• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

F8AL

Now my 360 also died. Was an old pro console and worked pretty well for hours, but now I got a single red light and a E74 error message. Guess there's nothing to do, tried unplugging and inserting everything, but no chance. Of course no warranty. Sucks.

Btw, are elite consoles less prone to these errors? Someone has a elite and is ready to sell it to me for a fairly low price.

I think so? I have one with the Jasper chipset and I got it back in November of 2011. First 360 console which has lasted over a year for me.

Of course, 80% of it's total usage has been with games that are installed on my HDD.

Extended warranty too. :x

First time I've played my 360 in several months, plug in a game, play for 30 seconds, it freezes, and BAM - RROD.

Is there any recourse at this point other than buying a new 360? How much do they charge to fix these pieces of shit? (I have an original model, 20 gigger.)

F8AL

First time I've played my 360 in several months, plug in a game, play for 30 seconds, it freezes, and BAM - RROD.

Is there any recourse at this point other than buying a new 360? How much do they charge to fix these pieces of shit? (I have an original model, 20 gigger.)

"The cost of an out-of-warranty console repair varies:

$123.00 plus tax, if you submit a repair request online.
$149.00 plus tax, if you call Xbox Support and have a support agent create the repair order for you."

Source: http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-360/repair/warranty-faq#38553b228a1e43349e5d050fbb6e64ea

I was in the same situation as you back in late 2011, I bought a brand new Elite for like $120 off eBay.

So my DVD Tray on my slim seems to have died. It has a DVD inside (and will play it) but it only ejects about 5mm or go back in.

I've found guides and tips for stuck trays, trays that won't go in but not for this problem.

I could waste a night of my life taking the thing & the drive apart, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to pinpoint the problem anyway.

Half tempted to just sell it as is & wait for next gen.

I need some help, I think my 360 just died. Its an old old fat one so its out of warrenty. It worked great last night but suddenly it keeps freezing during the intro when I turn it on, the sound keeps going but the video stops. Once I got an e71 screen though. Whats the cheapest way to replace this system? I have a 120gb harddrive I don't wanna have to pay a ton to upgrade from the new 4gb =\

Surfheart

My late 2007 Elite just kicked the bucket, RROD. It was a replacement for my launch unit which also died of RROD.

Fuck Microsoft.

Wouldn't suprise me if a large component of the current sales of Xbox consoles are for replacements.

test_account

XP-39C²
If i have a RROD Xbox 360 (one of the first models) and it is impossible to fix it, is there any value to it? Can it be used for anything? Then i mean only the console itself, not the power cord and TV cable. I have no more warranty on it.

zoozilla

I've been getting weird "Disc is Unreadable" errors, even when playing games from the hard drive (still rocking an old 20 GB model). I've been going back and playing some old games again, like Burnout Revenge and the first Mass Effect. With both those games, I'll get that message after 20 minutes or so of playing - it doesn't happen right away. I'm also having issues with Red Dead Redemption, except instead of bringing up a message it simply brings up the Dashboard.

All the discs looks fine to me, so I don't know if it's an error with the disc drive, the hard drive, or is my whole system about to die?

So I don't know if my 360 is about to crap out or what, but last week I awoke in the middle of the night to hear my 360 constantly ejecting and then closing all by itself. It was doing it pretty quickly too. The "ding ding ding ding ding" of the disc tray is what woke me up. It's a 360 slim only a little over a year old and I have taken very good care of it. To think that it could crap out so young is frustrating. Anything I can do to save it? It's impossible to play anything on disc because it will keep ejecting and closing sporadically. Anyone experience this? What is the best course of action?

Top Bottom