• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit 'divorce bill' could go up to €100bn

Famassu

What exactly am i denying ? Where are you from ?
The obvious racism/nazi imagery in pro-Brexit campaigns for one. I'd need to go through the last page or two again to see what were your other claims, but I don't want to go through that wall of stupid again.

avaya

Nothing nazi about the picture that was posted.

You know Miles is right. There is no point staying in this country when it's full of people like the above. It's either a painful troll from someone's joke account or an actual Daily Mail reader. Then I realised Chinner was right, the Daily Mail reader is basically 50% of this country.

Bobnob

Getting in on that xenophobia. What possible relevance does that have to his statement?
Well if your from the uk and voted remain chances are you had family or close freinds vote leave. Its quite easy to jump in here and call people racists if you didn't take part in the vote.

is that relevant enougth for you ?

Dougald

Don't follow this stuff at all, so curious:

Why does the UK have to subsidize EU farms?

The EU subsidises its farms through the Common Agricultural Policy. The UK as a matter of course contributes to this through its share of the EU budget, and farms from across the EU including in the UK receive funding

tuxfool

Banned
Well if your from the uk and voted remain chances are you had family or close freinds vote leave. Its quite easy to jump in here and call people racists if you didn't take part in the vote.

is that relevant enougth for you ?

Racists are racists, whether it is difficult or not doesn't change the reality.

Just because you're labouring under the weight of cognitive dissonance of having your nice grandma be a xenophobe, doesn't change the facts.

Bobnob

Just because you're labouring under the weight of cognitive dissonance of having your nice grandma be a xenophobe, doesn't change the facts.
lol

Imagine if it goes higher.

HMcTzcG.jpg

RenditMan

Banned

People wanting immigration controls aren't racist. It amuses how people with no problem with the draconian entry requirements of non EU nationals see themselves as the bastion of liberal thought because of free movement.

People wanting immigration controls aren't racist. It amuses how people with no problem with the draconian entry requirements of non EU nationals see themselves as the bastion of liberal thought because of free movement.

You wanted "immigration controls", you got national suicide. Didn't quite work out eh?

What's wrong with immigration controls? Every country has them.

Well, firstly, immigration controls can mean anything from free movement to putting brown people in camps. Guess how much faith the world has in brexiters there?

Secondly, your cost for immigration controls was said national suicide. Economically, politically, socially, even territorially the UK is going down the shitter.

Famassu

UK already has immigration control. Don't act like this wasn't more about the racist sort of "we don't want them terrorists in our country", "they gonna take all our jobz", "all dem niggaz should get the fuck out of UK" and "we dun want dem lazy bums coming here to live on our social security" xenophobia & racism filled "immmigration control" that drove the vote.

UK didn't need to leave EU to make some changes to their immigration policies.

Where did i deny it ? Stop talking out of your ass.
Weren't you the one who said the image could just as well have been about white people? If I mixed your post to RenditMan's posts, apologiez.

RenditMan

Banned
UK already has immigration control. Don't act like this wasn't more about the racist sort of "we don't want them terrorists in our country", "they gonna take all our jobz", "all dem niggaz should get the fuck out of UK" and "we dun want dem lazy bums coming here to live on our social security" xenophobia & racism filled "immmigration control" that drove the vote.

UK didn't need to leave EU to make some changes to their immigration policies.

The UK has had high levels of immigration for decades, long before free movement and whilst it's never been perfectly smooth sailing we've always managed.

So, yeah.

I see very few people who want all immigration stopped and there's not a single politician suggesting it should be which would suit your rhetoric. Stopping immigration would be stupid you see.

You can have high levels of immigration with controls the two aren't mutually exclusive. I personally don't like the idea that the country is turning away skilled applicants and highly qualified ex students because they aren't from the right country of origin. It irks me. Some seem fine with this though for reasons I'll never fathom.

The reason countries need to implement controls is to try to control obtaining the skills we need whilst balancing the needed increases in infrastructure to enable the growing country to function with the population inhabiting it.

avaya

The UK has had high levels of immigration for decades, long before free movement and whilst it's never been perfectly smooth sailing we've always managed.

So, yeah.

I see very few people who want all immigration stopped and there's not a single politician suggesting it should be which would suit your rhetoric.

