• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sold 1 million units in Germany

Haunted

What's the size of the PC market, relative to console players?

Acording to that, consoles make up 46%.

I think we had another thread that had PC gaming pegged at an even higher percentage, but my cursory search brought up this picture first. In any case, it's a different distribution compared to other countries, especially the US.

I'm ok with those numbers.

I often hear people in the US saying that we're exaggerating the criticism and failure of the XB1 because they see a different picture in their own country. XB1 is fucking done in continental Europe, especially so in German.

Outside of the US it's pretty much been Dreamcasted. Which is why the noise over Xbox maybe selling more for one or two months is so amplified here. It's honestly the only battle left.

80 million people and only 1.1 million (PS4+Xbox1) consoles sold in Germany. WTF? Do people just not play games there?

I read somewhere that Germany has a videogame market comparable to the UK, but it's more gravitated towards PC, while in the UK they shy away from PC and embrace console gaming.

Haunted

Outside of the US it's pretty much been Dreamcasted. Which is why the noise over Xbox maybe selling more for one or two months is so amplified here. It's honestly the only battle left.
Completely agreed.

This warped perspective (of the XB1 doing "ok") is always going to be amplified on GAF since it's US-based and NPD is the "de facto" sales thread every month, but it's important to be able to take a step back and look at the global perspective as well.

Acording to that, consoles make up 46%

Do we have numbers about what countries have the highest percentage of the population playing games? 1.1 million consoles equating to 46% of the games played seems like Germany isn't as big of a gaming country as the US.

Completely agreed.

This warped perspective (of the XB1 doing "ok") is always going to be amplified on GAF since it's US-based and NPD is the "de facto" sales thread every month, but it's important to be able to take a step back and look at the global perspective as well.

What percentage of total consoles sales are in the US? It's well over 50%, isn't it?

ec0ec0

Completely agreed.

the problem that GAF has is:

Whatever!! Murica = World!! :p

look at his user name :p

i know, probably, he was joking

Haunted

Do we have numbers about what countries have the highest percentage of the population playing games? 1.1 million consoles equating to 46% of the games played seems like Germany isn't as big of a gaming country as the US.

What percentage of total consoles sales are in the US? It's well over 50%, isn't it?
I don't know. Googling "global gaming market" and related brings up pictures like these.

Newzoo_Global_Game_Revenues_2014_ori.jpg

No idea how reliable "newzoo" is, though.

gtj1092

Over 50% for Xbox but about a third for PlayStation. Also what's your point that these million consoles somehow don't count?

Chariot

Acording to that, consoles make up 46%.

I think we had another thread that had PC gaming pegged at an even higher percentage, but my cursory search brought up this picture first. In any case, it's a different distribution compared to other countries, especially the US.
This is just earnings. Given that PC gamers usually buy cheaper than console gamers (this is just sold games, not what the rig costs) this is a big warp. And there are a lot of games on PC that take so much time that people don't have to play anything else like grand strategy games, mobas and MMORPGs.

Fdkn

Wait, doesn't this refute what people just said about PC being more popular than consoles in Germany?

Is not about being more popular than consoles. Its about PC taking a bigger chunk of marketshare from them that in other countries.

The graph is PC vs PS4+PS3+XB1+360+WiiU+Wii, so actually PC may be the bigger platform if you look at them individually

Jack cw

Can you post the entire press release or link to it?

Thanks.

Press release came via email from SCEE with a PDF in it. I just copied the first passage and I can't make the rest or the PDF public. Sorry. But I guess every registred press outlet in Germany recieved that release yesterday. It's legit.

Biker19

Banned
Nice. Keep em coming Sony. Build that install base. The quicker we rid ourselves of cross gen games, the better.

Yep, I agree.

That's what happens in markets where you already traditionally struggle when you forget you're supposed to sell a global product. "TV TV TV" doesn't sell many game consoles out here.

SCE has branches and dedicated resources in many smaller markets throughout Europe and the rest of the world where Microsoft doesn't even make a serious effort. They may be small markets individually, but when you add all those up you get the largest market share in the world.

This. It's all Microsoft's fault.

And the fact that the higher price tag, the awful marketing towards consumers outside of the U.S., the NSA debacle, & the DRM/"No Used Game" scandals didn't help much at all, either.

quetz67

Banned
80 million people and only 1.1 million (PS4+Xbox1) consoles sold in Germany. WTF? Do people just not play games there?

That is a quarter of the population of the USA. What about them just making the generational leap a little later? Or just not being able to grab a PS4 in its first holiday season?

Is not about being more popular than consoles. Its about PC taking a bigger chunk of marketshare from them that in other countries.

Yes. China online game market alone is $10B+/year market. With players like Tencent, Netease, Nexon, Changyou, Shanda etc making billions of $$$ every year from selling MMO virtual items.

quetz67

Banned
Haha...a friend switched from 360 to PS4 because Fifa 15 was so buggy. Don't know if it was on PS3 too, but I sure did not bring that up *lol*

That seems very impressive for Germany in that timeframe, and the comparisons to Wii U and XB1 are not pretty even if they are a few months old

DieH@rd

Banned

1 million is willing to pay for PS4 at its current price. Many more will join up when prices go down [somewhere around ~80% of the PS3 sales happened when it was priced 350€ or below].

This is a long race.

EloKa

The Xbox One numbers are for 2014 only, I think?

Edit: Nope!

nope, those are life time sales.
the xbox one was pretty much dead on arrival in germany even though the 360 did pretty well

Edit: remember watching the xbox one presentation with some mates in teamspeak and everyone was amazed how bad the xbox was in regards to the german market. None of the features were designed to work here and how they managed to included everything that was disliked by germans

haveheart

Banned

The graph is PC vs PS4+PS3+XB1+360+WiiU+Wii, so actually PC may be the bigger platform if you look at them individually

The KIM and JIM study clears that up - or at least tries to, it's survey techniques are pretty bad regarding videogames.

Nevertheless, it is one of the most influental and respected surveys about media usage and what's most important: it's representative.

nmbaQQu.png

The second and fourth bar represent PC gaming, on- and offline. The third bar is console gaming (where they don't differentiate between on- and offline).

murgo

Nice! I'm one of them :)

Xbox is dead here. I know exactly one person with an XO, yet more than 10 with PS4's.

Ah ok, sorry about that.

Sales ratio is 1:3, but only if you use LTD numbers up to June 2014 and exclude Wii U.

This was YTD up to June:

Since then, PS4 sold another 460K units. So right now, I expect that XB1 sells worse than 1:3 compared to PS4.
I wonder if kinectless sku has made a difference though....
I would guess X1 is somewhere between 250-300 right now, which is under 3-1 but better than 4-1
Great job by PS4 though!! Beasting!!

Nice! I'm one of them :)

Xbox is dead here. I know exactly one person with an XO, yet more than 10 with PS4's.

I know absolutely no one here in Germany personally that has an X1. All my friends have already bought a PS4 or waiting for a special Game on PS4 to jump in.

I've got my first PS4 on day one delivered from Amazon, and gave it to my brother on his Birthday and bought me a new white PS4.

Jack cw

I would guess X1 is somewhere between 250-300 right now, which is under 3-1 but better than 4-1

I don't have access to the data but I believe that the kinectless sku did close to nothing. Microsoft even took out skus from stuffed channels to switch them into tier 2 country launches. The thing simply wont sell in Germany.

Xando

I would think its still below 250k (not by much) if you look at the Pal charts it looks like Xbox 1 died in the summer and if software sales are any indication hw sales probably took a deep dive.

Blablurn

So all the "Germany is PC" talk is nonsense and it's more like "Germany is Console/PC"?
Nice!

Or "Germany is Sonyland"

I know it doesnt mean much but I made this photo today

B2zAS1fIIAEfaQe.jpg:large

The were more PS4s somewhere else in the store but even that bunch was way smaller than a couple of days ago. The thirst is real.

EGM1966

I struggle to imagine it's any higher than 250k tops. The new sky would have to have really increased sales for it to Jo that far. Pretty sure there was little sign of demand changing much from the PAL charts threads so again I doubt it's made more than a small bump.

Gap is more likely to be closer to 4:1 tha 3:1 I reckon.

Either way it's splitting hairs on various levels of being beaten badly so far.

That's not possible.
The Xbox One was at 170k during August 2014.
And a lot of people in Tier 2 EU countries imported their consoles through germany.
Without them, it would be even lower than. 170k.
So I'm pretty sure the Xbox One won't even reach 200k when 2014 ends.

Or "Germany is Sonyland"

I know it doesnt mean much but I made this photo today

B2zAS1fIIAEfaQe.jpg:large

The were more PS4s somewhere else in the store but even that bunch was way smaller than a couple of days ago. The thirst is real.

I want to see how many copies of Knack are still on the shelf.

Looking good.

Hopefully this is accurate because I'm gonna be bringing this up at parties.

When I was in secondary school in germany (1994-2001) nobody in my class had a console and everyone of the boys was playing pc games and had his own pc from 13 years on. My guess though would be that only every third or fourth game was actually boughtand not "shared simultaneously among friends"... Also nobody cared about day1 and probably 2 out of 3 bought games were bargain-buys.

X-com (UFO - Enemy Unknown), Tie Fighter and C&C and later Quake were the games EVERYone in my class was playing.

Top Bottom