• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, frosty got me. I immediately looked up GTA V's storepage to calculate how much 75% would be. The price ain't revealed, so maybe R*'s gonna make it 50 for not having DLC? I know, I am dreaming :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Crazy how much PhysX nags on performance. Besides nice looking, are there any cases where PhysX adds more gameplay variety?
I thought for SLI you need two of the same GPU though?!

You do. Two 970s + 670 for PhysX is the end goal, however I took a look on eBay before and used, out-of-warranty 670s are still selling for ~$200, so if I upgrade in the near future what I may do instead is sell the cards to make back half or so of the upgrade cost and then pinch back the GTX 570 I gave to a mate when he eventually upgrades (he's been putting it off for yonks now).

Parsnip

Oh yes. Now on one hand it may be easier to buy and install the DLC as its all handled through Origin and the client now it's still a convoluted pain in the arse unless you plan ahead. Say you want Lair of the Shadow Broker which is 560 BW Points well you buy the points you want through Origin. Trouble is they don't sell them in arbitrary amounts so you have to buy either 400, 800, 1200 or 1600 points so at least leaving you with 260 points left over. Now all the other DLCs for ME 2 are also weird values like 320 for Arival and 560 for the bigger pack like Kasumi's Stolen Memory and Overloard and I think the weapon and skins packs are a smaller non divisible amount too. Dragon Age II is the same. Mass Effect 3 has DLCs priced at 800 and 1200 points respectively so you don't have a negative or positive ballance but it would be far, far similar if they were converted to a monetary amount instead of fucking Disney Dollars!

Space bucks are the best bucks.

I only make purchases in Allards.
Preach.
That's the only way to join the tribe.

You do. Two 970s + 670 for PhysX is the end goal, however I took a look on eBay before and used, out-of-warranty 670s are still selling for ~$200, so if I upgrade in the near future what I may do instead is sell the cards to make back half or so of the upgrade cost and then pinch back the GTX 570 I gave to a mate when he eventually upgrades (he's been putting it off for yonks now).
Damn, dude. Two 970s and dedicated PhysX 670? Pretty high-end machine you're planning there. How does PhysX entice you? Was it sth. in the effects leak for Unity? I only ever saw trailers for Batman, Borderlands and Mafia 2. And tbh, neither the cost nor the performance dip seem worth it. It's only a bit visual fluff in the end. But more power to you :)
---
There's a new Bundle Stars bundle with Stalker Clear Sky and Lovely Planet in it. There's a bunch of other games as well, but I don't know if any of them are any good. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fps-redux-bundle/
Oh, wow. Stalker + Lovely Planet? Way over budget I am, but at that deal I am gonna do it anyway :3 Great find king!
Also, so nice gesture of Bundlstars to not make € <-> $ conversion 1:1. It's 3,99$ / 3,59€
Still makes 4,61$ but hey, the thought counts -_-

Oh yes. Now on one hand it may be easier to buy and install the DLC as its all handled through Origin and the client now it's still a convoluted pain in the arse unless you plan ahead. Say you want Lair of the Shadow Broker which is 560 BW Points well you buy the points you want through Origin. Trouble is they don't sell them in arbitrary amounts so you have to buy either 400, 800, 1200 or 1600 points so at least leaving you with 260 points left over. Now all the other DLCs for ME 2 are also weird values like 320 for Arival and 560 for the bigger pack like Kasumi's Stolen Memory and Overloard and I think the weapon and skins packs are a smaller non divisible amount too. Dragon Age II is the same. Mass Effect 3 has DLCs priced at 800 and 1200 points respectively so you don't have a negative or positive ballance but it would be far, far similar if they were converted to a monetary amount instead of fucking Disney Dollars!

Mm-hmm. This is the reason why I haven't bothered to buy the rest of the DLC. There's no logical reason why DLC that's four years old or more should still be at full price all the time now, especially when you can count the number of times it's been on sale on one hand.

What really gets me is the people who defend it. When I was a member of the Bioware Social Network, people would try to justify it by claiming "the devs need the money!", "it's high-quality!" and my favorite, "there doesn't need to be a sale (or a GOTY edition) because the DLC's are selling fine!" Those pretty much stopped being true after the ME3 debacle.

