• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boris claims that Brussels could end up paying Britain a Brexit divorce bill

Shiggy

TELEMMGLPICT000128449040-medium_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq7Ie8PkSw6zJj0WOAbK6siUqxYMpFvkH0i-0P7ycN7Bs.jpeg

says Boris Johnson

Brussels could end up having to pay Britain a Brexit divorce bill because the UK has contributed to so many EU assets, Boris Johnson has suggested, as he accused Europe of wanting to “bleed this country white”.

In his first major interview of the election campaign, the Foreign Secretary said there were “very good arguments” to why Britain should demand money back, adding that EU leaders were “trying it on”.

He said Britain could leave the EU without paying a penny if there was no Brexit deal, and compared warnings about a “no deal” Brexit to the unfounded fears over the non-existent millennium bug in 1999.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...could-end-paying-britain-brexit-divorce-bill/

Something light for the Sunday morning.

I've had shits spell out words on the inside of the toilet bowl with more credibility* than Boris Johnson.

Nonsense pandering to the stupider among the Brexit base, and it'll probably work too.

* this may be hyperbole

theaface

And still our strong and stable leader lets him speak in public. Astounding. Is there anyone left in the world for our foreign secretary to antagonise?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Boris is a very trustworthy source 🙄

And still our strong and stable leader lets him speak in public. Astounding. Is there anyone left in the world for our foreign secretary to antagonise?

Our 'leader' Probably wants the dumbass to say this sort of thing. The truth doesn't matter to the people they're trying to appeal to, only 'fuck da Europeans' chest beating.

Uzzy

He's not wrong that the UK has assets in the EU, and we should expect some money for them. It's everything from returns from loans and property, to artworks and even the wine collection. Here's a handy chart from the FT showing how much they'd be worth.

It shouldn't take much to realise the issue there, I hope.

Joni

If only the media would be Smart enough to show this on every interview with a Tory after the brexit.

Don't agree with Boris, but people calling him a twat for saying we won't pay etc. but the eu leaders after being told it isn't legally binding aren't twats for demanding 100billion which is a ridiculous amount, which nobody in the eu can afford anyway.

Makes sense.

Empty

utter cunt. all of politics is a game to him. happy to boost his political profile by opportunistically slagging off those stupid europeans, lol jokes if the foreign secretary undermining an important negotiation eventually trashes the uk economy.

Wvrs

'Could' indicates far too much possibility with Boris Johnson. He could have been PM. Small mercies there, at least. Convincing the British people to pay this divorce bill is going to be a hard sell at a time of austerity and cuts.

Bashtee

More like the UK shot itself in both feet and is waiting for it to stop.

He's not wrong that the UK has assets in the EU, and we should expect some money for them.
Why? The UK is leaving and the EU doesn't stop to exist. You usually have to buy yourself out of contracts you want to end.

To be honest, I don't expect the negotiations to be successful.

PJV3

Oh it's that man who lied about the EU for a living and the fame that he desperately requires.

Gearless

Neo Member
Wait, wait, wait, wait, did this guy implied that the EU would have to pay for a bill that Brexit pretty much started?

Why? The UK is leaving and the EU doesn't stop to exist. You usually have to buy yourself out of contracts you want to end.

To be honest, I don't expect the negotiations to be successful.

This kind of haggling will lead nowhere, I agree.

Like, If you end your fitness club membership, you don't get to demand half of what that new treadmill costed in return for your exit.
The UK should get what it is owed (money for the loans etc.), but this nonsense about being compensated for assets that were paid for by everyone can fuck off.

This kind of haggling will lead nowhere, I agree.

Like, If you end your fitness club membership, you don't get to demand half of what the new treadmill costed in return for your exit.
The UK should get what it is owed (money for the loans etc.), but this nonsense about being compensated for assets that were paid for by everyone can fuck off.

Can we stop comparing the EU to fitness clubs? They are completely different so the analogy is pointless. It's more like a divorce situation.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'd feel far more confident about Brexit if any of the people involved in it were realistic. As it is, we're still magical Union Jack clad unicorn land.

Joni

Don't agree with Boris, but people calling him a twat for saying we won't pay etc. but the eu leaders after being told it isn't legally binding aren't twats for demanding 100billion which is a ridiculous amount, which nobody in the eu can afford anyway.

The UK has obligations towards the EU. They don't suddenly stop because the UK wants them to. I still have to pay my loan even if I don't want to be at a specific bank anymore.

He's not wrong that the UK has assets in the EU, and we should expect some money for them. It's everything from returns from loans and property, to artworks and even the wine collection. Here's a handy chart from the FT showing how much they'd be worth.

It shouldn't take much to realise the issue there, I hope.

That's not how it works.

Let's say you sign a mobile phone contract for five years. After three years, you decide to you want to leave, but you still have two years left. So you can either walk away and refuse to pay, at which point the company will take action to reclaim that money, or you can pay, but what you can't do is say I'll pay the two years but you owe some money as well.

The reason you can't do that is because you chose to leave. you either fulfil your contractual obligations or suffer the consequences of walking away from them.

The mobile phone company doesn't and never will owe you anything because they didn't cease service, you chose to leave.

I hate these "I could totally shoot myself on the leg" type statements.
Sure, the UK doesn't need to pay.
But it would have consequences. Does anyone really fall for this dreck?

Makes sense.
The EU has yet to demand anything. The numbers are newspaper reports. Yet in the UK the politicians go out and state bullshit like this in interviews.

daviyoung

Banned
I hate these "I could totally shoot myself on the leg" type statements.
Sure, the UK doesn't need to pay.
But it would have consequences. Does anyone really fall for this dreck?

Yes, people who think Brussels is a mighty evil dragon that our knights must slay

The UK has obligations towards the EU. They don't suddenly stop because the UK wants them to. I still have to pay my loan even if I don't want to be at a specific bank anymore.
That's not a great comparison because with a loan you get all the benefits up front and then subsequently pay it back. There reason there is any whiff of debate about this figure is because a lot of the stuff that makes up the £100bn figure is stuff that hasn't even started yet, and some won't have started by the time we have left, in countries that aren't the UK. Beyond that, Boris's argument here (such as it is) is that the UK will no longer have access to things that it has previously paid into and ergo should have it's share "bought out" like a joint venture being bought out by a single investor. This situation is too complicated to compare to a loan you've already received.

jelly

It's nothing more than an easy vote win. Stick it to the EU, got my vote will work for the Tories but they will no doubt still pay. Nobody wants to deal with a country that doesn't pay it's debts.

Top Bottom