• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

A_Gorilla

Banned
They were willing to eat billions in losses for the 360, and I don't think they EVER saw profit on the original Xbox. I fully expect the Xbox One to get the same treatment. It's their biggest non-PC related product by a mile, and they desperately want to expand their reach beyond that space via the living room.

MS (and by MS I mean Ballmer, who's no longer around) was willing to sink money into the first two Xbox consoles because they saw it as necessary in order to secure the market (at least in the US, which is quite obviously the only market they truly care about). The 360 secured the market, and the XB1 was to be the grand unveiling of what the Xbox brand was supposed to be all along: A do-anything set box that was the centerpiece of everyone's living room.

Amazing how they went from Hero to Zero in the span of a few months/

Again, it wouldn't just be any month... It would be November, the month of all months, the one month that you definitely don't want to ever lose despite your lead in total cumulative sales or whatever other moral championship you'd like to hang your hat on.

Does Sony want the next co-marketing deal for the next big mega franchise to be cheaper or more expensive than it has to be? Obviously, they'd want to be able to throw a little bit of clout around, in the form of sales numbers, and maybe get a concession here or there for it. But if developers continue to think that North America is their most valuable market, and the Xbox One's sales are still nipping at PS4's heels enough to not allow as huge a gap as there was between the Xbox 360 and PS3, then Sony may yet have to bargain a little more harder at the end of November than they would've at the end of September.

XBO ain't winning November, i am so confident on PS4 winning that i am willing to avatar bet you, if XBO wins November i'll change my avatar to whatever you want, and viceversa... you in or out?.

All this talk about November is hilarious when PS4 is almost certain to carry the month with a sales advantage of multiple hundreds of thousands of systems. An overpriced CoD bundle and an HD remake collection is not going to move the needle in the face of PS4's dominant mindshare.

Again, it wouldn't just be any month... It would be November, the month of all months, the one month that you definitely don't want to ever lose despite your lead in total cumulative sales or whatever other moral championship you'd like to hang your hat on.

Does Sony want the next co-marketing deal for the next big mega franchise to be cheaper or more expensive than it has to be? Obviously, they'd want to be able to throw a little bit of clout around, in the form of sales numbers, and maybe get a concession here or there for it. But if developers continue to think that North America is their most valuable market, and the Xbox One's sales are still nipping at PS4's heels enough to not allow as huge a gap as there was between the Xbox 360 and PS3, then Sony may yet have to bargain a little more harder at the end of November than they would've at the end of September.

This is rich... so MS will close the (by then possibly million) gap between the two in one month alone?, WOWZERS!!!

I know a couple of people care about accessories, but the figures aren't listed in the OP.

Here's the image:

Vvv6DSP.png

a -2% YOY drop the month before Disney Infinity 2.0 releases.

By the way, if anyone is curious about Skylanders, it's suffering from declines from last year's version, with a -41% YOY drop from August 2013, and a -17% cumulative LTD drop from the previous iteration.

Game4life

Banned
Sunset Overdrive is honestly the only game I'd buy an Xbox One for, if I ever want to buy a system only for its exclusives again, which I might be swayed to if an Xbox One ever costs only two-thirds the price of a PS4, standard retail price, no bundles or discounts or other shenanigans.

Sony must be asking Ted Price why he couldn't make something like Sunset Overdrive when he was on the PlayStation team, the same way Mark Cuban was wondering why Steve Nash couldn't play beast mode on the Dallas Mavs. If there's one thing I can point to that Microsoft has definitely done to make things more competitive, it's giving devs a precedent to negotiate for the ownership of the IPs that they pitch. I'd like to see Sony not be stubborn and get burned by that again, and lose yet another potential Sunset Overdrive.

Have you played it? If not I would wait because from what I played it was absolutely terrible.

Exactly what I said when they first come out with the statement.

That was my first thought as well

I seriously doubt XB1 sold around 260k in August. It must mean for the week of release or something

Otherwise PS4 jumped up considerably too to take the #1 spot

Cole Slaw

Banned
XBO ain't winning November, i am so confident on PS4 winning that i am willing to avatar bet you, if XBO wins November i'll change my avatar to whatever you want, and viceversa... you in or out?.

I appreciate the offer, but I want the PS4 to win every month there ever is so I don't know how to feel about betting against it. Maybe another day, another topic? Avatar bets sound fun.

Have you played it? If not I would wait because from what I played it was absolutely terrible.

No, I haven't played it, so I definitely would wait, but I mean, that game sure does look fun.

A_Gorilla

Banned
a -2% YOY drop the month before Disney Infinity 2.0 releases.

By the way, if anyone is curious about Skylanders, it's suffering from declines from last year's version, with a -41% YOY drop from August 2013, and a -17% cumulative LTD drop from the previous iteration.

Hmm I wonder if that's troubling Activision

--------

Also Aqua you were quoted by Kyle Bosman in the newest GT Time today

A little after the 33 minute mark in reference to your posting of historic Japanese console launch sales

I appreciate the offer, but I want the PS4 to win every month there ever is so I don't know how to feel about betting against it. Maybe another day, another topic? Avatar bets sound fun.

No, I haven't played it, so I definitely would wait, but I mean, that game sure does look fun.

Oh come on man.

I can see you are trolling with your posts, but you are confusing a lot of people it seems. Please stop.

Game4life

Banned

I thought so as well. I was so hyped for the game. Thought the game will sell me on an xbone. Played it at the expo and was horrified at how bad the controls were. The game was way too slow, controls too unintuitive for the type of game that it was trying to be.

suaveric

I wondered if this would start slowing down, especially with Disney now in the market as well. I wonder how well Amiibo will do, I have a feeling this whole toys to life thing is just a fad waiting to pop.

Were it May? No. Were it June? No, I think they'd be content touting lead cumulative total sales like they had to after December.

Do they care about November? Yes, I think that they do. In fact, they'd better. Microsoft is not to be toyed with, except for maybe in Japan. Microsoft on its home turf, however, is definitely not to be toyed with, ever, no matter how beaten and battered they may be, not after all the legitimacy the Xbox brand gained with Xbox 360. Mindshare is everything, and any news headline recognizing Xbox One's sales leads at the expense of PS4's is cause for a crisis of confidence in all the goodwill Sony has been able to so painstakingly build up after the disastrous PS3.

This is as close to a prayer as I've seen posted in 14 years.

Is there the potential for Sony to run out of stock? They've been doing so strongly that maybe they haven't been able to build up stock for the high demand in Q4?

The manufacturing process becomes cheaper and more efficient as time goes on, so, there's absolutely no way they can run out of stock unless something happens to their supply chain.

Congratulations to both Sony and Micro$oft, when gaming companies have good sells, it's good for the industry as a whole no matter what console you prefer.

ascii42

This thread is 26 pages at 100ppp.

Seriously? Help a brother out.

Will this help?
Good idea.

Random tip: if you click on the reply count for a thread, it opens up a pop-up with post counts in that thread for each poster. If you click on the post count for a given poster, it displays all of their posts in that thread. So it's really not difficult to find all of the leaks if you know which users to search for.

Soriku

Tales of Xillia2 should have been xgen. That would have put it our there as the biggest jrpg on the console..

ToX2 came out in Japan in 2012. It wasn't gonna be cross gen.

Xillia 2 should have been Xillia 1+2, Xillia 1 should have never released as it did, Zestiria should have never been considered for PS3, at best it should have been a PS4 title with a sloppy PS3 down-port.

The Tales fanbase is still on PS3 in Japan, so what's the point?

They were willing to pump cash into the Xbox and X360 because Steve Ballmer was following a business vision created by Bill Gates in the 90s of a MS powered living room, with the TV as a common access point to computing.

That vision is no longer relevant.

People now are increasingly doing what they traditionally did on a beige box windows PC on their phones or on tablets, and - crucially - they're not doing it on Windows Phones and Surface Tablets.

Pumping billions into winning the TV with Xbox is like pumping billions into cornering print media; I mean, sure, you could choose to do it, but there's no fucking point.

Indeed. Frankly that vision stopped being relevant a long time ago thanks to smartphones and tablets; it's taken MS far to long to figure that out.

But at the same time, I still feel that MS is going to throw plenty of money at the Xone in order to keep it afloat. They already have, what with the costs of the NFL deal and building up and shuttering XES. Plus they're still cutting semi-exclusivity deals like the Tomb Raider 2 one, they've been FAR more aggressive with bundles and free game promotions than Sony or Nintendo, and there's the rumored multi-billion dollar Mojang aquisition. Granted, that would like extend to all of their hardware as well as PC and Android/iOS as well, but still...

It might be too little too late at this point, but they'll still go down swinging.

Soriku

sörine;129601478 said:
Huge drop for TOX2, even worse than Graces f (63k). Guess Xillia was a fluke.

The 63k number for Graces F was an LTD, not first month. Xillia 2 only had 12 days anyway. Xillia 1 had 25.

Obviously Namco are aware of next gen consoles. Why would they kill Tales in the West if Zestiria doesn't do that well on just PS3?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
MS (and by MS I mean Ballmer, who's no longer around) was willing to sink money into the first two Xbox consoles because they saw it as necessary in order to secure the market (at least in the US, which is quite obviously the only market they truly care about). The 360 secured the market, and the XB1 was to be the grand unveiling of what the Xbox brand was supposed to be all along: A do-anything set box that was the centerpiece of everyone's living room.

Amazing how they went from Hero to Zero in the span of a few months/

If 30 thousand units a month behind the leading competition is hero to zero. I just don't want to imagine how much of a bad state console gaming is actually in

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
People bought Killzone to play on their PS4s (mainly because of delays for other stuff and pretty graphics), not the other way around. Killzone is too mediocre to ever be a system seller franchise.
They almost have the same metacritic rating at the moment. 74 vs 73.

One is considered a system seller and the other is not.

My conclusion: The arbitrary quality measurement of system selling is not at 74 vs 73 but rather quality does not come into it.

Opiate

They almost have the same metacritic rating at the moment. 74 vs 73.

One is considered a system seller and the other is not.

My conclusion: The arbitrary quality measurement of system selling is not at 74 vs 73 but rather quality does not come into it.

Or metacritic is not particularly good at measuring quality. I wouldn't say it's worthless, just not very good.

If 30 thousand units a month behind the leading competition is hero to zero. I just don't want to imagine how much of a bad state console gaming is actually in
30,000 units after the Madden bundle, discarding kinect, free games, etc. And this is before what might be a big ass-whooping coming in September.

jcm

So you're telling me $599 didn't result in everyone making up their mind that they were just going to get a X360 instead?

Microsoft wanting to siphon off used game sales to certain retail partners didn't result in gamers making up their mind that hey, good thing the next PlayStation is only $399 this time?

If Xbox One wins November, how is Sony going to continue to feed off of all the positive momentum it needs to dominate like it started to with PSOne? Everybody is expecting September NPDs to put Sony on the highest of highs, but November could possibly just as easily send them into the lowest of lows, and that could result in a continued battle for mindshare they'd once thought they'd already settled.

The lowest of lows? You think they're going to sell 5K or so? Because I have a hard time sing how a 500-450 finish (or something like that) would be the "lowest of lows".

Top Bottom