• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Xbox One could hit its stride in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biker19

Banned
Maybe in the US there is a chance. The rest of the world is over. No one cares. I never heard somebody wanting and xbox here. Everybody is talking about the PS4 or PC when they talk about next gen. And that is hard to change.

Very, very hard.

So XB1 didn't hit its stride in a year when it had more and better exclusives and third party support; but its going to hit its stride in a year when it has significantly less exclusives in both hype and number and apparently third party support even though every game performs better on PS4? Ok IGN. They bought Tomb Raider timed exclusivity for a reason, they're 2015 is very short on exclusives compared to PS4.

That's what I don't understand. Xbox One had a good year with 2014 in exclusives, but 2015, I don't see it. All I see are Quantum Break, Crackdown 3, Halo 5, & what?

lpchrys

Banned
Third party games will always be better on PS4, and we haven't seen MS's big guns other than Halo 5 to counter the likes of Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 yet, better wait till E3.
Crackdown will be pretty big, as well as Qauntum Break. Don't forget about the Gears franchise too. All those have potential to release next year, highly unlikely though.

Bgamer90

Banned
What exactly are Halo 5 and/or Gears 2016 suppose to accomplish? Those that wanted those games will have likely already bought into an XB1. I can't see either of those games attracting new consumers to the XB1 ecosystem.

Those games are pandering to the existing fans.

So tired of hearing this. So no one actually, you know, waits for games to release to buy the console?

Why is that true but on the flip side it isn't true that everyone who wanted a PS4 for popular PS exclusives like Gran Turismo or Uncharted already have one -- especially with the system having more sales?

Straight up console war logic. "My console will get better sales in the future since many big name games are coming out soon! Yours won't since the people who want it for the big games coming next year already have one!!!"

Zephyrus

Banned
Yes a monopoly is great. /s

yes, because we all had horrible gens when the ps1 and ps2 were around, didn't we?

The gens were devs took the most risks and didn't play it safe, resulting in some of the most amazing IP's we ever got.

What a truly fucked up opinion.

Having more and better games.

orochi91

So tired of hearing this. So no one actually, you know, waits for games to release to buy the console?

Why is that true but on the flip side it isn't true that everyone who wanted a PS4 for popular PS exclusives like Gran Turismo or Uncharted already have one -- especially with the system having more sales?

Straight up console war logic. "My console will get better sales in the future since many big name games are coming out soon! Your's won't since the people who want it for big games coming next year already have one!!!"

There are AAA calibre exclusive games outside of Uncharted and GT that are coming to PS4.

We are at 8 Halo games, 9 if you include the one following Guardians; 5 Gears of War
games, 7 if the new one gets made into a trilogy.

Funny how you leave out what those two eras gave us... PS3. That launch was horrific.

So what's MS excuse for fucking things up as badly as they did with the XB1? They were never on top in any gen, yet still
produced a console more detrimental to its own brand than the PS3 ever was to the PS brand.

PS dominating the gen is good thing in my eyes.

Zephyrus

Banned
Funny how you leave out what those two eras gave us... PS3. That launch was horrific.

so it was. It was also the only gen that sony didn't dominate. Coincidently, it's also the worst of the 3.

Instead we had the american system forcing developers to develop for american consumers and losing their identity (hi, Japan).

Remember Capcom? Sega?

Chobel

PS3 had bad launch, however the era itself was not bad at all. As gamer you shouldn't give a shit if one console is performing bad or good, we follow the games and not the consoles.

VinFTW

There are AAA calibre exclusive games outside of Uncharted and GT that are coming to PS4.

We are at 8 Halo games, 9 if you include the one following Guardians; 5 Gears of War

There are AAA games outside of Halo and Gears that are coming to Xbox One as well?

PS3 had bad launch, however the era itself was not bad at all. As gamer you shouldn't give a shit if one or two console were performing bad or good, we follow the games and not the consoles.
Absolutely, LOVED my PS3. Not quite as much as my 360, but I still felt fucked by a lot of things at launch.

And you don't need to preach to me :p I'm one of those that looks at these console warz with a thousand yard stare. I own all consoles and I love em all.

