• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

Artchur

So I set this up to download while I'm at work. I came home and found it sitting around 99% done and taking up close to double the HDD size (69gb). I was installing it on my SDD which is only 120 and wasn't able to free up anything else to get it done. Any ideas what the deal was with that? I thought the game was only 40 gb or so.

Sorry I can't see pictures at the moment. Is there a notable difference between high and ultra textures?

I take it I won't be able to use ultra textures on a 290X at 1440p?

nbthedude

So I set this up to download while I'm at work. I came home and found it sitting around 99% done and taking up close to double the HDD size (69gb). I was installing it on my SDD which is only 120 and wasn't able to free up anything else to get it done. Any ideas what the deal was with that? I thought the game was only 40 gb or so.
Game download file + install footprint size.

nbthedude

Sorry I can't see pictures at the moment. Is there a notable difference between high and ultra textures?

I take it I won't be able to use ultra textures on a 290X at 1440p?
I'm pretty happy with how it performs now so not sure ai want to fool with it but. I want to know this too, kinda. Worth downloading for a Geforce 780?

With everything except the texture pack turned all the way up it runs totally smooth.

For those with 970s, is it normal to get that odd resolution @ 100%? I notice it's the same resolution that is listed as "dynamic super sampling" in Nvidia control panel, but this is one of the standard resolutions that comes with the drivers.

Korezo

These are my benchmark results with a Gigabyte 970 + i5 2500k @ 4.5, 1920x1200, ultra everything + textures, vsync off. And yes, the minimum framerate shown here is just the initial stutter upon load. It's not indicative of a true drop.

Gigabyte 970 @ stock:

shadowofmordor_2014_0vxel9.png

Gigabyte 970 further OC'd:

shadowofmordor_2014_0rninn.png

i guess i have to disable sli, because i get avg 59fps with dips to 30s.

Seanspeed

Banned
With an i7 920@ 2.67ghz, GTX 570, and 8gb ram:

I averaged 62.9fps on the benchmark with settings at:
Resolution:1680x1050
Lighting: High
Mesh: Medium
Motion Blur: None
Shadows: Medium
Texture Filtering: Ultra
Texture Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: High
Vegetation Range: High
Tessellation On
Well done. That is how you play a PC game.

For anyone curious, here's the game at lowest settings at 1080p:
15212122217_a3bd76acd3_o.png

Game at highest (no texture pack yet)
15395477121_5a61da1957_o.png
The difference here is really small. :/

Alucrid

Banned
Going by your results nobody with a 2 GB vram card or lower would be able to run the game even at the lowest setting.

Independently of the setting the game will cache different amounts of vram if there is enough vram to do so.

The interesting part is to know how this lack of vram affects the performance. Streaming problema like in Watch Dogs? Maybe an overall framerate loss? More agressive lod perhaps?

We will have to wait for deeper benchs to know.

my gtx 460 has been good to me, looks like it's finally going the way of the dinosaur now though

Going by your results nobody with a 2 GB vram card or lower would be able to run the game even at the lowest setting.

Independently of the setting the game will cache different amounts of vram if there is enough vram to do so.

The interesting part is to know how this lack of vram affects the performance. Streaming problema like in Watch Dogs? Maybe an overall framerate loss? More agressive lod perhaps?

We will have to wait for deeper benchs to know.

First: He's running at max settings iirc. The only lower setting is textures.
Also, he's not running at 1080p but more than that.

Seanspeed

Banned
I can only imagine that it's a joke post because those 2 screenshots look identical to me
I can spot a couple little differences. The fur lining being the biggest one. Shadows, too.

But other than that, yea, you've really gotta look for em. Which is crazy. If this is a legit comparison, then we're basically talking about a game that almost any rig can play and have it look pretty damn close to people with nice setups.

I just kicked the texture setting up to High on my 2gb 7850 and I don't notice any sort of framerate drop, it all runs the same, only a slight bit of slowdown on first loading in but it lasted 2 seconds. Everything looks much sharper now, I was even running around full speed on the back of Cara-bear thing, and had no slowdown.

Durante

I can spot a couple little differences. The fur lining being the biggest one. Shadows, too.

But other than that, yea, you've really gotta look for em. Which is crazy. If this is a legit comparison, then we're basically talking about a game that almost any rig can play and have it look pretty damn close to people with nice setups.
That's also the conclusion of the preliminary PC Games Hardware test. Much ado about nothing.

