• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Skyzard

Banned
From ign shadow of modor review

On the PC side Mordor also compares to the Batman games, in that it’s of good quality. There are even some enhanced graphics settings, including an ultra-high texture setting that requires a full 6GB of video memory. My only issue with it is some awkward menu controls, but most of those are customizable and those that aren’t aren’t too inconvenient to get used to.

980 only has 4gb :/

Evil Within
We do not have a list of minimum requirements for the game. If you’re trying to play with a rig with settings below these requirements (you should plan to have 4 GBs of VRAM regardless), we cannot guarantee optimal performance.

Seems like our fears are confirmed about vram requirements with next-gen games.

Nvidia would have known, surely...gotta keep selling those titans for now I guess?

DarkFlow

Banned
But that's nearly 2000 points more :(. My 780 does 9151, oc yours and you can easily go over 9k too.

I wonder if the CPU still plays a big part in influencing scores in 3dmark. Those 4770k physics scores are way past what my 3570k can do.

Well here's what I did with a OC tonight.
+100 clock only.
zbFMWxc.png

+100 clock, +200 Mem
fVuU2mL.png

Can't really make the clock go any faster, it just crashes and makes me restart the computer. I could likely get the memory fast, but meh.
Seems like our fears are confirmed about vram requirements with next-gen games.

Nvidia would have known, surely...gotta keep selling those titans for now I guess?
That doesn't mean shit, you don't NEED to fun ultraWTF mode in computer games.

Smokey

I was legit going to go for the 970s but then I found out they weren't offering the Titan style cooler on the 970 so I backed off. I'll probably wait until Titan II. 980's may be slightly faster, but I have 6GB of VRAM. I have a 4k monitor, surround setups, etc so that extra bit of memory would probably help me out.

On the PC side Mordor also compares to the Batman games, in that it’s of good quality. There are even some enhanced graphics settings, including an ultra-high texture setting that requires a full 6GB of video memory.

Su2wCaF.gif

RCSI

On the PC side Mordor also compares to the Batman games, in that it’s of good quality. There are even some enhanced graphics settings, including an ultra-high texture setting that requires a full 6GB of video memory. My only issue with it is some awkward menu controls, but most of those are customizable and those that aren’t aren’t too inconvenient to get used to.

980 only has 4gb :/

No fov slider=no purchase

I kid! Glad this one is getting attention on the PC. I normally never purchase a new game on release, namely because I'll never get to it due to time constraints, but it is tempting.

DarkFlow

Banned
ExrFYUj.png

This is likely as stable as Jell-O but it's fun to see what I can push with my "old" card.

All this talk is scary... 4GB is already getting to be an issue even at 1080p?

Trust me, just ignore all the crazy people who talk about VRAM. You'll be saner for it. 4GB is overkill for 1080P.

GHG

Gold Member
Maxwell compression tech might still yield us ultra textures...

Believe.

Sorry PC GAF I'll let you be the guinea pigs this time.

Cancelled my 670 sli order from amazon, will see what comes of all of this over the next couple of months before making a decision. Especially when there's no resell market for GPUs here in Dubai.

When GTA PC hits there will be a lot of angry and frustrated people.

ss_lemonade

ExrFYUj.png

This is likely as stable as Jell-O but it's fun to see what I can push with my "old" card.

Trust me, just ignore all the crazy people who talk about VRAM. You'll be saner for it. 4GB is overkill for 1080P.
What's your boost clocks? I tried overclocking the other night but couldn't hit 1200 core. I think I max out at around 1150-1160 boosted core

Just did a Hot Pursuit race in Criterion's NFS Hot Pursuit using DSR at 4K. I think it dropped to 59 fps once or twice. IQ was fantastic, which is no small achievement in Hot Pursuit.

Yep. Some games absolutely scream on this setup.

RE4 downscaled from 4K looks and runs great. No obvious microstutter in anything yet, which is a big relief.

IMACOMPUTA

HOLY SHIT BALLS, Amazon is amazing!

Just had a chat with customer service and was totally upfront with them.

Bought the 780Ti on November 7th of last year. Told them I wanted to upgrade to Maxwell as it's far more efficient. Mentioned Skyzard and his UK situation.

They looked at my account and told me that their return policy is only 30 days on electronics, but they will make an exception due to my history with them. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on Amazon and never returned anything.

They're even paying for return shipping and will credit me back the full $710 I paid for the card last year.

So considering a pair of 970s cost $660, I can upgrade to them and STILL get $50 in the process, all while getting to use the beastly 780Ti for the past year for free.

God damn, that is awesome!

Is there any chance in HELL that Newegg would honor this kind of return? I bought the 780TI earlier this year for $749.

