• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

hc2

AlphaTwo00 said:
Don't worry, I've been waiting for 2 weeks now.

Just to double check, you didn't by chance get the mailing label by email, did you?
Entered my repair request online on 11/24. Got the box 11/26, sent it off. Received a replacement on 12/3. From Augusta, GA to Mesquite, TX and back. Did have to call and get the tracking number, it never showed up.

hc2 said:
Just to double check, you didn't by chance get the mailing label by email, did you?
Entered my repair request online on 11/24. Got the box 11/26, sent it off. Received a replacement on 12/3. From Augusta, GA to Mesquite, TX and back. Did have to call and get the tracking number, it never showed up.
Nope.

I've had no e-mail either.

This morning (14 days after the initial repair online request) I received a call from MS saying that they've escalated this repair on their side, and there's some technically diffcuties with recent repair requests. The rep on the phone has promised to ship the box by Tuesday.

Hey, at least I'm not getting left in the dark.

Dang India support. I could understand him, but heck if he could understand me. "I live on Boren Avenue, that's B-o-r-e-n." "Boren, is that two words?" "Uh, no, it's Boren, B-o-r-e-n." "I understand, Borden Avenue, B-o-r-d-e-n..." And then he wanted to spell Suite s-w-e-e-t...

He tried to tell me they no longer send out coffins, only email shipping labels, I had to argue with him before he would agree to send out the box (I have no box, no printer, so would have to pay for both [because he recommended going to an internet cafe to print out the label], shouldn't that be covered by the warranty? He gave in)

freshair

All this RROD business is making me fearful of my recently purchased Pro holiday bundle.
Anything a new owner can do to minimize the chances of getting the ring? :lol

You shouldn't need to worry about it. First off, you just got a brand new Xbox, which means it'll have at least some redesigns inside to help prevent the RRoD. And second, I had my original-design Xbox 360 for almost three years before it went tits-up today.

And really, the only tip that you can do is not block the air vents or put it on/under anything that gets hot (like another electronic device). But even that isn't a guarantee, my Xbox 360 sits by itself on an open-grill shelf (so even the bottom of my Xbox wasn't blocked by anything), and it still died (and not from overheating, it was working perfectly when I used it a few days ago to play a simple 2D Live Arcade game, turned it on this morning, instant RRoD)

freshair said:
All this RROD business is making me fearful of my recently purchased Pro holiday bundle.
Anything a new owner can do to minimize the chances of getting the ring? :lol
Check the date. Find out when it's made.

Keep it ventilated. That's the best tip.

My 360 just died... well is hours away from death. The blue checkers are showing up, so it's only a matter of short time now. I already called and got the process started. Since this is my THIRD 360 I tried to see if I could get them to give me a new Jasper unit or something, and... well let's just say they weren't going for it.

Does anybody have the higher-ups information? I don't mind spendnig a bit more time escalating this further, but the girl on the phone wouldn't give me her manager's information. I'm probably just going to buy a brand new arcade, and sell this one when it comes back from repairs.

Minyobi

I barely post as it is, and I sure as hell had no intentions of posting in this thread because I bought my (first) 360 7 months ago, and it was immune to um...dying.

My 360 is dead.

Now, I do have a Best Buy 2 year guarantee, so I wonder what hoops I am going have to jump through to get anything out of em.

I'd be happier to get a gift card out of Best Buy than another 360, to tell the truth...

Magik

Minyobi said:
I barely post as it is, and I sure as hell had no intentions of posting in this thread because I bought my (first) 360 7 months ago, and it was immune to um...dying.

My 360 is dead.

Now, I do have a Best Buy 2 year guarantee, so I wonder what hoops I am going have to jump through to get anything out of em.

I'd be happier to get a gift card out of Best Buy than another 360, to tell the truth...

BB will probably tell you to send your Xbox to MS because you still have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. The only way they BB will take it in is if it's something that is outside of the manufacturer's warranty such as a power surge.

BB policy only goes into effect AFTER the manufacturer's warranty.

theBishop

Banned
I'm sure these questions have been answered 1000 times already, but I don't feel like digging through this epic thread:

I bought my 360 on Ebay, and it was red-ringed when I got it. I was able to repair it, but I think it's finally kicked the bucket.

#1: Does Microsoft repair require the receipt?

#2: If the tamper seal is broken will they deny service and/or charge me for shipping?

It's not modded or anything, but I had to break the seal in order to fix it.

Threi

notag
AlphaTwo00 said:
Check the date. Find out when it's made.

Keep it ventilated. That's the best tip.
ok say its a zephyr. Is there any way to check how well the board is doing without opening it up and voiding the warranty?

and signs of RROD?

theBishop said:
I'm sure these questions have been answered 1000 times already, but I don't feel like digging through this epic thread:

I bought my 360 on Ebay, and it was red-ringed when I got it. I was able to repair it, but I think it's finally kicked the bucket.

#2: If the tamper seal is broken will they deny service and/or charge me for shipping?

I think your fucked. One, MS seems to not honor warranties for used 360's IIRC, and two if the seal is broken they will definitely not honor it.

They will still fix it, but you will have to pay.

Treo360

theBishop said:

no
yes for shipping and repair

Just buy a new one as they won't warranty the system as you are not the original owner, also the seal is broken which is a double whammy.

theBishop

Banned
AndersTheSwede said:
I think your fucked. One, MS seems to not honor warranties for used 360's IIRC, and two if the seal is broken they will definitely not honor it.

I've heard of people in the UK sending them in with the broken sticker and getting repairs. I guess they're more strict in the US?

Also, how do they know it's used if they don't require the receipt?

Treo360

theBishop said:
I've heard of people in the UK sending them in with the broken sticker and getting repairs. I guess they're more strict in the US?

Also, how do they know it's used if they don't require the receipt?

if the system was ever online then it would've been registered in that persons name/account.

I never thought it would come to this.... sad but true, I am now amongst those who've experienced the dreadful RROD, 3RROD, # red lights, whatever you call it. It happened while I was playing fallout, trying to find little boy a home, after killing those damn ants everything on the screen was glitchy and and skewed...then it happened. I felt like I just got dumped...this sux. On the flip side, X BOX support was incredibly nice and easy to deal with. I didn't have a warranty or anything but because it was three red lights it was covered. Not only that but they gave me detailed instructions on what to do and even told me shipping costs will be covered.

Will the refurb my xbox or give me a brand new one. On one hand it would be cost efficient to refurb it, but I think M$ is more concerned with getting rid of this problem completely so wouldn't a new one be more cost efficient in the long run?

Treo360

diztrukted said:
I never thought it would come to this.... sad but true, I am now amongst those who've experienced the dreadful RROD, 3RROD, # red lights, whatever you call it. It happened while I was playing fallout, trying to find little boy a home, after killing those damn ants everything on the screen was glitchy and and skewed...then it happened. I felt like I just got dumped...this sux. On the flip side, X BOX support was incredibly nice and easy to deal with. I didn't have a warranty or anything but because it was three red lights it was covered. Not only that but they gave me detailed instructions on what to do and even told me shipping costs will be covered.

Will the refurb my xbox or give me a brand new one. On one hand it would be cost efficient to refurb it, but I think M$ is more concerned with getting rid of this problem completely so wouldn't a new one be more cost efficient in the long run?

You'll get someone's system that has been repaired

theBishop

Banned
AndersTheSwede said:

Crisis (maybe) averted. After spending a good 40 minutes with Q-tips, coffee filters, and isopropyl alcohol, I removed all the thermal paste on the GPU and reapplied. I was just playing Mass Effect for an hour without issue. I think it's fixed for the time being. :D

I posted this in another thread, but that went off tpic before anyone answered, so I'm trying my luck here...

I think my 360's DVD drive is on it's last legs, so I'm on the verge of getting a new 360 for Christmas. For the past couple of months I've noticed the drive having trouble opening or closing - power button flashes but the drive does nothing. Recently it's changed to the drive trying to open but acting like it's getting stuck and only opens if I push the drive tray, and even then it doesn't open all the way (I can always tug it out about 1/2cm - 1cm more).

Am I screwed?

