• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

martino

I... I can't understand that at all. Why buy a new GPU which costs 350$ for only 15-40% faster framerates? 15% isn't noticeably faster, its just a bit faster (7,5 FPS).

Yeah the game is demanding but not because of the graphics or the crowds but because its unoptimized. The game looks like a blurry mess, there are many low res textures and pop-ins, every NPCs acts and looks the same, what's so special about the games graphics? The lighting is good indoors but that's really it.

@Durante well, if you show me a 7770 with a intel i3 CPU (Sandy Bridge no hyper threading) which is similar to a Xbox One, if that archieves the same FPS I will believe you

is it different on ps4/xbone ? i will help you : no
and to understand you need to be take a little interest in tech aspect , for real

Assassins creed unity 45-50 fps gtx 780

Dragon age inquisition gets 45 average with a 780ti

Hmm . . .I wonder whats going on here

Well, the benchmarks from PCGamesHardware are without optimized drivers and with 4xMSAA everything maxed out which is extremly demanding. While a GTX 780 archieves 40 FPS with only FXAA and lower settings in AC Unity. Dragon Age is massively better optimized.

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry but 780ti should be able to deadlift 5 ps4s.

40fps?!?!?! no txaa?

If nvidia don't put a million gb vram on their next card pc gaming is dead.

They'll need to be 100x as powerful to get the same performance due to shitty dev optimization.

I don't even give a shit if this is FUD. 40fps and no txaa?? For AC??

Kezen

Banned
I... I can't understand that at all. Why buy a new GPU which costs 350$ for only 15-40% faster framerates? 15% isn't noticeably faster, its just a bit faster (7,5 FPS).

Yeah the game is demanding but not because of the graphics or the crowds but because its unoptimized. The game looks like a blurry mess, there are many low res textures and pop-ins, every NPCs acts and looks the same, what's so special about the games graphics? The lighting is good indoors but that's really it.

Oh my God...

UnrealEck

40fps?!?!?! no txaa?

They'll need to be 100x as powerful to get the same performance due to shitty dev optimization.

Indeed. PS4 too stronk.
Too much GDDR5's

So I got this game free as part of the Nvidia game thing so I can't complain too much but holy shit are UPlay's download speeds complete shit.

There was no preload and it's saying 14 hours until it's finished.

Kezen

Banned
Interesting...

Believe me, I don't like this kind of answer but it's pretty clear that you understand nothing about tech or PC gaming.
Peruse this :
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag utilized an upgraded version of Ubisoft's AnvilNext graphics engine, first debuted on PC in Assassin's Creed III. For Black Flag, the engine received a variety of significant upgrades, including pre-baked Global Illumination, volumetric fog, dynamic weather, and dynamic foliage to name but a few examples. For Unity there has been a similar upgrade, with Physically Based Rendering (PBR) being the stand-out addition, enabling materials, objects and surfaces to look and react more realistically to lighting, shading and shadowing. Furthermore, the Global Illumination system is now more realistic with the addition of volumetric technology, physics-led objects react more realistically, and cloth behaves in a realistic manner on the protagonist, in the environment, and on other characters. The world now supports larger landmasses, more objects, bigger buildings, building interiors that can be accessed without loading screens, and many other additions that enhance visual fidelity, immersion, and the gameplay.

LOD is a problem....

Just look how plain the "grass" looks on the right side. And that building.... wtf

15145290783_a2de7af9bc_o.jpg

As is, the game is unplayable @ 2560x1440, no AA, maxed. Frame rate is quite low with some serious stuttuers. During off the contact hardening shadows doesn't hekp m uch. I'm going to have to turn some other settings down :(

This is with a single 980 and the latest drivers.

SliChillax

It uses over 6GB of VRAM.
Please for the love of science bear in mind though that this isn't a necessity. Some games these days make use of what you have to offer them. 4GB is enough. 2GB is enough. It all depends on the settings you want.

I want max everything. Not even bothering with this until the 8GB GTX cards come out.

