• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaDL50

Has Evo said why there are no Porches, only tuning shop carsRUF's. Is it due licensing issues? Same thing is with GT, no Porches, instead RUF's..

Apparently EA has the exclusive license to Porsche vehicles in video games. It just so happens Porsche took a hands off approach to this licensing deal.

Meaning if other companies want to have official Porsche cars in their game, the licensing agreement requires the company to get a sub-license through EA rather then get a separate license from Porsche directly.

http://jalopnik.com/5834368/porsche-doesnt-care-about-video-game-people
http://www.imotortimes.com/gran-turismo-6-get-porsche-eventually-possibly-report-21653

I don't think Evolution Studios would put themselves in a situation to be beholden to EA just over the rights of a single car manufacturer.

patchday

So how does the pricing work? Do we need to buy the game to play if are already PS+ subscribers? I see it is only $49.99 in the PS store. Was planning to buy it anyway. But it would be nice if my friend could play the game for free with me

23qwerty

So how does the pricing work? Do we need to buy the game to play if are already PS+ subscribers? I see it is only $49.99 in the PS store. Was planning to buy it anyway. But it would be nice if my friend could play the game for free with me

PS+ subs will get the PS+ edition which comes with 11 tracks and 10 cars (I believe) and all game modes, so a friend with PS+ should be able to play with you even if they don't buy it.

le-seb

Quite simple:
- if you want to play the whole game, you have to pay for the upgrade
- if your friend doesn't, he has to wait for the PS+ edition of the game to be available to download

Given he'll be restricted to the PS+ edition content, you'll probably only be able to play together from/with that content.

Late Flag

Oh-you-show.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OK, so I just pre-ordered on PSN. Looks like it will auto download, that is super cool! I leave my PS4 on standby so I shouldn't have to do anything else right? Just leave it like that and then come back on Tuesday to play it? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm really not into games like I used to be and this is my first PS4 digital pre-order.

Also how do I get in with the GAF crew? I might wait and see if MLB-GAF or MGAF makes one. Can you be in more than one crew? I doubt it but doesn't hurt to ask.

Also I saw the season pass but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Any feedback there?

Thanks in advance for answering any questions and putting up with my game stupidity.

Apparently EA has the exclusive license to Porsche vehicles in video games. It just so happens Porsche took a hands off approach to this licensing deal.

Meaning if other companies want to have official Porsche cars in their game, the licensing agreement requires the company to get a sub-license through EA rather then get a separate license from Porsche directly.

And EA is rumored to be asking for a ton in order to sublicense Porsche from them. Which is why you really don't see it happening.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hey guys. What is the best vid on the net right now showing off Driveclubs visuals?

I want to show a friend of mine that thinks the graphics are on par with a PS3 game, but I refuse to show him a youtube video as it wont do the graphics any justice.

Pick and choose :)

GameSeeker

Hey guys. What is the best vid on the net right now showing off Driveclubs visuals?

I want to show a friend of mine that thinks the graphics are on par with a PS3 game, but I refuse to show him a youtube video as it wont do the graphics any justice.

Good move, YouTube video's of DriveClub look horrible. Download a video or two from Gamersyde. http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_driveclub-15909_en.html

I would suggest Norway for a starter:
http://www.gamersyde.com/download_driveclub_norway_downkill_aston_martin-33147_en.html

Korezo

Anyone else get a Target to break street date? Considering running over and trying, but it's never worked in the past. Would be sweet if Sony lifted it early.

I went to one and the sticker said its been there since 9/30 on the display but no copies were there, so I ask the one girl who was there to scan to see if they had any in stock and she said it shows 5 were availabe at hand but didn't even bother looking for them and just left... I'm a try again tomorrow.

OmegaDL50

And EA is rumored to be asking for a ton in order to sublicense Porsche from them. Which is why you really don't see it happening.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate situation. So many great racing cars in Porsche legacy could be seen in many games but it's likely to not happen because of one company having a stranglehold on the license, worse is when they do make games with said cars in it, it's the usual suspects rather then the rich history that Porsche has in it's automobile catalog. It ultimately comes across as potential being wasted.

Dammit, SolidSnakex, I almost didn't recognize it was you posting because of your avatar change.

So tonight, after an invite from Rushy, I attended a DC evening at Evo's studio in Runcorn.

To begin with we were given a presentation about "new" stuff, that being the weather and the photo mode. Weather is looking amazing, truly amazing. Everyone's in for a treat once it's released. The photo mode appears pretty comprehensive also. Lots of options for tweaking the photo including loads of filters.

We nearly got a look at a DLC track but for reasons I won't go into here, it didn't happen sadly.

So after the presentation, we were divided into 4 clubs and taken through to another room where we had a 90 minute competition between clubs, the winners of which all received the beautiful steelbook version of the game. Sadly my team did not win.

I should also point out there was a free and incredibly well stocked bar for the evening but as I was driving I couldn't take advantage.

Back in the room where the presentation had been a T300 wheel was brought in and a "Top Gear" style leaderboard was created with Rushy setting the time to beat (3:10) on one of the Canada tracks.

With 30 mins to go I was 3rd behind some other dude and Rushy. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the race-off between the top two (after Rushy). The race-off was the same track with full rain. Man, the wet tracks look fantastic. The reflections were particularly impressive. Anyway, the winner got a T80 wheel and steelbook with the runner up getting a steelbook.

After that competition I hung round and chatted with the few of the devs. Have to say, a real nice bunch of people. Incredibly approachable and happy to chat about stuff.

Ended up leaving about 23:15 with a copy of the DC soundtrack and a DC keyring.

The "Club Competition" room

The "Top Gear" Challenge

As for impressions of the game, I can only reiterate what others have said. Handling is great, graphics are beautiful and the challenges are really, really addictive. The social aspect of this game is going to be killer. It really is.

And any worries about "sterile" gameplay can be thoroughly dismissed; the racing was intense and action packed. The AI really gives it a good go. Any worries about rubber-banding can be put to rest too I think. I never thought it seemed unfair (like in the Motorstorms), it always felt like I was being fairly punished for my own mistakes.

Let me put it this way. I have a mate at SCEE who can get me this game for £20 but it won't be for a month. I've bought this on PSN tonight. I need this game next week.

On a final note, I have to thank Rushy for the invite. Really good night with a great bunch of people. I felt kinda sad leaving Evo tonight knowing I wouldn't get to meet any of the team again, that's how nice everyone was.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Show him this. It's youtube, but it does it justice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dezxMCVuSB0
He's beyond help if he'd still maintain it looks like PS3 game after watching this.

So tonight, after an invite from Rushy, I attended a DC evening at Evo's studio in Runcorn.

To begin with we were given a presentation about "new" stuff, that being the weather and the photo mode. Weather is looking amazing, truly amazing. Everyone's in for a treat once it's released. The photo mode appears pretty comprehensive also. Lots of options for tweaking the photo including loads of filters.

We nearly got a look at a DLC track but for reasons I won't go into here, it didn't happen sadly.

So after the presentation, we were divided into 4 clubs and taken through to another room where we had a 90 minute competition between clubs, the winners of which all received the beautiful steelbook version of the game. Sadly my team did not win.

I should also point out there was a free and incredibly well stocked bar for the evening but as I was driving I couldn't take advantage.

Back in the room where the presentation had been a T300 wheel was brought in and a "Top Gear" style leaderboard was created with Rushy setting the time to beat (3:10) on one of the Canada tracks.

With 30 mins to go I was 3rd behind some other dude and Rushy. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the race-off between the top two (after Rushy). The race-off was the same track with full rain. Man, the wet tracks look fantastic. The reflections were particularly impressive. Anyway, the winner got a T80 wheel and steelbook with the runner up getting a steelbook.

After that competition I hung round and chatted with the few of the devs. Have to say, a real nice bunch of people. Incredibly approachable and happy to chat about stuff.

As for impressions of the game, I can only reiterate what others have said. Handling is great, graphics are beautiful and the challenges are really, really addictive. The social aspect of this game is going to be killer. It really is.

And any worries about "sterile" gameplay can be thoroughly dismissed; the racing was intense and action packed. The AI really gives it a good go. Any worries about rubber-banding can be put to rest too I think. I never thought it seemed unfair (like in the Motorstorms), it always felt like I was being fairly punished for my own mistakes.

Let me put it this way. I have a mate at SCEE who can get me this game for £20 but it won't be for a month. I've bought this on PSN tonight. I need this game next week.

On a final note, I have to thank Rushy for the invite. Really good night with a great bunch of people. I felt kinda sad leaving Evo tonight knowing I wouldn't get to meet any of the team again, that's how nice everyone was.

I am so jealous.

viveks86

OK, so I just pre-ordered on PSN. Looks like it will auto download, that is super cool! I leave my PS4 on standby so I shouldn't have to do anything else right? Just leave it like that and then come back on Tuesday to play it?

