• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Brexit talks end in acrimony amid stalemate over bill

I voted Remain.

I very reluctantly said 'fine, get on with it. No second referendum'.

After seeing the absolute insane approach of the Government in relation to negotiating though....this madness HAS to be stopped.

It's insanity

I hope more people like you start popping up. The remain vote needs to harden up and do what is necessary to get out of this mess.

What is he talking about? A different election result would've made no difference whatsoever to EU negotiators. But, need a cheap scapegoat for this disaster in motion, right?

"It's not our fault, dear Tory voter - it's all those young Corbynites and hard Remainers who have screwed over your Brexit!"

I called this months ago - there was no way that a Brexit force lead by three of the biggest clowns in the Tory party (Davies/Boris/Fox) was ever going to result in anything other than this.

Jezbollah

What is he talking about? A different election result would've made no difference whatsoever to EU negotiators. But, need a cheap scapegoat for this disaster in motion, right?

What he's trying to imply is that a bigger electoral mandate for May + co would have meant that the "British public back our leaders, ho ho ho".

The wrong result was in fact the huge election blunder by losing an overall majority and going into hung parliament territory.

He can frame it on the British public for not "making the right choice" (that's straight out of Tropico 5), but at the end of the day it's one of the biggest election backfires of our political history. And it's all on May and the Tories.

The dumb, colossal thundercunts.

I don't even remember seeing Trump during the brexit vote, he didn't even win the republican nomination until a month after the brexit vote. (not saying he didn't say something I just don't remember. Nobody really cared about him until they had to). He seemed to take credit for it after though.

Oh he was around and chiming in. It even made the news here somehow though I don't remember which channel, likely 4. He basically said the opposite of Obama, said we'd get a fast track trade deal etc and advised the public to vote for Brexit.

Vagabundo

I did think I'd enjoy May and co squirming more, but it's just sad at this point.

I actually called the disaster of an election. (more wishful thinking on my part probably)

It's not obvious that you can without unanimous consent of the other EU countries. And maybe their stance would be "Brexit is bad and we don't want it so let's agree to forget this ever happened" or maybe their stance would be "Brexit is bad, but we need to send a message that you can't do this to us." And it only takes one country to pick the latter to make it impossible to cancel the whole deal.

It's not just that. A revote would mean open door for any other country to do a referendum too without consequences.

If remain had won, leavers would have just tried the referendum again anyway. Most of the main leaders of the movement said as much. Don't know why you can't do the reverse

Madness

Nekketsu Kõha;247487213 said:
Can still cancel the whole Brexit. Just do it. No one is gonna take to the streets and riot or anything ffs.

The EU would not accept this now especially France. Brexit has harmed EU stock market, dropped the pound severely, caused layoffs and plans to shift out od the area, emboldened anti-EU sentiment in other nations like Netherlands, France etc. Britain is now a headache in a fractured EU one already struggling in the face of overwhelming migrants swarming Greece and Italy, fences and borders being erected, Schengen free travel being stopped, EU trying to force Hungary and Poland to take migrants.

While the UK is a massive loss to the EU (would've been largest economy in about 12 years, strongest EU cultural force, and 2nd largest/most powerful military, at this point the EU would do better with perhaps going smaller, having countries whose population actually wants to stay together. The UK citizens voted and the majority wanted out. If the UK takes an L in negotiations that is on them. The only ones who took an even bigger L are the moron Scots who turned down independence and self determination after centuries to go down with the ship.

I don't even get what position the UK thinks it has anymore. You already signed the divorce papers and the prenup is telling you you get nothing. Anything the EU gives you is a concession by them to stay on friendly terms, but they don't have to do anything. Acting like you are in a position to make demands is just living in fantasy land at this point. You gave that position away when you voted Leave.

It's not just that. A revote would mean open door for any other country to do a referendum too without consequences.

Maybe I'm confused and misunderstand yours and even his point but unless they actually leave and without consequences why would anyone do the same as a result? If they come crawling back begging EU to forget it all I don't see someone else go hey let's have a referendum. I could see that happen if they leave while not receiving punishment. Something they should have realised before they started the negotiations as it isn't in the EU's interest for them to simply walk away and keep the perks.

Top Bottom