I'd accept a shitty PS3 launch for the amazing titles of the PS1 and PS2 any day.
So why not accept the shitty X1 launch for how good the 360 was? or the OG Xbox?

Not really great logic :/ Shouldn't accept any shitty launches.

k3rn3ll

Neo Member

Yea people tend to forget that most monopolies are alright at first. They do it to satisfy and when customers. Then once they have their loyalty the budgets cuts come in and the artistic creation is shot out the window. That's how you start to get the same product over and over with one improvement if ur lucky

yes, because we all had horrible gens when the ps1 and ps2 were around, didn't we?
I'm sorry did I say that? Some of my favorite games are on the PS2 and PS1 but also on the N64 GameCube and Xbox. My point was I don't want 1 console only in the marketplace to choose from. And calling me an idiot was completely necessary. What the fuck.

besada

Banned
Man this post is painfully generic.
Your post is equally generic, and has the misfortune of not being about the topic of the thread. If you're interested in discussing the topic, do so, rather than make pointless comments about someone else's post.

I make a joke post and suddenly I notice someone said the same thing but meant it...

I got a ps3 in 2007 at launch. I'm from Portugal. Here's what sony's first party games I got in 2007: Resistance fall of man, warhawk, ratchet and clank tools of destruction, heavenly sword, motorstorm and uncharted drake's fortune.

No games. Right.

But like you said, they made the ps2. And ps1. And anyone with half a brain would see that investing in the playstation brand would pay off. As it did since it was the best system to own last gen. You want to argue, fine. Do it with someone else. Shooterbox didn't do it for me.

What did microsoft do? They made a system that was a joke in it's first gen and then made another that was successful in two countries?

Since you have such an issue with sony launching an "overpriced" (they lost money with each one sold), I'd assume you'd have it with microsoft since they did launch an overpriced system. Let alone trying to pull the biggest draconian move in this industry.

MS lost money the first year the Xbox360 was released. The Ps3 launched in 2006 and the only game you mentioned there was Resistence at launch. Those other games you mentioned did not hit until late summer/fall of 2007. Sorry but because a system is launched a year later in your country doesn't mean the games were available.

Yeah Ms was trying to limit the reselling to video games but what other software can you resell license. Sony and Nintendo have been against renting video games for years but kept losing court battles. It's not just Microsoft and also the system they had in place for sharing the games digtally was actually pretty good until everyone lost their shit when they announced this at e3 last year. All digital is going to eventually happen.

Chobel

Yea people tend to forget that most monopolies are alright at first. They do it to satisfy and when customers. Then once they have their loyalty the budgets cuts come in and the artistic creation is shot out the window. That's how you start to get the same product over and over with one improvement if ur lucky

Can we stop this? Domination =/= Monopoly

PS1 and PS2 eras were not a monopoly, it's like everybody forgot that other consoles existed in these eras other than PS platforms.

orochi91

I'm sorry did I say that? Some of my favorite games are on the PS2 and PS1 but also on the N64 GameCube and Xbox. My point was I don't want 1 console only in the marketplace to choose from. And calling me an idiot was completely necessary. What the fuck.

Why does it matter if the PS4 dominates the gen like it did with PS2 and PS1?
You'd still have an XB1 and Wii U to choose from.

So why not accept the shitty X1 launch for how good the 360 was? or the OG Xbox?

Not really great logic :/ Shouldn't accept any shitty launches.

I don't really know what you're trying to say here. If a console launch is shitty I just don't purchase it until they get their act together... like I did with the PS3.

All this monopoly discussion...

It's important to remember that the benefits to consumers from competition doesn't require both competitors to sell equal amounts or even near equal amounts.

The Xbox One just needs to continue to exist and that would be enough to keep Sony on their toes.

vrln

Neo Member

The gens were devs took the most risks and didn't play it safe, resulting in some of the most amazing IP's we ever got.

I think there´s a lot more to it than just the monopoly question. The industry was quite different back then. Development costs were not as high, teams were smaller, online gaming wasn´t a thing in consoles yet and you could also argue that the innovations came from breakthroughs in technology (3D graphics were a pretty new thing in PS1-PS2, PS3 was then more of the same).

