• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts | Helldivers 2 drives UK March game sales up 26%

FF7Re almost outsold DD2 despite being PS5 only? Wow. Kudos to Square Enix. They’ll get all this sales money, whatever Sony gave them for the money hat, plus get a second go of it when the PC version releases next year. The chart doesn’t even include the bundle sales with FF7R either which is tracked separately.

Glad to see such a great game being a financial success too. I’d be curious about development costs but since they just used the same engine and team as the first game, I’d hope the development costs were reasonable.

Also, poor Ronin. That’s a brutal debut.
Not surprising with Ronin. It is hopefully bound to be the "Days Gone" of this generation, where it get good word of mouth. A very fun game

Last edited:
Helldivers surpassing Spiderman is...I have no words. I'm literally getting teary eyed thinking about what this means.
It means thats what happens when a game is being sold on 2 platforms compared one platform to at half the price. Im pretty sure Spiderman 2 has made more revenue just based off the initial price. A lot of people bought the deluxe edition, special controllers and Spiderman themed console.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It means thats what happens when a game is being sold on 2 platforms compared one platform to at half the price. Im pretty sure Spiderman 2 has made more revenue just based off the initial price. A lot of people bought the deluxe edition, special controllers and Spiderman themed console.

I can assure you of 3 things...

I know it means more than that.
PlayStation knows it means more than that.
You know it means more than that.

Of this I am certain.

Last edited:

yazenov

Sony struck gold with Hell divers 2. I'd imagine it exceeded their expectations by a mile. However, I doubt Sony is able to follow-up the success of this Gaas game with another one. Sony should proceed with extreme caution and stick to their bread and butter that got them to the game, instead of an unknown quantity that is competing with a plathora of titles in the game genre.

Some people are acting like releasing a Gaas game day 1 on PC and PS5 is guaranteed recipe for success, when they have forgotten all the other dime a dozen games that flopped before it.

Hell divers 2 is like a lightning in a bottle that is impossible to follow-up imo. Don't expect many games like this from Sony.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well said.

And also, Spider-Man 2 did its main job, i.e., selling PS5 consoles and bringing more people into the closed PlayStation ecosystem where they would buy more games and add-ons.

Different games have different purposes. And it hurts to see people being so stupid that they think every game is the same that they start comparing them.
  • Helldivers 2's main job is to earn operating profit by selling enough copies as well as recurring revenue with its live-service elements.
  • Spider-Man 2's main job is to earn operating profit by selling enough copies and help sell PS5 consoles.

Last edited:

Woopah

Sony struck gold with Hell divers 2. I'd imagine it exceeded their expectations by a mile. However, I doubt Sony is able to follow-up the success of this Gaas game with another one. Sony should proceed with extreme caution and stick to their bread and butter that got them to the game, instead of an unknown quantity that is competing with a plathora of titles in the game genre.

Some people are acting like releasing a Gaas game day 1 on PC and PS5 is guaranteed recipe for success, when they have forgotten all the other dime a dozen games that flopped before it.

Hell divers 2 is like a lightning in a bottle that is impossible to follow-up imo. Don't expect many games like this from Sony.
It will be very difficult to follow up, but I think Sony will still try. Maybe not try as hard as they were planning to a few years ago, but still publish multiple GAAS titles. Will be very interesting to see how Concord performs.

Had a couple games this evening and I think I'm done with it after not playing for a while. Only got to level 15 and whilst I really enjoyed it initially, I don't think the gameplay loop could hold my attention for another 25 hours.

Not surprising with Ronin. It is hopefully bound to be the "Days Gone" of this generation, where it get good word of mouth. A very fun game
Different markets, but in both Japan and France Rise of the Ronin is continuing to perform well due to good word of mouth.

GFK - FRANCE WEEK 13, 2024 (MAR 25 - MAR 31) - [INDIVIDUAL FORMATS] - [UNITS] - [RETAIL ONLY] - [NO BUNDLE]

01 (01) [NSW] PRINCESS PEACH SHOWTIME ! (NINTENDO)
02 (02) [PS5] RISE OF THE RONIN (SONY INTERACTIVE ENT.)
03 (05) [NSW] SUPER MARIO BROS. WONDER (NINTENDO)
04 (06) [NSW] MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
05 (07) [PS5] EA SPORTS FC 24 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (03) [PS5] DRAGON'S DOGMA II (CAPCOM)
07 (08) [NSW] MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT)
08 (RE) [NSW] MARIO VS DONKEY KONG (NINTENDO)
09 (09) [NSW] EA SPORTS FC 24 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (NE) [PS5] SOUTH PARK SNOW DAY ! (THQ NORDIC)

Japan

PS5 "Rise of the Ronin"Within two weeks of its release, it had risen to number one paid game on the PS Store.This game didn't reach number one before its release or in its first week, but will its reputation spread?