I was thinking of picking up an Elite cos I've wanted a 120GB HDD for ages now (can't justify blowing around £100 on one though) and I'd love to make use of the HDMI port. Has there been any news of Jasper Elites in the wild? and should I replace my 360 now, or chance it and sit on the money till after Christmas?

Monkeylord said:
Has there been any news of Jasper Elites in the wild? and should I replace my 360 now, or chance it and sit on the money till after Christmas?
No, and there wont be for a long time most likely. Arcades are what's selling these days and it's going to take a while to work though the existing elite stock.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
AlphaTwo00 said:
Nope.

I've had no e-mail either.

This morning (14 days after the initial repair online request) I received a call from MS saying that they've escalated this repair on their side, and there's some technically diffcuties with recent repair requests. The rep on the phone has promised to ship the box by Tuesday.

Hey, at least I'm not getting left in the dark.

Did you have to call them to get it sorted out? Im trying to avoid calling as much as i can. Im still boxless (9 days) and ive e-mailed them twice with no response back.

Chinner

Banned
My Xbox (Elite) with the zephyr chipset died in my arms today. Got it last year when GAME where offering discounts when you swapped in your current Xbox. I took advantage of this to get rid of my replacement Xbox which I suspected was gonna die.

Anyway, I don't really mind that its broke. Here is my question though: Once its been replaced, what are the chances I'll get a falcon chipset? I know Xenon uses are getting it in the form of the Opus, but I don't feel I'll be as lucky as them.

Hajaz

theBishop said:

actually i once sent one back with the seal completely removed.
i had performed the heat gun trick on it witch fixed it for a while but witch also completely melted the sync button.
i never thought theyd fix it under waranty but they did, they sent me a new one with the same dvd drive.
then my second 360 i also opened up to put a different fan in and after a while it also died and they replaced that one too.

didnt have my receipt either but since it was within 3 years from launch it wasnt a problem

that was in europe though

Metalic Sand said:
Did you have to call them to get it sorted out? Im trying to avoid calling as much as i can. Im still boxless (9 days) and ive e-mailed them twice with no response back.
Nope. No e-mail. I was about to call.

Magik said:
BB will probably tell you to send your Xbox to MS because you still have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. The only way they BB will take it in is if it's something that is outside of the manufacturer's warranty such as a power surge.

BB policy only goes into effect AFTER the manufacturer's warranty.
so in other words dont buy a BB warranty for 2 years because all your REALLY getting is one year?

bro1

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:
so in other words dont buy a BB warranty for 2 years because all your REALLY getting is one year?

BB should not be a problem at all with the warranty. Just bring your system back, with the paper work and you should be all set. They will swap it out and give you a new one. That's why you bought it from them in the first place

Threi

notag
Ok new dilemma:

I went online to register the 360 i bought 2 weeks ago (which is a fucking Zephyr), only for it to show that my 3-year warranty has been expired?

Am I missing something?

Threi said:
Ok new dilemma:

I went online to register the 360 i bought 2 weeks ago (which is a fucking Zephyr), only for it to show that my 3-year warranty has been expired?

Am I missing something?
I believe it bases it off your manufacturing date to start with. What you're actually seeing is the 1 year warranty being expired (they show that by default). If you actually have a problem you'll need to prove your purchase date using your receipt.

Threi

notag
Psychotext said:
I believe it bases it off your manufacturing date to start with. What you're actually seeing is the 1 year warranty being expired (they show that by default). If you actually have a problem you'll need to prove your purchase date using your receipt.
I called EB, they said to call MS, MS says they can't update the warranty or anything and that i should call back EB.

this sucks :(

Threi

notag
Psychotext said:
Is your machine broken? Personally I'd ignore the issue until I had to do something about it.
Its not really broken, but it does flicker in 1080p mode.

Not much of an issue, but say it does break. I won't be able to do anything about it because the manufacturer warranty is already expired?

I don't think i should be pleased at all being sold a console with an expired warranty, especially one that is known to break.

Of course i am partially to blame for failing to check the manufacture date but i had no clue in the world that a retailer would willingly sell such an old console. I say its better to get the shit sorted out now then later when I am not just stuck with an expired warranty, but a broken console as well.

At least it is something to learn from and i won't be making this mistake again :(

Given there is a fault, why don't you take it back to the retailer? Surely you haven't had it long enough for the store coverage to have expired?

Either way, it's 3 years for RRoD from the date of purchase. As long as you have your receipt they can't argue it.

Threi

notag
Psychotext said:
Given there is a fault, why don't you take it back to the retailer? Surely you haven't had it long enough for the store coverage to have expired?

Either way, it's 3 years for RRoD from the date of purchase. As long as you have your receipt they can't argue it.
They won't take it back since its opened. RROD, scratch on the side, whatever, they just won't accept it.

Thats the whole issue (well that and ya know, the whole expired warranty thing).

Captain N

Well my XBOX was totally dead and Microsoft sent out another XBOX with a new serial number and all. It should be at my house by Thursday.

this is kind of related i suppose.

my hdd is biting the bullet. i know that this "transfer cable" exist(ed)s but can i just go down to my local futureshop or eb and find one or is this something incredibly rare because it doesn't seem to be listed on either of their sites. i plan on getting a 120gb drive (i currently just have a 20gb). i've got like 30 games that i've played to death and would be heart broken to lose those saves (and another 15 i wouldn't i wouldn't give a shit about). but still.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
My 3rd unit is starting to die. I know that's peanuts to what some people have been through, but I'm fucking pissed.

There's not even enough evidence to prove yet that these new systems out are supposedly fail proof (at least relatively).

I've enjoyed the Xbox, in most ways it has the best and widest library, the online service is way competent and MOST OF ALL it's the only system I know that people in my actual life (ie. friends, family) own outside of the Wii.

But motherfucker, if this goes RR in the next few days they are going to push me into just playing the PS3 and living through all their bullshit. This is so frustrating.

Threi

notag
Well the most I can settle for now is the warranty being re-instated (did that yesterday, no word of anything yet).

Apparently there's a chance I was sold a refurb at full price.

KiKaL

Psychotext said:

Mine just red ringed about 2 weeks ago. I got a refurbished one and never had a receipt. I sent it in and got it fixed no problem.

Will MS take my 360 under the RROD warranty if it only sometimes comes up? Sometimes i can play a game for 5-10 minutes, but i dont always get RROD.

Manufacture Date: 12-01-2005. :'(

My buddy's 360 got E74 over 3 weeks ago. He was out of a warranty and I think MS was asking $115 for a repair. He ordered an X-Clamp kit. Didn't show up within the time the retailer said it would ship by. So he went to the hardware store and got the parts himself. He did the fix today and got it working. Hes only played it for about an hour though. He'll put it through it's paces over the weekend to see if its stable.

sphinx

the piano man
So my 360 died exacyly 20 days after my 2 year long best buy warranty expired.

I won't move a finger to get a "new" one.

I'll stick to my DS (and gamecube) for the rest of this fucking lame generation.

sphinx said:
So my 360 died exacyly 20 days after my 2 year long best buy warranty expired.

I won't move a finger to get a "new" one.
You do still have the MS warranty of three years you know. I assume it's not a launch model so you can just use that.

Usual Disclaimer: These numbers wont match up to the list post simply because unless I could tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you weren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

35n28nc.png

In the figures so far are 1339 dead / replaced 360s, 26 of which were falcon models.

This Month

RRoD: 42
Other Red Light: 7
Drive: 4
Freezing: 3
PSU: 1
Video: 1

17 of the 22 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Overall Falcon Issues
RRoD: 12
DOA: 5
1RL: 4
Video: 4
Freezing: 1

Another weekend update:

It's now 3 weeks in. And 1 week after MS Rep called. They called back today, noticed that their tracking number has not moved (on my side, checking XBox support shows an invalid tracking number.)

They're going to redo it again and try to get me a new tracking number by monday.

Yesterday, my 360 wouldn't recognize my HDD. Now, my 360 boots up fine without my HDD, but once I plug the HDD back in, my 360 can't get past the initial system load (it doesn't even make it to the dashboard, it just stays on the green Xbox 360 screen). Is my HDD broken, and is there something I can do to fix it?

Top Bottom