• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/06 - 10/12

Rolf NB

sp0rsk said:
Sony started their ad blitz for LBP this week and to be honest, I don't think its very good.

It really does not show why LBP is a big deal. They should learn more from Nintendo. Stop all the conceptual shit and show the people what the game does and why it would be fun to play. Random gameplay footage after some weird live action thing isn't gonna get anyone interested.
Anything on Youtube?

The clips on PSN have been really nice. I don't understand why they'd produce a different style for TV. The most recent one, again, shows just level editing in extreme fast forward alternating with a few seconds of playing inside the created level. It really gets the point across that all this stuff can actually be made. As a campaign, I think it accomplishes what it needs to, and it could easily be trimmed to TV-compatible lengths. The problem is of course that you'll never see it unless you a)already own the system and b)already care enough to download videos from the store.

Nocebo

Kobun Heat said:
This is PlayStation 3's worst week ever by far, right? By over a thousand units? I can't even keep track anymore because it keeps breaking its own record.
:lol ouch that's harsh.

The PS3 has the sharpest drop (21%) among all consoles, which is kinda abnormal. Maybe people are waiting for the recently announced 80GB models and bundles?

sphinx

the piano man
AnimeTheme said:
The PS3 has the sharpest drop (21%) among all consoles, which is kinda abnormal. Maybe people are waiting for the recently announced 80GB models and bundles?

people waiting for bundles and newer/better deals is only part of the truth.

the other part is that japan simply does not like the PS3 with its shitty western games and a game selection that appears to grow at the slowest pace possible.

considering this, I wouldn't expect any of the coming bundles to set the charts on fire.

Soule

Hardware sales in general are pretty dull, probably not the right time of year to expect higher sales or perhaps I'm used to years gone by when it was common for sales to be more than double this per usual.

Jonnyram

AnimeTheme said:
Maybe people are waiting for the recently announced 80GB models and bundles?
How many times did we hear this same line with the GC? It's funny how things have come full circle this gen.

Jonnyram said:
How many times did we hear this same line with the GC? It's funny how things have come full circle this gen.

Comparing with last week, XB360 -6%, Wii -10%, PS2 -19% (still normal considering the past SRW/Musou bump). Do you have a better explanation for PS3 -21%?

Rock_Man

AnimeTheme said:
Comparing with last week, XB360 -6%, Wii -10%, PS2 -19% (still normal considering the past SRW/Musou bump). Do you have a better explanation for PS3 -21%?

Money is running out and PS3 is the most expensive game console.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:

If this generation has proven anything, it is its bizarre unpredictability.

If the 360 can defy expectations, and the PSP can handily outsell the DSL and Wii for most of the year, then I think the PS3 deserves something a little more than being compared to the GC at this point.

test_account

XP-39C²
Regarding people waiting for the 80GB PS3 vs the Gamecube stuff, Joshua made a graph in the last week's Media Create thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13162342&postcount=127

It shows that the Gamecube sales went down in sales the few weeks before the pricedrop on the Gamecube. This was the Gamecube's first pricedrop and the PS3 isnt getting a pricedrop now though, but you do get free stuff, so i guess it could have sort of the same effect as a pricedrop. With effect i mean that people are waiting for the new 80GB SKU like they would have waited for a pricedrop, and this might result in lower sales the weeks before.

Waiting for the 80GB PS3 will get you 40GB extra HDD space and GT5P Spec III or Little Big Planet for free (it is the same price as the current 40GB PS3 as far as i know). The 80GB PS3 will also include a Dual Shock 3 controller. I dont think the 40GB PS3 includes a Dual Shock 3 controller.

But as cvxfreak says, its not always easy to predict what will happend in this generation. The lower PS3 sales the last few weeks might not be because that people are waiting for the 80GB PS3, it might be that people in general have lost more interest in the PS3 and/or that this is a slow period for consoles sales, but we will see what happends when the 80GB PS3 comes out for sale :)

The 80GB PS3 SKU will release on the 30th of this month, we'll see about the amount pent-up demand soon enough. There'll be a spike for sure, but to what extent? All this speculation is pretty much meaningless without predicting any numbers.

Considering the time (approaching the shopping season), release of the proclaimed big shopping season title (for Japan as well, some Sony rep. said this iirc) and new bundles in the three colours at least around 20-30k is what I would be expecting. Last year had the price drop/new SKU with a new colour, shockaxis and DW around the same time. Iirc it sold around 60k. I'm aiming a lot lower than that because of the lack of a price drop (added value isn't as effective) and my uncertainty concerning LBP's appeal to japanese tastes. It'll get a big marketing push no doubt, but I still have some doubts about the success. DW was more of a safe bet.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...

