• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 To Reclaim Steam #1 Seller Spot

Don Carlo

From article cover:

Helldivers 2 does not appear to be losing momentum anytime soon. Having ruled over the Steam best-sellers list for a month, this game was recently dethroned. However, in less than a week, the co-op shooter is back, returning as the best-selling Steam game.

Why it matters:
This type of success is unprecedented for most games. The game seems to have found itself in a similar situation as Baldur’s Gate 3 from 2023, which showed a similar dominance over the Steam best-sellers charts.

Helldivers 2 Steam Charts

Helldivers 2 is back on Steam’s top-seller spot.

The game was replaced by none other than Dragon’s Dogma 2. However, with Capcom’s RPG slowing down after a somewhat troubled launch, Arrowhead Game Studios’ live-service offering has seized the opportunity.

Yet again, the game is ahead of free-to-play titles. According to reports, it dominated the charts in February as the highest-grossing release. It even recorded a mammoth number of over 8 million units sold in less than two months.

Incredible. The game came out more than a month ago. All praise to Arrowhead for making such a genuinely fun game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just find it odd that sony has been completely silent about this game. They had no problem telling us GOW sold 5 million then 11 million in 3 months. they had no problem telling us Spiderman 2 sold 2.5 million in one day and 5 million in one week. or that ratchet sold 1 million and returnal 500k.

this game is probably selling faster than GOW Ragnorak. Why wont they celebrate what is likely their fastest or second fastest selling game of all time?

Don Carlo

I just find it odd that sony has been completely silent about this game. They had no problem telling us GOW sold 5 million then 11 million in 3 months. they had no problem telling us Spiderman 2 sold 2.5 million in one day and 5 million in one week. or that ratchet sold 1 million and returnal 500k.

this game is probably selling faster than GOW Ragnorak. Why wont they celebrate what is likely their fastest or second fastest selling game of all time?
My thoughts exactly. So far NO official sales confirmation from neither Arrowhead nor Sony, the publisher. Johan keeps spilling the beans on Twitter casually lol.

Perrott

Gold Member

They're probably saving Helldivers II numbers (which keep on growing) for their Q4 FY report.

They leaving it all at word of mouth, minimal marketing, till they prepare DLC or better monetization so it can be presented to shareholders as a Apex/COD/Fortnite equivalent. Release the information when they have negative news about another live service game, like if Destiny 2 continues to be flat.

They could be preparing Star Wars skins for example.

They got marketing and accountants on a frenzy, how they can portray this as the first step of a of new flourishing sector. ditto

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

They're not announcing sales figures because its still selling well. You announce figures as soon as you see the sales fall off a cliff. Helldivers 2 is going to have crazy numbers.

Don't forget that HD2 had issues with too many players. Sony probably didn't want to make it worse by promoting it too hard if the servers are barely holding on for dear life.
It is a Sony console exclusive. It is doing great. Sony doesn't see the point of interfering in a good thing. If the studio ask for a promotion push Sony would give them one.

Lupin25

Maybe because they want to tell us they ancquired Arrowhead first. We’ll see.

What's so wrong with nProtect? Is it an anti-tamper tool?

It's a kernal level root kit , meaning it has privileges above your PC's admin. What differs from other anti cheats is it's always running, scanning your entire PC and reporting what you're doing to whoever even when Helldivers is not running. Worst case scenario is the company who makes it gets hacked, all your information stolen and your house burned down because they can overclock your PC to 10,000 MHz. Even if they don't get hacked, it's a given that the Korean company who makes the anti cheat has all your passwords and credit card information.

gatti-man

Sony had tv spots for this game during the NCAA tourny. I never saw anything when the game launched. That says massive sales to me and that Sony is still kindof in disbelief.

they're still busy kicking themselves for buying bungie when all they really had to do was buy arrowhead (for ridiculously less) instead?...

Sacred

It's a kernal level root kit , meaning it has privileges above your PC's admin. What differs from other anti cheats is it's always running, scanning your entire PC and reporting what you're doing to whoever even when Helldivers is not running. Worst case scenario is the company who makes it gets hacked, all your information stolen and your house burned down because they can overclock your PC to 10,000 MHz. Even if they don't get hacked, it's a given that the Korean company who makes the anti cheat has all your passwords and credit card information.
This 100%, I would never put this shit on my PC or any device.

Last edited:

IAmRei

One is a fun take on squad-based multiplayer and the other one wants you to spend real money on fast travel

Yeah I wonder how capcom couldve fucked up so badly here…
Do you ever played dragon dogma? You can get the item naturally in game, without spending anything in mtx. I was in 1.5 hour in game and already got teleport. And the game it self is intended against easy fast travel. And its literally the same with the first one a decade ago. MH, Tales series, all using this kind of model.

Do you ever played dragon dogma? You can get the item naturally in game, without spending anything in mtx. I was in 1.5 hour in game and already got teleport. And the game it self is intended against easy fast travel. And its literally the same with the first one a decade ago. MH, Tales series, all using this kind of model.
The ones who are saying things like what he said just don’t care and don’t care to find out. It didn’t help that youtube grifters instantly latched onto the DD2 MTX news for easy views.

Only a few semi-known youtubers rescinded their statement once they did a tiny amount of research, but for the most part the well has already been poisoned. I just hope the game has good enough lifetime sales for another sequel years from now.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It doesn't run when Helldivers is not running. Nor would the company have access to your credit card information or passwords.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Because it didn’t launch as an exclusive.

Sacred

It doesn't run when Helldivers is not running. Nor would the company have access to your credit card information or passwords.
This is false, unless you manually go into your services and stop this it is always running in the background. It also, scans your files constantly looking for "cheats" and which includes your site credentials if they are stored on a keychain.

Last edited:

Zathalus

This is false, unless you manually go into your services and stop this it is always running in the background. It also, scans your files constantly looking for "cheats" and which includes your site credentials if they are stored on a keychain.

So a link with actual zero proof from 8 years ago is your evidence?

Killjoy-NL

Maybe it's just something simple as the fact that GOW is a flag-ship system-selling title, whereas Helldivers 2 is a sleeper-hit.

It's called humility.

Or, maybe, they're just waiting until their next fiscal report, which should be early next month (their FY '23 Q4 ends today).

Either way we should be getting an official sales update sometime in April.

Zathalus

There are half a million article out there, what are you even talking about. Just take your L and let it go.
There are articles out there that claim otherwise, as well as statements from the Helldivers 2 technical director.

I can also just check my own PC and see that it is clearly not running while the game is closed. Or that Arrowhead studios would be in deep shit if it collected any personal information from your computer due to GDPR.

simpatico

If Sony knew how popular this would be imagine how much bullshit they would have put in it. I guarantee the cash store would have been way more fleshed out (in a bad way) and I estimate we would have seen at least a $59.99 price tag. How detached has management become when they had this MP GOTY contender under their noses and they seemed to be completely oblivious to it.

Last edited:
If Sony knew how popular this would be imagine how much bullshit they would have put in it. I guarantee the cash store would have been way more fleshed out (in a bad way) and I estimate we would have seen at least a $59.99 price tag. How detached has management become when they had this MP GOTY contender under their noses and they seemed to be completely oblivious to it.
What are you on about? SONY gave the game additional funding during development. They KNEW.

Top Bottom