• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bob_arctor said:
Did Obama win Indiana as well?? Amazing if so.

Indiana and NC (which won't be called for a few days ala NM in 2004, I would wager) went blue on the backs of the Obama ground game. Here in NC McCain's people did turn out-they got over 110k more GOP votes than they did in 2004, despite getting slaughtered in some of the swing areas of the state-it's just that Obama's folks ran up the score or kept it close in all the key areas, save for the Charlotte exburban areas which came very close to sinking us.

FuturusX

Well I'm off to work. I haven't felt this good ...in..well ever.
POLIGAF....all I can say is....
It's been emotional.

LockStockJonesL_468x317.jpg

SUPREME1

Banned
Monroeski said:
I don't like that he's leaving them behind.

I know, it's probably supposed to be a representation of the past that CAN'T change, but something about that just looks like him casually moving on alone and leaving other black men behind.

Wtf?

SO much fail.

Good to be back. Glad the bastard was proven wrong. Really, really wrong.

Breathing, beautiful, epic, tear-jerking, shivers down my spine, sweet, warm, somber, mature, and historic acceptance speech. By far, the best speech in this campaign, by far the best speech I've ever heard in modern political history, and it fuckin hit me like a ton of bricks. THIS is what it feels like to actually respect and even LOVE your leaders, your country and countrymen. The world has woken up. We are PROUD. I SAID GOT DAMN.

IT IS HUGE.

And it was heart-breaking when both Obama and Biden showed up with their mothers. Obam didn't have his grandmother and mother, obviously, so he posed with his mother-in-law. That was sweet.

That puppy line about his daughters, that's what I love about the guy. He is serious and mature, but genuine and warm.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Good story at Newsweek that includes this gem

The debates unnerved both candidates. When he was preparing for them during the Democratic primaries, Obama was recorded saying, "I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more cautious. I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.' So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."

chubigans said:
Was that indecision thing any good? I recorded it but I heard it was pretty bad.
I'd say it's as good or bad as you normally find The Daily Show / Colbert Report, except that if you watch it now the novelty of it being Actually Live is gone.
funkmastergeneral said:
doubtful, he still for some god awful reason has some democratic support and a shit ton of republican support in CT
Ehh, his home state support is way down from when he managed to beat the legitimate Democratic contender in 2006. No more fooling people that he's in it for the good of the party.
Cheebs said:
Has anyone figured out why while Obama won a huge landslide victory that the senate/house wins were rather under expectations? It's a bit odd.
Well, Obama did get quite a few squeakers. If nationally things had been one percent the other way he'd still have won but it wouldn't look nearly as wide.
speculawyer said:
How about gay black people?
lamar2.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DOO13ER said:
I really can't tell if I should be laughing at that "Christian" forum or be fucking terrified by it.

Personally, I've had enough of those sorts to last me a lifetime. I want no part in laughing at--or becoming pissed by--their insanity. Let 'em wallow in the irrelevance they deserve.

TheGrayGhost said:
Good to be back. Glad the bastard was proven wrong. Really, really wrong.

Breathing, beautiful, epic, tear-jerking, shivers down my spine, sweet, warm, somber, mature, and historic acceptance speech. By far, the best speech in this campaign, by far the best speech I've ever heard in modern political history, and it fuckin hit me like a ton of bricks. THIS is what it feels like to actually respect and even LOVE your leaders, your country and countrymen. The world has woken up. We are PROUD. I SAID GOT DAMN.

IT IS HUGE.

And it was heart-breaking when both Obama and Biden showed up with their mothers. Obam didn't have his grandmother and mother, obviously, so he posed with his mother-in-law. That was sweet.

That puppy line about his daughters, that's what I love about the guy. He is serious and mature, but genuine and warm.

The old lady with Obama was actually Michelle's mother

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
At the end of their noon broadcast, Cleveland's CBS affiliate just reported on CNN's "hologram technology." They said when they beamed in Jessica Yellen to their studio from Chicago, it was the first time the hologram had been used on live television.

I LOL'ed.

captive said:
Wow are you guys that arrogant and self important your looking for hardcore christian boards just to talk shit about its members?
What is wrong with learning about and discussing other points of view? I wish those rapture-ready folks would do it too so they wouldn't have such sheltered extremist views.

ghibli99

What a night. I slept like a baby, too. I gotta hand it to McCain for delivering one of the best concession speeches I've ever heard. When the audience kept booing, he classed it up and basically motioned for them to STFU.

Throughout this campaign, one line kept playing over and over in my head, from The Shawshank Redeption:

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Looking forward to the coming years.

Chris R

Shiiiiiiit

Stevens might (and probably will) win... Apparently they still have to count the absentee votes (which might be good, since that includes the university votes)... going to make me really angry though if I voted for all losers on my ballot (well... Obama in a very red state, I knew I was going to lose that).

Haunted

Oh those bitter tears taste delicious.

But those Christian fundamentalists are close to stepping over the line. I mean, how delusional can you get?

Baker

Banned
Danthrax said:
At the end of their noon broadcast, Cleveland's CBS affiliate just reported on CNN's "hologram technology." They said when they beamed in Jessica Yellen to their studio from Chicago, it was the first time the hologram had been used on live television.

I LOL'ed.

I got more a kick out of the apparent fact that Anderson Cooper has never seen Star Wars.

Interviewee: "Wow it's like I'm in a Star Wars movie!"

Cooper: "Actually it's just like when they beam people in Star Trek."

Evlar said:
:lol

Yeah. 7.2 million dead people voted.
C'mon . . . they weren't all dead. Some were Mickey Mouse. Some were the front line of the Dallas Cowboys.

The magnitude of the victory was truly important. The electoral landslide and wide popular vote margin really eliminates any rational complaints about a 'stolen' election. However, there will continue to be irrational complaints.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
lawblob said:
These people simply don't know what irony means.
But they do know what their target market is and what huge ass ratings are.

I refuse to believe that he actually believes everything he says.

Tamanon

Banned
Like everyone in America just now, he is on tenterhooks. A Democrat who truly despises the Bush regime, he is reluctant to make predictions about exactly what is going to happen in the forthcoming election on the grounds that he might 'jinx it'. The unknown quantity of voter racism apart, however, he is hopeful that Obama will pull it off, and if he does, for Hersh this will be a starting gun. 'You cannot believe how many people have told me to call them on 20 January [the date of the next president's inauguration],' he says, with relish. '[They say:] "You wanna know about abuses and violations? Call me then." So that is what I'll do, so long as nothing awful happens before the inauguration.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/19/seymour-hersh-new-yorker-reporter

:( It's even worse than we thought?

Haunted

Baker said:
I got more a kick out of the apparent fact that Anderson Cooper has never seen Star Wars.

Interviewee: "Wow it's like I'm in a Star Wars movie!"

Cooper: "Actually it's just like when they beam people in Star Trek."
It's sad but I noticed that, too. :lol

You could also tell that will.i.am was considering correcting him for a split second, but then decided to not derail the interview.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
yoopoo said:
What the fuck is wrong with laughing and pointing at people to are mentally unbalanced on purpose? NOTHING!

Its hilarious. STFU and go along with it.
Why should I?

Some of you seem so out of touch its insane. Those people DO NOT represent Christianity. They are radical extremists, without the violence.

STFU and enjoy the victory, with such a victory you have to go and point and laugh to make yourselves feel even better than you already should be?

so some stupid name said:
tears so bitter so very bitter.
Hey, jackass, im not bitter. I care more about my local election than the presidential.

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of some of you people.

fact: and gun owners = hardcore christian nuts.
Um no. If you truly believe that then you really are as stupid as you come off.

Barrett2

captive said:
Why should I?

Some of you seem so out of touch its insane. Those people DO NOT represent Christianity. They are radical extremists, without the violence.

STFU and enjoy the victory, with such a victory you have to go and point and laugh to make yourselves feel even better than you already should be?

Hey, jackass, im not bitter. I care more about my local election than the presidential.

Yes, you certainly don't sound bitter, I will give you that. :lol

And I love that you refer to supporters of the candidate who just won in a massive blowout as "out of touch." :lol

DSN2K

I just watched the McCain speech and u know what that was the real John McCain, its funny really that if his Party had let him show who he really was instead of forcing this typical Republican line of talk he'd have had a much better shot.

Anyone see this?

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/11/thought_of_the_day_10.php said:
Thought of the Day
Barack Obama bringing Indiana and Virginia into the Democratic column for the first time since the 1964 landslide reflects the enduring “center-right” nature of American politics.

Seriously — what would falsify the center-right thesis if not a political sweep by left-of-center candidates?

UPDATE: Brokaw on Morning Joe cited as evidence for the center-right thesis the idea that a majority of land area in the United States, if you measure it on the county level, voted for McCain.
Seriously? What a fucking hack.

AIRic

ghibli99 said:
Throughout this campaign, one line kept playing over and over in my head, from The Shawshank Redeption:

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Looking forward to the coming years.

Same for me, but at the same time : "Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." from the same discussion in that movie. Peoples with high hopes has greater expectations and are more likely to be disappointed. But in the case of Obama, I'm pretty sure, he won't disappoint. It seriously can't be worse than Bush years. You have a better future ahead of you America.

captive said:
Why should I?

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of some of you people.

Um no. If you truly believe that then you really are as stupid as you come off.
Pick you battles, and stop defending that board where people are insinuating the assassination of Obama will come and be a great thing.

S T F U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom