• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Microsoft and Xbox announced 'Marvel's Blade' at The Game Awards — but could it also be coming to PlayStation?

3liteDragon

Microsoft creates confusion, as usual.
The Game Awards wrapped up last night (or early morning if you're a Brit, like moi), and within, Microsoft and Xbox had an impressive showing throughout. Microsoft announced OD, from Hideo Kojima, alongside Marvel's Blade, built by Arkane Lyon of Dishonored fame. Baldur's Gate 3 also shadow dropped onto Xbox during the show, after a lengthy period of optimization for the Xbox Series S.

However, controversy swirls.

When we wrote up our Blade announcement article, we did so based on prior knowledge of the event. While our sources were 100% correct about it being Blade, we have yet to have 100% confirmation that it will be Xbox exclusive, despite it being suggested to us that it is. Xbox is building it, right? And it seems to address the criticism of Microsoft not having an answer to PlayStation's Spider-Man, which remains one of the most compelling reasons to get a PS5 in general. However, as you can see based on the trailer above, there's no mention of platforms whatsoever. There's also no mention of platforms on the Blade website, which describes the game as thus:

"In Marvel’s Blade, Eric Brooks is the legendary Daywalker, half-man, half-vampire torn between the warm society of the living and the rushing power of the undead. From Bethesda and Arkane Lyon, Marvel’s Blade is a mature, single-player, third-person game set in the heart of Paris, now in development in collaboration with Marvel Games."

The lack of information is puzzling. If Blade is Xbox exclusive, wouldn't Microsoft be yelling it from the rafters? If Blade isn't Xbox exclusive, isn't it just deceptive and seeding confusion by not telling people upfront? Either way, we've asked Microsoft to offer a comment and clarify, but here's a few possible scenarios.

• Microsoft and Disney are still in negotiations. Perhaps Microsoft and Disney are still negotiating over how much each will profit from the venture, and how much of a premium Microsoft may or may not have to pay for the exclusivity badge.
  • A previous leak suggested that Machine Games' and Disney's Indiana Jones game will be Xbox exclusive, but there's been absolutely no official confirmation yet on that either. And in fact, parts of that leak date back to 2020, and some of the information therein represents projects that no longer exist, and information that's really out of date.
  • Perhaps Microsoft thinks speculation over platforms will help drive discussion and thus viral marketing. I somehow doubt this, since right now it's just creating frustration and negative vibes — people don't know what to expect of the Xbox platform.
  • Perhaps it really is coming to PlayStation as well, and while it would be great for as many people to get to play the game possible, it would also just further erodes the Xbox platform's credibility and competitiveness.
  • Xbox previously used arguments in its Activision court cases that its games are more accessible than ever, with the affordable Xbox Series S, with Xbox Cloud Gaming on phones and TVs, Xbox Game Pass, and PC day-and-date launches.
  • It could also be this: Microsoft is still fighting the FTC over its Activision-Blizzard deal in the United States. The FTC's arguments hinge on the idea that Microsoft could "withhold" games from PlayStation, such as Call of Duty. Microsoft may be acting via an abundance of care as to not add fuel to the FTC's spurious arguments, given the fact that exclusive games are how companies compete in the console space.

In any case, the confusion threatens to overshadow the teaser trailer itself. Too often does it feel like Microsoft and Xbox announcements come with some kind of confusion or caveat attached, whereas Xbox's competitors are by and large far more consistent with messaging and delivery.

Microsoft and Xbox are consistently inconsistent

It was only last week that Microsoft created a wave of confusion when Tim Stuart, Xbox's CFO, claimed to Wells Fargo investors that Microsoft is essentially going to do a Sega and go third-party, with its first-party games coming to PlayStation alongside Xbox Game Pass. Then, in an exclusive interview with us, Xbox lead Phil Spencer suggested that isn't going to happen. But now, we're back to square one again.

Xbox-exclusive adventure game 'As Dusk Falls' was just rated for PlayStation in Taiwan, which has added further fuel to the idea that Xbox is gradually moving towards third-party publishing, over Xbox console exclusives. Xbox detractors salivate at the idea of Microsoft quitting the console race, and bringing their games to PlayStation (often while also simultaneously claiming Xbox games are bad and they don't want them, huh).

