• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU draws up Brexit bill

Beefy

A draft EU negotiating paper, seen by Reuters, that will be put to London when Brexit talks begin following a national election in Britain on June 8 makes clear that suggestions from Prime Minister Theresa May's government that the Union might end up owing rather than getting money cut no ice in Brussels.

The paper on principles of the financial settlement that the EU wants from London on departure in March 2019 sets no figure, and chief negotiator Michel Barnier has made clear it cannot be calculated until the end as it depends on the EU's spending.

Four pages of appendix details list more than 70 EU bodies and funds to which Britain has committed payment in a budget set out to 2020.

Yet the three-page main document made no mention of Britain getting credit for a share of, say, EU buildings, as British ministers have said it should have. EU officials argue Britain was not asked to pay extra for existing infrastructure in Brussels when it first joined the bloc in 1973.

Among obligations Britain will be asked to cover are the funding until summer 2021 of British teachers seconded to schools catering to the EU's staff and diplomats.

Other payments include promises to fund Syrian refugees in Turkey, aid for the Central African Republic, the EU aviation safety agency and the European Institute for Gender Equality.

"The United Kingdom obligations should be fixed as a percentage of the EU obligations calculated at the date of withdrawal in accordance with a methodology to be agreed in the first phase of the negotiations," the paper states.

Brexit is going to be dope...

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
So basically the EU will go on a two year spending spree.

Auctopus

I have never been so conflicted in my life by the strong desire to see my own country suffer for this arrogant blunder.

jelly

How would they even split buildings, it makes no sense. I still think the UK should pay up, they agreed then left so pay what is due. EU shouldn't be blamed for continuing to benefit from buildings and infrastructure the UK was benefiting from until they leave. Just got to live with the decision of leaving the club and not having access to said club. The UK kicked itself out.

avaya

I have never been so conflicted in my life by the strong desire to see my own country suffer for this arrogant blunder.

There is no conflict for me. I fully welcome it. Maximal suffering please. Ethno-Nationalism is a disease.

Beefy

There is no conflict for me. I fully welcome it. Maximal suffering please. Ethno-Nationalism is a disease.
People that want people to suffer are disgusting. I voted remain, I am poor and too ill to work. I guess you want me to suffer as well right?

NI has a clear way back in already if they one day vote to reunify. A big if, but the option is available should they one day want it badly enough.

It's going to be a no deal situation, and we are going to be fucked because of it.
Oh man yeah, we are.

And you get bloody idiots still parroting the nonsense "no deal is better than a bad one!" As if that makes any sense at all, goddamned eating that Tory propaganda hook line and sinker.

People that want people to suffer are disgusting. I voted remain, I am poor and too ill to work. I guess you want me to suffer as well right?

You're going to suffer from it no matter what, like the rest of us. Won't stop me taking pleasure in the dumb twits who voted for it getting exactly what they asked for. It's the sole benefit I'm getting out of it, among like a million points that make me depressed, so I am going to milk it for everything I can because, bluntly, fuck them.

avaya

Oh no I feel sorry for you. Those that voted remain I truly feel sorry for. However this will have to be painful. Lessons will have to be learned. I am disgusted by this country.

The problem is that it doesn't just affect the people that voted for it, it affects everyone. It needs to work for that reason alone, but when it fails, and it will fail, then I want people held accountable because, as far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is an act of aggression against the people of the UK and should be treated as such.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Oh man yeah, we are.

And you get bloody idiots still parroting the nonsense "no deal is better than a bad one!" As if that makes any sense at all, goddamned eating that Tory propaganda hook line and sinker.

What does "no deal" even mean in this context?
Just unilaterally leaving the EU?

Other payments include promises to fund Syrian refugees in Turkey, aid for the Central African Republic, the EU aviation safety agency and the European Institute for Gender Equality.

I can't wait for the headlines.

avaya

The problem is that it doesn't just affect the people that voted for it, it affects everyone. It needs to work for that reason alone, but when it fails, and it will fail, then I want people held accountable because, as far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is an act of aggression against the people of the UK and should be treated as such.

Act of aggression by whom? The ethno-nationalists? Because from the EU side it isn't an act of aggression at all.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Yeah I thought we were over this childish attitude already.

NI has a clear way back in already if they one day vote to reunify. A big if, but the option is available should they one day want it badly enough.
That would be so much more difficult a sell to people in NI now. I think it would be easier to pitch independence + EU inclusion vs assimilating to Ireland to get it

What does "no deal" even mean in this context?
Just unilaterally leaving the EU?

I assume defaulting to World trade organisation rules, but I have no idea what "no deal" and "bad deal" mean to these people. I tried asking but as per usual, not one pro brexitters could explain either nor why they're a thing we would want.

Basically yeah. Then onto WTO rules and trade tariffs. We would also lose passporting rights which is hugely important to London.

We're basically going to lose the financial passporting no matter what, thanks Brexit.

Auctopus

No, not at all. Hence why I said I was "conflicted".

I don't want to suffer, I don't want people at risk to suffer. But I do want a wake-up call for the ignorant which will most likely be delivered in a huge blow to living standards. Unfortunately, we're all in it together.

I said I was conflicted and I think it was pretty obvious why.

EmiPrime

I have no such conflict. Show the rest of Europe the price of arrogant nationalism, delusional posturing and nostalgia for colonialism. Make the British electorate realise their mistake ASAP instead of slowly making us bleed for generations. If we continue down this road more people won't be able to afford to eat, workers rights will be fucked and the NHS will be gone. Let's end this madness.

NI is that bad, hmm? I hear a lot of people saying that accepting NI into the ROI would be a big economic drain.

I want Brexit to fail. It has to in order to avoid emboldening the world's right wing into thinking nationalism is a great idea. I don't like seeing people suffer but I feel like they're going to anyway after the mass deregulation spree the Right is going to do, so better just to rip that plaster off quickly and undo this mistake.

avaya

Yeah I thought we were over this childish attitude already.

I find this attitude absolutely laughable. I will not break bread with ethno-nationalists and straight up racists. I have nothing in common with these people.

The EU will do what the EU will do. I have never been so disgusted with so many of my countrymen and woman. Just fucking vile. This isn't some little hump we get over. As a Londoner I have more in common with the average European than your typical Leave voter.

I want my taxes cut. I couldn't give a fuck anymore.

Sarye

I lot of people were lied to about what Brexit actually meant financially and I feel bad for them.

I know why they can't have a redo vote now, but I feel like if you find out that your bus that was heading to the amusement park is actually heading straight off a cliff, you should have the option to get off that bus instead just letting it happen.

Act of aggression by whom? The ethno-nationalists? Because from the EU side it isn't an act of aggression at all.
The EU who have been nothing but courteous to use the entire time? No, not them.

The traitors like Johnson, Gove and Farage. Cameron for allowing it to happen. May for triggering Article 50. All for the greater "good" of ensuring that the rich stay rich.

How would they even split buildings, it makes no sense. I still think the UK should pay up, they agreed then left so pay what is due. EU shouldn't be blamed for continuing to benefit from buildings and infrastructure the UK was benefiting from until they leave. Just got to live with the decision of leaving the club and not having access to said club. The UK kicked itself out.

As I've said before, lets say you help start up a company. Lets say you signed contracts to provide a certain amount of funding.

Then lets say you decide you want out because you think you could do better on your own.

Well you don't get your investment back, and you don't get to nullify those contracts.

If you want out, you lose your investment and have to make good on the things you'd already agreed to do.

Because you're the one who wants out.

It's an insane position to think you could get out of all your promises and get back some or all of your investment.

Tovarisc

I lot of people were lied to about what Brexit actually meant financially and I feel bad for them.

I know why they can't have a redo vote now, but I feel like if you find out that your bus that was heading to the amusement park is actually heading straight off a cliff, you should have the option to get off that bus instead just letting it happen.

Didn't Brussels open back door for UK and say that we can still call off BREXIT?

RoyalFool

Banned
We should offer to fund them having a proper financial audit, so see what happened to all that money which went unaccounted for.

Seriously, it's like a divorce - we paid more in than we got out for years, so we should be entitled to a share of whatever that surplus got invested in. Then deduct any obligation which were agreed prior to brexit.

I'm perfectly fine with no deal if they are being twats about it.

Didn't Brussels open back door for UK and say that we can still call off BREXIT?

No.

That's ALWAYS been the case. At any point in the 2 years from Article 50 being triggered to leaving, it can be stopped.

The Government seems reluctant to share that information.

Anger is understandable when a political choice harms you significantly. As someone who wants to work in Germany this experience is like a guillotine primed and ready over your neck.

Just fucking do it already, Theresa, if you're so set on this path.

Jasup

So basically the EU will go on a two year spending spree.

Well, no.
The article has this line buried in it:
It adds that people, businesses and organizations in Britain would continue to benefit from some EU funds for some time after Brexit.

Basically the EU is under obligation to pay the money to British projects and funds it has given money to. For example plenty of research in Britain is funded through the EU Research and Innovation programme Horizon 2020 - much of it spanning until the end of 2020. The EU is obligated to pay for that. It's not solely a one way street.

avaya

The EU who have been nothing but courteous to use the entire time? No, not them.

The traitors like Johnson, Gove and Farage. Cameron for allowing it to happen. May for triggering Article 50. All for the greater "good" of ensuring that the rich stay rich.

Johnson is a traitor for sure.

Gove is a true believer, he is genuinely a demented person and does not know the root of his own ignorance.

Farage is an actual white supremacist so it's par for the course for the festering shitpile.

Cameron is just an idiot.

May....not even worth bothering with. Has no principles.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Basically yeah. Then onto WTO rules and trade tariffs. We would also lose passporting rights which is hugely important to London.

I assume defaulting to World trade organisation rules, but I have no idea what "no deal" and "bad deal" mean to these people. I tried asking but as per usual, not one pro brexitters could explain either nor why they're a thing we would want.

We're basically going to lose the financial passporting no matter what, thanks Brexit.

This is such a monumentally childish and stupid way to conduct international relations.

Maztorre

I HIGHLY doubt that will ever happen, atleast not in our lifetime.

Has a decent chance of happening within the next 50 years. The cost of maintaining NI continues to grow with awful economic/productivity growth. Irish nationalism is on the cusp of achieving majority status, at which point serious questions will be asked as to why a declining minority of fundamentalist religious lunatics are worth the continuing expense of propping up a statelet that will never be functional or profitable by its very design. NI is only barely functional because of the constant UK/EU funding and seamless border, and even then the GDP/capita gap between North and South still resembles East/West Germany immediately post-unification. The only solution that offers NI a productive future is reunification. I don't think people realise how utterly fucked this place is if a border comes in and, down the line, the right wing of the Conservative starts to question paying for an NI Assembly where the majority of members are actively agitating for reunification and railing against cuts.

Hyams

A lot of hardcore Brexiteers don't understand why we should pay a bill. They say we voted leave so we should just LEAVE. After all, there are plenty of other countries to trade with!*

*Although quite why these other countries would agree to a comprehensive trade deal with the UK ... if the UK has shown a willingness to not honour its financial commitments ... is an open question.

Tugatrix

The EU right now to the uk

burning-money-dollars-table-fire-1378245820F.gif

Maztorre

We should offer to fund them having a proper financial audit, so see what happened to all that money which went unaccounted for.

Seriously, it's like a divorce - we paid more in than we got out for years, so we should be entitled to a share of whatever that surplus got invested in. Then deduct any obligation which were agreed prior to brexit.

I'm perfectly fine with no deal if they are being twats about it.

It's not a divorce. It's a country leaving an economic bloc. A country that begged to join because of the shoddy state it was in, and did very well out of it.

avaya

People are laughing at the American's over Cheetoh being POTUS. But that is temporary, it will never be forgotten, but it's only 8 years (SCOTUS fuck-up aside).

Brexit is genuine face-palm level madness that will last at least a generation.

It's not a divorce. It's a country leaving an economic bloc. A country that begged to join because of the shoddy state it was in, and did very well out of it.

People forget this. I guess they will need to be reminded of it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A lot of hardcore Brexiteers don't understand why we should pay a bill. They say we voted leave so we should just LEAVE. After all, there are plenty of other countries to trade with!*

*Although quite why these other countries would agree to a comprehensive trade deal with the UK ... if the UK has shown a willingness to not honour its financial commitments ... is an open question.

I'm sorry to say this but it seems such people only understand acts of aggression when they are in the form of full on war.
And since this isn't declaring war on the EU they somehow can't see that what they're doing is selfish to the point of being evil.

They weren't lied to, they were told the truth but they didn't want to believe it and experts were written off and demonised as "project fear".

I'm with avaya, if people want to keep voting for Brexit and the Tories then fine. I'm going to give up and join the "Fuck you, I got mine" side and bask in the schadenfreude.

Top Bottom