• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 4's first week sales in Japan were more than those of the previous three games combined.

Draugoth

Gold Member
pikmin-4-japan-1280x720.jpg

Pikmin 4‘s first week sales in Japan were more than those of the first three Pikmin games combined.

Famitsu has published the physical game sales chart for the week ending July 23, and Pikmin 4 is at number one with 401,853 copies sold.

By comparison, based on archived Famitsu chart information, the first Pikmin sold 101,299 in its first week, Pikmin 2 sold 161,930 and Pikmin 3 sold 92,720.

It should also be noted that these charts only count physical sales and Nintendo hasn’t shared information on how many digital copies of Pikmin 4 have been sold, meaning the actual first week total is likely significantly higher than 401,853. Before the release of Pikmin 4, the best launch for a game in the series was the Switch re-release of Pikmin 3 (titled Pikmin 3 Deluxe), which sold 171,349 physical copies in its first week.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have only played part 3. What makes part 4 different? From the trailers, it looked relatively the same.

tr1p1ex

Didn't work out that way for Bayonetta 3. It's still a noteworthy improvement for Pikmin that I wouldn't have predicted.

And this doesn't include digital sales, and Pikmin is part of the voucher sale also.

Not sure what you're saying.

all i said or implied was pikmin 4 released into a massive install base while the others were released on Nintendo's worst selling consoles that had a combined install base of around 33 million or about 100mn lower than Switch.

It should sell a lot better. Not surprising.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have only played part 3. What makes part 4 different? From the trailers, it looked relatively the same.
There are some changes to how you play and explore. You still have a daily time limit, but this time around in story mode you aren't pressed with finding food to survive while also fighting the time limit. There are more NPC characters that drive more side quests as you save them. And rhe pup companion changes how you delegate tasks and manage work for your team. The core is still Pikmin but the changes make it a fresh experience.

Ulysses 31

There are some changes to how you play and explore. You still have a daily time limit, but this time around in story mode you aren't pressed with finding food to survive while also fighting the time limit. There are more NPC characters that drive more side quests as you save them. And rhe pup companion changes how you delegate tasks and manage work for your team. The core is still Pikmin but the changes make it a fresh experience.
And don't forget the night missions... 👀

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I finished off like 99.9% of it last night. Good game but it's still not better than the first. Game has some bloat and the cave system from Pikmin 2 coming back really dampens the game.

It’s honestly really impressive how Pikmin has now become so popular. It’s like Luigi’s Mansion. It’s mid and not super popular in its first iteration, but three consoles and 20+ years later it’s now this series that has started to explode.

400k in launch week physical sales for any game in Japan is super impressive. Especially not being AAA like Zelda, Mario or Pokemon.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Nintento is having an incredible year with big titles still on the horizon for this year and next.

I've watched some Pikmin 4 gameplay and it looks incredible. Well deserved.

I suppose we can assume it has already broken 1 million in sales worldwide?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nintento is having an incredible year with big titles still on the horizon for this year and next.

I've watched some Pikmin 4 gameplay and it looks incredible. Well deserved.

I suppose we can assume it has already broken 1 million in sales worldwide?
It probably sold 1 million just in Japan including digital. WW I dont expect huge numbers but still a record for the series.

leo-j

Nintendo is being smart re releasing its biggest games on its biggest console success in its history. They are at a peak popularity comparable to DS/Wii peaks, they should continue to milk this and keep remastering and releasing games that weren’t “successful” during the other eras.

Pikmin mainline series Global lifetime

Pikmin - 1.60 million
Pikmin 2 - 1.12 million
Pikmin 3 - 1.27 million
Pikmin 3 DX - 2.23 million (to be updated in Cesa white book soon)
Total: 6.22 million

Pikmin 4 - 5 million possible?

Last edited:

Impotaku

It’s honestly really impressive how Pikmin has now become so popular. It’s like Luigi’s Mansion. It’s mid and not super popular in its first iteration, but three consoles and 20+ years later it’s now this series that has started to explode.

400k in launch week physical sales for any game in Japan is super impressive. Especially not being AAA like Zelda, Mario or Pokemon.
Yup it was never one of nintendo's main flagship series as much as they kind of wished it was more of a niche series that went along in the background. The 4th game pretty much been the best one yet put 34 hours in & it barely feels like i have been playing it's just packed with stuff to do. It's nice that it's getting a lot more attention now thanks to the high install base of the switch, it's one of the powers of the switch even niche games can do really well you only need a tiny amount of the audience to buy your game & you are selling great.

Impotaku

3QmoITw.jpg

Taken from my phone camera. 🙈
I'm guessing you haven't gotten that gold bar treasure yet LOL needing 1000 pikmin to lift it means farming those fatty purples i'm still trying to find the purple bulb i know where it is but the quest to get to that dungeon takes a lot of work.

Top Bottom