Xbox fans are also similarly nervous that Microsoft would eventually seek to go third-party and quit the hardware race, betraying decades of digital investment in Microsoft platforms. Microsoft is, of course, no stranger to pulling the rug out from under people (cough, Windows Phone, cough), and Microsoft's vast size and diverse portfolio makes them less dependent on any one department. If PlayStation shut down its console gaming division it would irreparably damage Sony. If Microsoft shut down its console gaming division, it wouldn't even be a blip on investors' radars.

Of course, these are extensive extrapolations from a single first-party game potentially going multiplatform. Microsoft is, of course, more multiplatform than ever already. With Activision-Blizzard now acquired, Microsoft becomes one of PlayStation's biggest customers, with Diablo, Overwatch, and Call of Duty in tow.

This could all also just be a consequence of the on-going FTC litigation, with Microsoft eager to not show that it wants to build exclusive games for the Xbox platform via its acquisitions — despite, of course, PlayStation and Nintendo doing exactly the same thing. Microsoft also hasn't confirmed if Hideo Kojima's "OD" is console exclusive to Xbox, either, and that's a second-party type deal. Microsoft could easily point to Death Stranding as an example of Sony signing those kinds of deals too.

What ever the truth may be, it's unfair that Xbox hardware fans have to live in this world of uncertainty, and something Microsoft should work to alleviate.

Season 6 Leslie GIF by Parks and Recreation

mdkirby

In the past when microsoft has done this with their trailers it has always ended up being multiplatform🤷‍♂️. They keep the uncertainty going as long as possible as the “maybe it’s exclusive” gets them mindshare. It’s a first party studio which I guess increases chance that it is exclusive, but it’s also a third party IP tied to an upcoming cinema release where the IP owner would be wanting it to get the most eyeballs to drive interest in the IP itself, where cutting out PlayStation would be dummmmb.

I guess we’ll see in due course.

Godot25

Banned
I would say that there is 10% chance that it's coming to PlayStation

I somehow refuse to believe that Microsoft went to Disney to renegotiate Indiana Jones contract to make game exclusive but they didn't do that for Blade? That would be strange.
Also, Indiana Jones also doesn't have target platforms announced, but thanks to FTC trial we know that game is exclusive.
And PlayStation socials didn't publish a peep about game reveal.

But on the other hand, I don't expect this game to be out until 2027, so it's pointless to speculate.

midnightAI

Doesn't really matter who's making it when it's Marvel's IP, they have the final say over this stuff. They're probably negotiating.
Why would they still be negotiating? I very much doubt they would agree to make the game (hence why development has started) and then still negotiate terms of that agreement afterwards. Both sides will know what platforms its coming out on, they just aren't saying for whatever reason (I wouldn't be shocked if it is coming to PS also, but also not shocked if its exclusive, but its in MS's best interest to at least make it seem like its exclusive either way, especially with people like Colt Eastwood spreading the word whether incorrect or not)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lots of speculation, here is some more.

Maybe Marvel don't want it on GamePass or want a massive amount to do so, and Microsoft haven't put the logos on so they don't have to admit that a first party game isn't coming to the service.

Or maybe related to the above, Microsoft are more than happy for it to go on PlayStation because they want the purchase money from PS and it adds perceived value to GamePass.

Or maybe Microsoft want to go cross platform and are using a Marvel property and associated license excuses to ease Xbox owners into this new model (I doubt this)

I think the reality is it is exclusive and like the OP mentions, they don't want to trigger FTC any more than necessary.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It will have this cartoony arkane style graphics right, like deathloop? Was it also Arkane that made Redfall (vampires)? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SaucyJack

Zero reason to put this on PS.

It is licensed ip so may be a licensing condition.

I'm inclined to believe that this will be multi platform purely because MS are more likely to lead us to believe that some is exclusive when it isn’t than not tell us when something is.

I expect it to be exclusive but it will announced much later because - literally the game has just started the development it seems and thus it will be complete after at least 4-5 years.

As with the Indiana Jones where they announced without platforms only for it to be revealed during FTC hearing, I think the case is the same with Blade. Especially with FTC still being an annoyance, trying to use Bethesda in its fight against ABK.

midnightAI

Lots of speculation, here is some more.

Maybe Marvel don't want it on GamePass or want a massive amount to do so, and Microsoft haven't put the logos on so they don't have to admit that a first party game isn't coming to the service.

Or maybe related to the above, Microsoft are more than happy for it to go on PlayStation because they want the purchase money from PS and it adds perceived value to GamePass.

Or maybe Microsoft want to go cross platform and are using a Marvel property and associated license excuses to ease Xbox owners into this new model (I doubt this)

I think the reality is it is exclusive and like the OP mentions, they don't want to trigger FTC any more than necessary.
I personally think that releasing on Gamepass day one and selling it full price on PlayStation could both be a win and a huge loss at the same time:
Win, they get loads of that lovely sales money
Loss, if its way more popular on PlayStation with sales outstripping Gamepass numbers that could be very embarrassing (playing games on Gamepass even though not strictly free is still perceived to be that way)

As for the FTC argument, unlikely, its done, I dont care about the appeal, that wont be successful (they rarely are).

Tommi84

If Marvrl wants actual sales than meaningless engaged players, they will put it on Playstation.

Unless MS gives them "blillions of reasons" not to, of course

midnightAI

Put it everywhere.

Don't see the need for exclusives.
You dont? so what is the point of multiple consoles? and if you think we only need one then which company should make it?

There is a very real need for exclusives, its what keeps competition high so they at least try to make decent upgrades each console generation

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
My personal opinion is that Marvel Games should not be exclusive to just one console and PC. The only exception being Spiderman and Sony technically own Spiderman(?).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I would like to think this is an exclusive as Marvel have signed exclusive deals with Sony on Spidy and Wolverine...but if it is not exclusive....it just goes to show the dire situation Microsoft is in.

This is the kind of Exclusives the platform needs to drive users to GamePass and the Xbox eco system.

Let's see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Why would Microsoft provide one of their own studios to make a PS game?

Money. They'd get a large percentage out of those sales. Sony San Diego was making MLB games exclusively for PlayStation until the league forced them to go multiplat or lose the license. Sony chose to continue making them despite having to develop it for both Switch and Xbox.

Godot25

Banned
Not PS5 strong…
Really?

I don't doubt that PlayStation is strong in Europe, but for example Germany is PC gaming land. And every country east of Germany too.

But i will give you countries like Spain and Italy.

But my point was. Claiming that game releases somehow needs PlayStation when Microsoft is releasing all their games on PC is just stupid argument. Because you can then argue, that Sony should start releasing their games on Switch to get a bigger grip in Japanese market.

Godot25

Banned
Money. They'd get a large percentage out of those sales. Sony San Diego was making MLB games exclusively for PlayStation until the league forced them to go multiplat or lose the license. Sony chose to continue making them despite having to develop it for both Switch and Xbox.
This argument is just stupid. Mainly because Disney allowed Indiana Jones to be exclusive. So it falls flat on it's face.

Disney cares about money. If Microsoft is willing to cover potential loss of PlayStation sales they have no reason to refuse.

Disney didn't even forced Sony to release Spider-Man everywhere. Sony chosed to release PC port.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

How do Microsoft ever win over customers if they take this approach. I'm not saying its not ruled out that it comes to Playstation, it could...and that would be even more damning to the Xbox console brand...but Maybe Microsoft doesn't care and is just after money. Which also makes sense.

Astray

Gold Member
I expect it to be exclusive but it will announced much later because - literally the game has just started the development it seems and thus it will be complete after at least 4-5 years.
That makes no sense.

Why would you announce it in front of 100m viewers with no mention of Xbox then decide to confirm its exclusivity in some press release later on? This is the same team that had their hands all over the Re: Fantazio trailer and didn't have PS branding on a game that is already confirmed to be a PS Crossgen title.

Even if they think it won't be ready for launch until the next gen Xbox is out, then they should have just slapped the Xbox brand on it regardless.

I think the reality is, Microsoft themselves still don't know the platform situation of this game and want to wait and see where best to put it depending on how things go.

Varteras

Gold Member
This argument is just stupid. Mainly because Disney allowed Indiana Jones to be exclusive.

Disney cares about money. If Microsoft is willing to cover potential loss of PlayStation sales they have no reason to refuse.

Disney didn't even forced Sony to release Spider-Man everywhere. Sony chosed to release PC port.

Not all deals are equal and things change.

Varteras

Gold Member
How do Microsoft ever win over customers if they take this approach. I'm not saying its not ruled out that it comes to Playstation, it could...and that would be even more damning to the Xbox console brand...but Maybe Microsoft doesn't care and is just after money. Which also makes sense.

They've been trying to win over customers for over 20 years. As far behind as they are, they may be thinking about how to make money off their investments for now.

Top Bottom