• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is the Steam release going to get its own OT?

Final Fantasy XIII | Lightning Strikes Again for the First Time

I hope so. We can do an OT + Let's Play and post screenshots since we'll be able to do that now.
Yep, I've already reserved and finalized the thread :)! Just waiting till 2nd October to release the OT!

HeelPower

I hope so. We can do an OT + Let's Play and post screenshots since we'll be able to do that now.

I didn't play this game with GAF back when it first released(thankfully I guess?)

But now I hope we can have a detailed OT where we can go in depth with the game..Including screenshots and stuff P:

Gonna be fun I think..I really like this game.

FFXIII Bible basically.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I didn't play this game with GAF back when it first released(thankfully I guess?)

But now I hope we can have a detailed OT where we can go in depth with the game..Including screenshots and stuff P:

Gonna be fun I think..I really like this game.

FFXIII Bible basically.
The OT goes through the basic storyline, the characters, the gameplay (mainly paradigms) and the old reviews it got from PS3/360.

Yoshichan

maybe tips for using the Paradigm shift

no, the thread to begin all L/RTTPs
Hmm, what do you mean? The current information that's in my OT will go through what each paradigm does. Everyone will figure out how to press L1 and up/down on the d-pad :3

Edit: maybe I'll add in paradigmshift cancelling

HeelPower

Hmm, what do you mean? The current information that's in my OT will go through what each paradigm does. Everyone will figure out how to press L1 and up/down on the d-pad :3

Edit: maybe I'll add in paradigmshift cancelling

There is paradigm/ATB refresh...every other turn you get a free turn if you switch paradigms..So duplicate paradigms can be useful that way.

Yoshichan

There is paradigm refresh...every other turn you get a free turn if you switch paradigms..So duplicate paradigms can be useful that way.
Sure! I might add tips/tricks to the thread. Any other tips besides that?

HeelPower

Excellent Yoshi. We shall relive the Goddess' journey again.

If you need or want any hi-res art of the OT let me know.

Guys make it unique and beautiful plz :$

Bring out all the art for this game!

Sure! I might add tips/tricks to the thread. Any other tips besides that?

Not that I know of..but ATB refresh is wildly useful to drive up stagger gauges as fast as possible and(do max damage while staggering enemies)

Yoshichan

I'll let you know, Dragmire666, thanks :3!

The first half of it actually has a less serious tone than the other half. I think the saga needs a bit of humor, especially here on GAF!

Cancelling? Refreshes?

Hmm, tell me more, I'm getting interested in this battle system.

Do we have one frame links and plinking as well? Where's my tier lists? =P

Yoshichan

Cancelling? Refreshes?

Hmm, tell me more, I'm getting interested in this battle system.

Do we have one frame links and plinking as well? Where's my tier lists? =P
No plinking in this one, sorry! There are ~6-10 frame links however! Here's what I've added to the OP just recently:

fWXt9nh.png

No plinking in this one, sorry! There are ~6-10 frame links however! Here's what I've added to the OP just recently:

Oh well, guess this is still not the Final Fantasy that I play on an arcade stick.

6f link sounds good though, and that ATB Refresh looks pretty cool.

I hope there are optional bosses where I need to use them. Or at least enemies with a lot of HP.

Zafir

I know for a fact I'm gonna cheatengine the drop rates, because all the FF games have BULLSHIT drop rates
Hah. I spent hours and hours grinding Traphezohedrons from Adamantortoises for the plat. Man that suuuuuucked. The drop rate was so ridiculously low. I'm never doing that again.

Yoshichan

Oh well, guess this is still not the Final Fantasy that I play on an arcade stick.

I hope there are optional bosses where I need to use them. Or at least enemies with a lot of HP.
Trust me, it's essential that you start perfecting the ATB-refresh routine in order to beat the toughest enemies :p The amount of health the later optional bosses have is near absurd.

Demoskinos

Pretty excited by this. Bought it and anxiously awaiting it to release which is weird considering that I have all of the games sitting on my shelf right behind me.