Evo X

Is there any chance in HELL that Newegg would honor this kind of return? I bought the 780TI earlier this year for $749.

Nope, zero chance. Newegg has gone down the drain. I stopped buying from them years ago. These days you'll have issues with Newegg on legitimate claims, much less a free GPU upgrade almost a year after purchase.

I went into the conversation with Amazon expecting nothing. I have no idea why they are letting me do this honestly, but I'm not gonna complain!

knitoe

Nope, zero chance. Newegg has gone down the drain. I stopped buying from them years ago. These days you'll have issues with Newegg on legitimate claims, much less a free GPU upgrade almost a year after purchase.

I went into the conversation with Amazon expecting nothing. I have no idea why they are letting me do this honestly, but I'm not gonna complain!

Lucky you, but now, I expect 100s of people are going to try this through Amazon.

Reduced VRAM usage due to new compression tech. I could swear Metro Redux was hitting about 2gigs on my old card, now it is at a measly 1,3. Even Watch Dogs maxes out at 3,3 with 8xMSAA and Ultra textures. Would be great if somebody else could test this though.

Oh wow, that would be awesome!

Evo X

Lucky you, but now, I expect 100s of people are going to try this through Amazon.

Well, shit. Maybe I should have kept this to myself. lol

Gonna send my card in before the rush!

Hopefully, I can find some 980s at a local Microcenter or Frys tomorrow because they seem to be sold out everywhere online. I wouldn't mind waiting, but I've got no backup GPU with a Displayport that can drive the ROG Swift.

Ideally, I'd order the new GPUs through Amazon as one of my credit cards has a 5% cash back from them starting October. That's almost 60 bucks on a pair of 980s along with almost $100 on tax savings.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Maxwell compression tech might still yield us ultra textures...

What's this?

Reduced VRAM usage due to new compression tech. I could swear Metro Redux was hitting about 2gigs on my old card, now it is at a measly 1,3. Even Watch Dogs maxes out at 3,3 with 8xMSAA and Ultra textures. Would be great if somebody else could test this though.

Oh wow, that would be awesome!

http://international.download.nvidi...nal/pdfs/GeForce_GTX_980_Whitepaper_FINAL.PDF Tiled Resources and related techs from page 23 on. With that you can take a 1.6GB VRAM scene and render it using just 156MB VRAM. That's going to require a game being programmed in DX11.3 or DX12, but when they arrive we're going to see a massive leap in visual detail, with far fewer repeated textures.

http://international.download.nvidi...nal/pdfs/GeForce_GTX_980_Whitepaper_FINAL.PDF Tiled Resources and related techs from page 23 on. With that you can take a 1.6GB VRAM scene and render it using just 156MB VRAM. That's going to require a game being programmed in DX11.3 or DX12, but when they arrive we're going to see a massive leap in visual detail, with far fewer repeated textures.

Sounds awesome.

----

I'm sensing that you are going to be quoted a couples of times on some others threads soon enough.

Wookieomg

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Mman235

Thanks, I will do it.

Just talking to amazon customer service to see if it's okay to just take it to a store tomorrow.

--they are all cool with it! I even explained why I'm returning it.

Amazon man.

--BTW she mentioned that I actually have up to a year to return it. It's just I can only create the return label on my end within that month. If anyone is in a similar position it may be worth talking to them about it.

My 30 day return window is up, but you're saying if I ask Amazon I should still be able to return it (in the UK)? That would be nice as I have to lose a bunch off the price selling my 4GB 770 on Ebay whereas returning it would mean I essentially save money getting a 970...

Edit: Someone bought it anyway so it's too late for that.

Yudoken

After reading about the Shadow of mordor 6gb Vram requirement for their highest texture settings I decided to wait for the next batch of 9xx cards.
I'm not ready to spend a lot of money on a graphics card with a bottleneck of 4gb Vram.,

DarkFlow

Banned
After reading about the Shadow of mordor 6gb Vram requirement for their highest texture settings I decided to wait for the next batch of 9xx cards.
I'm not ready to spend a lot of money on a graphics card with a bottleneck of 4gb Vram.,

It's not a bottleneck...
This is what I feel like in these threads now days when people talk about VRAM.
Small-kitten-chasing-its-tail-do-not-know-the-cat-will-dizziness-it.gif

iceatcs

Thanks god I'm poor first place otherwise I would have bought it on day one. I can hold longer to see if bigger VRAM coming up.

funkypie

Banned
The return window is when YOU can create a label - as I was told today.

You can talk to them and return it within the year though (here anyway). Worth a shot.

if you did it every year it wouldn't exactly be cost effective as you still have to pay the difference.

also these expensive cards can easily last 4 - 5 years so I personally don't think it is worth it, unless you have to have the newest card every year.

Top Bottom