• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The plan to move Xbox games to other platforms is codenamed "Latitude" internally

SoloCamo

Forza Horizon is a great game and there isn't anything quite like it on PS, except for The Crew which sucks. I think it would be a big hit.

The only MS Game I've consistently played for years at this point and it's still got a fairly large active player bases near enough 5 years later (11/5/2021).

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
JOHLPwF.jpeg

giphy.gif
Shitposting is a crime, sir? Also I still believe what I've said and think that this piece is vastly overblown. Especially the whole codename shtick. Straight out of Jez's ass.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Forza Horizon is a great game and there isn't anything quite like it on PS, except for The Crew which sucks. I think it would be a big hit.

Gears 1-3, because Gears has never existed on PS. I don't think anyone really will care about anything after, nor should they IMO.
Maybe. But define big?
Selling more copies on PS compared to Xbox is easy since the PS installbase is much larger, but overall it'll be decent at best.

I.e. selling 5M copies on Xbox isn't the same as selling 5M on PS, but it'd be decent on PS5 and likely profitable all the same.
Which is ultimately what matters to MS.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shitposting is a crime, sir? Also I still believe what I've said and think that this piece is vastly overblown. Especially the whole codename shtick. Straight out of Jez's ass.

No, absolutely not.

My friend GHG GHG occasionally brings out posts from year(s) ago that I don't even recall to gotcha-bitch me, it's all part of the forum experience :p

splattered

Figured this was over Xbox's head.. Funny you can have people in position of power that SHOULD be making decisions but ultimately get their hands tied behind their backs. What a shit show. Gaming is DOOMED. Great crash 2.0 here we come. :(

I kinda like that codename.
But "Insiders" pretending to know stuff or clout chaser just making stuff up?
Would really interest me what the long term plan is. Hook PS gamers and then phase out everything but CoD for PS6. Or MS actually aiming at merging with ABK and becoming a proper third party. Both seem not impossible. Or if neither works, selling and closing everything which is not beyond MS's playbook.

tommib

Gears 1-3, because Gears has never existed on PS. I don't think anyone really will care about anything after, nor should they IMO.
I would kill for a PS5 port of Quantum Break.

rm082e

Figured this was over Xbox's head.. Funny you can have people in position of power that SHOULD be making decisions but ultimately get their hands tied behind their backs. What a shit show. Gaming is DOOMED. Great crash 2.0 here we come. :(

Phil's job is to run the department. That doesn't mean he should get to take his ideas and drive them forward without any input from the people above him. He (like everyone there) are "agents" in a Principal/Agent environment. They're all paid to perform a job, not to drive their personal agendas.

I get the feeling Phil and Nadella have solid communication. The changes we are seeing in Xbox strategy were probably discussed at length and agreed upon by both of them. Any rumors of resistance to these changes are probably from people further down the chain who are worried about losing their jobs, which is completely understandable.

splattered

Despite what I said above I don't really care where I play my games, I own multiple consoles. But it really does just feel like we are headed for some sort of crash though and not just Microsoft. My friend had been saying it for years but I always laugh it off, and now I finally feel like I see the potential for ruin with some of these decisions these companies are now making in gaming in general. Yuck.

rm082e

Despite what I said above I don't really care where I play my games, I own multiple consoles. But it really does just feel like we are headed for some sort of crash though and not just Microsoft. My friend had been saying it for years but I always laugh it off, and now I finally feel like I see the potential for ruin with some of these decisions these companies are now making in gaming in general. Yuck.

Yeah, it seems like an unavoidable consequence of the corporate rule that profits and margins must always be increasing. If they aren't, you did something wrong, or the thing you have isn't worth it anymore. So the big corps buy up all the studios, squeeze them until they pop, get disappointed they can't grow infinitely, and then discard them.

Out of this crash, new smaller studios will get started by the most passionate and talented people. They'll make some great games, grow their studios, and years down the line the big corps will say "Hey, we should look at acquiring some of these game studios. Look at how well they're doing!"

Radical_3d

What games? The only interesting one, HFR, is already on its way for a physical release on PS5. Are you guys looking forward for something from here?

Indiana?

Skifi28

Gold Member
What games? The only interesting one, HFR, is already on its way for a physical release on PS5. Are you guys looking forward for something from here?

Indiana?
I wouldn't mind double dipping on the MCC and I'd also take a gears 1-3 collection. Forza Horizon should also be great for people that haven't experienced it, though I'm still burned out after 4 and don't personally care.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I kinda like that codename.
But "Insiders" pretending to know stuff or clout chaser just making stuff up?
Would really interest me what the long term plan is. Hook PS gamers and then phase out everything but CoD for PS6. Or MS actually aiming at merging with ABK and becoming a proper third party. Both seem not impossible. Or if neither works, selling and closing everything which is not beyond MS's playbook.
I doubt MS has any plans to try and use exclusives as a wedge any time soon. I think they want to go what we currently consider 3rd party but they don't want it to look like the current system.

Jaybe

They should get their games like Starfield, Hellblade 2, and Forza Horizon 5 all PS5 Pro Enhanced and release them in that console’s launch month to capitalize on it. Those and timing some of their planned late 2024 releases after it as well.

Is it that difficult to raise the possibility that the people in charge did not do a good enough job with the platform?

Crazy I know, especially as some are still there to this day.

Mr.Phoenix

I think the sooner everyone realizes that what is good for Microsoft, is not necessarily good for Xbox. The better.

And in all honesty, can you blame them? Microsft, through Xbox, is sitting on a treasure trove of IPs and potentially, revenue. But are hamstrung by Xbox, and doing things that they hope would make "Xbox" great. But the reality is, that Microsoft gaming would be better off without Xbox. And even if they adopted a gamepass strategy similar to EA play, where they only have their own titles on there and for a reduced sub fee, they would be better off than what they are now.

What we are seeing is Microsoft simply taking steps to stop the bleeding that is Xbox, in as "saving face" a way as they can do it.

If you remove MS from the equation gaming doesn't look so bad. Japanese devs are killing it right now. Sony's last report was great everything was up except consoles.

Sethbacca

I've felt like Motorstorm would be the perfect franchise for the open world Forza Horizon style game, it's too bad they've let the IP die. If MS were going to bring a game over, Horizon would be one that would probably garner a decent number of sales given the lack of competition in the open world driving genre on the platform.

Top Bottom