That generation was bound to be innovative just because of the era where 3D graphics become a big thing. And despite not coming close in sales, from a mindshare perspective PS1 and PS2 both had solid competition from Xbox (pushing PS2 graphics) and N64 (analog stick, rumble, 3D platformers). The PS3 then showed Sony at their worst when they got just as arrogant as MS when 360 originally won the first few years against the PS3.

My hope is that MS manages to keep within 50-60% PS4 sales to keep the ecosystem healthy for third party vendors and set the stage for a better marketed and aligned successor. And Nintendo seriously needs a comeback after the Wii U. There´s no reason all three couldn´t co-exist to make this a more competitive industry. Competition breeds innovation - just look at cell phones and Nokia how stagnant it become for years before Apple and Google came along.

orochi91

All this monopoly discussion...

It's important to remember that the benefits to consumers from competition doesn't require both competitors to sell equal amounts or even near equal amounts.

The Xbox One just needs to continue to exist and that would be enough to keep Sony on their toes.

Precisely.

Bgamer90

Banned

And there are AAA games coming out outside of Halo and Gears on the XB1.

We are at 6 Gran Turismo games -- soon to be 7 and more than likely 8 since there's usually 2 Gran Turismo games per gen. 5 Gears games? Are you adding in the possible collection? Either way it's not much different in number from Uncharted.

Don't get me started on Ratchet and Clank. More than 10 games right?

I honestly don't get your point -- at all.

Idiot? Really?

SaucyJack

I think what´s generally referred to as MS arrogance should really be split into three topics that each need to be discussed separately:

(1) TV TV TV!

This I think was their major stumble. First of all TV isn´t as big of a draw in gaming anymore since streaming video is the new hot thing and everyone has Netflix support these days. More importantly though this sent the signal that MS are building a console for the US market as TV support basically only worked in a few countries. This I agree was a huge marketing failure on their behalf, but even then I think the biggest problem is the order in which the XBO was introduced. First impressions count and I have no idea who could think it was a good idea to introduce the console via this perspective. If they had talked TV as an afterthought later after the games and OS focused reveal the backlash would have been nowhere as bad.

(2) Digital Only Future!

This is probably the worst offender, but I think a major role in deflecting this was not just internet forums, but in particular retail in the form of GameStop who publicly put their stock in the PS4. Now as someone who loathes #1 I actually would have welcomed and preferred an all digital future. The original plan was a lot like Steam except more open. I still feel this will eventually happen for both Sony and MS, but unfortunately for me it wasn´t the time yet.

(3) Kinect for Everyone!

The problem wasn´t really Kinect per se, it was forcing everyone to buy it and making it a part of the mandatory ecosystem. It´s a nice accessory and ok for some kinds of games, but that´s it. Without it XBO could have launched at price parity and without the GPU reservation the resolution gap wouldn´t have been as bad in the beginning either. Price was the deciding factor though and really widened the gap a lot more than the difference in GPU power.

That being said, I think we´re seeing Sony make the same kind of mistakes (stagnating, taking things for granted) now that they are dominating: weak OS support, lacklustre first party output and infrastructure issues. Competition is good for the industry. I don´t understand saying that even buying exclusivity is bad for the industry - it´s just standard business.

Sony would do the same (and look at Destiny with its exclusive content) if could and needed, it´s just that they are bleeding too much money overall and don´t really need to go this right now. If MS catches up too much expect Sony to start buying timed exclusives as well. Nothing special or anti-consumer about it, just competition between ecosystem vendors.

On that:

1. The big TV misstep was that the functionality (in addition to being US-centric) is very focussed on live TV. Unfortunately live TV outside of major sporting events is so last decade. We watch netflix, catch-up TV, on demand, box sets, TIVO, etc. Therefore, whilst some people love it, the majority said "so what?".

2. Digital only future was never presented as a vision and, to be honest, I think that's because it never was the vision.

3. Kinect could have been XBs unique selling point, the technology is kinda cool. But what are you going to use it for apart from voice commands? Bundling Kinect wasnt the problem, bundling it and giving you next to no reason to use it was. This strikes me as a lack of cohesive strategy.

but all they have is halo. anyone who cares about halo already has one.

meanwhile ps4 will have far more exclusives and superior multiplats .