You can have high levels of immigration with controls the two aren't mutually exclusive. I personally don't like the idea that the country is turning away skilled applicants and highly qualified ex students because they aren't from the right country of origin. It irks me. Some seem fine with this though for reasons I'll never fathom.

Oh so you voted out of the EU to allow more people from Asia in. I am sure that is what other Leave voters thought as well. After all the people in that Nazi poster were perfectly European, not brown looking at all. Sure sure.

Famassu

So, yeah.

I see very few people who want all immigration stopped and there's not a single politician suggesting it should be which would suit your rhetoric. Stopping immigration would be stupid you see.

The reason countries need to implement controls is to try to control obtaining the skills we need whilst balancing the needed increases in infrastructure to enable the growing country to function with the population inhabiting it.
Yeah, they just want those white people (excl. poor Eastern Europeans). Lazy blacks & ragheads need not apply. People in daily fear of their lives need not apply.

RenditMan

Banned
Oh so you voted out of the EU to allow more people from Asia in. I am sure that is what other Leave voters thought as well. After all the people in that Nazi poster were perfectly European, not brown looking at all. Sure sure.

The vast majority of leave voters would want immigration controlled, not stopped.

Not one political party promised to stop immigration, not even UKIP.

New Zealand is part of the commonwealth, getting in there is hard as hell if you don't have the skills or health the country requires. I don't have a problem with this, nor am I offended by it.

EU is calling mays bluff on no deal is better than a bad deal

I read this a lot but why should the EU care what citizens of a third country think?

Well, it's kinda hard to bluff if your actions were overt.

Seems like whole EU is united in making an example of UK here. While Nationalists in combination with the infamous British tabloids and the older generation (50+) are responsible for the Brexit, it doesn't change the fact that the majority of Brits voted for leave.
And that's fine for most of us. But this decision comes at a huge price, and peopple like May are lying right into their voters faces by telling them that UK has some sort of bargain power. They don't. All that's left are reliabilities. Or like Thatcher once said: "We (here: the EU) want our money back!"

RenditMan

Banned
Yeah, they just want those white people (excl. poor Eastern Europeans). Lazy blacks & ragheads need not apply. People in daily fear of their lives need not apply.

The Indian and Pakistani corner shop has been a staple of the average UK street since the 70's so please tell me more.

Yes there's people of the UK wary of newcomers of middle Eastern origin, but there's people of the middle east currently wary of others of middle Eastern origin.

avaya

The vast majority of leave voters would want immigration controlled, not stopped.

New Zealand is part of the commonwealth, getting in there is hard as hell if you don't have the skills or health the country requires. I don't have a problem with this, nor am I offended by it.

The vast majority of leave voters don't want non-white people in their country. They feared a muslim horde coming from Europe. I mean it is self-evident. I don't even know how you can deny reality unless you are just a joke account.

Famassu

Yes, and they want that control over racist biases.

RenditMan

Banned
The vast majority of leave voters don't want non-white people in their country. They feared a muslim horde coming from Europe. I mean it is self-evident. I don't even know how you can deny reality unless you are just a joke account.

What you are saying is simply wrong. If that was the case the BNP would have done far better than they did.

We're having a general election and the party who will probably win is a party who isn't pledging to stop immigration, the party who will probably come second, definitely isn't and all the rest won't either. The parties who will stop immigration won't get a seat or their deposit back so maybe re think your beliefs.

avaya

What you are saying is simply wrong. If that was the case the BNP would have done far better than they did.

We're having a general election and the party who will probably win is a party who isn't pledging to stop immigration, the party who will probably come second, definitely isn't and all the rest won't either. The parties who will stop immigration won't get a seat or their deposit back so maybe re think your beliefs.

I mean you are literally parroting the same bullshit people say when they try to explain why the South votes Republican in the US. You can pretend that political parties don't trade in dogwhistles all you want.

RenditMan

Banned
I mean you are literally parroting the same bullshit people say when they try to explain why the South votes Republican in the US. You can pretend that political parties don't trade in dogwhistles all you want.

People basically have a choice of left(ish) or right in the US, we have a much more diverse choice thankfully, none of which corroborate your position.

Nah, if the economy of London stalls at all I believe the Government would pull out all the stops to get it moving again. That's why I still believe that London is the only truly 'safe' area of the UK from the risks of Brexit.
The City will still have one of the highest concentration of professional talent and skills in Europe, and will attract companies looking to take advantage of that.
Now, Wales? Wales is fucked.

you really think those people will stay if brexit happens and they dont get access to healthcare, pensions etc.?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Even if for some reason you ignore the actual racism, of which you know full well, there's plenty of, and even if you ignore the fact that the vast majority of racists would basically never admit they're racist (even the Ku Klux Klan claims they're not racist) you still have to deal with the fact that most of the people who voted leave had zero clue what effects this would have beyond immigration rules. Or, being generous, were mostly dead wrong.

Oh, or that the Remain camp was right about the negative economic and geopolitical effects to a tee. ANd that the Leave camp was wrong about them (well, actually they lied).

And the worst part is that it's the UK repeating the corrosive party over country trend that the US is infested by. Like, very few of the people in power believe Brexit is smart for the country, but they see short term political gains.

I was born and raised in the UK, and when I return for business, it's always a stark reminder of who's actually voting when I get in a London cab and the cabbie immediately assumes it's ok to talk about his Daily Mail-fueled racism because I'm white.

"You know what the problem is mate, it 's them bloody <insert racist-phrase here> innit?"

RenditMan

Banned
Even if for some reason you ignore the actual racism, of which you know full well, there's plenty of, and even if you ignore the fact that the vast majority of racists would basically never admit they're racist (even the Ku Klux Klan claims they're not racist) you still have to deal with the fact that most of the people who voted leave had zero clue what effects this would have beyond immigration rules. Or, being generous, were mostly dead wrong.

Oh, or that the Remain camp was right about the negative economic and geopolitical effects to a tee. ANd that the Leave camp was wrong about them (well, actually they lied).

And the worst part is that it's the UK repeating the corrosive party over country trend that the US is infested by. Like, very few of the people in power believe Brexit is smart for the country, but they see short term political gains.

Every country has its share of racist population, I find it offensive that some are quick to accuse over 50% of the population of it because they don't see things the same way as them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Every country has its share of racist population, I find it offensive that some are quick to accuse over 50% of the population of it because they don't see things the same way as them.

But nobody's saying that.

There were plenty of non racist Leave folks. They just happened to be wrong about economics, for example.

There were plenty of pig ignorant folks who had no idea what they were doing.

There were plenty of selfish bastards who had a vested interest in Leaving.

But the energy and marketing of Brexit was big on immigration detail and small on everything else. Except Boris' bus....

Doesn't need to be 50% driven by a single issue.

A human turd in a swimming pool is not 50% of a swimming pool. A wasp in a bus is not 50% of a bus.

But you can make 50% of people care about it very easily. And that was the underlying fuel.

And seeing things differently is a reasonable POV for art, or a book, or a movie trailer, but it becomes unreasonable when it boils down to math and cause-effect. Who knows, maybe Britain will invent like, anti-grav and relive the Empire glory. But assuming it doesn't, there's awful historical and future facing context to think about.

RenditMan

Banned
But nobody's saying that.

There were plenty of non racist Leave folks. They just happened to be wrong about economics, for example.

There were plenty of pig ignorant folks who had no idea what they were doing.

There were plenty of selfish bastards who had a vested interest in Leaving.

But the energy and marketing of Brexit was big on immigration detail and small on everything else. Except Boris' bus....

Doesn't need to 50%

A human turd in a swimming pool is not 50% of a swimming pool. A wasp in a bus is not 50% of a bus.

But you can make 50% of people care about it very easily.

You've lost me, people can't vote for their own reasons because of wasps?

tuxfool

Banned

I'm not going to value the judgement of somebody that was outright denying that the Farage poster wasn't NAZI influenced, something that is as clear as daylight.

Pandy

Leave:

world-cloud.jpg

Remain

ClvPzX-VAAExk1R.jpg:large

Like come on.

Thanks for posting these, I was searching for them to reply to a post in the GE thread the other day but couldn't find them.

And just a bit of background to this; http://www.britishelectionstudy.com...ow-to-vote-in-the-eu-referendum/#.WQma8IF_WaM

The methodology was they asked a little over 15,000 people the question "What matters most to you when deciding how to vote in the EU referendum?”.
And thank you for linking that for reference.

Top Bottom