It's even funnier now because, while they've scrapped BW points going forward, they're apparently going to remain for ME and DA. What a fucking stupid system.

By the way, I'm 15 games short of hitting the big 1k. Feeling pretty good about that.

Benedict

Hey... I have some extra coupons, if anyone wants them. Go figure, I have all the games already...
LLShC.gif

I'd just toss 'em to trashbot or donate to coupon dumpster, but y'know, GAF first and all. ;)

I want Original Sin!

please

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Damn, dude. Two 970s and dedicated PhysX 670? Pretty high-end machine you're planning there. How does PhysX entice you? Was it sth. in the effects leak for Unity? I only ever saw trailers for Batman, Borderlands and Mafia 2. And tbh, neither the cost nor the performance dip seem worth it. It's only a bit visual fluff in the end. But more power to you :)

I like max settings, and I can deal with a jumpy framerate because the PS3 was my preferred multiplatform system for 2~3 years. ;)

Read the FAQ: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214#addldocsemail

And if you're not US and never bought something using an US address* you'll get unlocked immediately. *If you did you'll have to send them proof you're a foreigner but the only thing that'll happen is that someone will confirm the documents are legit, there's been zero evidence that Valve will contact any foreign tax agencies.

Alright, thanks a lot. I filled out the information on the steam.

Happy Monday

ModBot said:
Instructions for FiveElementNinja:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky -- MB-DA0E95CAB6A911AF - Taken by Patison
The Journey Down: Chapter One -- MB-A5EEB6C835EF1C2E - Taken by rainking187
Echo of the Wilds -- MB-FB811FE32C1E1C4B - Taken by freshVeggie

^^
Awesome, thought I was too late as I wrote reply. Thanks ninja!

Yeah, they add UK VAT (20%) to prices in EU.
So, me as a German have to pay 1% more because of UK VAT :p
Well, I think it's 19% here anyway.
Hardware I can kinda understand, logistics, production cost but how can one justify skewed prices for digital goods? Feels pretty shitty to get the shaft here in EU all the time.

... let's forget about AU for a bit. Sorry saunderez and JaseC :p

Anteater

yeah they seem to like adding as many dumb shit into Lords of shadow games for whatever reason, I'm having fun with 2 but like they can't just not make the game worse by adding dumb shit like stealth or whatever.

Benedict

Some leftovers, from epic to less epic

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chrome -- MB-A262CE292E429042 - Taken by Patison
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky -- MB-8F3170FADDA6C4B6 - Taken by Divius. 19 entrants total.
Chrome SpecForce -- MB-5BE2662F91DCC891 - Taken by SeZMehK
3089 -- MB-428FF8061CDED736 - Taken by topyy. 4 entrants total.

t1411415021z1.png

madjoki

^^
So, me as a German have to pay 1% more because of UK VAT :p
Well, I think it's 19% here anyway.
Hardware I can kinda understand, logistics, production cost but how can one justify skewed prices for digital goods? Feels pretty shitty to get the shaft here in EU all the time.

... let's forget about AU for a bit. Sorry saunderez and JaseC :p

That changes next year, after that VAT on digital goods is paid according to buyers country even if seller is within EU.
Currently only foreign sellers like Humble Bundle pay according to buyers country. But it isn't visible as Humble Bundle doesn't add VAT, but pays it from price you set.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

AssCreed Season Pass trailer :p because of course they made one (before the game is even out)

Is chrome any good?
I played it many years ago. B-tier fps. Forgettable story. But I remember visuals being good for its time. If you need your old-skool fps fix I'd recommend Chaser. Yes, it's not cheap in a bundle but keep it in mind for future sales/bundles. Was very enjoyable, globe/world trotting fps. Really liked it back in the day.
---
That changes next year, after that VAT on digital goods is paid according to buyers country even if seller is within EU.
Currently only foreign sellers like Humble Bundle pay according to buyers country. But it isn't visible as Humble Bundle doesn't add VAT, but pays it from price you set.
Is that for UK only or EU wide? How much VAT does US citizens pay?

Ezalc

That wave race thread, is getting me in the mood to play some random racing games. Or to just re-install sega all stars and get hooked again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom