• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 off to a slow start in Japan [Update: Week 2 sales]

Update:

Week 2 sales added in.

Format is ThisWeek / LTD (percent change from last week).

Media Create:
12./03. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 6,970 / 45,797 (-82%)

Famitsu:
11./03. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 9,284 / 42,398 (-72%)

---

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/bayonetta-2-selling-poorly-in-japan-during-its-first-week

Bayonetta 2 released Sept. 20 in Japan, and is showing low sales so far.

38,828 copies of Bayonetta 2 were sold since release, according to 4gamer. By comparison, the first Bayonetta sold 135,242 copies on PS3 and 64,325 on Xbox 360 in 2009 during its first week. That's an 81 percent decrease in first-week sales between the first entry and its sequel, which is a Wii U exclusive. However, the game was released Saturday, September 20th, and hasn't actually spent a full week in stores.

Cut my hair and lock if old.

Erevador

WiiU-Exclusives-Trailer-screenshot.jpg

expected that , but lets wait for the first week to be over, it'll make it to 1 million by then ;)

still hyped for my copy next month :D 1 and 2 for the first time, boom

Here is the comparison using Famitsu data (the better tracker):

First week sales (Famitsu data):

Bayonetta (PS3) - 138,430 copies

Bayonetta (360) - 66,211 copies

Bayonetta 1 + 2 (Wii U) - 33,114 copies

It's striking that Bayonetta 2 is underperforming the 360 version of the original Bayonetta, considering how poorly the 360 has performed in Japan.

God IGN is so stupid, and desperate. I wonder if the install base has any fucking thing to do with why the sales are less than on either the PS3 or 360.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very sorry PG, but since I decided to build a PC I'll end up renting this one. :(

SoulUnison

Banned
It hurts, but we weren't going to get Bayonetta 2 any other way.

Even if low sales mean the series doesn't move forward, we already got one more incredible game out of the series than we would have otherwise.

Legend of Korra will be the most successful platinum games title ever at this rate.

If it leads to them doing a full-fledged $60 Korra title, I can only hope.

It's a bomba but could've been worse. Still doesn't look like the game will have any chance of breaking even or even close to even if other regions sales follow Japan

It was always expected though

God IGN is so stupid, and desperate. I wonder if the install base has any fucking thing to do with why the sales are less than on either the PS3 or 360.

Uh

Bayonetta 1

Code:
|  360  |      6,047  |      4,470  |    325,370  |   [B]1,154,807[/B]  |

07./00. [360] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 64,325 / NEW

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378922

Bayonetta 2

Code:
|  WIU  |      6.689 |      5.473 |      5.147 |    392.778 |    427.403 |   [B]1.911.205[/B] |

03./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 38.828 / NEW

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900668

At least it's outperforming The Wonderful 101.

First week sales:

The Wonderful 101 - 6,663 copies

Bayonetta 1 + 2 - 33,114 copies

Kysen

Poor excuse, the real reason is because its on the WiiU. Nintendo fans only buy the staple titles. Anything else is ignored.

impact

Banned
Damn, and we thought the Pikmin 3 numbers were bad.

Typically how well do Platinum games do in Japan? I know MGR was a great success but obviously due to the IP. Oh well I'll be doing my job and getting it when it comes out here just to support for a non-Nintendo developed Wii U exclusive.

SykoTech

Kinda old since there was a Media Create thread.

But yeah, a Wii U exclusive sequel to a niche game bombed. Shocking. Though I admit, the 360 version of the original selling twice as much is pretty crazy.

More than the Xbone.

Talk about setting the bar high.

nbthedude

Then bigger question is, why the fuck does the Wii U, the successor to one of the most popular videogame consoles every made, have an install base in Japan that is lower than the Xbox 360, one of the worst selling videogame consoles in Japan.

I honestly expected something like 20k.
Then bigger question is, why the fuck does the Wii U, the successor to one of the most popular videogame consoles every made, have an install base in Japan that is lower than the Xbox 360, one of the worst selling videogame consoles in Japan.
Wii U wasn't made for consumers or game developers. It was made for Nintendo and their close knit development circle in Japan. Sometimes the higher ups are in sync with the international markets (Wii), but most of the time they aren't... on the home console front anyway. Let's not even mention on the industry itself. Nintendo frankly isn't interested in cooperating with the home console industry outside of Japan.

It beat out Windwaker HD in first week sales atleast. I dont think anyone expected it to blow up in sales but the real test will be whether or not it has longer legs than the original Bayo.

idlewild_

The install base of the 360 was way lower than the Wii U currently is at when Bayonetta was released.

360 1,154,807 vs Wii U 1.930.287

A better argument would be that the audience just isn't there on the Wii U.

Timeaisis

I'll do my part.

And let's be honest, Nintendo wasn't ever expecting a huge seller. Bayo 2 exists to fill out the Wii U library.

A shame it's doing bad, but I doubt they ever expected it to do that great. The good news is that this was funded by Nintendo, so Platinum isn't going to be going anywhere.

....It doesn't.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
A game being sold on a console in a region that prefers handheld devices doesn't make this all that surprising.

Top Bottom