• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"NBC has killed the Bill Cosby pilot amid the mounting accusations of rape..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nfcb5mxAKA1qzgq7fo1_1280.jpg
Just goes to show how the truth eventually comes back to get you I guess.

Have you not read some of the stories these women have put on the public record, with their names attached to them?

How much do you actually know about the particulars of this controversy, man?

I don't like that he did this either. Almost everything I ever learned about comedy, I learned from listening to Bill Cosby LPs through headphones attached to my mom's hi-fi stereo. I had "Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow" memorized by the time I was age 7. The whole thing. Front to back. Bill Cosby's voice, his mannerisms, his stand-up, his TV show, are all very strongly tied to specific childhood memories that brought a smile to my face.

But none of that means shit compared to knowing he raped 16 women over the course of 30 years. And it would be shitty of me to place my rose-colored memories on a level of importance ABOVE the amount of suffering and abuse he dealt out in those three decades.

I would like that he didn't do it either. But my having laughed a lot at his stand-up doesn't make the likeliness that he did that shit any lesser. And it doesn't provide me enough doubt to question those 16 women and their stories.

You're a guy who doesn't want him to have done it, who is listening to a podcast about real-life mysteries, and conflating the two as a means to hold out hope you don't have to think about one of your heroes differently.

I'm a guy who doesn't want him to have done it, who's read up on what he's been accused of, how he's reacted to it, what he's done in response to the stories that have come out, read what those stories are, and decided that I can't always get what I want.

I believe he raped those women. The level of satisfactory proof, for me, has been met. I get the sense you've placed that level at "his confession" and I dont' think that's a thing we're going to get, because if he had the stones for that shit, he'd have either let the case go to trial the first time it was brought, or he'd have admitted it then.

I guess that's up to the individual. Publicly? Probably. His legacy is completely tarnished. I see no logical explanation for why all these women would lie. That would entail a major conspiracy that has no reason to exist. You don't have to assume anything if you don't want to, but a lot of people know when something is as plain as day. His influence and talent does not excuse anything he did. He only has himself to blame, nobody else. If you're disappointed, be disappointed in him. Not the media and not people on a message board.

I'm just going to simplify and reiterate what I said so that there's no confusion. I've been banned before for miscommunication:

1. If he did it: he should be punished appropriately.
2. I do not know if he did it. That's kind of the point.
3. I'm not excusing anything due to talent or wealth or likability. I'm saying that in the court of public opinion, he is GUILTY already, and that's interesting. I said that I hope that he didn't do it. That's just me personally. Holds no sway on my feelings on his punishment if he's found guilty in a manner that is acceptable by the the systems we have created.

Eh, at this point I don't think anyone is expecting him to be found guilty, it's too long after the fact. I think everyone coming forward just wants people to know what happened. His career going down the drain (even the Cosby Show isn't on TVLand anymore) is enough for now I think.

Mumei

Could ask for the AP to not indulge in gotcha journalism.

I just read a good little piece about The Question:

Cosby kept responding, though. "There is no comment about that," Cosby reiterated, "and I'll tell you why. I think you were told. I—I don't want to compromise your integrity. But we don't—I don't—talk about it."

I don't want to compromise your integrity. This is a strange sentiment, considering that one of a reporter's primary jobs is to adjudicate the truth. Cosby is a public figure; he is, whether he likes it or not, currently being tried in one of the oldest legal systems there is: the court of public opinion. And in that court, whether they like it or not, journalists can serve as lawyers and judges and juries, often all at the same time.

Which is also to say: The only way for the reporter to have compromised his integrity, in this case, would have been to shy away from asking the question in the first place.

Later: "I think if you want to consider yourself to be serious that it will not appear anywhere."

In conclusion: "And we thought, by the way, because it was AP, that it wouldn't be necessary to go over that question with you."

And: "If you will just tell your boss the reason why we didn't say that up-front was because we thought that AP had the integrity to not ask."

AP, however, did have the integrity to ask. The reporter did what my colleague Ta-Nehisi Coates admonished all journalists to do: to "go there," awkwardness and everything else aside. And the results of the asked question were—even and especially in the absence of an actual answer—revealing.

And in the piece by Coates:

I published a reported essay in 2008, in this magazine, on these call-outs. In that essay, there is a brief and limp mention of the accusations against Cosby. Despite my opinions on Cosby suffusing the piece, there was no opinion offered on the rape accusations. This is not because I did not have an opinion. I felt at the time that I was taking on Cosby's moralizing and wanted to stand on those things that I could definitively prove. Lacking physical evidence, adjudicating rape accusations is a murky business for journalists. But believing Bill Cosby does not require you to take one person's word over another—it requires you take one person's word over 15 others.

[...]

A voice in my head was, indeed, pushing me to do something more expansive and broader in its implication, something that did not just question Cosby's moralizing, but weighed it against the acts which I believed he committed. But Cosby was such a big target that I thought it was only a matter of time before someone published a hard-hitting, investigative piece. And besides, I had in my hand the longest, best, and most personally challenging piece I'd ever written.

It was not enough.

I have often thought about how those women would have felt had they read my piece. The subject was morality—and yet one of the biggest accusations of immorality was left for a few sentences, was rendered invisible.

I don't have many writing regrets. But this is one of them. I regret not saying what I thought of the accusations, and then pursuing those thoughts. I regret it because the lack of pursuit puts me in league with people who either looked away, or did not look hard enough. I take it as a personal admonition to always go there, to never flinch, to never look away.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Again: How do you know that he did it? Because 16 women said that he did it? Has it been proven? How can it be proven satisfactorily?
So lets say there's this nice restaurant in town with a large number of good reviews. It has a great reputation. But a few people say that they were drugged and raped while eating there. And when the word gets out, more diners share similar stories. Eventually there are 16 accusers. Now, there's no way to know for sure if it's 100% true, but I'm probably not going to eat there. I wouldn't be too heart broken if the place was shut down. I think it's okay to err on the side of caution.

And I feel the same way about how NBC's move to cancel Cosby's pilot. "Innocent until proven guilty" is part of the checks and balances designed to protect innocent people from the justice system. But having your show canceled isn't the same as a lengthy prison sentence. The stakes aren't as high, and the potential harm to society from that policy isn't as high, so the burden of proof isn't as high.

And frankly, even one accusation would arouse suspicion and scrutiny. 16 is astonishing.

Log4Girlz

Again: How do you know that he did it? Because 16 women said that he did it? Has it been proven? How can it be proven satisfactorily?

We're assuming. The odds of 16 different, unrelated women making such a false claim are so small. It's like when there are several pedophilia charges against a priest, when there are so many, something is up.

So lets say there's this nice restaurant in town with a large number of good reviews. It has a great reputation. But a few people say that they were drugged and raped while eating there. And when the word gets out, more diners share similar stories. Eventually there are 16 accusers. Now, there's no way to know for sure if it's 100% true, but I'm probably not going to eat there. I wouldn't be too heart broken if the place was shut down. I think it's okay to err on the side of caution.

There sure AS HELL is a way to find out if that's true or not. What a nonsense analogy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There sure AS HELL is a way to find out if that's true or not. What a nonsense analogy.
No, without something like a video tape and physical evidence there's always some uncertainty. And it's not really an analogy at all. I'm not going to sugar coat it. People are saying we should believe Cosby over 16 women because reasons. And I don't see any reasons.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Random aside here, but why the hell did we all just forgive Michael Jackson?

When he was alive there was no way anyone with good conscience would listen to his stuff. Maybe you liked BAD, but it wasn't on your iPod where people could see it. You wouldn't list Thriller as one of your top-5 albums making small-talk on a first-date. But when he died, it was as if he had been holding all his old music hostage, and we were finally free to listen to all this great pop once again!

But weren't there always rumours? Didn't he sign a lot of cheques to anonymous families? What the hell?

When he was alive there was no way anyone with good conscience would listen to his stuff. Maybe you liked BAD, but it wasn't on your iPod where people could see it. You wouldn't list Thriller as one of your top-5 albums making small-talk on a first-date. But when he died, it was as if he had been holding all his old music hostage, and we were finally free to listen to all this great pop once again!

But weren't there always rumours? Didn't he sign a lot of cheques to anonymous families? What the hell?

He testified in court and was examined (although I honestly don't remember what the findings were) and at least denied allegations instead of just stonewalling, so there is at least that...

Rich!

No, without something like a video tape and physical evidence there's always some uncertainty. And it's not really an analogy at all. I'm not going to sugar coat it. People are saying we should believe Cosby over 16 women because reasons. And I don't see any reasons.

Silly people.

I guess we shouldn't believe all the people that came forward about Jimmy Saville either?

studyguy

I was a senior in high school when all of that was going down living near Santa Barbara county. Honestly none of that experience resonates anything near what I remember from that time, even during his trial. His stuff was everywhere before, during and after that time as far as I remember out in the open.

I remember a lot of talk on the issue though. None of it causing people to browbeat others or take any moral stances for listening to his music though.

Toparaman

Banned

He went to court and was found not guilty of all charges. If you still think he molested children, that's on you.

Brakke

Banned
I'm just kidding. I'm only like on ep 4 and the dude seems to be hitting speed-bumps everywhere.