Yes
Also how do I get in with the GAF crew? I might wait and see if MLB-GAF or MGAF makes one. Can you be in more than one crew? I doubt it but doesn't hurt to ask.

Go here

Also send a friend request to DRIVECLUB-GAF and add all of DRIVECLUB-GAF's friends. Increases your chances of running into others looking to team up

Also I saw the season pass but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Any feedback there?

You get all of this with a season pass. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you.

gl0w

The "Top Gear" Challenge

Thanks for you feedback. It's always nice to hear good impressions from people who play/saw the game in person.

Looks like you had a great time in there :)

dannethmps

Neo Member
Massive thanks to Rushy for tonight and being able to try the game, you won't be disappointed GAF it's stunning in every way...

The_Monk

Great impressions.

Thank you for this! Is it possible to see a photo of the DC Soundtrack (and keyring) please? Most curious for the Soundtrack as I like to collect some Physical soundtracks, is it like the photo we got a long time ago around here? It's a shame I haven't seen more info about the possibility of the release of it...

Even when I talked with Ben Gouldstone from Evolution studios this past Thursday during that closed doors event, he mentioned how much he loves the soundtrack while I said that the best soundtrack to me it's still the engine screaming for the next gear, hehe!

hydruxo

I went to one and the sticker said its been there since 9/30 on the display but no copies were there, so I ask the one girl who was there to scan to see if they had any in stock and she said it shows 5 were availabe at hand but didn't even bother looking for them and just left... I'm a try again tomorrow.

Employee of the year. Seriously who hires these people.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5599/15254836020_a48a12b2fb_c.jpg[/img/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pweyZZ][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3929/15438348011_d11ba0c44c_c.jpg[/img[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pf2x6f][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3928/15254936308_ceba56a57e_c.jpg[/img[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pwvZ3v][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15441550685_b0454c93aa_c.jpg[/img[/url]

The "Top Gear" Challenge
[url=https://flic.kr/p/pwuakf][img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2941/15441195072_38a66f3f42_c.jpg

Cool stuff! Must have been great. Nice to see the devs so open. I love how they really try to connect to the gamers. Rushy being a prime example.
Much appreciated!

Thank you for this! Is it possible to see a photo of the DC Soundtrack (and keyring) please? Most curious for the Soundtrack as I like to collect some Physical soundtracks, is it like the photo we got a long time ago around here? It's a shame I haven't seen more info about the possibility of the release of it...

Even when I talked with Ben Gouldstone from Evolution studios this past Thursday during that closed doors event, he mentioned how much he loves the soundtrack while I said that the best soundtrack to me it's still the engine screaming for the next gear, hehe!

Loxley

I picked up a PS4 today and where it not for the fact that the console + Shadow of Mordor emptied my wallet I would definitely be picking this up on Tuesday. Oh well, looking forward to hearing some more impressions.

Gaz_RB

Only 5 original songs in the OST is really disappointing remixes and remixes of the same time when we play...

Yeah seems like the soundtrack is pretty weak. I imagine I'll get bored with it pretty quickly, which is why I wish we had custom soundtracks on PS4.

Yeah seems like the soundtrack is pretty weak. I imagine I'll get bored with it pretty quickly, which is why I wish we had custom soundtracks on PS4.

Those are just the songs by Hybrid. The soundtracks features songs that aren't by them. I know that Youtopia by Armin van Buuren is on the soundtrack.

viveks86

Those are just the songs by Hybrid. The soundtracks features songs that aren't by them. I know that Youtopia by Armin van Buuren is on the soundtrack.

This. Those soundtracks are the ones made specifically for the game. It seems there are other licensed soundtracks as well.

Guymelef

No, Youtopia was simply a song that a Spanish guy used in his video with the "polemic" broll footage and some Youtube user asumed that it was part of the OST...

For the OST we had this quote.
There’s enough soundtrack for a double CD, all-new, original music by Welsh electro-dance group Hybrid. And that soundtrack has been remixed by contemporary heavy-hitters like DJ Shadow and Noisia.

There's been a sprinkle of impressions throughout this thread so far. Critic reviews will most likely have it's own thread come Tuesday morning. I'm ready.

The review thread for this game is going to be a god damn bloodbath, regardless of how the reviews turn out. I feel it in my heart.

Many will be banned...some will die. Those who survive will be forever changed. Such as it is with Driveclub threads.

viveks86

No, Youtopia was simply a song that a Spanish guy used in his video with the "polemic" broll footage and some Youtube user asumed that it was part of the OST...

For the OST we had this quote.

Oh. What about all the in-game menu music? Are those hybrid too? They sounded different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom