• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

I can't remember exactly but I think all of my screeching crashes have happened after crashing into XP boards or doing a 22k skill chain etc, it seems to fall over completely. I only have Forza Horizon 2 installed and it's a brand new Xbox One which is slightly worrying.

First time posting questions in thread.

I iust started this game today and made it to third city. Tried online too with a fee of the regulars here but I had no idea what was going on. Then suddenly there were other groups involved and two guys were talking shit.

I guess my questions are:

1. Any advice early on in game? I have 600k credits and do not know where to start aside from going vity to city to beat championships

2. What is incentive is there to go online with a team , say like Gaf?

1. While for some people credits come easily (VIP with double rewards, people with high Forza Reward tiers) I prefer to not spend my credits all on one big car until I've had a chance to buy a car for a bunch of the different championships. I select a new Championship series each time so even if I got a car for free that's eligible I'll check the auto shop just to make sure there's not something I might want more. It's nice to have a large amount of credits stored up so you don't get to a championship and not have enough credits to purchase an ideal car.

As for progress it's really just up to you. The "story" is purely those championships. If you want to move it along you do just follow the road trip as you go to each region and pick a new championship (or do the same championship in a new region, that works too). Otherwise there's other stuff you can do if you want: Explore to find the hidden XP and travel boards, do the bucket list challenges, and that's mostly it for side missions? You can work on achievement and leaderboard stuff by driving on every road, going through speed cameras, eventually you can take pictures of every car, etc.

2. You get a bonus to XP for being in a club when you play online. As for joining as a team I guess the incentive would be to simply play with people you know instead of randoms?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I found the best thing to do is either hope to get in front so you are not in the crash fest that is the middle positions, or stay back and let them all crash into each other for the first hard turn and then pull ahead of them. Sometimes neither work, but most of the time you can avoid the crash fest.

Are there any hoppers online, or races with collisions off? That's pretty much all I can do on forza 5 with ransoms, too many people just spinning you off the road by hitting your rear or just slamming into you. Haven't even started MP on horizon yet for that reason.

ShamePain

Banned
Just did the final horizon race and skyrocketed to 8th place in ForzaGAF club haha. The story is finished but the game is only starting.

Jube3

I missed out on getting Tier 1 before the reset because of this livery but I am glad its done. Feels good to have at least one paint done. It is currently up for share on the Supra, the Ram Runner (Mega Ram), the Ford Transit Van (Mega Van lol) and the Bugatti Veyron. Now time to get back to tier 2!

15453100181_0827811ab9_h.jpg

Scooby

I missed out on getting Tier 1 before the reset because of this livery but I am glad its done. Feels good to have at least one paint done. It is currently up for share on the Supra, the Ram Runner (Mega Ram), the Ford Transit Van (Mega Van lol) and the Bugatti Veyron. Now time to get back to tier 2!

are you a wizard?

tuna_love

Banned

Looks amazing. I'll be your best friend if you put it on a hurican;)

Amazing!

Applause.gif

Built my childhood dream car. Nissan silvia s13 club k's with gtr driveline and rb26dett motor. It looks stock as...black, no spoiler and black te-37's

GlamFM

Banned
Played something like 6 hours over the weekend.

Love it, but I preferred the first one - a lot actually.

-Where is the festival vibe?
-Why do wristbands not matter anymore?
-Where is the "story" gone, where are the cutscenes?
-Why is the "campaign" set up in a way that the car I´m in doesn´t matter anymore?
-Why do I never have to tune/updrade my car?

I´m also not sure if I actually like the map - sure it looks amazing, but the first game seemed like a more focussed thing.

A music festival in the middle of nowhere - nice. Horizon 2 doesn´t capture that at all.

Also while the game sure looks great and has a stable framerate I´ve also noticed a lot of pop up, fade in and weird shadow issues.

During my time with the game I have experienced 7 freezes/crashes.

Still love it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It does also seem pretty easy on default settings. Haven't lost a race yet (but still have 4 championships to get to the finale). Only the hard bucket lists are actually hard.

jem0208

It does also seem pretty easy on default settings. Haven't lost a race yet (but still have 4 championships to get to the finale). Only the hard bucket lists are actually hard.
I'm playing all assists off with unbeatable drivatars and haven't lost a championship. It does mean that coming first in a race is a serious challenge though. Most of my championships come down to the very last race which makes it a lot more fun. I tend to leave what looks like the most epic race to last to make it even better.

Played something like 6 hours over the weekend.

Love it, but I preferred the first one - a lot actually.

-Why is the "campaign" set up in a way that the car I´m in doesn´t matter anymore?

I´m also not sure if I actually like the map - sure it looks amazing, but the first game seemed like a more focussed thing.

A music festival in the middle of nowhere - nice. Horizon 2 doesn´t capture that at all.

Also while the game sure looks great and has a stable framerate I´ve also noticed a lot of pop up, fade in and weird shadow issues.

During my time with the game I have experienced 7 freezes/crashes.

Still love it.

If you dont need to upgrade, maybe increase the difficulty or remove some assists?

The festival vibe is DEFN there for me, particularly the music and the point to point drives between cities. I really dig it.

I was exclusively listening to Hospital Records radio...or whatever it's called, but now I listen to the classical station only. I don't know why it goes so well with the game, but it just does.

The first thing I do when I buy/acquire a new car is upgrade it to the max.

Apart from the Ultima GT, I didn't feel like that needed anything done to it. What a crazy, crazy car.

Septic360

Banned

Seriously, like the chap above asked, are you a wizard? Absolutely incredible.

I've joined the GAF car club but is there a way to disable challenge notifications from the GAF club. For instance, before I joined the club, it would compare how many roads I've driven/xp boards smashed with my mates.

Now some clever sod on the GAF club has blatantly hacked the stats and all I get :
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 999999999,99999999.

Its really annoying.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

I love this. Thank you for being amazing.

I agree with this.

Loving the game apart from this aspect. It's really quite silly considering the amount of other classes that would be more suited to these types of races.

I hope they release some DLC with some proper GT events that are focused on being on the road and staying on the road.

The game should punish you for going off road in events where you shouldn't but it doesn't at all. It should be a skill based game but it stops being one when you see people cut half a corner to reach a checkpoint on a road race.
Not Dlc this needs to be patched into the current game.

I like the cross country for free roam, but want my races on the road. Unless there's specific races set-up for rally/off-road cars.

strata8

I think you're one of the very few people who isn't happy that the festival vibe/story was toned down.

The other things though... those are what I've been worried about. Horizon 1 had fixed events with car type and spec requirements... Horizon 2 in comparison allows you to choose the type of car and the spec level you want. No need to buy a brand new car or upgrade an older one anymore unless you want to, and that's a bit of a shame.

Same with the wristband thing. You'd reach the next wristband and all suddenly these new exciting events would appear on the map. It gave a nice sense of progression, and it's been gutted.

I'm almost certain it makes up for it in other areas, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see. Horizon 2 addressed a lot of the complaints of the first game, but they also removed a bunch of stuff in the process. Maybe Horizon 3 - if there is one - can better combine the strengths of both games.

AFAIK that wouldn´t change a thing because your enemies are automatically leveled against you - no?

They do scale if you go from A to S1 or whatever..but im saying if he thinks the game is easy and has no need to upgrade, maybe he should bump the drivatar difficulty up in general?

No need to buy a brand new car or upgrade an older one anymore unless you want to, and that's a bit of a shame.

Can't agree with this, there have been a few events that have taken a upgrade or two so that I can place first, on the higher drivatar difficulties at least.

JimiNutz

Banned

Stuff like this is absolutely awe inspiring.
You should be doing something involving art or graphic design for a profession.