Genio88

The guide by AndyBNV on geforce.com suggests the following settings for a 770 to keep above 40fps:

YIehewI.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-unity-graphics-and-performance-guide

The main problem for Nvidia cards here is the low amount of VRAM they have in their card, a GTX 780 is about as fast as a GTX 970, while a GTX 780ti is even faster than the GTX 970, though they suggest to low texture quality and atialiasing on both the 700 gen cards due to the only 3GB of VRAM available versus the 4 of the 900 serie...
Thankfully almost one years ago when i had to choose between a GTX 780 3GB and a r9 290 4GB, which are almost the same in performance, i've chosen the AMD one, now i guess i can obtain the same performance of a GTX 970 in that table, that's great.

Believe me, I don't like this kind of answer but it's pretty clear that you understand nothing about tech or PC gaming.

Why? Because 15% more performance won't transfer directly in FPS? I already know that. I just talk about theoretically gains

Edit: Yeah, that's pretty much PR. Look at the screenshot Jim posted. The LOD is laughable and the Global illumination just shines indoors.

Kezen

Banned
I want max everything.
Then why the 680 at 1440p ? It seems you don't know what max settings are there for.

Why? Because 15% more performance won't transfer directly in FPS? I already know that. I just talk about theoretically gains
I was alluding to your Unity graphical assessment, there is more than meets the eye, yours especially.

Yeah, I think people are missing that part. They see mediocre performance numbers and assume bad port when, in reality, the problem goes deeper. If anything it seems to be running better on the PC with hardware similar to the consoles.

Thank you! Why is it so hard for people to understand that simple fact?

dmr87

Quick note from TotalBiscuit

Can't sleep and Unity is out so lemme tell you about my experience so far. I only got access to code yesterday so I'm not that far in but there's a promised Day 1 patch that by the looks of it is SORELY needed. Getting that game to run on max settings is a nightmare, it's a huge resource hog. My 2 980s barely keep up. In the small tutorial area I was looking at some nasty drops one 1 980, prior to Nvidia putting in an SLI profile.

As it stands I can JUST keep it at 60, though it has some drops below at times. The game doesn't really look like it justifies that. It has some killer popin, just like Watchdogs did, actors very obviously and inconspicuously switch between detail levels depending on your distance to them and often just appear out of nowhere and disappear at random.

Lighting is glitchy as hell and overall texture quality is poor. I will say the faces and mo-cap quality is excellent, it actually has a kiss that doesn't look like 2 robots rubbing their faces together, so there's that. The problem that I had yesterday was just the MASS of bugs. Guards spawning in from the sky, NPC actors wandering through terrain and clipping through objects, scripted sequences breaking at random and stealth seems like it's just busted.

I had a guy spot me in a stealth section, run up to me as I was standing and then "lose track" of me. I was right in front of his face, he just wandered off. Thus far the game seems like quite the step backwards. Combat feels much more sluggish than Black Flag, but I admit I have yet to unlock a lot of the weapons and gadgets, I'm not that far in. So I don't have much to say about the gameplay up to this point (its been super standard Asscreed stuff) but this Day 1 patch is sorely needed, because the game without it is a buggy mess.

Genio88

40fps?!?!?! no txaa?

The problem with the 780ti is the VRAM available, just 3GB, Nvidia went completely wrong with their 700 series, putting there just 3GB, unlike AMD which gave us 4GB already at that time, Though if you have a 6GB 780ti you can run the game as good as a GTX 980

Quick note from TotalBiscuit
After reading the Nvidia, guide, TotalBiscuit's opinion and the bad performance on consoles, this game just looks to be a terrible mess overall.

Somebody somewhere messed up when he decided to design the game around the concept of "thousands of NPCs"

SliChillax

Then why the 680 at 1440p ? It seems you don't know what max settings are there for.

It seems that you are missing the point. I'm not demanding my 680 to run this at max, I was asking how much Vram it uses at max settings so I know what to buy in the coming months.

Skyzard

Banned
The problem with the 780ti is the VRAM available, just 3GB, Nvidia went completely wrong with their 700 series, putting there just 3GB, unlike AMD which gave us 4GB already at that time, Though if you have a 6GB 780ti you can run the game as good as a GTX 980

If there was a 6GB 780ti I'd have bought it! :p

Amazon letting me return this 780ti due to poor performance for price, I have a year. Will save that return for when Nvidia fixes up.

