• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

derFeef

Changed my Xbox One region to New Zealand and nothing's happened. Just says to buy it again instead of the "play it on 07/10/14" it usually has.

1. You actually have to buy it in that region.
2. The game needs to actually unlock earlier in that region, which is usually not the case - just UK(Europe)/NA in most cases.

Mask

1. You actually have to buy it in that region.
2. The game needs to actually unlock earlier in that region, which is usually not the case - just UK(Europe)/NA in most cases.

Well, damn. I got mine from the India store, so at least it unlocks a few hours earlier than the UK version, even if the New Zealand trick doesn't work.

seph1roth

If you have any other questions I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Now that you finished the game...is the level design good? it's very linear or it has some backtracking, puzzles, find cards to open previous door etc?

Metroid style, System Shock etc are my favourite kind of games.

Godan

Everything. Like all the PC performance graphs all over this thread or even the dedicated PC performance thread for this game? :)

Didnt think their would have been a performance thread for this and I checked the last few pages n didnt really seem much for it.

As for the graphs I doubt I can see them when I am in work as most things are blocked in here.

Will have a look at the PC performance thread for it just now.

noomi

Was pretty excited for this, but after the review tearing it apart.... meh. Not really interested anymore... why is it for fucking hard to make a decent Alien game... time after time after time... always poo...

Will wait for some players reviews and see how it goes... if it ever drops to a cheap price (steam sale!) I might be inclined to pick it up then... we shall see...

S1kkZ

Was pretty excited for this, but after the review tearing it apart.... meh. Not really interested anymore... why is it for fucking hard to make a decent Alien game... time after time after time... always poo...

Will wait for some players reviews and see how it goes... if it ever drops to a cheap price (steam sale!) I might be inclined to pick it up then... we shall see...

are you fucking serious?

bidguy

Banned
Well, damn. I got mine from the India store, so at least it unlocks a few hours earlier than the UK version, even if the New Zealand trick doesn't work.

yeah i bought it from hk store just because of this

should unlock in 4 1/2 hours if im lucky

Blinck

The game got many excellent reviews.
In fact, if you read the reviews, you will see that if you really like Alien you should probably get this game.

Most of the bad reviews complain about the lack of hand holding and the game being too long.
If you want hand-holding and a short game then maybe yes, you should give it a pass.

Mugatu

I don't know if the game will be good or not until I play it but seriously? One bad review and you completely write it off?

What review? There are tons of reviews praising it, including the likes of respected sites (imo) like Eurogamer, Videogamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Started on Hard - was hoping it would be tense and engaging like TLOU was on that difficulty - and finding it immensely frustrating.

Only a few hours in but I'd say half of my time has been progress, half of my time has been replaying the same sections over and over.

It's not enough to put me off the game yet - there have been too many positives for that to happen, I think - but I'm really thinking I should have started on Normal.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Did you know almost all games have a shit review that tear it apart, but still it is your lost
But here we go with reviews tearing it apart.
The Guardian - 5/5
PC Gamer - 93/100
Gamefront - 92
GamesTM - 9/10
Gameradar - 9
Gamereactor Sweden - 9
Multiplayer - 9
Everyeye - 9
Eurogamer ITA - 9
GamesVillage - 9
Videogamer - 9/10
TheSixthAxis - 9/10
OXM - 9
God is Geek - 9
Play Uk - 9
The Escapist - 4.5/5
3d Juegos - 8.5
[NoSpamPlease] - 8.5
Destructoid - 8.5/10
VentureBeat - 83/100
[NoSpamPlease] - 4/5
IGN ITA - 8
Digital Spy - 8
Kotaku - Yes
Eurogamer - 8/10
Shacknews - 8
VandalOnline - 8
Joystiq - 4/5
CVG - 8/10
Game Informer - 7.75
Gametrailers - 7.4/10
Gamepro.de - 73/100
Gamestar - 73
GameZone - 7
Metro - 7/10
Meristation - 7
Polgyon - 6.5/10
Gryonline - 6.5
Gamespot - 6/10
IGN - 5.9
Yeah exactly, but I High lighted the only reviews that matter to some people it seems as they ignore 96% of them and yeah they are tearing it apart.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Its pretty much a good / bad - 50 / 50 split from what I saw.

Really? It seems like there are at most 10 negative reviews out of 40 or something that are positive.

Some of you people are being really hyperbolic with this game.

Ishan

I never thought I would see the day when an ign review would bring up the tail end of reviews online .... (apart from an obviously 2/10 game etc)

There are 11 professional reviews currently on Metacritic with the PS4 scoring an average of 79% and the lowest score being from IGN, who gave it 59%. Bearing in mind that 50% is an average score and anything below that is...well...below average then I'm puzzled as to why anyone would think the game is "bad" or "poor"!!!

I blame IGN myself who at one time gave the impression that any game that scored less than 70% was below average, which is ridiculous really when you think about it!

Ishan

There are 11 professional reviews currently on Metacritic with the PS4 scoring an average of 79% and the lowest score being from IGN, who gave it 59%. Bearing in mind that 50% is an average score and anything below that is...well...below average then I'm puzzled as to why anyone would think the game is "bad" or "poor"!!!

I blame IGN myself who at one time gave the impression that any game that scored less than 70% was below average, which is ridiculous really when you think about it!

grading system. in academics. as complicated and as top ended etc etc. but again with academics if you talk about the really hard tests (Olympiads/national exams in various countries) a 50% put you down as very good etc etc. So depends on the site. But yeah I was surprised myself at that 5.9 given how well its been scoring otherwise as I said didn't think I would see the day ign was the lowest score on a game.

Godan

I have stopped looking at what IGN say about games now.

How they can consistently give any Call Of Duty game a good review is beyond me.

Vasili2K38

As a fan of the Alien movies, and also fan of terror and stealth games, I think its very fitting that my first game that I've preordered in Steam in a long time is Alien Isolation.

Faith

Here :
http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/alien-isolation-test-gpu.html

Keep in mind : they only tested one area of the game. Results may vary depending on what map is being benchmarked, for all we know maybe there are significantly more taxing areas.
2pvpfzn9.jpg

Wait what? You get around 300fps with 780Ti SLI on max. in 1080p? 10 times more than on a PS4?

iMax

I have stopped looking at what IGN say about games now.

How they can consistently give any Call Of Duty game a good review is beyond me.

Call of Duty games are good, so I can understand that. But I get the impression Ryan was reviewing it with his COD hat on, perhaps expecting the game to be something it's really not trying to be, at least that's what I drew from his criticisms.

Jobbs

Banned
Those sites are the only ones that matter with journalists I trust. Who has even heard of the rest of them?

you only trust IGN, gamespot, and.. polygon?

not sure if you're serious, but IGN and Polygon I generally put absolutely no credence in. Gamespot is okay if it's Vanord, which it was, but I dove into the text (imagine that) and the type of things he (and other negative reviewers) didn't like about the game are generally things that I don't mind. I like games to be a little bit hardcore, honestly.

Meanwhile, many other reviewers, including fellow Alien fan Jim Sterling, all gave the game very high marks. So I'm all in.

Kezen

Banned
2pvpfzn9.jpg

Wait what? You get around 300fps with 780Ti SLI on max. in 1080p? 10 times more than on a PS4?

Again we need to be a bit careful with those results. I hope they're not dumb enough to benchmark while looking at the ground.
PCgameshardware.de reported amazing performance as well, that lends credence to the game being light on PCs while looking very good.

EDIT : Right, this is the sequence used for benchmarking.
We need more samples.

you only trust IGN, gamespot, and.. polygon?

not sure if you're serious, but IGN and Polygon I generally put absolutely no credence in. Gamespot is okay if it's Vanord, which it was, but I dove into the text (imagine that) and the type of things he (and other negative reviewers) didn't like about the game are generally things that I don't mind. I like games to be a little bit hardcore, honestly.

Meanwhile, many other reviewers, including fellow Alien fan Jim Sterling, all gave the game very high marks. So I'm all in.
It was more about so many in this thread and elsewhere seemingly only caring about the 2 or 3 "low" scores. Despite all of the flak IGN gets in every other circumstance.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Those sites are the only ones that matter with journalists I trust. Who has even heard of the rest of them?
So Game informer, CVG, Destructoid, Gamereactor, Joystiq and Eurogamer you've never heard of and don't trust but....
IVODO.gif

Kane & lynch Gamespot and Polygon you do?

Top Bottom