• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Rush Limbaugh is now doing a very very racist "imitation" of Obama. All he needs to do is say he wants some collared greens. Holy Shit. This is better than I thought it would be.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So lets have a quick recap here:
Senate
-Minnesota is too close and going to a recount. Oh boy.
-While Chamberliss is ahead in Georgia the early votes that still need to be counted will likely force a run-off in December
-Oregon senate is tight but its mostly Democratic areas left to be counted. So we'll see...
-Alaska has decided to embarrasse the nation by electing a convicted felon to the Senate. However with the margin at only 4,000 votes it could still swing to the Dem at the last minute.

Presidential
-Nobody's willing to call North Carolina or Missouri (and AP refuses to call Georgia). I'm guessing they all have uncounted early votes still.

Ballot Measures
-America hates gays confirmed. God cries, ect, ect.
-Still some more votes to be counted in California but its looking grim...

House
-Except for Backermann getting reelected all's well on this front

1-D_FTW

speculawyer said:
What is wrong with learning about and discussing other points of view? I wish those rapture-ready folks would do it too so they wouldn't have such sheltered extremist views.

I'm guess I'm an elitist, but I apply them to my "Archie Bunker theory." Some people are way too ignorant to ever know when they're wrong. So if you know better, and you argue with them, you're even dumber than they are. A.K.A. a Meathead.

Not that I'm saying opposing viewpoints are bad (because they're clearly not in a lot of situations.) But sometimes you need to know when to be the better person and just ignore them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
captive said:
No, just amazed at how ungracious some of you are in victory.

The constant embarassing jeering at Obama at the McCain event and the cheering for McCain at the Obama event pretty much summed it up for me. I was really proud that the Grant Park people cheered for McCain, if nothing more than to inject some civility and because McCain gave a great concession speech in stark contrast to his disgraceful campaign.

It's always easy to pick out people on GAF, but I don't think the general attitude in the country is "bitter tears" at all if that's any consolation.

StoOgE

grandjedi6 said:
So lets have a quick recap here:
Senate
-Minnesota is too close and going to a recount. Oh boy.
-While Chamberliss is ahead in Georgia the early votes that still need to be counted will likely force a run-off in December
-Washington senate is tight but its mostly Democratic areas left to be counted. So we'll see...
-Alaska has decided to embarrasse the nation by electing a convicted felon to the Senate. However with the margin at only 4,000 votes it could still swing to the Dem at the last minute.

Presidential
-Nobody's willing to call North Carolina or Missouri (and AP refuses to call Georgia). I'm guessing they all have uncounted early votes still.

Ballot Measures
-America hates gays confirmed. God cries, ect, ect.
-Still some more votes to be counted in California but its looking grim...

House
-Except for Backermann getting reelected all's well on this front

Yes, but it is the Oregon Senate race.

so_awes

Banned
captive said:
Why should I?

Some of you seem so out of touch its insane. Those people DO NOT represent Christianity. They are radical extremists, without the violence.

STFU and enjoy the victory, with such a victory you have to go and point and laugh to make yourselves feel even better than you already should be?

Hey, jackass, im not bitter. I care more about my local election than the presidential.

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of some of you people.

Um no. If you truly believe that then you really are as stupid as you come off.
HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

fact: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!
fact: gun owners = bitter nuts
fact: you're very bitter! and crying.

:lol :lol :lol

StoOgE

SnakeXs said:
Those images from around the world almost made me cry. And I don't cry.

Fucking wow.

Same here. I don't cry for anything but I've been getting misty eyed today. So fucking proud of my country today.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
"I have a friend who is black, that is ( I thought ) Christian, that just loves Osama. I think these folks are black first, Christian second. It's the race thing. Sad and very annoying."

I keep trying to find a facepalm pic suitable enough for this gem.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Souldriver said:
Pick you battles, and stop defending that board where people are insinuating the assassination of Obama will come and be a great thing.

S T F U
Im not defending the board, I think its disgusting.
Im questioning why people are so hell bent on forcing themselves to read it just so they can post the most ridiculous posts they find here.

Barrett2

I love that Republicans have the audacity to call out Obama supporters right now for not taking the win 'graciously.'

Last time I checked, it was Bush who declared he had a mandate from the people after a 2% victory. If Bush can declare a mandate with that, what does Obama have? :lol

Better cry it out now, Republicans, because Obamerica is just beginning. The people had a choice, and they just curb-stomped your ideology.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This thread is humongous, so just ignore me if this was already discussed, but it was something that came up at our dinner table this evening..

AFAIK, Obama has a half brother basically living in poverty in Africa. I presume Obama has already offered him assistance and what-not, but IIRC, the guy seemed happy enough as he was, and I suppose there's an element of pride there as well.

Anyway, my question is, now that Obama is going to be President of the US, is some level of protection/assistance going to be imposed on this half brother - or indeed, other relatives he may have in Africa?

I ask because, it seems to me this half brother could be quite vulnerable now to attempts by others to blackmail or influence Obama.. if you get my drift. More literally..consider what might happen if this brother were kidnapped by terrorists. That could be quite the pickle. I'm thinking the half brother could be quite vulnerable to that sort of situation living as he is right now?

besada

Banned
captive said:
Some of you seem so out of touch its insane. Those people DO NOT represent Christianity. They are radical extremists, without the violence.