Biker19

Banned
So what's MS excuse for fucking things up as badly as they did with the XB1? There were never on top in any gen, yet still
produced a console more detrimental to its own brand than the PS3 ever was to the PS brand.

Exactly. At least both Nintendo & Sony had a reason to be arrogant back then...they each won two console generations in a row.

Sega, Microsoft...nope.

So instead of wait for the next month to see killer XB1 sales we are suppose to wait for 2015?
Something tells me Sony has something big for next year as well...

Zephyrus

Banned

yes... you did.

The moment you complained about the same thing that happened on the two best gens ever, you immediatly say it wasn't as good as the one we had last time or this current one.

Do you have stocks in any of these companies?

I don't, so I don't care which one wins as long as I get more and better games. Unless it's microsoft. Microsoft running the show is bad for us. If with the least successful system (it ended 3rd place) they tried to pull the drm stuff, imagine when they're the de facto winner...

Nightmare inducing stuff.

I don't care which systems has the best firmware, I don't care which one has the most stuff that has no relation to games.

I care about games. I buy consoles to play games. As long as the online is competent and offers us the basic minimum, I'm happy.

So, yes I did call you and the other guy who said my view was fucked up, idiots.

Because the mere statement that a console dominating is bad for us, is idiotic. Especially when we already had two gens that proved otherwise.

Sponge

Banned
Killer Instinct and it's ongoing support is really the only thing selling me on an Xbox. I gotta see what Microsoft has in store this E3, too. Pray to the gods Phil Spencer actually got Rare to make a game that isn't Kinect Sports.

AmFreak

That difference is not "generational" which is what btags is getting at. That difference is pitance in comparison to actual generation differences. An actual generational difference would be if UE4 maintained its voxel GI solution and the PS4 was powerful enough to use it (hint, it is no where near powerful enough).

The PS4 has scarcely longer legs than the xb1 at the end of the day in terms of being able to maintain a baseline level of performance. Any arguments that the PS4 is more next gen or something because of HuMA, async compute, whatever... ignores the fact that these boxes are basically almost the same except for resolution and performance differences in games.

Fuck, the boxes dont even evenly apply AF to games and people paint the PS4 as being some sort of second coming in comparison. Get some perspective please.

If this gen showed something it is that (absolute) hardware power actually doesn't matter.
What matters is the difference in power of the consoles.

Rymuth

On that:

1. The big TV misstep was that the functionality (in addition to being US-centric) is very focussed on live TV. Unfortunately live TV outside of major sporting events is so last decade. We watch netflix, catch-up TV, on demand, box sets, TIVO, etc. Therefore, whilst some people love it, the majority said "so what?".
This is very true. The way we consume TV show entertainment has changed. Binge watching is overtaking watching live TV and Netflix releasing shows in their entirety (House of Cards, Arrested season 4) is proof of that.

The Xbox One is better at every single thing than the PS4, except for game performance. Multiplats will always, always be better on PS4, and there's nothing MS can do to ever change that.

totally subjective

I still think it was one of the most damaging acts to a brand I've ever seen and it should be studied for years to come on what not to do :p

i didnt think anything could top the infamous psn outage, but the xb1 reveal certainly proved me wrong

In a just world it would. Wii U's exclusives this year alone make a mockery of anything Xbox One has on it's plate for this year or next.

TBH, the Wii U deserves to sell better than both the PS4 and Xbone combined.

i can sense some bitter salt in these posts. if nintendo had given the U some muscle under the hood your comments might have some merit, but they decided to make it a weakling with no muscle whatsoever. this is a just world and nintendo is paying the price for their poor decisions.

What happened? Tell us...

tales from his.....

Who cares.... get both = instantly amazing :)

not everyone can afford both. plus some like myself dont have enough time for two consoles.

orochi91

My point is that Halo 5 and Gear 2016 will not hail a huge shift in momentum as the author of the article and
some fans imply. In fact, their release will be a minor blip on the radar.

The fact that MS will release their major titles at the tail end of a year gives
Sony 9-10 months in 2015 (and 2016) to further build the PS4 brand and further
entrench itself in markets where the 360 dominated (US and UK).

The author assuming that XB1 will potentially hit its stride in 2015 is ridiculous.

DNAbro

I can't really argue with Colin here. Sony has become arrogant (note the lack of firmware updates and the Driveclub debacle) while Microsoft has been making all the right moves (EA Access partnership, buying Tomb Raider exclusivity). It's only a matter between MS catches up and perhaps, if there is justice in this world, overtakes Sony's WW sales.

(Sony slowly going bankrupt in the weeks or months ahead isn't going to help as funds are diverted from the profitable Playstation branch into failing areas like Vaio).

can't tell if sarcasm

Bgamer90

Banned
My point is that Halo 5 and Gear 2016 will not hail a huge shift in momentum as the author of the article and
some fans imply. In fact, their release will be a minor blip on the radar.

So you've come back from the future? Halo & Gears are popular series -- how will their releases be "minor blips"?

The fact that MS will release their major titles at the tail end of a year gives
Sony 9-10 months in 2015 (and 2016) to further build the PS4 brand and further
entrench itself in markets where the 360 dominated (Us and UK).

So it's not possible for MS to release games outside of the end of the year?

The author assuming that XB1 will potentially hit its stride in 2015 is ridiculous.

No what's ridiculous is a huge portion of console war posts in this thread.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I mean...it's possible.

But Sony had a price problem with the PS3, as well as an initial drought of games due to the complications of the Cell.

Microsoft didn't just have a price problem, they had a price problem involving a peripheral that had failed to capitalize interest among the core gamers (one of the main early adopter factions), an image problem with the always-online, the NA-focused television feature, inferior specs, among other things.

The coming exclusives the One is getting are nice (even if some on the list aren't til next holiday season, of which forecasting the X1's future on as of now seems a bit ludicrous), but just as they hit their the tail end of their stride this holiday and into winter is when PS4 starts getting the ball rolling.

It'll be interesting to see, at any rate.

Biker19

Banned
Your post is equally generic, and has the misfortune of not being about the topic of the thread. If you're interested in discussing the topic, do so, rather than make pointless comments about someone else's post.

This advice certainly needs to be posted in every thread.

Sydle

Very, very hard.

That's what I don't understand. Xbox One had a good year with 2014 in exclusives, but 2015, I don't see it. All I see are Quantum Break, Crackdown 3, Halo 5, & what?

I doubt Crackdown 3 is coming in 2015. I think when they announced it they were still looking for a dev to partner with Cloudgine.

Of the big Xbone 2015 exclusives so far we know of State of Decay Year-One Survival Edition, Fable Legends, Quantum Break, and Halo 5. I think everyone is pretty comfortable pegging Forza 6 for next fall as well since the series has always been on a 2-year dev cycle.

Ishan

And there are AAA games coming out outside of Halo and Gears on the XB1.

We are at 6 Gran Turismo games -- soon to be 7 and more than likely 8 since there's usually 2 Gran Turismo games per gen. 5 Gears games? Are you adding in the possible collection? Either way it's not much different in number from Uncharted.

Don't get me started on Ratchet and Clank. More than 10 games right?

Sony is spread over 3 gens ms over 2 . Big difference . Ms does milk their franchises more. That's pretty much evident whether that results in worse products comes down to personal taste (eg forza is old vs dc new up but some May strong prefer forza etc etc)

N.Domixis

Banned
MS is dumb if they have all their exclusives in towards the end. It just gives sony time to establish domination in all the other months building up momentum for the holidays.

yes... you did.
No I didn't say that in my post at all.

The moment you complained about the same thing that happened on the two best gens ever
That is an opinion.

Do you have stocks in any of these companies?
No but I am starting to think you do.

The rest of your post is damning MS because of their pretty dumb mistake and upset that I disagree with you.

I don't own a PS4 or Xbox 1 at the moment because there isn't much I want on either I want both consoles to do well. Then again since I am wishing for good will on MS's part I am proponent of evil.

I am out of here though this thread is insane.

PS: I never said your view was "fucked up" either.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Again, why is this true but it's not true that everyone that cares about Uncharted already has a PS4?

Let's say that is true, how does it help MS sell more XB1s? PS4 is selling due to critical mass and word of mouth. People are not waiting on Uncharted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom