• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

I would be legit shocked if it was sub 400k. There are several months worth of white PS4 sales all counting in one month, plus the standard sku, plus whatever boost just Destiny gives.

Yeah.

Does Sony still have rights for a GTAV bundle?

A PS4 GTA V bundle would obliterate.

Unknown but it seems likely since the remaster was announced at Sony's E3 conference.

Agreed, it would be a huge get for a new bundle.

This reliability factor is key for greenlighting new AAA games.

If it wasn't essentially guaranteed, for example, that GTA V would be a smash hit based on the precedent of prior GTA releases, it would make no financial sense for Take-Two to pour $265 million into its development and marketing.

The predictability also lends itself to consolidation and fewer risk-taking, a situation that's endemic to the industry as sequels continue to underperform their predecessors.

The risk taking will come from indie games which are now the low and middle tier.
I mean lets be serious the entertainments industry does not spend huge amounts of money on IP ( new or old) unless it has some sort of predictability.

QaaQer

Yes. That is all sales from last gen (PS2/PS3/360/Wii) compared to PS4/One/WiiU/PS3/360 today. As will be noted, the decline is (thus far) almost entirely a consequence of Nintendo's decline and 360/PS3's unexpectedly sharp drop offs. On the other hand, historically when one competitor has done worse in a new generation, the others have taken up the slack (e.g. last generation with Sony's collapse, Nintendo and Microsoft did much better). That doesn't seem to be happening this generation.

So it's all Nintendo's fault. I knew it.

Wait, what about the Vita?

Well, this isn't some new phenomenon. Do you know how everyone's Dad seems to have dated taste in music that no longer represents the mainstream? How 40 year olds of every generation think the new music that kids are listening to is "just noise?" How kids today read books like Twilight and Vampire Academy instead of Roald Dahl or Gertrude Warner? How kids today aren't interested in 2D animation films any more?

Yes, it is reasonable to assume that your taste in games will fall out fashion and eventually be replaced by stuff that you hate. That is not particular to you, or to gaming, though. Welcome to the wonderful world of "you're getting older."

Harsh but true... oh well...

So I looked at the release dates for Microsoft's marketing push this holiday.

October 28th - Sunset Overdrive
November 4th - Advanced Warfare
November 11th - Halo MCC
November 11th - Assassin's Creed: Unity
November 18th - Dragon Age: Inquisition

Sony's looks like

November 18th - FarCry 4
November 18th - GTAV
November 18th - LBP3

I mean MS should have November done deal. They market games better than Sony does.

Sharpeye

November 11th - Halo MCC

Sony's looks like

November 18th - FarCry 4
November 18th - GTAV

I mean MS should have November done deal. They market games better than Sony does.
Are you just ignoring Drive club and LBP3 or what?

Are you just ignoring Drive club and LBP3 or what?

Ok edited in LBP3, Didn't include Driveclub because that releases on October 7th.

I included Sunset Overdrive, because it's only 3 days before november, and since it's a bundled white console, it could be bought with one of the game releases in November.

Wynnebeck

Banned

November 11th - Halo MCC

Sony's looks like

November 18th - FarCry 4
November 18th - GTAV
November 18th - LBP3

Yeah man. That marketing for Madden sure helped the Xbone SKU get #1 in August...oh wait.

November 11th - Halo MCC

Sony's looks like

November 18th - FarCry 4
November 18th - GTAV
November 18th - LBP3

What is this "Microsoft's marketing push " for AC:Unity and DA:Inquisition? Did MS invest money on marketing those 2 games the way Sony did to Destiny? Because I haven't seen commercials or anything suggesting that's the case.

What is this "Microsoft's marketing push " for AC:Unity and DA:Inquisition? Did MS invest money on marketing those 2 games the way Sony did to Destiny? Because I haven't seen commercials or anything suggesting that's the case.

I've seen a few commercials for AC Unity here in Canada with the Xbox logo at the end. Dragon Age has the exclusive content deal doesn;t it?

November 11th - Halo MCC

Sony's looks like

November 18th - FarCry 4
November 18th - GTAV
November 18th - LBP3

This is going to be a bloodbath.

Only way I see XB1 beating PS4 is if the PS4 is supply constrained personally and if that happens then MS might get a double win in Nov/Dec but even then, is it that likely?

I've seen a few commercials for AC Unity here in Canada with the Xbox logo at the end. Dragon Age has the exclusive content deal doesn;t it?

I haven't seen any AC:Unity commercial with Xbone logo in US. Also, Xbone will get a "premier content" for DA Inquisition first but we still have no idea what it is. I wouldn't call any of those two examples marketing push at all. Comparing to how much MS invested in NFL and how that helps selling Xbone version of the game.

November 11th - Halo MCC

Sony's looks like

November 18th - FarCry 4
November 18th - GTAV
November 18th - LBP3

*Looks at Madden*

Not that it's too interesting but I think the Gameinformer August NPD article has one or two other pieces of info the venturebeat one does not

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...res-xbox-one-and-ps4-sales-keep-trucking.aspx

The new hardware also represented 70 percent of the hardware sales in August, which is the biggest share they’ve had since launch in November 2013.

Last-gen software saw a big drop, amounting to a 57 percent dip from last August.

Of course the hardware quip does not matter at this point but I would've thought both articles would have basically equivalent information

I'm also not sure what this percentage is referring to exactly

Software was weak in the month, partially because of comparison against 2013’s strong lineup. Last year saw the release of Disney Infinity, Saints Row IV, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Payday 2, and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Disney Infinity 2.0’s September release represents a huge decrease just by itself, and overall sales were down 41 percent year-over-year.

Something along the lines of Disney Infinity being released in September instead of August being a real significant chunk of the overall software decline or something?

Hopy crap at Xbone 159k.

Is the assumption that PS4's lower HW number is because White Destiny bundle sales are not included? Surely for August that would only have added 10-15k sales?

Can you imagine the Black Friday deals with possible $30 PS+ subs again? Ridiculous.

Dang man!!!, i wanna get the Destiny bundle (because of the white PS4, don't care about Destiny @ all), but why'd you have to bring up the possibly scrumptious bundles that Sony may concoct?... gah!!!

Hopy crap at Xbone 159k.

Is the assumption that PS4's lower HW number is because White Destiny bundle sales are not included? Surely for August that would only have added 10-15k sales?

The Destiny / White PS4 SKU has seen incredible demand anecdotally, but its launch sales will only be realised in the September 2014 NPD reporting period.

Its effect is going to be much more than 10-15K sales.

geordiemp

Well, this isn't some new phenomenon. Do you know how everyone's Dad seems to have dated taste in music that no longer represents the mainstream? How 40 year olds of every generation think the new music that kids are listening to is "just noise?" How kids today read books like Twilight and Vampire Academy instead of Roald Dahl or Gertrude Warner? How kids today aren't interested in 2D animation films any more?

Yes, it is reasonable to assume that your taste in games will fall out fashion and eventually be replaced by stuff that you hate. That is not particular to you, or to gaming, though. Welcome to the wonderful world of "you're getting older."

Wow I feel old

Hmm you are confusing me.

Sorry not being clear: wouldn't White Destiny hardware bundle take away from PS4 npd sales in August and to what extent.

The Destiny / White PS4 SKU has seen incredible demand anecdotally, but its launch sales will only be realised in the September 2014 NPD reporting period.

Ok, yeah, in total, it will sell a lot more than that, pulled that number from thin air.

Phades

I had no idea that there were that many potential collectors out there in regard to consoles. I'm trying to reference collectors as folks specificially for the added extras or waiting for special releases like this.

Death2494

It has been around a year longer. It's going to be third place very soon based on the current sales. Don't see things improving at all -- Mario Kart is pretty much the most popular Nintendo home console game (thanks to it being heavily focused on multiplayer) and that didn't help for very long. Don't see things getting much better from here; especially with such huge gaps in between big game releases.

I mean when comparing lineups, the PS4 and XB1 makes the Wii U look like a brand new console. Wii U is going into its third year but yet the lineup of the system (in quantity) is similar to a brand new console during its first year.

The Xbox One is tracking at the same pace or below the Wii U worldwide. Xbox One doesn't have the luxury of relying on multi-platform titles because that is one of the reasons people are purchasing PS4s instead. Microsoft needs to bank on it's first party. In that aspect, Microsoft isn't too much better off than Nintendo. But I do believe it's only a matter of time before it overtakes the Wii U. But how long it would take is still up in the air.

MilesTeg

Banned
I thought Sony typically has the marketing agreement for Assassin's Creed? Don't they usually have that dumb 60 minutes of exclusive content thing?

Assassins Creed sells systems? since when?

Maybe not if it was by itself, but factoring it as a whole package in November.

Anyways, my whole point was, I would actually be surprised if XB1 doesn't win November in the US, eventhough PS4 has the mindshare so far.

Darn I just realized I'm spending $490 in one month.

GameSeeker

Very well said. I wish we could sticky posts like this.

I've watched gaming evolve from Arcades, to Pong, to Atari, to Nintendo, to Sony, to Microsoft, and now mobiles. Gaming is never going to go away, but it is going to evolve. I used to laugh at my friends when they said Arcades would last forever and home consoles would never replace them. I now laugh at gamers to who say iOS and Android aren't "real" gaming platforms and consoles will be around forever.

The world continually changes. Adapt or fall behind.

Quotient

I think November is going to be very interesting for both consoles as many folks are probably holding on till black-friday to get some great deals - i know i am for the PS4. It will also be a very telling month for Microsoft with many big name releases that month - particularly Halo, COD, and Sunset Overdrive (it is going to bleed into november).

Not only are people going to be looking for the xbox one to outsell the PS4, but to also outsell the 360 at the same point in its lifetime.

Very well said. I wish we could sticky posts like this.

I've watched gaming evolve from Arcades, to Pong, to Atari, to Nintendo, to Sony, to Microsoft, and now mobiles. Gaming is never going to go away, but it is going to evolve. I used to laugh at my friends when they said Arcades would last forever and home consoles would never replace them. I now laugh at gamers to who say iOS and Android aren't "real" gaming platforms and consoles will be around forever.

The world continually changes. Adapt or fall behind.

Well one thing has stayed consistent for 30 years. PC GAMING!!!!

EGM1966

Then you hit 40 and realise your Dad was right!

We'll at least if he told you Roald Dahl books were better than Twilight books anyway.

The Xbox One is tracking at the same pace or below the Wii U worldwide. Xbox One doesn't have the luxury of relying on multi-platform titles because that is one of the reasons people are purchasing PS4s instead. Microsoft needs to bank on it's first party. In that aspect, Microsoft isn't too much better off than Nintendo. But I do believe it's only a matter of time before it overtakes the Wii U. But how long it would take is still up in the air.

That's not true at all. The Xbox one will probably out sell the wiiu by the end of this year. microsoft can not compete with sony at the same price point, PlayStation is just a bigger name, the ps4 is also 50% more powerful and looks much better design wise, they need to be priced at least 25% cheaper then ps4 to really compete, just like the 360 was.

Sorry not being clear: wouldn't White Destiny hardware bundle take away from PS4 npd sales in August and to what extent.

Ok, yeah, in total, it will sell a lot more than that, pulled that number from thin air.

I had no idea that there were that many potential collectors out there in regard to consoles. I'm trying to reference collectors as folks specificially for the added extras or waiting for special releases like this.

I think it'll sell much more than 15-20K in September alone.

According to anecdotal Best Buy information (cf. Abdiel) we've seen 500 preorders for the Destiny / White PS4 bundle in one district alone, which Abdiel describes as "crazy."

Compare the 500 preorders in comparison to 200 preorders of the Xbox One Kinectless SKU, and like 2000 PS4 or 2000 Xbox One preorders back when it launched.

We also heard:

"I stopped into my local Gamestop to check on the used PS3/PS4 games, and I chatted with the guy at the register for a bit. Next Monday night, their store is anticipating over 1500 people for the Destiny midnight release. 2/3 of those are the White PS4 bundles. They are handling the midnight release for their store, and the local mall location as well, but even so. That number is insane."

Cole Slaw

Banned

November 11th - Halo MCC

Sony's looks like

November 18th - FarCry 4
November 18th - GTAV
November 18th - LBP3

Sony better forget about marketing third party games like they're first party, and see if they can remember how to market games like they're Final Fantasy VII again, because I'm not sure if even GTAV can carry LBP3 and FarCry 4 against that Avengers team Microsoft's got all lined up.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sony better forget about marketing third party games like they're first party, and see if they can remember how to market games like they're Final Fantasy VII again, because I'm not sure if even GTAV can carry LBP3 and FarCry 4 against that Avengers team Microsoft's got all lined up.

Sunset Overdrive is Hawkeye...

jayu26

Do you really think they care if they lose one month?

Cole Slaw

Banned
Sunset Overdrive is Hawkeye...

Sunset Overdrive is honestly the only game I'd buy an Xbox One for, if I ever want to buy a system only for its exclusives again, which I might be swayed to if an Xbox One ever costs only two-thirds the price of a PS4, standard retail price, no bundles or discounts or other shenanigans.

Sony must be asking Ted Price why he couldn't make something like Sunset Overdrive when he was on the PlayStation team, the same way Mark Cuban was wondering why Steve Nash couldn't play beast mode on the Dallas Mavs. If there's one thing I can point to that Microsoft has definitely done to make things more competitive, it's giving devs a precedent to negotiate for the ownership of the IPs that they pitch. I'd like to see Sony not be stubborn and get burned by that again, and lose yet another potential Sunset Overdrive.

Top Bottom