• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit 'divorce bill' could go up to €100bn

Occam

The EU has reportedly raised the opening price of the UK’s “Brexit bill” to €100bn (£84bn), according to new analysis of latest French and German demands.

Following requests from several member states, the EU negotiators have revised their initial calculations to increase the liabilities the UK must help pay for.

These include payment of farm subsidies and EU administration fees which could continue after we have officially left the union until 2020.

Though the net bill will be lower than €100bn (£84bn) once the UK's rebate is taken into account, the gross amount paid will be significantly more than the €60bn (£50.6bn) charge originally proposed by European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker in February, according to the Financial Times.

The revised estimate reflects the hardening of many EU27 countries towards the UK’s demands.

Both France and Poland have pushed for post-Brexit annual farm subsidies to be included in the bill whereas Germany is against granting Britain a share of the EU’s total assets.

The total Brexit bill is currently not set because it calculated using estimates about the UK’s official exit date, currently set for 29 March 2019 unless leaders agree an extension.

The size of the UK’s budget rebate and the amount of EU investment spending are also taken into account.

[...]

Ms May ramped up the rhetoric earlier this week when she claimed Mr Juncker would see she is “a bloody difficult woman” – referring to a comment made about her by former Justice Secretary Ken Clarke during her brief leadership campaign last summer.

It comes after a German newspaper reported that in the wake of a meeting with the Prime Minister, Mr Juncker phoned Angela Merkel and said Ms May lives “in another galaxy” and is “deluding herself” over Brexit.

Ms Merkel responded in an address to the German Bundestag where she said Britain would become a “third-party state” after it leaves “cannot and will not” have the same rights as other members.

“I have to say this clearly here because I get the feeling that some people in Britain continue to work under illusions, and that is a waste of time”, she added.

No 10 denied this version of events at the meeting, saying it was just Brussels gossip.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...00bn-eu27-demands-contributions-a7714436.html

Tagyhag

“I have to say this clearly here because I get the feeling that some people in Britain continue to work under illusions, and that is a waste of time”, she added.

Lol no shit. I wonder how many of those are people who are afraid that they fucked up and are now lying to themselves.

Machina

Banned
anigif_enhanced-buzz-26215-1365435285-3.gif

theaface

A sense of adventure.

Strong and stable leadership in the national interest.

Red, white and blue Brexit.

Crush the saboteurs.

2a4.gif

The British government is living in a delusion where the EU will fulfill all of the British´s demands. It seems May and co. and probably half of the population of the UK really believe the EU will bend over backwards to please them. Jesus.

I really get the feeling that Brexiters (even the politicians) actually believed they could basically leave the EU but keep what they like a la carte...

Trickster

A sense of adventure.

Strong and stable leadership in the national interest.

Red, white and blue Brexit.

Crush the saboteurs.

2a4.gif

Man that gif, wtf is she doing? Laughing I guess? Look's so weird, like an alien trying to imitate human behaviour

Xando

EU is calling mays bluff on no deal is better than a bad deal

The EU is going to turn some remainders against it, the way things are going.
I read this a lot but why should the EU care what citizens of a third country think?

How can you demand a divorce bill but you don't want a share of the assets, especially since UK has always been a net contributor???

Aww shit that means Brexit will definitely win the next Exit referendum now.. oh wait...

danm999

How can you demand a divorce bill but you don't want a share of the assets, especially since UK has always been a net contributor???

It's a negotiation. The EU is seeking the most favourable terms it can for itself.

Steel

Banned

When you burn bridges, you have to pay for the bridge.

Because the EU isn't demanding its invested assets in the UK back either?

Remainders turning against the EU is irrelevant, you guys are leaving.

Remainers have a chance to reverse this shit at this election but most of them seem to be too passive to do so even though the Lib Dems offer a way out of Brexit. The EU isn't responsible for the mistakes of the UK electorate, nor should it care about UK public opinion. It doesn't matter if they get turned against the EU, they seem largely uninterested in fighting for what they believe in anyway.

Britain is the one walking away willingly. They should have thought it through a bit more I guess.

It's not like the EU is kicking them out and then keeping their stuff.

Plus its international politics, not a simple divorce.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I know Britain needs to feel the weight of the leave decision but man I don't want the country totaled over this.

JimiNutz

Banned
Hard Brexit here we come...
May is unfortunately going to win the GE and, based on what she has said already, no way we pay this with her in power.

I guess we will be leaving without a deal.

Mivey

What would that even entail? Getting some of the old furnishings of the EU parliament?

Remainers have a chance to reverse this shit at this election but most of them seem to be too passive to do so even though the Lib Dems offer a way out of Brexit. The EU isn't responsible for the mistakes of the UK electorate, nor should it care about UK public opinion. It doesn't matter if they get turned against the EU, they seem largely uninterested in fighting for what they believe in anyway.

Not helping is that Corbyn almost definitely voted Leave

theaface

Man that gif, wtf is she doing? Laughing I guess? Look's so weird, like an alien trying to imitate human behaviour

Must be a Tory thing...

Remainers in other EU countries where Referendums are a possibility are watching.
France, Italy etc

If Brexit has one certainty, it's that none of the EU27 will ever seriously consider following in our footsteps. We've already shown to the rest of the watching world what a monumentally stupid decision it would be to leave the bloc.

Leyasu

Banned
No matter how much I disagree with brexit, I can't help but feel that certain eu countries are just trying to milk every penny possible before the UK leaves.

Also seems like they are putting a high price tag on it as a deterrent against other countries thinking about leaving

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Maybe if May and co were actually civil about leaving instead of acting like twats the EU wouldn't harden so much

As for the remainers I no doubt those of us who can are making plans to relocate. I know I am

The EU will take the talent and prosper the brain drain on the UK will be very real.

Remainers in other EU countries where Referendums are a possibility are watching.
France, Italy etc

This logic makes zero sense...

People who don't want to leave the EU are going to see the high cost that comes with leaving, change their mind and thus vote to leave the EU and suffer those high costs?

No matter how much I disagree with brexit, I can't help but feel that certain eu countries are just trying to milk every penny possible before the UK leaves.

When you piss on someone they are going to ask you to pay for their dry cleaning... And if in the process you end up pissing on yourself.... they aren't going to pay for yours.

danm999

France, Italy etc

And I'm sure they terribly sad their governments are running rings around the nation whose prominent demagogues made jokes about Prosecco.

jelly

It's sad but clear as day, May wants to turn Brexit into hateful us versus them because the outcome for the UK is going to be bad whatever way you slice it, she wants the UK people to turn against the EU and blame it all on them for not giving the UK everything for nothing. British public are too stupid to realise it. I hope Scotland gets out of this.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
France, Italy etc

Why would a EU citizen be upset by this? Other than a EU citizen who fantasises about EU disappearance. EU negotiators/leaders are fighting for EU's interest.

It'll get negotiated down and played as a win as everyone will have this number in there heads. Quick, put it on the side of the bus...

Or we'll crash out in a huff obviously

France, Italy etc
Making it easy for the UK to leave with little consequence would actually strengthen those. Now they get to see how it would really be and that is isn't so easy and simple.

Considering the UK is causing this economic mess, they can pay for some of the damages.

The EU should give liberal, productive young people an easy way out of the UK. In my experience young people have been the most pro-EU and are passionately so. Brain drain the UK. The EU can only prosper from this.

PJV3

Maybe if May and co were actually civil about leaving instead of acting like twats the EU wouldn't harden so much

As for the remainers I no doubt those of us who can are making plans to relocate. I know I am

The EU will take the talent and prosper the brain drain on the UK will be very real.

I can't believe David Davis threatened to do a runner from the bill like the EU was an Indian takeaway.

What the previous Cameron government agreed to is what we have to pay, argue and reduce it, but you can't leg it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Why must the uk suddenly slip into pompass colonial overlord mode just as it decides to leave ??

The entire reason why the UK is going all out on hard brexit is "fuck foreigners", it's the UK government's fault for having their stupid 'red lines' that exist to look tough at home.

Micael

The EU should give liberal, productive young people an easy way out of the UK. In my experience young people have been the most pro-EU and are passionately so. Brain drain the UK. The EU can only prosper from this.

It's already going to happen, just the amount of funding for research and so on that is going to disappear from the UK is enough to make sure a lot of well educated people will end up moving to other European countries.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can't believe David Davis threatened to do a runner from the bill like the EU was an Indian takeaway.

What the previous Cameron government agreed to is what we have to pay, argue and reduce it, but you can't leg it.

Reminds me of that only fools and horses episode

Top Bottom