They do, actually. They absolutely do represent Christianity. They speak in the name of it, and Christianity doesn't respond to them. They may not represent it well, but they definitely represent it. If you want that to change, maybe you should be cleaning your own house instead of tring to give us lessons.

captive said:
Hey, jackass, im not bitter. I care more about my local election than the presidential.

Yes, you are. You're in here whining about how you're being persecuted, and what terrible people we all are for laughing at lunatics. And we think it's funny. How's that work for you, champ?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
lawblob said:
I actually agree with Tucker Carlson on this one. I think the media is going to take this 'black celebration' narrative too far. A lot of people legitimately just vote on policies, and in a certain sense we diminish Obama's victory if we reduce it to nothing more than a 'racial' victory. This is a victory for many noble things, and race is only one of them.

Yeah but dude his race is a big story now that he has won. He's the Jackie Robinson of Politics to the Western World. His race is a HUGE part of the story.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so_awes said:
HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

fact: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!
fact: gun owners = bitter nuts
fact: you're very bitter! and crying.

:lol :lol :lol
Wow. Really?

smh, this is getting moronic.

besada said:
They do, actually. They absolutely do represent Christianity. They speak in the name of it, and Christianity doesn't respond to them. They may not represent it well, but they definitely represent it. If you want that to change, maybe you should be cleaning your own house instead of tring to give us lessons.
Yea they represent christanity as much as islamic terrorists represent Muslims.

Yes, you are. You're in here whining about how you're being persecuted, and what terrible people we all are for laughing at lunatics. And we think it's funny. How's that work for you, champ?
Where did i say im being persecuted? Nowhere have i said anything of that nature.

StoOgE

Oh good, Rush Limbaugh is saying Sarah Palin saved the campaign, McCain cost her the VP :lol :lol :lol

snacknuts

we all knew her
mamacint said:
Anyone see this?

Seriously? What a fucking hack.

:lol I had an election coverage party last night and one of my friends is a big McCain supporter. The only condolences I could offer him were that it looked like McCain would win in terms of surface area.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
captive said:
Im questioning why people are so hell bent on forcing themselves to read it just so they can post the most ridiculous posts they find here.
Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

captive said:
Im not defending the board, I think its disgusting.
Just pointing out that these nutjobs that have been in power (or have had a great influence) the last 30 years, finally lose an important battle.

Yes, it's Schadenfreude, nothing wrong with that.

Baker

Banned
DOO13ER said:
"I have a friend who is black, that is ( I thought ) Christian, that just loves Osama. I think these folks are black first, Christian second. It's the race thing. Sad and very annoying."

I keep trying to find a facepalm pic suitable enough for this gem.

At least you can take solace that the worst thing he/she can fathom about Obama is that if you change a letter, it becomes a random first name of a terrorist.

Even Santa has it worse.

Rahm Emanuel WH chief of staff. he is what you call a fucking bulldog, he will destroy anyone and anything in any way possible. He will make Karl Rove look like a bunny. Republicans are going to be shitting in thier pants if Obama has him as his COS. Add to that he has alot of republican friends just because they are afraid to offend him. seriously

StoOgE

gofreak said:
This thread is humongous, so just ignore me if this was already discussed, but it was something that came up at our dinner table this evening..

AFAIK, Obama has a half brother basically living in poverty in Africa. I presume Obama has already offered him assistance and what-not, but IIRC, the guy seemed happy enough as he was, and I suppose there's an element of pride there as well.

Anyway, my question is, now that Obama is going to be President of the US, is some level of protection/assistance going to be imposed on this half brother - or indeed, other relatives he may have in Africa?

I ask because, it seems to me this half brother could be quite vulnerable now to attempts by others to blackmail or influence Obama.. if you get my drift. More literally..consider what might happen if this brother were kidnapped by terrorists. That could be quite the pickle. I'm thinking the half brother could be quite vulnerable to that sort of situation living as he is right now?

I never thought about that :/

jmdajr

Souldriver said:
I just hope the real conservative republicans make a comeback, and that nutjobs like Palin lose any influence they've had the past 30 years.

little by little I hope to see the death of the neocons.

Tamanon

Banned
gofreak said:

Nah, life isn't like an action movie. Obama doesn't give a fuck about his half-brother. Which is expected, they're only related by his father, may as well call him a stepbrother.

Barrett2

jmdajr said:

Neoconservative foreign policy is dead, thank God. Now it can finally be pushed back into the out-of-touch halls of academia where it originated.

NeoCon foreign policy is absolute fantasy-land utopian bullshit. It doesn't work in the real world, it treats our armed forces like a fucking commodity to be exploited for economic gain, and it ignores basic principles of foreign policy.

jmdajr said:
Yeah, it's a vile movement that has hijacked the republican party. I hope it dies too, although there's also a change that it can bite back fiercer than ever. It depends how the republican party tries to get itself back on the tracks. Traditional conservatism, or trying to appeal even more to the nutjobs in this nation with the argument that McCain was "too centrist".

Cyan

Banned
I agree with captive. Can we drop the rapture-ready stuff?

Those people aren't regular Republicans or even regular Christians--they're goddamn fringe wingnut psychopaths. It's unhealthy for the soul to read that drivel.

Gaze too long into the abyss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom