity: Wii U > Death?

dolemite

PS3 sales appear to be the first casualty of this gen transition. The late late crowd has chosen their dirt cheap console and it is Xbox 360.

PS3 sales appear to be the first casualty of this gen transition. The late late crowd has chosen their dirt cheap console and it is Xbox 360.

Eh I don't think it's that hard of a choice in North America. The PS3 was massively outsold in this region so of course they would go for the one that much more of their friends own if that is a factor to them.

Oh Sony. Ship some damn Vita's to the USA! I realise it's not going to make the situation a whole lot better but at least if people could find the damn thing...

Lemondish

You guys do realize that although GTA V will sell millions on current gen, that 34 million+ have already played that game on last gen less than a year ago.

Now I'm sure some wise ass will probably ask Respect what do you think Halo MCC is? And I'd say to them that's a completely different situation. Halo 1 never had online multiplayer on console and Halo 2 multiplayer has been down for quite a while now.

Both have received the anniversary treatment. Halo 3+Halo 4 are thrown in at 1080/60 just to sweeten the deal that is already pure fan service. You're getting the ultimate Halo fan collection with 100+ multiplayer maps with several being remade to today's standards as well.

In addition, to this there is the Advanced Warfare bundle and I'd be willing to bet that it alone could potentially(keyword is potentially) outsell a PS4 GTA V bundle depending on the pricing of the latter and the reception of the former. Mainly, if that bundle is 450 like the Destiny bundle instead of a flat 400 like the general sku. If it is packaged with the console as "free" then I would have different expectations.

Advanced Warfare is a new game that I'm sure many are willing to use as a reason to upgrade their last gen consoles in order to experience the best version of the game.
GTA V has already sold 34 million+ on last gen consoles so even though some may feel a similar way about it, I doubt it's that large a number because most people already enjoyed it last year or are still enjoying it on PS3/360, while this is not the case with AW.

I'm sure I don't have to detail the clear reasons why the Sunset bundle will sell to it's obvious audience(s), so I'll just leave that there. I haven't even talked about other games like Forza Horizon 2 or Ori and the Blind Forest partly influencing others to make the jump for the best experience of those games as well.

I'm going to make a bold prediction and state that no bundle will help Xbox One beat PS4 this holiday season. It won't happen.

I'm going to make a bold prediction and state that no bundle will help Xbox One beat PS4 this holiday season. It won't happen.

Of course your entitled to your own opinion. Personally, just as I have stated earlier in the thread, I have not predicted which console will "win" in November due to the large amount of factors in play, but all anyone can do right now is speculate until the NPDs come out. Regardless, I think that the November NPD thread will be very interesting no matter how it turns out.

Top Bottom