Seanspeed

Banned
Somebody somewhere messed up when he decided to design the game around the concept of "thousands of NPCs"

Sho Nuff's post in the other AC thread - had to repost it here:

I imagine some low level engine programmer having this conversation with the lead designer:

Programmer: Sir, we've added the last few thousand protestors to the riot scene...
Designer: Good, good. Does it look realistic yet? Is the protagonist literally elbow to elbow with a sea of human dregs?
Prog: ...well, not quite, but sir the risk...
Des: What?!? Add another thousand. No, two thousand!
Prog: The engine, she won't hold sir. She's at her limits already! It's enough.
Des: *Grabs him by the shirt collar* I'll tell you when she's had enough. Get me my three thousand NPCs, or I'll find someone who will. Are we clear?
Prog: Crystal, sir.

Damian.

Banned
So I got this game free as part of the Nvidia game thing so I can't complain too much but holy shit are UPlay's download speeds complete shit.

There was no preload and it's saying 14 hours until it's finished.

I'm getting about 11MB/s which is a bit faster than my connection should be getting, same goes for all uPlay downloads for me. Maybe your ISP is throttling you.

Will be testing this out on a 2600k@4.5|970@980 levels tonight. From reading everything I am surprised people are still saying it's a shitty Ubisoft port, this looks nothing like the horse shit of past Ubi games with single thread heavy engines or games that can't achieve 60fps no matter how much power you throw at the problem.

Look at the consoles performance, it's terrible. At least the PC platform scales well with high end hardware this time. This should be praised!

Renekton

Smokey and Durante saw this coming a mile away.

Don't say we weren't warned long ago.

ISee

We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin’s Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations. This should not affect the vast majority of PC players, but rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available.

Source: UbiJohkr - Ubisoft Community Manager

Maybe people with AMD hardware should wait for further clarifications before buying this on PC.

The attitude in here change since I went to bed last night. Doesn't sound to great. I ended up picking this game with the Nvidia promotion because I had a morbid curiosity of how it would turn out. Have those videos with mid tier hardware running the game at playable framerates with medium settings been debunked?

Bor

Neo Member
LOD is a problem....

Just look how plain the "grass" looks on the right side. And that building.... wtf

15145290783_a2de7af9bc_o.jpg

As is, the game is unplayable @ 2560x1440, no AA, maxed. Frame rate is quite low with some serious stuttuers. During off the contact hardening shadows doesn't hekp m uch. I'm going to have to turn some other settings down :(

This is with a single 980 and the latest drivers.

Wtf is going on with the building in the back? Another house on the roof of the first one, with a ladder /steps coming from nowhere? And the textures..

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm getting about 11MB/s which is a bit faster than my connection should be getting, same goes for all uPlay downloads for me. Maybe your ISP is throttling you.

Will be testing this out on a 2600k@4.5|970@980 levels tonight. From reading everything I am surprised people are still saying it's a shitty Ubisoft port, this looks nothing like the horse shit of past Ubi games with single thread heavy engines or games that can't achieve 60fps no matter how much power you throw at the problem.

Look at the consoles performance, it's terrible. At least the PC platform scales well with high end hardware this time. This should be praised!
It might a decent port job, but I'm not going to praise the game's performance, sorry. It seems excessively demanding for what the final output is. There may be valid reasons for why it runs the way it does and it may not necessarily be 'unoptimized', either. That doesn't mean they didn't make a lot of bad choices to get here, though.

I bet if you took a poll and asked how many people would take a halving of NPC counts for a respectable increase in performance, people would be all for it. Or maybe if there was some breakthrough in CPU performance on the near horizon, we could chalk it up to being 'ahead of its time', but that's not really the case.

Bottom line, some people want to enjoy *playing* the game and that's made difficult with a violently inconsistent and demanding framerate. Another example of why I fully support the push for 60fps console games, so we can at least get an emphasis on playability before thinking about tacking on the shiny.

Top Bottom