• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Varna

Am I nuts for preferring FXAA to all the other AA options? The texture work isn't really all that amazing so I don't feel like I'm obscuring some amazing details. Even TXAA 2 or 4 have some spotty area (not to mention incredibly bad shadows). Getting pretty consistent 70+ FPS with everything maxed as well.

Skyzard

Banned
What,s the easiest way to lock the frames to 30 with a NVIDIA card? Inspector?

I heard RTSS was the best way to get consistent frametimes.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

It's super easy:
MRWDFIj.png

JRW

What,s the easiest way to lock the frames to 30 with a NVIDIA card? Inspector?

What a trip I was just coming here to ask the same thing.. I give up on trying to achieve 60fps lol (but i'd be fine with a steady 30).

Ill have to give Rivatuner a try.

Cool thanks... I just can't get stable 60fps no matter what I try so might as well lock it to 30 ... Better than nothing.
Yeah been thinking of doing this as well but GAF has convinced me that 60fps is a must. I keep getting 50-60fps (sometimes drops into 40s).
Will try it at 30fps and see how I like it

stufte

This fucking guy................................................. Knows what he's talking about. MY MAN!
0x082088F5, resolves the black crush. It also apparently locks fps to 60. At the setting i'm currently running with my 670's, I occasionally drop below... but the ceiling is 60. Nonetheless, high fidelity only my 670's & no black crush.

Thanks dude.

edit: actually, while 0x082088F5 eliminates black crush... it severely impacts image quality. back to running a single gpu...

Yah I also ran into some odd shadow/texture bugs using this fix. I could swear I didn't have crushed blacks when I initially started the game for the first time. Oh well.

Skyzard

Banned
No worries.

60fps is a must for me if the game is very competitive.

I'm playing this with a controller :p

It's not bad with a mouse when if you get it stable.

you can lock it in the options of the game if you want its under advanced options in video. set the v-sync mode to "sparse"? I think?

For me this gives me huge input delay, I've set triple buffering to off and max frame renders to 1.

CND

Neo Member
If you use v-sync and want 30 FPS, please use 1/2 refresh rate in your nVidia control panel.
This will help reduce micro-stutter.

Coflash

Yah I also ran into some odd shadow/texture bugs using this fix. I could swear I didn't have crushed blacks when I initially started the game for the first time. Oh well.

When I first played it, it didn't have an SLI profile, so it was fine

Then I updated to the latest nVidias which added SLI and I got the shadow bug

But that fix, what issues are you guys having? Maybe I just haven't noticed them yet, it seems to work fine. It also eliminated some glass/water glitches I was having.

You'd think after AC:U that they'd be all over this release.

CND

Neo Member
So enable 30fps on RivaTuner, set 1/2 refresh rate on nvidia cp, turn v-sync on or off in game then?

When you set v-sync to 1/2 refresh rate, I think you will find it is completely irrelevant whether v-sync is enabled in the game (i.e., it overrides it at the driver level).

You shouldn't need to cap it via Rivatuner..that would be redundant.

Spoo

Ran into 2 real nasty bugs so far. The first is, the soft landing skill is attached to completing two outposts without detection -- something I've done 5 times now, and the skill still can't be purchased. So progression bug there. It's difficult to even retry it too, because...

Using the outpost replay option will 100% of the time result in a black screen after a load, with some GUI elements, but otherwise forcing a restart.

Yikes.

Coflash

Yep, I get that black screen after load on outposts too.

Also, weapons in shops often show up with 'Undefined' as their names.

Vitor711

Disabling mipmap got rid of the stutter but I still have GPu utilization drops whenever I'm in an area with a lot of NPCs/soldiers (i.e. towns and forts).

I like to play stealthy so it's not a huge issue but there's no way my 980m and i7-4810MQ should be having these sorts of bottlenecks. Playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and I get 99% GPU load constantly, none of the weird 75% drops I'm experiencing here.

Tainted

I havent been able to launch the game since Tuesday, hopefully the 1.4.0 patch fixes the 'Farcry 4 has stopped working' issue as well

rBose

Banned
Doubtful. The stuttering is exhibited on g-sync which doesn't even use v-sync, rendering this setting moot.

