• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Being able to change the games' cover arts on Steam is an underrated feature of the platform

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
One of the many neat unknown things on Steam is the ability to customize the game cover arts to whatever you want, which is essentially the digital version of physical game collectors creating and printing their own box arts for physical game boxes, so their collections look nicer or neater.

But what make things even better here is that there is a vast Steam community (on Steamgriddb) who create and upload their creations for everyone else to download and use for their Steam games. You can also easily create your own in photoshop. And also you can use animated box arts.

Take for instance, here are some of the cover arts for Tomb Raider which the community has made
image.png

I often create game folders on Steam to organize them. And here's an example of what I see when I put my Playstation PC games in a Steam folder.

PS-PC.png

And some folks have created custom artworks for those games. As a result, I can download their cover arts and use them for my Playstation PC games, resulting in such uniformed minimalistic look (they are based on the Only on Playstation Collection covers that Sony made)

PSPC.png

Here's another examples for the Metal Gear games with wildly inconsistent look, because some were from Master Collection, while MGSV and Phantom Pain are modern releases.

Metal-Gear.png

All of them looks fine on their own, but I give them an uniform look too, which just look pleasing and tidy

Metal-Gear2.png

Another examples:
Screenshot-2024-03-25-205749.png
Screenshot-2024-03-25-211724.png

If you find your Steam game cover look messy and want another better cover art, well now you know you can go change to one that you like.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Yup, I've probably changed the cover art of half my Steam library at this point.

What I really want, though, is...

Too bad you can't change the names of games in the title list. This shit pisses me the fuck off like you can't understand:
JK63shq.png

YEEEESS. This drives me insane. I've been wanting to rename certain games in my library for a decade now, I don't understand why Valve hasn't made it a feature yet (seeing as you can rename non-Steam games in the launcher no problem).

Top Bottom