Trust me, it's essential that you start perfecting the ATB-refresh routine in order to beat the toughest enemies :p The amount of health the later optional bosses have is near absurd.

tough enemies? not even bosses? well, I'll be looking forward to getting my ass kicked by flans then haha.

This might be the first FF where I go after every optional boss in my first playthrough.

Yoshichan

tough enemies? not even bosses? well, I'll be looking forward to getting my ass kicked by flans then haha.

This might be the first FF where I go after every optional boss in my first playthrough.
Mind you it'll require a lot of grind so prepare to FAQ up or ask the thread!

Gvaz

Banned

One big guy in the grasslands 30 hours in, don't bother fighting him until you've just about maxed out everyone's crystal things unless you want it to take 30 minutes

Gbraga

Even the main story has some challenging bosses. ATB Refresh is definitely worth using as much as possible.

Especially before you start casting Haste. The ATB meter is really damn slow without Haste.

Mind you it'll require a lot of grind so prepare to FAQ up or ask the thread!
I don't mind grinding so much, gives me stuff to do while listening to podcasts.

I'll try to be at the thread when it launches, but considering that I may take a week or so before I start playing I might fall behind on everyone, but I'll be following the thread, for sure.

One big guy in the grasslands 30 hours in, don't bother fighting him until you've just about maxed out everyone's crystal things unless you want it to take 30 minutes
I don't mind 30 minutes battles (unless you're talking about the tough enemy and not boss).

Even the main story has some challenging bosses. ATB Refresh is definitely worth using as much as possible.

Especially before you start casting Haste. The ATB meter is really damn slow without Haste.

Cool, guess I can expect some challenge on the main story then. Do I need to grind for these bosses or just for the optional ones?

Yoshichan

I don't mind grinding so much, gives me stuff to do while listening to podcasts.

I'll try to be at the thread when it launches, but considering that I may take a week or so before I start playing I might fall behind on everyone, but I'll be following the thread, for sure.

I don't mind 30 minutes battles (unless you're talking about the tough enemy and not boss).

Cool, guess I can expect some challenge on the main story then. Do I need to grind for these bosses or just for the optional ones?
Only the optional bosses requires grinding. The main line bosses just requires you to know how the gameplay works.

Grinding really isn't necessary for either, it helps to a degree though. Don't use Auto-Battle though makes things more fun.
Don't worry, Auto-battle is the first thing I'll be turning off, I'm going to play this 90% for the battles, so I won't take any easy way outs.

Only the optional bosses requires grinding. The main line bosses just requires you to know how the gameplay works.

Good, I like my grinding to be optional. I wanna try those mechanics soon, seems fun, the only FF I remember with hard main line bosses is Type-0.

HeelPower

ATB refresh works for any enemy that has massive health.

Like this idiot when you fight him with sazh and vanille AHHHH(actually its a REALLY fun fight to figure out)

cb64027269d178f9e843e739c4f0bbeea3f96319_large.jpg

Looking at this pic I can't wait to replay the game omg

Yoshichan

looking at that pic... stomach twitches... i fucking need this badly! T______T

edit: wow, heelpower :lol same thing.

ATB refresh works for any enemy that has massive health.

Like this idiot when you fight him with sazh and vanille AHHHH(actually its a REALLY fun fight to figure out)

cb64027269d178f9e843e739c4f0bbeea3f96319_large.jpg

Looking at this pic I can't wait to replay the game omg

Then please don't spoil the fun stuff XD

Also, looking at a few videos from random gameplay bits and stuff... The game actually looks pretty good for when it came out. Is the art direction good throughout the entire game?

Yoshichan

The please don't spoil the fun stuff XD

Also, looking at a few videos from random gameplay bits and stuff... The game actually looks pretty good for when it came out. Is the art direction good throughout the entire game?

The art is the least thing one could complain about. That, and the music. The entirety of the game is (graphically) diverse, consistent in quality and absolutely brilliant. This includes monster design.

Yoshichan

Something to tease you all :p
That boss fight
after you climb those stairs
remains one of my favorite cutscenes! It oozes with atmosphere.

LuuKyK

I can't believe I am going to re-experience this game yet again. :') For me its still the best of the trilogy.

Thanks Square.

Top Bottom