The stuttering is some sort of performance bottleneck probably associated with the dx11 renderer. It looks very similar to FC3 stuttering, which could only be fixed by switching to DX9.

Im gonna try that right now + some tests with mipmap on and off on different texture quality

JRW

Wow the DisableLoadingMip really does work, I don't care if it's lowering texture quality in the process for now.. The game is more enjoyable without it hitching & pausing all the time.

Jtrizzy

Yeah I'm gonna have to shelve this one for a while. The stuttering is ridiculous. Seems like a 970 would rip this to shreds.

rBose

Banned
Wow the DisableLoadingMip really does work, I don't care if it's lowering texture quality in the process for now.. The game is more enjoyable without it hitching & pausing all the time.

I made different tests on numerous texture levels with mipmap on and off and setting the MipMap to 1 and textures to Ultra is equal to setting Medium textures with MipMap set to 0

:(

fanboi

Banned
I made different tests on numerous texture levels with mipmap on and off and setting the MipMap to 1 and textures to Ultra is equal to setting Medium textures with MipMap set to 0

Did you set the file to read only? I Believe you need to do this otherwise the game will override the file when you start it.

rBose

Banned
Did you set the file to read only? I Believe you need to do this otherwise the game will override the file when you start it.

Ill do that right now

LE: Nah.. same result.

So setting the textures to medium with mipmap to 0 or textures to ultra with mipmap 1 is the same thing basically ( your textures will have medium quality )

Doing it on single and SLI for me, tried with both and this game is so damn dark! Like outside for example in the daylight, I go behind a tree and stand in the shadow its like a blackout no joke, not in a realistic sense either.

Is this a bug? Because between the shadows and night time being so dark I can't see anything - to the god-rays causing like a yellow fog everywhere, like my gamma/brightness is turned up, I'm not sure what is meant to be gameplay or not.

I can deal with the yellow fog, but the blackness at night is unplayable - run around bumping into trees. :p

EDIT: Also the LOD of shadows seems out of whack - I get shadow pop-ins etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ill do that right now

LE: Nah.. same result.

So setting the textures to medium with mipmap to 0 or textures to ultra with mipmap 1 is the same thing basically ( your textures will have medium quality )

I'm not seeing a difference. Ultra with DisableLoadingMip0 to 1:

Ultra with DisableLoadingMip0 set to 0:

The texture setting actually set to Medium:

You'll have to excuse my rough attempts at recreating the first screenshot in terms of positioning, but you can see in the Medium screenshot that there's a noticeable loss of finer detail in the more prominent rocks.

Edit: Taking those screenshots has reminded me of how much I absolutely loathe checkpoints before cutscenes. Every single time I load up the game I have to sit through a ~one-minute dialogue with that Kyrat Films woman.

I think the setting disables the "mipmap 0", meaning the biggest texture available in the pool.

This means that when you are very close to a texture you don't see the highest detail.

But these textures are only loaded when you are really close. Otherwise quality should be preserved for all the other textures that you see.

Up close = medium textures at max. But for textures that aren't immediately near you the quality should be equal to "ultra" textures.

Wtf I just found out that FarCry 4 is region locked, meaning it costs $75 here in Aus... It gets worse, because Steam charges in USD that means that it will cost like $83. Fuck

elfinke

GMG is Uplay. Upon further reading it seems certain regions are locked, I think someone from the US can gift it to AUS but not sure?

Oh, I hadn't considered an anti-UPlay stance (wasn't even aware FC4 not via UPlay was a thing)It's not. Never mind then! /edit: even purchasing through Steam requires UPlay though, doesn't it? What's wrong with the GMG option? I'm umming and ahhing over it right now, my 6950/70 is the only thing making me reconsider.

I haven't played FC4 yet, but I found a weird temporary fix for FC3's stuttering that seemed to work consistently. All I did was go into the options when I noticed stuttering and change the pre-rendered frames to another number, exit out of the menu and then go right back and revert the setting. After I did that the stuttering would be gone for an indeterminate amount of time and when it did happen again it was only a two second fix in the menu.

It's a damn shame to hear that the sequel has stuttering even after they eventually fixed it in FC3. Maybe the fix will work in this one too.

Oh, I hadn't considered an anti-UPlay stance (wasn't even aware FC4 not via UPlay was a thing)It's not. Never mind then! /edit: even purchasing through Steam requires UPlay though, doesn't it? What's wrong with the GMG option? I'm umming and ahhing over it right now, my 6950/70 is the only thing making me reconsider.

I don't want to buy games using the Uplay client only, I've built up an ecosystem with Steam so I get my games there.

Yeah this stuttering is ridiculous when I'm playing with a 970 and an i5 2500k @ 4.3 ghz. I've tried the mipmap change, adaptive full and half vsync through the nvidia control panel, all vsync options in-game, triple buffering via in-game and the ncp, capping my frame rate in riva, nothing fixes it.

If I go near a shadowy tree area and side-strafe, it's just terrible. Ubisoft why :/. It took ages for them to fix it in FC3. It's so startling to go from a fluid 60 fps to stuttering.

Edit: Not touching anything at all except turning on adaptive sync in the ncp has removed most of the stuttering. It's still there a bit, but I'll mess around more with it. So far this is a fantastic game hindered by a little nagging problem.

riflen

I believe GPU Max Buffered Frames should be 3 in almost all cases. You shouldn't use a lower value unless the game you're playing is extremely trivial for your machine to run. Even then, it doesn't make much sense to set.
Setting it lower than 3 can cause pausing or hitching as it prevents the GPU from working if the CPU is busy. You're forcing the GPU to deliver frames just in time to be displayed and it can cause low GPU usage in some CPU limited situations. The maximum value is 5.

I believe this setting has no effect when you enable SLI mode. SLI AFR mode requires the buffering of frames to be effective and the setting is probably controlled by the game in AFR mode.

If I go near a shadowy tree area and side-strafe, it's just terrible. Ubisoft why :/. It took ages for them to fix it in FC3. It's so startling to go from a fluid 60 fps to stuttering

That's micro-stuttering, not the stuttering that happens when you move between places.

To fix micro-stuttering you can try to cap fps exactly at 30 (just to see if it's fixed). The micro-stuttering may depend on the fact the game internally has a clock that goes 30 fps, and so it handles poorly if you are above 30.

For example, if I cap framerate at 35, I get a lot of stuttering. Yet if I cap it at 30 the stuttering goes completely away.

I know that at 30 fps goes away. It's possible that also at 60 it goes away. Set your monitor at 60hz. Cap framerate at 60. If you go above 60 stuttering will show, but if you are at fixed 60 it should go away.

In my case setting the monitor at 60hz and capping framerate at 30 the stuttering is completely gone, whether or not I enable vsynch.

That's micro-stuttering, not the stuttering that happens when you move between places.

To fix micro-stuttering you can try to cap fps exactly at 30 (just to see if it's fixed). The micro-stuttering may depend on the fact the game internally has a clock that goes 30 fps, and so it handles poorly if you are above 30.

For example, if I cap framerate at 35, I get a lot of stuttering. Yet if I cap it at 30 the stuttering goes completely away.

I know that at 30 fps goes away. It's possible that also at 60 it goes away. Set your monitor at 60hz. Cap framerate at 60. If you go above 60 stuttering will show, but if you are at fixed 60 it should go away.

In my case setting the monitor at 60hz and capping framerate at 30 the stuttering is completely gone, whether or not I enable vsynch.

Hmmm thanks, I will try that. Makes a lot of sense. My monitor is already at 60hz so I'll lock it to 60 with adaptive on. I got pretty jumbled trying out 12 different combinations of settings lol.

daninthemix

I believe GPU Max Buffered Frames should be 3 in almost all cases. You shouldn't use a lower value unless the game you're playing is extremely trivial for your machine to run. Even then, it doesn't make much sense to set.
Setting it lower than 3 can cause pausing or hitching as it prevents the GPU from working if the CPU is busy. You're forcing the GPU to deliver frames just in time to be displayed and it can cause low GPU usage in some CPU limited situations. The maximum value is 5.

I believe this setting has no effect when you enable SLI mode. SLI AFR mode requires the buffering of frames to be effective and is probably controlled by the game in AFR mode.

3 might feel a bit laggy for some, but I certainly remember 2 fixing all stuttering in FC3 for me.

Top Bottom