• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European GSD March 2024: EA FC 24 #1, Helldivers 2 #2, Dragon’s Dogma 2 #3

Command & Conquer games flooded the European charts in March after EA put out a bundle of games on Steam.

Five titles in the iconic strategy series make the Top Ten, led by Command & Conquer Generals at No.4. The result of this means that new releases such as WWE 2K24 (No.12), Rise Of The Ronin (No.18) and Princess Peach Showtime (No.23), all chart lower than expected. There are 11 Command & Conquer titles in the Top 20.

In total, 15.9 million console and PC games were sold across European markets, according to GSD (which tracks digital and physical console and PC game sales). That's a rise of 35% over the same four-week period last year. For the full quarter, game sales are up more than 9% across Europe, which is better than many analysts had predicted. This is despite the absence of Palworld data from the charts (Palworld was a particularly big hit in January).
For March, Helldivers 2's stay at the top of the European charts is over as the game drops to No.2, but it's still delivering impressive numbers. EA Sports FC24 reclaimed its position at No.1.

There was one new game that managed to overcome the deluge of Command & Conquer titles and that was Capcom's Dragon's Dogma 2, which was a strong hit across Europe. It's one of two big Japanese RPGs to launch this year so far, following Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth at the end of February. Comparing the first two weeks on sale for both games, Final Fantasy just about beat Dragon's Dogma. Note: Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth was only released on PS5, whereas Dragon's Dogma 2 is on PS5, PC and Xbox.
In terms of hardware, for the same four-week period console sales are down 27% to 317,090 units across tracked markets (UK and Germany data is missing.

PS5 saw the biggest drop of nearly 31% year-on-year for March, but remains comfortably the best-selling console across Europe. This is partially due to the fact that PS5 became freely available this time last year, so there was a surge in console sales in early 2023.
In terms of accessories, 1.2 million of these products were sold across tracked European markets, a drop of 0.3% over the year before. The DualSense controller for PS5 leads the way comfortably, with the Xbox Series Wireless controller in second place.

European GSD March 2024 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Helldivers 2 (Sony)
3Dragon's Dogma 2 (Capcom)
4Command & Conquer: Generals (EA)
5Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
6Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
7Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (EA)
8Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (EA)
9Command & Conquer: Renegade (EA)
10Command & Conquer: Red Alert (EA)

Bergoglio

PS5 saw the biggest drop of nearly 31% year-on-year for March.

WeaoGkI.gif

Woopah

Really strong for Helldivers 2 again.

This is the type of drop I was expecting for PS5 in March (vs. the 9% fall we saw in the UK), so I guess the end of shortages in 2023 had a greater impact in continental Europe.

yazenov

"Comparing the first two weeks on sale for both games, Final Fantasy just about beat Dragon’s Dogma.

Note: Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth was only released on PS5, whereas Dragon’s Dogma 2 is on PS5, PC and Xbox."

Hell yeah for Ff7 rebirth, on one platform.

Last edited:

jm89

"Comparing the first two weeks on sale for both games, Final Fantasy just about beat Dragon’s Dogma.

Note: Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth was only released on PS5, whereas Dragon’s Dogma 2 is on PS5, PC and Xbox."

Europe is supposed to be a PC centric region aswell where i thought dd2 would do bigger numbers.

Dragons dogma 2 was hyped through the moon and is looking like an ok game in retrospect.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
March was the month europe (outside the UK) started to actually get PS5 units so this was to be expected. The good part is what says right after "but remains comfortably the best-selling console across Europe"
Exactly.

Biggest drop and yet still the best selling console.

Thats wild. Would be even wilder if Xbox saw an increase. Switch is in literal end of generation mode so thats whatever.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

yazenov

Exactly.

Biggest drop and yet still the best selling console.

Thats wild. Would be even wilder if Xbox saw an increase. Switch is in literal end of generation mode so thats whatever.

tenor.gif

Europe is supposed to be a PC centric region aswell where i thought dd2 would do bigger numbers.

Dragons dogma 2 was hyped through the moon and is looking like an ok game in retrospect.

The better game won.

Joanne The Scammer Running GIF by Super Deluxe

Killjoy-NL

That's just the typical bubble people are living in.

At least as far as Gaf goes, they are in no way representative of the average gamer.

Last edited:

Three

Really strong for Helldivers 2 again.

This is the type of drop I was expecting for PS5 in March (vs. the 9% fall we saw in the UK), so I guess the end of shortages in 2023 had a greater impact in continental Europe.
Sony were sending most stock to the US and UK because that's where they had the most competition. The way to tell is to look at the jumps in sales last year. In the UK for this quarter sales of PS5 were up 180%. In Europe they were up 369%.

Last edited:

Fredrik

People are going to freak out if HD2 wins some kind of GOTY
I’ve seen plenty of people say it’s their GOTY. Should definitely be nominated at TGA or it’ll end like with Hogwarts where the show just seem like a joke and out of touch with the gaming community.

Woopah

Sony were sending most stock to the US and UK because that's where they had the most competition. The way to tell is to look at the jumps in sales last year. In the UK for this quarter sales of PS5 were up 180%. In Europe they were up 369%.
That does make sense!

People are going to freak out if HD2 wins some kind of GOTY

It's so interesting how quiet Sony has been about HD2. I really wonder what the publisher-developer split on the revenue is here. It's interesting since Sony owns the Helldivers IP, so it might not be your traditional split. Nevertheless, it seems like would be a windfall for Sony, but for their quarterly finances might be wiped out by aggressive pricing on Spider-Man PS5 bundles.

I think there is too much competition for HD2 to win GOTY, but it'll be more interesting to see if it actually gets nominated.

Right now a quarter into the year, I'd say we're looking at Dragon's Dogma 2, FF7 Rebirth, and maybe Metroid Prime 4 if it releases this year.

It's so interesting how quiet Sony has been about HD2. I really wonder what the publisher-developer split on the revenue is here. It's interesting since Sony owns the Helldivers IP, so it might not be your traditional split. Nevertheless, it seems like would be a windfall for Sony, but for their quarterly finances might be wiped out by aggressive pricing on Spider-Man PS5 bundles.

I think there is too much competition for HD2 to win GOTY, but it'll be more interesting to see if it actually gets nominated.

Right now a quarter into the year, I'd say we're looking at Dragon's Dogma 2, FF7 Rebirth, and maybe Metroid Prime 4 if it releases this year.
remember dorito's pope is in Sony's bag so I think he will make a new category just for HD2 to win. But I think HD2's meta narrative is kind of worth being praised.

It’s a lock for best multiplayer game. Why would anyone freak out about that?
Why? 🤔🤔🤔 Several reasons. But one is that it was hailed as the AAA killer or the game that showed those AAA gaming bastards how it's done

so it will feel like "democracy is winning" and some people will make it a big deal.

Crayon

17 games in the collection? This is just screaming "buy me and never play me". I don't think I can resist...

Top Bottom