• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

XB1 is surely doing better than Wii U in Uk, but it's also true that Xbox One is doing AWFUL outside of UK, even more than Wii U. However, it has to be seen wheter, currently, Xbox One UK sales over Wii U are enough to overbalance Wii U sales over Xbox One outside of UK.
I don't really know what the basis for the bold is. We have cumulative sales in the German market for instance of 170K v. 350K from memory, but one is over the course of like 8 months while the other is like 20 months or something. The current rates could be essentially equivalent, or the XB1 may be selling more, or the Wii U may be selling more.

fwdyuz.gif

I don't know what this is, but it's mesmerising.

I don't think Halo is a big deal. These are old Halo titles being released on the system where Halo fans will naturally congregate. It's the best form of fan service, but the Halo enthusiast this appeals to is likely to have already purchased the box. There's little generational crossover of PlayStation fans to Xbox this time around so it isn't exactly able to target a massive new audience the way TLoU:R did or a theoretical Uncharted collection might. This is a great game for the core Xbox fan but I am not convinced it will light anything on fire.

No one has said anything about sales being lit on fire due to Halo MCC. I also said similar things about Halo MCC being a remake collection so I don't expect it to be as massive of a reason as a Halo 5.

Many have already stated they are buying the XB1 solely for this collection on GAF once it releases so there is clearly demand for it. Some of these individuals are also PS4 owners. I'd assume that a big portion of them may be 360 to PS4 converts who still want to play Halo.

I don't think the majority of the Halo fanbase has bought the Xbox One yet tbh. I'm not sure whether you have a 360 or not, but on my 360 friends list there are many people who are still playing Halo 3 and haven't upgraded to the XB1 yet.

I know some of them personally and many of them are waiting on Halo MCC and others are waiting on Halo 5. There also appears to be a sizable portion of individuals who mainly game on PC who want an XB1 solely for Halo MCC.

Perhaps, you think nearly everyone who bought an Xbox One is a big Halo fan, however I sincerely doubt that this is the case.

Finally, it is not only about Halo MCC. It is that plus the many other factors that have already been discussed.

I don't really know what the basis for the bold is. We have cumulative sales in the German market for instance of 170K v. 350K from memory, but one is over the course of like 8 months while the other is like 20 months or something. The current rates could be essentially equivalent, or the XB1 may be selling more, or the Wii U may be selling more.

keep in mind the Xbox One price drop is still relatively recent. For most of the Xbox One's lifespan so far it's been substantially more expensive than the PS4 with no real compelling reason.

That's off the table, the two are at price parity, and MS has shown a willingness to take the hits they need to to stay competitive- free games, buying timed exclusivity, expanding first party studios, etc. They're going to get blown out by Sony no matter what, but it won't be a failure- they're still going to be carrying 99% of the third party titles sony has, with their own stable of exclusives along with it.

The WiiU long term is finished WW. Nintendo has launched every heavy hitter it has sans smash brothers and nothing is changing the status quo. Mario Kart is their second strongest franchise and it's nowhere close to wii numbers. They'll be carrying no third party titles at all that don't have "Lego" in the title. Nintendo isn't beating Microsoft WW with 1 or 2 big first party titles a year and nothing else.

The XBone has a full 3rd party support from every publisher while WiiU has zero outside of the Lego franchises. I don't see how WiiU can do anything close to XBone when MSFT is about to release a FIFA15 bundle.

Well, no one is buying Nintendo consoles for third party games :p
If you want 3rd party support and the best versions of 3rd party games you're going to buy a Ps4. If you want Nintendo (exclusive) games you're going to buy a WiiU. The XBone is a good console but it's also kind of pointless to me.

Gosh darn Sony has never updated truly on Vita LTD sales, not even shipments. Hmph. I tried to count what it would be using Sonys quarterly results page numbers.

PSP
FY04 2.97
FY05 14.06
FY06 8.36/9.53
FY07 13.89
FY08 14.11
FY09 9.9
FY10 8.0
PSP+PSV
FY11 6.8
FY12 7.0
FY13 4.1
FY14q1 0.75
PSP est. 76-80
PSP FY04-10: 71.29/72.46
PSP+PSV FY11-14: 18.65
If PSP 76 -> PSV: 13.94/15.11
If PSP 80 -> PSV: 9.94/11.11

For some reason Sony has 2 different numbers for FY06 results which is weird... so I just used both. And yes this includes PSTV since those count for Vita sales in Japan. So at worst WW LTD shipments is about 9.94 m. Quite a lot actually. Did I do counting mistake anywhere? Or is this too off-topic?

