• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Performance Thread

How CPU dependant is the game?

I've got a stock 4670. Is 60 feasible or should I aim for 30? I'd be happy to fluctuate 30-50 normally but if G-sync isn't working that could be horrid. I guess I could try to do Nvidia downsampling, or does that also not work?

I played through Chapter 1 with a 560Ti 448 Core w/ 1GB vram. The game ran perfectly fine at 30fps in 1920x1080, high shadows, ssao enabled with smaa anti-aliasing. The first chapter takes place in tight spaces, so maybe the game will run worse later on but it'll probably be fine.

The only thing I noticed was distracting texture streaming. Every time the camera shifts in a cutscene all the textures look like mud for about .5 seconds.

Basically, it's further confirmation you do not need anything close to 4GB of vram.

edit: Also have i5 2500k, an ssd and 8GB of ram. Everything is at stock settings.

I've done some testing and found zero mouse acceleration, are you sure about this? Hopefully it's not some situation where its different on different setups.

I think I fixed it, it was an issue with changing the aspect ratio (for me). It's better now, after rebooting the game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I cant quite put my finger on it but it feels as if the post processing and fog effects might be getting altered slightly by the 60+ fps.....when i turned it down to 30 it seemed like there was more effects being layered on the screen. Not certain though, just felt that way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
A bit strange they havn't been talking about the PC version for this game... less than a month from release.

And its the best version and eradicates half the problems reviewers had with the game. Makes no goddamn sense. Plus the whole 4gb vram thing making absolutely no sense. Game is capping itself around 1.5gb

edit; well your post still kinda made sense for this game too.

Playing in the first big open area I've gotten to, everything is running great and controlling great. I really love how well done the controls and menu are for m/kb. Everything just works as it should, they seem to have really tested them instead of requiring esoteric button combinations for one-off things they just let you use the regular buttons to confirm or cancel. And the mouse cursor works great in cursor based menus like the inventory or save screen. The actual aiming cursor has consistent response across different speeds and feels great as a result, not that I would expect bad mouse code in an idTech game.

Zero problems at 60fps also so far. Really shaping up to be a solid version of the game.

I cant quite put my finger on it but it feels as if the post processing and fog effects might be getting altered slightly by the 60+ fps.....when i turned it down to 30 it seemed like there was more effects being layered on the screen. Not certain though, just felt that way.

I feel like I'm having frame pacing issues. Fraps is reporting 60 fps 95+ percent of the time, but it feels stuttery still. This was very apparent on chapter 2. I had told the game to only run on a single GPU, but maybe I have to go a step further and disable SLI.

Chapter 2 was pretty awesome actually. Liking it so far very much.

Hawk269

I always turn of film grain and anything to do with blur.

Same for me, I cannot stand film grain or motion blur. In some games, I tolerate motion blur, but more times than not, I usually turn it off. Film Grain just does not do it for me at all.

Sanctuary

From reading this thread, I'm really glad that all of the 980s were selling for $600 - $700 and that I just decided to get a PS4 early instead of upgrading from my current 780 that has yet to get a real workout. When the game unlocks though (US), I'm not going to bother unlocking the framerate for the first playthrough, max the graphics and see how it feels. If I don't come across any inherent issues, I'll replay it at 60.

I'll probably turn off film grain too though. Couldn't stand it in Mass Effect.

GavinUK86

okay so an i7 2600k, 8gb ram and a gtx660 runs this on max settings at 1080/30 flawlessly. that's good news. if i unlock the frame rate it can jump from 30 to 75. that 4gb recommendation was definitely overkill.

good news for older systems.

removing the black bars is bullshit though. it doesn't remove them just crops the entire image.

anyway, i'm pretty happy considering it feels good at 1080/30 to me. i'm pretty sensitive to frame rates under 60fps but for some reason i don't mind it here. i think my perception, with the black bars hiding a lot of the image, is different. it seems to soften the smoothness of everything to me.

that fov can get a little crazy if you push it. anyone want uber cinematic?

zQsDmKO.png

cripterion

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS

THANK YOU

Lol I get the enthusiasm but you thank them for something that should be perfectly normal and is expected for pc games?
Anyways, going to get the game today, another long download for me! ( I swear everything feels like 40+ gigs nowadays)

legacyzero

Banned
okay so an i7 2600k, 8gb ram and a gtx660 runs this on max settings at 1080/30 flawlessly. that's good news. if i unlock the frame rate it can jump from 30 to 75. that 4gb recommendation was definitely overkill.

good news for older systems.

removing the black bars is bullshit though. it doesn't remove them just crops the entire image.

anyway, i'm pretty happy considering it feels good at 1080/30 to me. i'm pretty sensitive to frame rates under 60fps but for some reason i don't mind it here. i think my perception, with the black bars hiding a lot of the image, is different. it seems to soften the smoothness of everything to me.

that fov can get a little crazy if you push it. anyone want uber cinematic?
Holy shit. Why would they do that?

Mupod

Removed my second 970 since I wasn't using it in this game and it's going to my brother soon anyways, haven't got any hard locks since then. Nobody else getting crashes? The one I got, it froze up and had some brief sound stuttering, had to reset my whole PC.

Game runs great downsampled from 1440p +SMAA. No reason to go higher or lower since I seem to sit at 50-60fps like this. Also feels good with a gamepad, I'm so used to playing this kind of game like that I don't really wanna use a mouse.

LegendX48

So, the game runs well on AMD gpu's I take it? Got a 7950 3gb card myself. Also, anyone know if the game can be played with a dualshock 4?

TnK

If I have an i7 960 @4.2 GHz, GTX 580 SLI, and 12 GBs of ram, can I expect the game to run at a constant 60FPS with everything maxed out?

Also, how is the game with the FPS unlocked? Any issues or is it running fine?

Top Bottom