They also checked VRAM consumption, and it really uses up to 5.5 GB with the Ultra texture pack. The differences, at least in their screenshots, are miniscule though.

Thoraxes

These are my benchmark results with a Gigabyte 970 + i5 2500k @ 4.5, 1920x1200, ultra everything + textures, vsync off. And yes, the minimum framerate shown here is just the initial stutter upon load. It's not indicative of a true drop.

Gigabyte 970 @ stock:

shadowofmordor_2014_0vxel9.png

Gigabyte 970 further OC'd:

shadowofmordor_2014_0rninn.png

You're making the wait to find a good 970 agonizing. Especially considering i'm coming from a 460 lol.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
From what I'm reading so far (unpacking was completed just as I was leaving for work), it's a game where you have to fiddle around with the settings to get the most out of it on your rig.

I love that, it's part of the game to me

nbthedude

That's also the conclusion of the preliminary PC Games Hardware test. Much ado about nothing.

They also checked VRAM consumption, and it really uses up to 5.5 GB with the Ultra texture pack. The differences, at least in their screenshots, are miniscule though.
I dunno about how well it is taking advantage of higher end rigs, but it seems the game runs fairly well and is stable even on mid-range cards on high end settings.

In my book that definitely means it is NOT a crap port.

Carlius

Banned
what a bunch of bullshit pr crap. 680 ultra textures, ambien occlusion on high everything else maxed out, and i am getting above 60fps. 32gb ram and 4790k

How you get Sli to work?

Fire up Inspector, scroll to the entry for Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, click on add application to current profile and select the game's executable in whatever folder you installed it to, then under the Compatibility section click the the drop down menu for SLI Compatibility bits (DX1x) and use the one that's labeled F.E.A.R. 3 then in the top right click Apply Changes

Sanctuary

what a bunch of bullshit pr crap. 680 ultra textures, ambien occlusion on high everything else maxed out, and i am getting above 60fps. 32gb ram and 4790k

That isn't saying much, unless you're sitting above 60 FPS the majority of the time and not dropping below 30 often, if at all.

Carlius

Banned
That isn't saying much, unless you're sitting above 60 FPS the majority of the time and not dropping below 30 often, if at all.

i get the ocassional drop to 30 but nothing below. If i take motion blur off, i barely drop. again, its just pr bullshit, this game doesnt need 6gb vram, just like watch dogs didnt need 3gb vram, ill confirm more after i play more

sobaka770

Banned
Well done. That is how you play a PC game.

The difference here is really small. :/

He forgot to reload game between the screenshots, that's why textures are the same, only changes are geometry (i.e. fur), maybe not even post-processing depending on how the game treats changes in graphics.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I'm running a 2gb EVGA 660ti. I'll be wanting to run the game at 1080p.

Do you gents reckon I'd be better off buying the PS4 version?

mandiller

I'm running the game with a mixture of high and medium settings with 70fps average on this system:

GTX 680 2GB
8GB RAM
2500k default clock
1080p

The game can have some great lighting but there are also moments when the lighting and texture work leave much to be desired. See below:

Autofokus

Any way to force triplebuffer vsync? D3DOverrider doesn't seem to work.

my rig:
Code:
i5-760 2.67ghz@3.8ghz
660Ti OC (2GB - 344.11)
12GB Ram
Win7-64

in-game settings (1080p, no AA):

Benchmark (with in-game Vsync enabled)

Benchmark (with in-game Vsync disabled)

Without triplebuffer, the last benchmark is useless to me -- absolutely can't stand tearing.

This game is not a looker and never will be. I thought ultra was gonna make all the difference in the world but honestly you'll question whether or not this game is "next gen" by the looks alone. Drop it down to high even med and you're not missing out. The most important part is that it's a consistent performer and it's a blast to play.

FWIW though, I'm playing on a 780ti 4670k. 80fps average all stock settings maxed (no ultra texture pack)

I'm running a 2gb EVGA 660ti. I'll be wanting to run the game at 1080p.

Do you gents reckon I'd be better off buying the PS4 version?

Fudge enough of the settings and you'll probably have something that looks and plays identical to the PS4 version. Up to you. PC is cheaper so I'll direct you there.

Jira

This doesn't look as impressive as I thought it would after watching the trailers.

The screenshots people are posting in this thread look like shit compared to what I'm seeing on my monitor. This seems to be one of those poor screenshot but beautiful in motion type games.

Top Bottom