PSP comparisons: After 200 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 148.5 weeks (January 1, 2003), where DS was at 89.6 weeks (August 17, 2006), and where GBA was at 127.4 weeks (August 26, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 148 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 14.7 weeks (December 21, 2001), where PS3 was at 17.1 weeks (March 4, 2007), and where Wii was at 3.8 weeks (December 22, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 100 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 21.9 weeks (July 29, 2000), where PSP was at 53.5 weeks (December 14, 2005), where GCN was at 102.3 weeks (August 26, 2003), and where Wii was at 23.9 weeks (May 12, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 97 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 90.1 weeks (December 8, 2002), where DS was at 70.5 weeks (April 5, 2006), where PS2 was at 98.6 weeks (January 16, 2002), and where PSP was at 154.3 weeks (November 19, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 57.2 / 42.8 bring total shares to 69.4 / 30.6. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 551.3 weeks (May 8, 2019).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 57.5 / 42.5 bring total shares to 23.4 / 76.6. At this week's rate X360 catches up in 800.7 weeks (February 16, 2024). If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 209.3 weeks (October 16, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 20.0 / 80.0 bring total shares to 25.4 / 74.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 787.9 weeks (November 19, 2023).

So putting bits from the last two together, if Wii stopped selling while X360 and PS3 continued at this week's rates, PS3 would become the top current-gen console on November 19, 2023, but lose the crown to X360 a few months later on February 16, 2024.

Week over week, everything is down somewhat. It's most noticeable with DSL, again presumably due to the announcement of DSi being the week before and the launch of DSi being only weeks away.
X360

Other
Looks like Dengeki has the top 10 numbers up again. Last week it never happened; I suppose they deemed it skippable while focusing on TGS.

Nuclear Muffin said:
What was the lowest weekly number that the GCN ever sunk to? (Not counting the time after the Wii's release)
Depends on whether you go by Famitsu or Media Create whether it got to around 500 or around 600 just before Wii's release, but it was under 1K for a few months prior anyway.
fam

Hellraizer said:
Lack of games interesting for the japanese audience?
That's more a reason for its overall lack of success, rather than a sudden one-week effect.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
The 80GB PS3 SKU will release on the 30th of this month, we'll see about the amount pent-up demand soon enough. There'll be a spike for sure, but to what extent? All this speculation is pretty much meaningless without predicting any numbers.

Considering the time (approaching the shopping season), release of the proclaimed big shopping season title (for Japan as well, some Sony rep. said this iirc) and new bundles in the three colours at least around 20-30k is what I would be expecting. Last year had the price drop/new SKU with a new colour, shockaxis and DW around the same time. Iirc it sold around 60k. I'm aiming a lot lower than that because of the lack of a price drop (added value isn't as effective) and my uncertainty concerning LBP's appeal to japanese tastes. It'll get a big marketing push no doubt, but I still have some doubts about the success. DW was more of a safe bet.
I think it is cooler when people make more direct predicitons with numbers, but i wouldnt say it is directly meaningless to make predictions without prediciting any direct numbers. The way i see this prediction is that people are predicting that the reason for the current ~5k PS3 hardware sales is because they are waiting for the 80GB PS3, and they predict that the PS3 hardware sale will go up after the 80GB PS3 comes out for sale.

The PS3 will most likely get a sales spike the first week or so as you say, but even if the PS3 hardware sale numbers goes back to the way it used to be (at about 7k-10k a week) after the 80GB PS3 comes out for sale, then you might say that the reason for the about 5k a week hardware sale now was because of that the people were waiting for the 80GB PS3. This way the prediction might become right, eventhough that you dont have any direct numbers :)

But of course, the difference between like 5k and 7k is not really that big. This might just be a slow period for the PS3, its not 100% sure that the reason for the about 5k hardware sales a week is just because that people are waiting for the 80GB PS3. I guess we wont know the answer 100% sure.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:

If the 360 can defy expectations, and the PSP can handily outsell the DSL and Wii for most of the year, then I think the PS3 deserves something a little more than being compared to the GC at this point.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying how funny it is that the same lines are being said. No inference about future performance is made, esp. considering PS3 is more than double the price GC was at this point.

cvxfreak said:

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 comparisons: After 100 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 21.9 weeks (July 29, 2000), where PSP was at 53.5 weeks (December 14, 2005), where GCN was at 102.3 weeks (August 26, 2003), and where Wii was at 23.9 weeks (May 12, 2007).
:lol

It's time for All-Time charts!!211"

This time a Top100 ;)

Only Top100:

System Allocation:
Code:
Titles	System		Units

27x	NES		58.320.000
13x	GB(C)		43.187.051
14x	NDS		40.711.813
17x	SNES		40.420.000
 9x	PSX		22.697.709
 6x	PS2		13.217.711
 5x	Wii		11.727.000
 3x	GBA		10.216.660
 3x	N64		 4.983.637
 2x	PSP		 4.138.387
 1x	SS		 1.417.034

Publisher Allocation:
Code:
Titles	Publisher	Units

61x	Nintendo	164.762.013
11x	Square		 25.142.817
 9x	Enix		 24.197.128
 5x	Capcom		 11.273.362
 4x	Square Enix	  8.959.995
 4x	SCE		  6.863.700
 2x	Konami		  3.733.134
 1x	Enterbrain	  1.737.819
 1x	Hudson		  1.500.000
 1x	Bandai		  1.450.000
 1x	Sega		  1.417.034

Rank / System / Title / First week / LTD / Publisher / Numbers till
ouuvl5.png

Famitsu Software Stuff
Dragon Ball Origins (3186) is doing better than any other GBA/DS/PSP Dragon Ball game through three weeks. However, it will soon fall under DS's DBZ Supersonic Warriors 2 (131) which was a bit hit in holiday 2005.
O

Unsurprisingly, PS2's Dynasty Warriors 6 Special is starting off significantly worse than previous PS2 entries, the last main title of which was released 3.5 years back.
DW6S

Super Robot Wars Z is doing decently, though. PS2 games can still do well, and not being a year-late port helps.
Z

First day numbers :

Wii Music - 50k
Sky Crawlers - 3k
Yuusha 2 - 35k
Culdcept DS - 35k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

Some additional source, which posted pretty much the same numbers on 2ch before even the sinobi entry, also came with sell-through (couldn't find a more solid source for these, unfortunately) :

Wii Music - 15%
Sky Crawlers - 25%
Yuusha 2 - 45%
Culdcept DS - 48%

Also, mentioned by the 2ch source, but not mentioned by sinobi :

Gundam 27500 (36%)
Daikaijuu 4500 (20%)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well at least Namco apparently didn't have high expectations for Sky Crawlers :lol :lol

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Stormbringer said:
First day numbers :

Wii Music - 50k

Interesting development, it could go either way.

I have a theory that Wii Fit is a game prominent with girls and it's the equivalent of Nintendogs on the Wii, with Japan being the region where it's least popular and the US(the last released region) the most popular. But I don't think it really took off in the US the way it should yet, that could be because of supply but also on a cultural phenomenon level, it didn't strike yet. Maybe that is waiting on supply being available, or perhaps it needs both that and its own electroplankton, but we'll see.

schuelma

BishopLamont said:
Wow, interesting first day numbers for Wii Music.

It will probably get to about 100K first week, and if it has any kind of legs similar to the other "Wii" games, it might still get close to a million.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wii Music, too early to call anything. You already know you'll look dumb if you say "BOMBA" and the thing ends up selling 50k a day for the next two weeks. We can pretty much be certain given the shipment number that it won't sell out.

Sky Crawlers seems like a bomba, but why did they only ship 12k?

Solid for Culdcept. Outsold the 360 versipn's LTD in one day. Josh strangely does not have the PS2 version's numbers, but I'd say the DS version will end up being the best selling.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
Sky Crawlers seems like a bomba, but why did they only ship 12k?

I wonder if they were really pushing it- If I remember correctly from the various TGS reports, it had a tiny presence in the Namco booth.

Gundam 00 PS2 did pretty similar to the DS title which first day was:
NDS Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 - 30,000 (50% sell through)

Namaikida 2 improved as expected, first one first day:
PSP Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida - 15k (60% sell through, 25k shipment)

Kafel

Banned
I think we all know Wii Music will have legs.

Its first day sales don't matter that much, casuals don't know release dates.

schuelma

Kafel said:
I think we all know Wii Music will have legs.

Its first day sales don't matter that much, casuals don't know release dates.

True, though I think it is fair to say that in terms of immediate appeal/hype, Wii Music is not going to come close to Wii Fit.

Nocebo said:
Yeah, that really is regrettable, especially given how particularly positive the impressions and word of mouth seem so far for this game...

Spiegel said:
I think Sinobi says something about the PsP-3000 sales.
Yep. Doesn't seem like it was that spectacular of a launch, from what I understand...Someone else might be able to give a more precise translation of this part though.

Top Bottom