If you want 3rd party support and the best versions of 3rd party games you're going to buy a Ps4. If you want Nintendo (exclusive) games you're going to buy a WiiU. The XBone is a good console but it's also kind of pointless to me.

No one is buying nintendo consoles period.

Cornbread78

Oh Sony. Ship some damn Vita's to the USA! I realise it's not going to make the situation a whole lot better but at least if people could find the damn thing...

Still haven't figured out why they stopped shipping them when they were selling at a slow rate at least..

jelly

I think people are taking the wait and see approach with Xbox One while going with the safe bet of a PS4 for their next gen experience.

Give Xbox One a slim make over, improved UI along with Halo 5 and other new games starting to show up and a decent back catalogue all at a much better price, people will be more willing to jump in. An appealing refresh that is fully baked is what consumers will like to buy. There is too much negativity attached to the Xbox One, relaunch at E3 2015, new look, new branding, new games, new price.

Raist

Banned
I think people are taking the wait and see approach with Xbox One while going with the safe bet of a PS4 for their next gen experience.

Give Xbox One a slim make over, improved UI along with Halo 5 and other new games starting to show up and a decent back catalogue all at a much better price, people will be more willing to jump in. An appealing refresh that is fully baked is what consumers will like to buy. There is too much negativity attached to the Xbox One, relaunch at E3 2015, new look, new branding, new games, new price.

None of that will magically change its image. Damage is done.

Then why is Nintendo still in second place worldwide (sales, WiiU)?

WiiU sales were massively frontloaded, and it's had an extra holiday season on the market? not rocket science. Also keep in mind what I just wrote regarding the Xbox One pricing.

Outside of launch, month to month the wiiU has been abysmal, and it'll be firmly in third after holiday season 2014 is done.

Amir0x

Banned
Wii U @ 60k. My God. Yeah, it's never even going to match Gamecube numbers.

LOL at those suggesting that a hypothetical GTA V PS4 bundle alone would be bigger than the impact of the Advanced Warfare bundle + Halo MCC + Sunset bundle.

You guys do realize that although GTA V will sell millions on current gen, that 34 million+ have already played that game on last gen less than a year ago.

Now I'm sure some wise ass will probably ask Respect what do you think Halo MCC is? And I'd say to them that's a completely different situation. Halo 1 never had online multiplayer on console and Halo 2 multiplayer has been down for quite a while now.

Both have received the anniversary treatment. Halo 3+Halo 4 are thrown in at 1080/60 just to sweeten the deal that is already pure fan service. You're getting the ultimate Halo fan collection with 100+ multiplayer maps with several being remade to today's standards as well.

Being basically a walking advertisement for Halo: MCC is not actually going to change the fact that in all likelihood, the GTAV bundle is going to outsell the Advanced Warfighter bundle and that combination of games. Things go much deeper now for XBO than the mere issues of game selection.

The problem with your argument, as so many other arguments like this, is that it believes it exists in a vacuum. Not only does PS4 have Advanced Warfighter - and sales have shown that PS4 has had extremely competitive Call of Duty sales with XBO over the course of the year - but PS4 has its own slate of games this season, from DriveClub to LittleBigPlanet 3. You can say you personally believe all these other games are going to destroy whatever combination of games PS4 has, but it doesn't matter. PS4 has all the games that matter this season. It has the Maddens, the Call of Duty, the Assassin's Creeds and the Grand Theft Auto V. It has the Destiny's, the Battlefields. It does not matter that these are multiplatform.

Consumers have demonstrated time and time again that if a platform is already overall preferable, those games are going to factor into their consideration of which to get. PS4 is already the de facto go-to machine right now. It has all the games that matter to make it sell more when combined with that simple fact. And it has been.

Even in the month with Microsoft's arguable biggest third party exclusive, Titanfall, PS4 still outsold it in that month. Even in the month when Microsoft dropped its price to $399 minus Kinect, PS4 still outsold it.

And later this year you're going to find out that even in the month where Xbox One has Halo: MCC, Advanced Warfighter (PS4 has it too) and Sunset Overdrive, PS4 is going to prevail. I genuinely hope - since it seems so important to you - that Xbox One triumphs and can do a parade so you can celebrate. But the trajectories and trend lines are clear. Nothing is going to happen for the remainder of the year that is any more significant than what has already happened, and none of that yet helped XBO beat PS4 in a month.

Advanced Warfare is a new game that I'm sure many are willing to use as a reason to upgrade their last gen consoles in order to experience the best version of the game.
GTA V has already sold 34 million+ on last gen consoles so even though some may feel a similar way about it, I doubt it's that large a number because most people already enjoyed it last year or are still enjoying it on PS3/360, while this is not the case with AW.

Doesn't matter. I played GTAV on PS3, I traded it back after 5 hours and I've been waiting for the next-gen version. There are 7 billion people on the planet. The next-gen console versions on both XBO and PS4 are going to sell extremely well. We have plenty of historic examples of remasters and ports selling fantastically.

However, stating "LOL GTA V bundle" is not a very strong argument

Except you said, literally:

LOL at those suggesting that a hypothetical GTA V PS4 bundle alone would be bigger than the impact of the Advanced Warfare bundle + Halo MCC + Sunset bundle.

Maybe you should show others some respect for their views then?

Wii U at 60!
Xbone at 159!

Holy crap not even the madden bundle saved the X1.
Man I thought for sure it would break 200 this month.

Yeah nothing is saving X1 this holiday thats for sure.

Bgamer90

Banned
Then why is Nintendo still in second place worldwide (sales, WiiU)?

It has been around a year longer. It's going to be third place very soon based on the current sales. Don't see things improving at all -- Mario Kart is pretty much the most popular Nintendo home console game (thanks to it being heavily focused on multiplayer) and that didn't help for very long. Don't see things getting much better from here; especially with such huge gaps in between big game releases.

I mean when comparing lineups, the PS4 and XB1 makes the Wii U look like a brand new console. Wii U is going into its third year but yet the lineup of the system (in quantity) is similar to a brand new console during its first year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wrong bgamer90. Again. Bayonetta 2 and luigi death stare's long legs will push Wii u to heaven. Also the effect of treehouse streaming and operation #smashxboxone

When are people going to apologize to polygon btw for the Mario kart shens

Wii U @ 60k. My God. Yeah, it's never even going to match Gamecube numbers.

Being basically a walking advertisement for Halo: MCC is not actually going to change the fact that in all likelihood, the GTAV bundle is going to outsell the Advanced Warfighter bundle and that combination of games. Things go much deeper now for XBO than the mere issues of game selection.

The problem with your argument, as so many other arguments like this, is that it believes it exists in a vacuum. Not only does PS4 have Advanced Warfighter - and sales have shown that PS4 has had extremely competitive Call of Duty sales with XBO over the course of the year - but PS4 has its own slate of games this season, from DriveClub to LittleBigPlanet 3. You can say you personally believe all these other games are going to destroy whatever combination of games PS4 has, but it doesn't matter. PS4 has all the games that matter this season. It has the Maddens, the Call of Duty, the Assassin's Creeds and the Grand Theft Auto V. It has the Destiny's, the Battlefields. It does not matter that these are multiplatform.

Consumers have demonstrated time and time again that if a platform is already overall preferable, those games are going to factor into their consideration of which to get. PS4 is already the de facto go-to machine right now. It has all the games that matter to make it sell more when combined with that simple fact. And it has been.

Even in the month with Microsoft's arguable biggest third party exclusive, Titanfall, PS4 still outsold it in that month. Even in the month when Microsoft dropped its price to $399 minus Kinect, PS4 still outsold it.

And later this year you're going to find out that even in the month where Xbox One has Halo: MCC, Advanced Warfighter (PS4 has it too) and Sunset Overdrive, PS4 is going to prevail. I genuinely hope - since it seems so important to you - that Xbox One triumphs and can do a parade so you can celebrate. But the trajectories and trend lines are clear. Nothing is going to happen for the remainder of the year that is any more significant than what has already happened, and none of that yet helped XBO beat PS4 in a month.

Doesn't matter. I played GTAV on PS3, I traded it back after 5 hours and I've been waiting for the next-gen version. There are 7 billion people on the planet. The next-gen console versions on both XBO and PS4 are going to sell extremely well. We have plenty of historic examples of remasters and ports selling fantastically.

Except you said, literally:

Maybe you should show others some respect for their views then?

I've already discussed this ad nauseum man I'm not going to continue to reply to every single poster that quotes me. I've brought up counter arguments to everything you've stated in that post already and made it clear on what my viewpoints are. No one has any disrespect for anyone, I only laughed because so many were saying that a GTA V bundle that doesn't even exist at this point and time completely nullifies everything that is coming out for XB1.

Yes remasters can sell very well, but they generally do not outsell a new AAA game. I highly doubt the GTA V remaster will outsell Advanced Warfare on current gen consoles.

I haven't discounted the PS4 exclusives AT ALL. However, let's not be naive here Advanced Warfare and Halo MCC will make a bigger dent than either of those titles. You could even argue that Sunset might depending on how well the reception is.

Throwing out general statements that we already know like how many people are on the planet or that the PS4 is the de facto console for multiplats means nothing. We are only talking about November NPD, NOT anything else. I haven't even claimed that the XB1 will outsell the PS4 in that month anyway.

Bgamer90

Banned
Wii U at 60!
Xbone at 159!

Holy crap not even the madden bundle saved the X1.
Man I thought for sure it would break 200 this month.

Then I'm assuming you thought the PS4 would be higher than 200K too right?

Yeah nothing is saving X1 this holiday thats for sure.

Madden doesn't compare to the AAA games coming this Holiday. While I wouldn't say that the XB1 will beat the PS4 in November or December, I wouldn't use how it did alongside Madden to determine that.

Amir0x

Banned
Wrong bgamer90. Again. Bayonetta 2 and luigi death stare's long legs will push Wii u to heaven. Also the effect of treehouse streaming and operation #smashxboxone

now it's Smash Bros. and Amiibos brother

the dream lives on

For some reason Sony has 2 different numbers for FY06 results which is weird... so I just used both.

"Beginning with Q1 FY07, the method of reporting hardware and software unit sales has been changed from production shipments to recorded sales"

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q4_eleki.pdf

Btw the FY11 figure (6.8m) don't include Vita (see slide 15)

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/11q4_sonypre.pdf

Last official figure we have for PSP sales is 76.3m as of March 31, 2012.

jelly

None of that will magically change its image. Damage is done.

Maybe not but it's major chance to clean some of the slate. Least we forget, 360 with RROD and PS3 price and software struggles.

MS may just have to swallow the be cheaper than PS4 pill or crazy town, online gaming free for all!

Amir0x

Banned
Yes remasters can sell very well, but they generally do not outsell a new AAA game. I highly doubt the GTA V remaster will outsell Advanced Warfare on current gen consoles.

I haven't discounted the PS4 exclusives AT ALL. However, let's not be naive here Advanced Warfare and Halo MCC will make a bigger dent than either of those titles. You could even argue that Sunset might depending on how well the reception is.

You've missed the point. Objectively, we both know Advanced Warfighter and Halo: MCC are almost certainly going to outsell DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet 3. But that doesn't matter. Those games are 'part' appeal, but PS4 has on top of those all the games that matter - including GTAV, including Advanced Warfighter, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed etc. It has the noteworthy quality that these multiplatform games will likely run better technically on PS4. It has the noteworthy quality of being on the system that the market has decided is preferable at the moment.

People keep trying to focus in on the exclusives like they are the factor that changes all games. Sometimes it does. But just like the launch, even though I'd argue XBO's lineup was better, it doesn't matter. Because PS4 has the games that matter to consumers, while having the console feature combinations that consumers decided are superior.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Oh man "superior" fashion? I gotta get in on that. Difference has got to be amazing I'm sure.
EL OH EL
still cracks me up that people act like the cross-plat games are ever gonna be extremely different from each other. showmethereceipts.gif

wasn't this the reason 360 dominated in US/UK last gen??

geordiemp

Thought mods were supposed to add reason and logic to the debate.....

If WiiU gets to heaven is it officially dead ? ~#confused...

You've missed the point. Objectively, we both know Advanced Warfighter and Halo: MCC are almost certainly going to outsell DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet 3. But that doesn't matter. Those games are 'part' appeal, but PS4 has on top of those all the games that matter - including GTAV, including Advanced Warfighter, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed etc. It has the noteworthy quality that these multiplatform games will likely run better technically on PS4. It has the noteworthy quality of being on the system that the market has decided is preferable at the moment.

People keep trying to focus in on the exclusives like they are the factor that changes all games. Sometimes it does. But just like the launch, even though I'd argue XBO's lineup was better, it doesn't matter. Because PS4 has the games that matter to consumers, while having the console feature combinations that consumers decided are superior.

I've already stated basically exactly what you are saying now as reasons why it HASN'T outsold the PS4 since December.

Refer here for more info:

People have been looking forward to "interesting" NPD numbers for 10 months. In reality it's been fairly uninteresting.

What a generalization that is. I personally never thought it would be interesting perhaps other than the Titanfall month and I still thought that was iffy.

I think many were misguided in the assessment that every month will be interesting. The truth is the PS4 is a more powerful console than the XB1 and so far nearly every notable game on current gen has been multiplatform. Those games can be played in a "superior" fashion on PS4 usually. Why would the XB1 magically outsell the PS4 when there hasn't been a game in months on it that hasn't played better on the more popular system?

November easily has the most reason/factors since the console has been out. I haven't made my decision on what will occur in that month, but comparing it to any other month is silly.

But hey I'm sure you'll come up with a witty response about how this is just another thing on the checklist, right?

-----

Also, since you seem to think that this is "important" to me, refer here:

November is coming and by then the PS4 will be close to a 1m lead in terms of harware. With Madden performing better on PS4 I have no doubt that Advanced Warfare will do the same, at least in the short run.

But, here's the thing. Most of us who predict it will be close but in PS4's favour we don't really care that the PS4 is doing better. It's just good for the industry to have a console do as well. If the XBO comes out on top we'll know what the reasons were for that to have happened. If the PS4 comes in first place: how will you be able to cope with that? How will you be able to justify that?

First of all, I haven't predicted any console "winning" November yet as I have stated multiple times in the thread. There are too many factors in play for me to accurately predict this as I've said and I'm merely providing another viewpoint to the driveby GTA V bundle posts(not suggesting all of them are).
Of course if the Xbox One comes out on top we'll know why, I never suggested anything contrary to this...

How will I cope with what? I don't have any allegiance to a piece of plastic. I've gone on record multiple times in other threads that I WILL buy a PS4 sometime next year mainly for the JRPGS that will be exclusive to it like Persona 5 and Bloodborne. I also loved TLOU so I want to play any future sequel in the likely upcoming franchise.

Finally, tbh I don't really care who sells more and who doesn't I just like to have these types of discussions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

What debate? How can you possibly miss that Wii u has 12 extra months on the market and that's why it is in second place? It's like debating why the sun is hot.

Another way to phrase this:

If we frame the discussion specifically about Sony, then Sony is doing quite well. The PS4 is doing better than the PS3 did in almost all capacities; software sales, hardware sales, profit.

If we frame the discussion to be about consoles generally, then the PS4 is in many ways a bad sign. It's underperforming what we would expect from a market leader, and that's without factoring in that we expect each generation to be bigger than the last, which isn't even close to happening right now.

The former perspective is more important right now, and definitely more important if you're a PS4-centric gamer. The latter perspective is more important long term, both for other companies but also for Sony.

As a market leader, I think that the PS4 is the most expensive in the last generations.
PS2 was 299, Wii 250, 360 started at 299. Without any temporal advantage to build momentum over the others (like PS2 and 360)
PS4 atm hasn't a steady flow of releases, had so few strong titles able to move hardware and/or strong exclusives from a commercial pov.
I think that we're unable to tell the real potential of the ps4 on the market, as a market leader.

4dsU2 will carry the Ashes of the U on his left hand, and the Crown of Threeds on his right, and return the King of Understanding to his rightful throne.

Cornbread78

I don't think Namco is losing faith in the West. This was a sequel to a mainline title released at a time where the PS3 is declining severely. Europe is also has a sizeable audience for Tales as well.

Zestiria is probably going to come fall 2015, PS4 has to be there if Namco does not want to be disappointed.

Damn thats a drop. I recall when some posters were saying the WiiU was turning around, that it could outsell XB1 consistently and now its back to 60k.

Tales of Xillia2 should have been xgen. That would have put it our there as the biggest jrpg on the console..

Paracelsus

Tales of Xillia2 should have been xgen. That would have put it our there as the biggest jrpg on the console..

Xillia 2 should have been Xillia 1+2, Xillia 1 should have never released as it did, Zestiria should have never been considered for PS3, at best it should have been a PS4 title with a sloppy PS3 down-port.

Ty4on

It'd have to be a serious debate first.

isn't the doubling of software numbers due to the 'buy an xbox one and get a free game' giveaway promo?

That's September. This month it was Madden and last month being really slow.
MS also just said "sales" almost doubled. As in it could be anything...

Raist

Banned
Maybe not but it's major chance to clean some of the slate. Least we forget, 360 with RROD and PS3 price and software struggles.

MS may just have to swallow the be cheaper than PS4 pill or crazy town, online gaming free for all!

Comparing with other consoles in completely different situations is pointless.
And Live is never going to be free.

Death2494

This. At even at its current price point, Ps4 still offers a better value. There isn't anything that makes me want to go buy an Xbox One when I can get the Ps4 for the same price. The wii u deluxe can be purchased for close to $200. Nintendo still offer more exclusives than Microsoft and that is just a fact

Top Bottom