GlamFM

Banned
They do scale if you go from A to S1 or whatever..but im saying if he thinks the game is easy and has no need to upgrade, maybe he should bump the drivatar difficulty up in general?

It´s not the challenge I´m after. I actually like upgrading.

I want to have to sit in the garage and think about what upgrades to buy to hit the needed car level.

Unfortunately this is gone in Horizon 2.

Dabanton

I've joined the GAF car club but is there a way to disable challenge notifications from the GAF club. For instance, before I joined the club, it would compare how many roads I've driven/xp boards smashed with my mates.

Now some clever sod on the GAF club has blatantly hacked the stats and all I get :

Its really annoying.

Yeah I've started to get that after I joined the Gaf club as well.

Are we sure it's someone who's hacked or just a bug?

Seriously, like the chap above asked, are you a wizard? Absolutely incredible.

Its really annoying.

I have the exact same shit!

Edit: I was late:
It's a game issue, we're on it!

So noone appears to have had any game freezes for the past four/five hours or so, that's good :)
Thanks!

strata8

UK sales numbers are in.

51,500-70,500 in the first 2 days.

By comparison the original did 32,000-72,000 in the first 5 days.

edit: From the PAL Charts thread obv

Megasoum

Banned
Add me to the list of people who prefered FH1 campaign structure. I feel like I'm just doing random events with no real progression in fh2.

Septic360

Banned
It's a game issue, we're on it!

So noone appears to have had any game freezes for the past four/five hours or so, that's good :)

Ah cheers for that. Can I kindly request an option to filter out people from the club for those stats? I mean, I hardly know anyone on GAF (me being a lowly junior and all) and it's just far more interesting comparing stats with friends.

This is the best racing game I've ever played. It's like they built on pgr4 and made it better. It's clear the people who made this game focused on making it a fun experience rather than worrying about 6000 cars or stats.

The graphics, sound and gameplay are all just incredible.

First game this gen I'd give a 10.

Lego Boss

Stupid question, but something that bugs me about our brave new, connected world:

How does opponent AI work if you're not online? Do you need to be connected to the Internet for drivatars?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
UK sales numbers are in.

51,500-70,500 in the first 2 days.

By comparison the original did 32,000-72,000 in the first 5 days.

edit: From the PAL Charts thread obv

that's amazing numbers I guess. When you consider last one came out on a platform with much bigger user base. This game did a lot better and it should have because Playground studios have done a great job, well deserving.

Anion

This is the best racing game I've ever played. It's like they built on pgr4 and made it better. It's clear the people who made this game focused on making it a fun experience rather than worrying about 6000 cars or stats.

Haha, I keep telling myself that this is only the beginning of the x1's cycle. It should just get better and better from here :)

strata8

Those are just retail sales and don't count digital right? Just quite a good chunk of our sales would have been digital.

Yeah, I think so.

Personally I think they're fantastic numbers considering how much smaller the install base for XB1 is today compared to the 360's in 2012.

As someone who put thousands of hours into the PGR games, with most of it spent on PGR4, I don't get it when people say this. I haven't once been reminded of PGR, or felt like I was playing a spiritual successor to PGR at any time. Even during the city races.

That's not a criticism, mind you. I absolutely love this game for what it is. I'm just saying that I don't get a PGR vibe from it.

As someone who put thousands of hours into the PGR games, with most of it spent on PGR4, I don't get it when people say this. I haven't once been reminded of PGR, or felt like I was playing a spiritual successor to PGR at any time. Even during the city races.

That's not a criticism, mind you. I absolutely love this game for what it is. I'm just saying that I don't get a PGR vibe from it.
I did. I liked pgr4 because it had fewer cars that I actually wanted to drive, the kudos system, interesting city tracks rather than just race circuits and the gameplay was just fun.

I really found the GT games very boring by comparison.

I found the presentation similar as well.

Top Bottom