Famitsu Sales: Week 13, 2024 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Software​

1st Switch Princess Peach Showtime!
27,258 (total 104,820) -65% / Nintendo / March 22, 2024

2nd PS5 Rise of the Ronin
20,139 (total 84,785) -69% / Sony Interactive Entertainment / March 22, 2024

3rd Switch Winning Post 10 2024
12,845 (total 12,845) New / Koei Tecmo Games / March 28, 2024

4th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10,432 (total 5,768,608) +12% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

5th PS5 Dragon's Dogma 2
9,172 (total 77,764) -87% / Capcom / March 22, 2024

6th Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
8,163 (total 1,803,747) +1% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

7th PS5 Winning Post 10 2024
6,733 (total 6733) New / Koei Tecmo Games / March 28, 2024

8th Switch Minecraft
6,618 (total 3,483,557) +1% / Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

9th Switch Animal Crossing: New Horizons
6,411 (total 7,729,183) +4% / Nintendo / March 20, 2020

10th Switch Splatoon 3
6,172 (total 4,264,330) -3% / Nintendo / September 9, 2022

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The result? A narrow success for Dragon's Dogma 2, which debuts at No.3 in this month's chart, while Final Fantasy VII Rebirth comes in at No.4. There isn't a huge amount in it, but it's worth noting that Dragon's Dogma 2 had only been on the market for two weeks when this data was counted.

GG Capcom, only 2 weeks of sales and a pretty good start.

Dogma 2 is ace.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
barack obama potus GIF by Obama

BbMajor7th

I dont know how it can be called cynical given how high the production value and how generous the game is
Rebirth is an amalgam of every tired open world trend going, wrapped in pretty FFVII-brand wrapping paper and stretched over a massive canvas.

Scale and presentation are totally superficial aspects that every cynical AAA publisher leans on to sell their game, as is reworking well-loved, classic IP.

Rebirth is an achingly cynical amusement park of themed mini games played out by familiar faces. It claims to be a reimagining whilst being a lifeless retread filled with trivial content that adds little of consequence to the world or characters. Without the IP and the budget, it'd be utterly meaningless as a game.

Last edited:

wa600

FF7Re almost outsold DD2 despite being PS5 only? Wow. Kudos to Square Enix. They’ll get all this sales money, whatever Sony gave them for the money hat, plus get a second go of it when the PC version releases next year. The chart doesn’t even include the bundle sales with FF7R either which is tracked separately.

Glad to see such a great game being a financial success too. I’d be curious about development costs but since they just used the same engine and team as the first game, I’d hope the development costs were reasonable.

Also, poor Ronin. That’s a brutal debut.

Actually thought you were being sarcastic at first.
Rebirth sales really don't sound great to me. It was being voted as the most anticipated game at the game awards and only managed a 5th place in its debut month? Where will the game be in overall sales for 2024? Its so frontloaded that top 20 doesn't sound likely.

I hope sony can pull it back and at least get to flat yoy or hopefully with a few percent increase. Not looking good for the console market as a whole with these declines.

Seems like Xbox are the only ones failing here unless you count those Chinese consoles as part of the console market. PlayStation and Nintendo seem to be doing fine when it comes to sales.

Last edited:
Steam and PC gaming is just flying. Crazy that Helldivers 2 is now ahead of Spider Man 2. Good fun game is winning! I love to see it.
This game got me so hooked its crazy.

Yesterday I wanted a little break, so I fired up MW3. 2 minutes into the match and I ALT+F4'd that shit, uninstalled it and went back to Helldivers.

It's so good I lost all incentive to play MW3 which is now closer to Fortnite content wise with all its colors, 4/20 references and stoner skins.

A+ for Managed Democracy!!

Helldivers 2 is a huge success.

Too bad Totoki is probably still not happy!
Totoki can f@ck off the Clown.If he has anything to complain he has no business being there at PlayStation. These suits who have no clue about gaming and only care about those trash stock holders are the worst.These are the people destroying everything for a few better numbers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I can assure you of 3 things...

I know it means more than that.
PlayStation knows it means more than that.
You know it means more than that.

Of this I am certain.

Are you really certain? Because you seem to be assuming HD2 is the way forward for Playstation and NOT Spiderman 2.

Thinking HD2 is lightning in a bottle would be the WORST thing for Sony to think. I'm hoping they aren't themselves viewing it that way. Instead, they should be learning why it worked.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Rebirth is an amalgam of every tired open world trend going, wrapped in pretty FFVII-brand wrapping paper and stretched over a massive canvas.
That may well be true, but far more cynical - and recycled trendy ones - AAAs have sold better than this. I'd argue some do so on annual basis even.
And besides front-loaded IPs like these don't tank the launch sales on the quality of current release - but what came before them.

Instead, they should be learning why it worked.
That runs the danger of survivorship bias - which is how this industry already operates - way too much of the time (double and triple-down on whatever worked before, and then do it all over again).
Not to say lessons aren't to be learned here - but I fear they won't be the right ones.

BbMajor7th

That may well be true, but far more cynical - and recycled trendy ones - AAAs have sold better than this. I'd argue some do so on annual basis even.
And besides front-loaded IPs like these don't tank the launch sales on the quality of current release - but what came before them.
True. I think the main appeal of the remake is seeing familiar faces in 4K and they already did that ,- returns are bound to be diminishing.

Top Bottom