• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome PC Performance thread

The Cowboy

So why am I getting drops to 30 FPS when enabling vsync?
In game vsync is double buffered, any drops under 60 will plummet to 30. You need to use either adaptive vsync or force borderless windows mode and get triple buffering that way.

Add "r_FullscreenWindow 1" to an autoexec.cfg or the system.cfg and select window mode to run in borderless mode.

blaidd

Banned
To anybody experiencing weird framedrops and stuttering with a Intel Core i7: We found out that the Hyperthreading-bug from Crysis 3 is back with a vengeance. It seems like Crytek only fixed that in Crysis 3, not in their Cryengine. So you might want to disable that.

AlfeG

So anyone found a way to turn off vibration yet? I am planning to hook my PC to my TV to enjoy game in full glory, but controller vibration cant be turned off is a bummer. How can Crytek miss such basic option? I hate controller vibration since PS1 days, and in this game it vibrates on every damn button press. So annoying.
LLShC.gif

Use DS4 joy, and disable vibration in DS4Tool (or whatever app You will use for DS4 connection)

Denton

In game vsync is double buffered, any drops under 60 will plummet to 30. You need to use either adaptive vsync or force borderless windows mode and get triple buffering that way.

Add "r_FullscreenWindow 1" to an autoexec.cfg or the system.cfg and select window mode to run in borderless mode.

Could you please elaborate ? On the bold ? Where do you select it?

I really hate how busted the double buffered VSync is in games. Watch Dogs was unplayable until I selected borderless windowed. AC4 was unplayable until I forced triple buffering via D3D Overrider.
Note that when I say "unplayable", I mean for me who needs 60fps. If I could live with 30 I would just get a console.
Why is it so hard for developers to implement triple buffered vsync ? It is the best (only, really) option until gsync/freesync is widespread (and that will be who knows when for me, since I do not plan on replacing my 55" plasma any time soon).

Denton

Start up the game and select the gear icon (settings), under graphics select off for the fullscreen setting.

Hmm, I created Autoexec.cfg in the base Ryse folder, inserted into it:

r_fullscreenwindow=1

and turned off fullscreen in the menu...and the game still has border at the top :/

Buburibon

To anybody experiencing weird framedrops and stuttering with a Intel Core i7: We found out that the Hyperthreading-bug from Crysis 3 is back with a vengeance. It seems like Crytek only fixed that in Crysis 3, not in their Cryengine. So you might want to disable that.

I see, so it is indeed a bug after all. I've tested it on two different machines with 4 and 6-core i7's, and can definitely confirm it. Thanks!

The Cowboy

Hmm, I created Autoexec.cfg in the base Ryse folder, inserted into it:

r_fullscreenwindow=1

and turned off fullscreen in the menu...and the game still has border at the top :/
I had the same issue with using the autoexe.cfg (for some reason it doesn't work for some), as such i put the same command into the system.cfg (that's why in mentioned it in the initial post) and after restarting the game and it worked - you should know it has if the initial small window at start-up has no border.

The system.cfg should look something like this.
; Ryse

sys_game_folder=GameRyse
sys_dll_game=CryGameRyse.dll
sys_user_folder=GameRyse
sys_localization_folder=Localization
r_fullscreenwindow=1

;RSC servers 8core5 and build11

log_IncludeTime=1
sys_languages="english,italian,french,spanish,german,russian"

log_verbosity=0

Well, I hope that crytek fix that...

Hey, just thought some people might find this interesting. I tried this out using gamestreaming on my Shield tablet over the weekend when I was some 350 miles away from home, and it was completely playable. Significantly more playable than Vita remote play.

Schnozberry

That would explain my problem. How do you disable HT?

blaidd

Banned

You're gonna need to go to your BIOS/UEFI for that. It should be under Advanced/CPU-Features or something like that (that depends on the brand/version of you BIOS and Mainboard but it should be something similar). You should quite easyly find it somewhere around there.

Schnozberry

You're gonna need to go to your BIOS/UEFI for that. It should be under Advanced/CPU-Features or something like that (that depends on the brand/version of you BIOS and Mainboard but it should be something similar). You should quite easyly find it somewhere around there.

Oh ok. I thought it was something I could do in through the game engine.

Denton

I had the same issue with using the autoexe.cfg (for some reason it doesn't work for some), as such i put the same command into the system.cfg (that's why in mentioned it in the initial post) and after restarting the game and it worked - you should know it has if the initial small window at start-up has no border.

The system.cfg should look something like this.

Brilliant, this fixed it. I actually tried system.cfg too, but I put it under log verbosity and it did not work. But putting it under sys localization does work.

It is insane how much better the game runs now. I have it in 1080p, everything maxed and it plays great, where in fullscreen it was unplayable. Exactly same case as with Watch Dogs.

does SLI work with Ryse?

There are no official SLI or crossfire profiles yet. People have had reasonable success using various profiles (Sleeping dogs for SLI seems to be a good option, AFR for crossfire).

Side node: For those who ARE using SLI / crossfire, you can get temporal AA working by adding "r_MultiGPU_TemporalAAMode = 1" to your system.cfg (gets rid of the flickering)

Running a 3930k, no stuttering to be found with me.

MaLDo

Before you edit your BIOS, you can try using START process to force affinity to odd threads.

Make a new file in the ryse executable folder with that line:

START /D "insert your Ryse path here" /AFFINITY 55 ryse.exe

and rename it as LaunchRyse.bat

KKRT00

Before you edit your BIOS, you can try using START process to force affinity to odd threads.

Make a new file in the ryse executable folder with that line:

START /D "insert your Ryse path here" /AFFINITY 55 ryse.exe

and rename it as LaunchRyse.bat

Maldo do You have any plans to work on unlocking commands for Ryse?

MaLDo

Maldo do You have any plans to work on unlocking commands for Ryse?

Don't have the game yet. Btw, crytek locked in the last Crysis 3 patch the workaround I used to unlock cvars. I will be surprised if Ryse allow some unlocks.

Denton

Fucking crytek games and triple buffering not working.

Borderless Windowed, we were talking about it upthread. Solved my issues with framedrops and tearing. Just like in Watch Dogs. All games must have this option if devs cannot do triple buffering properly.

NicoLeNano

Neo Member
Before buying a steam key for this game. Can you tell me if my pc is strong enough to ryse on the roman empire ??

i5 2,8 Ghz
GTX 560 Ti
4 Go DDR

SpyGuy239

i7 860 factory, and GTX 780 3Gb vram, 8Gb RAM

Max Settings at 1080p supersampled at x1.5; no vsync

Stable fps at 30

Game is awesome. So glad crytek decided to port it over to PC!

lmbotiva

30 fps on this game feels so smooth im embarrassed to even say it lol, usually PC games at 30 frames look and feel horrible, all the time i lower settings just to achieve 60 fps but for some reason 30 on this game is great, lol, wtf is going on with me?

jett

D-Member
This game looks outstanding, runs somewhere between 50~60fps on my 4670k+280X. I'm really impressed by the post-AA solution they got, I can't really tell the difference on my TV when using their supersampling option, other than my framerate getting sliced in half :p Only problem I got is that the framerate randomly drops when I pan the camera around sometimes. When I stop moving it though, it jumps back to 60. Wat.

Gibbo

Using a R290 x. Game runs 60fps for me at 1080p on max settings other than times where theres fire or ezplosions.

Denton

30 fps on this game feels so smooth im embarrassed to even say it lol, usually PC games at 30 frames look and feel horrible, all the time i lower settings just to achieve 60 fps but for some reason 30 on this game is great, lol, wtf is going on with me?

Really weird. When I lock the framerate to 30 and then unlock it to 60 the difference is night and day just like with any other console or PC game, on my TV at least. During camera panning especially. One is completely smooth, objects are moving continuously, the other is just nasty, objects are skipping and not smooth.

ss_lemonade

Crytek games always looked good and smooth even at lower framerates. Must be the motion blur

SoundLad

That's curious. I'm running a similar config (i5 2500k at 4.5 GHz, GTX 780ti at 1124 MHz, and everything maxed except SS) and I'm getting lots of dips into the 40s (especially in the forest level). I'm running the game in borderless window mode, btw. Are you running in full screen with vsync off?

Sorry for the late reply, running Fullscreen. The forest level is quite intensive and there may have been some dips but not as low as 40s as far as my eyes could tell.

-SD-

Banned
http://steamcommunity.com/games/Ryse/announcements/detail/237889272610919493
Patch #153 is now out, plus new NVIDIA Drivers and SLI Support

Hey all,

we have just released a new patch for Ryse that can now be downloaded from Steam. Highlights for this release are the ability to turn of the HUD (we can't wait to see your screenshots in the Community Hub) as well as Controller Rumble (this change being directly based on community feedback).

We have also made further improvements to performance and stability, as you can see from our full Release Notes:

• SLI/Crossfire optimization & quality improvements
  • Improved GPU performance on NVIDIA cards, especially for GTX980/970 versions
  • Fixed potential crash when running the game in resolutions higher than 1080p
  • Fixed graphical corruption on nVidia when running in resolutions higher than 1080p
  • Fixed a bug that occurred on low framerate which prevented the door to open in Pax Romana
  • Fixed a bug that allowed Legendary difficulty to be selected with mouse even though it is not unlocked
  • Made CVar accessible to disable/enable force feedback on the game controller: i_forcefeedback 0/1
  • Made CVar accessible to disable/enable flash (e.g. the ingame HUD for taking beauty screenshots): gfx_draw 0/1
  • Made CVar accessible to adjust image sharpening: r_PostAASharpening 0…2 (values range from 0 to 2, default is 0.2)
  • Added support for high resolution timer mode to overcome FPS limits on some systems. Activate via “sys_highrestimer = 1” (without quotes) in system.cfg
Also, NVIDIA has just released new Drivers for a wide range of GeForce GPUs (version 344.48), which include a SLI profile for Ryse!

Keep up the good fight to protect Rome!

The Ryse Team

So anyone found a way to turn off vibration yet? I am planning to hook my PC to my TV to enjoy game in full glory, but controller vibration cant be turned off is a bummer. How can Crytek miss such basic option? I hate controller vibration since PS1 days, and in this game it vibrates on every damn button press. So annoying.
LLShC.gif

THEY HAVE FIXED THIS.

Patch out now:

Hey all,

we have just released a new patch for Ryse that can now be downloaded from Steam. Highlights for this release are the ability to turn of the HUD (we can't wait to see your screenshots in the Community Hub) as well as Controller Rumble (this change being directly based on community feedback).

We have also made further improvements to performance and stability, as you can see from our full Release Notes:

SLI/Crossfire optimization & quality improvements
Improved GPU performance on NVIDIA cards, especially for GTX980/970 versions
Fixed potential crash when running the game in resolutions higher than 1080p
Fixed graphical corruption on nVidia when running in resolutions higher than 1080p
Fixed a bug that occurred on low framerate which prevented the door to open in Pax Romana
Fixed a bug that allowed Legendary difficulty to be selected with mouse even though it is not unlocked
Made CVar accessible to disable/enable force feedback on the game controller: i_forcefeedback 0/1
Made CVar accessible to disable/enable flash (e.g. the ingame HUD for taking beauty screenshots): gfx_draw 0/1
Made CVar accessible to adjust image sharpening: r_PostAASharpening 0…2 (values range from 0 to 2, default is 0.2)
Added support for high resolution timer mode to overcome FPS limits on some systems. Activate via “sys_highrestimer = 1” (without quotes) in system.cfg

Also, NVIDIA has just released new Drivers for a wide range of GeForce GPUs (version 344.48), which include a SLI profile for Ryse!

Keep up the good fight to protect Rome!

The Ryse Team

http://steamcommunity.com/games/Ryse/announcements/detail/237889272610919493

Top Bottom