Hah. You should catch up then :) Blumberg definitely plays a good bumbling fool. He probably even is one. But he's bunbling in the right direction.

slit

I'm just going to simplify and reiterate what I said so that there's no confusion. I've been banned before for miscommunication:

1. If he did it: he should be punished appropriately.
2. I do not know if he did it. That's kind of the point.
3. I'm not excusing anything due to talent or wealth or likability. I'm saying that in the court of public opinion, he is GUILTY already, and that's interesting. I said that I hope that he didn't do it. That's just me personally. Holds no sway on my feelings on his punishment if he's found guilty in a manner that is acceptable by the the systems we have created.

That's fine. Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I do have a question though.

Since you said you don't know if he did it, there must be a plausible scenario in your head where you think he did not do it. If he didn't do it, under what circumstances do you think all these women would be lying? So I'm not misunderstood I want to say I'm being genuine here. Not trying to be condescending, just curious.

Alphahawk

He was able to explain his side of the story for one, something that Cosby although asked has repeatedly not done.

benzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855qMXaFl-E

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6z97Efw3I

Oddduck

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but Bill Cosby did a show in the Bahamas last night to raise money for a charity for a women's service organization.

The 77-year-old entertainer performed in a small theater at the Atlantis resort in a benefit for a women's service organization, making no mention of the allegations of sexual assault by several women that have resurfaced in recent days.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/21/cosby-bahamas-sexual-assault_n_6196638.html

Jakoo

That and men are taken seriously.

I almost wonder if part of this happened now because of the concept of a thing going "viral" in the last 5 years is much bigger. I'm not saying it's right, but, when people came forward before, the social-media infrastructure wasn't quite as robust and utilized as it is today, so maybe it didn't pick up steam.

I bet if another stand up comedienne like Tig Notaro or Amy Schumer did the same act, it also would have gone viral in the same manner. It is unfortunate that it took a comedian's bit, not the accuser them self, to bring something like this to light though.

I mean...speak for yourself and all. I never stopped listening to his music, particularly his older stuff.

I decided a while ago I'd separate the art from the artist whenever possible. There are a lot of monsters that have created some beautiful works of art.

Hannibal's bit took off partially because he was doing the bit in Philly (Cosby's backyard), and a Philly outlet reported on it. That went viral-ish. A few weeks later, Cosby's twitter team fucked up, and with the viral story from Philly still fresh in their mind, they went to work. Probably a couple thousand people tops were in on that joke, but since twitter is so heavily monitored by news outlets now, that couple thousand people can sound like MILLIONS, and once that became a news story in and of itself, coupled with the fact Cosby's currently on tour, promoting things, showing up on TV shows - kind of a perfect storm.

Whereas in 2005/2006, not only was the concept of "going viral" still mostly attached to things like The Star Wars Kid or whatever, attitudes about sexual assault/rape were still - even 10 years ago - pretty different than they are now. Basically, it was easier to ignore news you didn't like back then, and nobody liked thinking of Bill Cosby as a sexual predator. I know I didn't. I know I put my head in the sand. I went out of my way to not read some of that shit back then.

I can't do that now, both on a logistical level (so many more people are online, and using the internet as their main means of communication with the outside world) and an emotional one, as my thoughts and attitudes have changed in those 10 years as well.

That's fine. Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I do have a question though.

Since you said you don't know if he did it, there must be a plausible scenario in your head where you think he did not do it. If he didn't do it, under what circumstances do you think all these women would be lying? So I'm not misunderstood I want to say I'm being genuine here. Not trying to be condescending, just curious.

Down that road leads destruction. I don't have a plausible scenario. Not enough data. I wasn't there. It would be dismissive to say that all of the women are lying. Until the situation is examined properly, probably through court, where all parties and witnesses for both sides can speak on it, I think that we're really talking about one person's word against another person's word, or, rather, one person versus 16.

And w/o the burden of proof, that's what we're essentially discussing.

I think that we're really talking about one person's word against another person's word, or, rather, one person versus 16.

And w/o the burden of proof, that's what we're essentially discussing.

This isn't court, though. And it's not going to go to court. So what you're left with is 16 people saying the same person has raped them.

So yeah - the benchmark at which you're willing to feel safe weighing in an opinion is for all intents and purposes, imaginary now. It's not going to go to court. You have to work with what you've got. And what you've got is 16 women who have different-yet-similar stories, stretched out over 30 years, about this man drugging and then sexually assaulting them. You've got their accounts, you've got their stories, and you've got his denials, his denial to even broach the subject, and the settlements he's paid.

One person's word vs. another person's word doesn't carry the same weight as 16 people's words vs. one person's word. You can't weigh them the same. Especially not when you look at them.

And if you don't have a plausible scenario as a counterargument, and Cosby isn't even offering one - then what does that say, man? You're not willing to go on the record as saying you think these 16 women are lying, because you know that'd be heinous. But you can't come up with anything else - and it's not just because "you weren't there." It's because there's probably nothing else. In fact, the only other even remotely plausible scenario aside from "all of them are lying" is "he did it."

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was in a meeting, and I overheard three successful, highly educated black women who all have important administrative positions and they were all dismissive towards the charges and angry/accusatory at the women. Left me baffled, we have a long way to go on rape in our culture.

.GqueB.

Banned
Eh, at this point I don't think anyone is expecting him to be found guilty, it's too long after the fact. I think everyone coming forward just wants people to know what happened. His career going down the drain (even the Cosby Show isn't on TVLand anymore) is enough for now I think.

Decisions like that are weird, no? I know his name is attached to it and all but don't the other cast members still make money from re-runs? Aren't they now being affected by a situation that they had no hand in?

I'm not even sure how I feel about it, just raising a question (I don't know shit about how such things work).

hbkdx12

I never knew this to be the case. In fact, MJ was probably one of the only celebrities i've witnessed have such alarming allegations against them but still have people support his music. There were plenty of people i knew who was convinced that MJ was a pedophile but would still rock out to an MJ song

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Has Eddie Murphy or Dave Chappelle publicly commented on this Bill Cosby drama? If so, link to video?

Here's a really scary new account from actress Michelle Hurd from working on the set of the Cosby Show:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/11/2...ted-to-never-tell-anyone-what-we-did-together

Michelle Hurd is a terrific actress who’s appeared as a series regular on “Law & Order SVU,” “90210,” “Gossip Girl,” among other shows. She posted this on Facebook last night. I hesitated to re-post it without her permission, but the story has traveled now. It’s brave of her, like all the other women, to tell the story at all.

Here’s the post:

LOOK, I wasn’t going to say anything, but I can’t believe some of the things i’ve been reading, SO here is MY personal experience:
I did stand-in work on The Cosby show back in the day and YES, Bill Cosby was VERY inappropriate with me. It started innocently, lunch in his dressing room, daily, then onto weird acting exercises were he would move his hands up and down my body, (can’t believe I fell for that) I was instructed to NEVER tell anyone what we did together, (he said other actors would become jealous) and then fortunately, I dodged the ultimate bullet with him when he asked me to come to his house, take a shower so we could blow dry my hair and see what it looked like straightened. At that point my own red flags went off and I told him,
“No, I’ll just come to work tomorrow with my hair straightened”.
I then started to take notice and found another actress, a stand-in as well, and we started talking….. A LOT …. turns out he was doing the same thing to her, almost by the numbers, BUT, she did go to his house and because I will not name her, and it is her story to tell, all I’ll say is she awoke, after being drugged, vomited, and then Cosby told her there’s a cab waiting for you outside.

I have ABSOLUTELY no reason to lie or make up this up!
Anyone that knows me, knows that!

Now you have a first hand account of my experience with Mr. Cosby.

Off you go…

Amir0x

Banned
My God, is there any lady in Hollywood he hasn't made an inappropriate pass at? I cannot believe he's gone this long with this many incidents and nothing happened.

Like fuck me, being rich and famous really lets you get away with anything

Sanjuro

Since this is the primary Cosby Rap Thread, there was another story posted to TMZ about his antics in the green room on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/20/bill-cosby-forced-oral-sex-victim-jonny-carson-louisa-moritz/

An actress who played Rose in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and starred in the '70s show "Love American Style" claims Bill Cosby stuck his penis in her mouth in her dressing room before an appearance on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show."

68-year-old Louisa Moritz tells TMZ ... she was at the NBC studios in New York in 1971, waiting in the green room for her appearance on the show. She says there was a knock at the door, and it was Cosby, who she says walked in and said he was impressed with her work and "implied that he was going to see to it that I will become a major star through his direction."

Moritz -- who also played a cop in Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke" -- says Cosby "suddenly approached me and took out his penis, which was now in the line of my face [she's 5'0"] and pressed up against it."

She goes on, "He took his hands and put them on the back of my head and forced his penis in my mouth, saying, 'Have a taste of this. It will do you good in so many ways.'"

She says as Cosby walked out he turned and said, "Now you don't want to upset me and the plans for your future, do you?"

Moritz says she never told anyone, until now. She says although the statute of limitations has run out, she intends to file a civil lawsuit against Cosby.

Cosby's lawyer, Marty Singer, tells TMZ ... "We've reached a point of absurdity. The stories are getting more ridiculous." Singer adds, "Mortiz is a lawyer who was disciplined by the California State Bar and ordered not to practice." We pulled the documents -- she can't practice because she didn't report certain quarterly reports ... the nature of the reports is unclear from the documents.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/20/bill-...tim-jonny-carson-louisa-moritz/#ixzz3JkhUNTkh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom