• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

gTkbfJl.jpg

vg-urban-leg-squall.jpg

Pappasman

I think enemies and bosses have more HP, they hit harder, but so do you. But I don't know. Might want to try out KH proud to see if you can handle a harder mode.

hmm... I've been reading a bit more on it and I think I'm just gonna go critical. People seem to think its a good mode and I'd like a good challenge anyways.

Thanks for the avatars OP! Looking forward to replaying KH2 in Final Mix form and playing BBS for the first time!

Can someone explain to me the censoring situation? I didn't know that there was a censored and uncensored version.

RPGCrazied

is it too late for me to get into this series? never play any KH game

Nah, just start with 1.5 before 2.5. If you play 2.5 first you'll be so lost story wise. Hell, even after countless times playing the games the story still doesn't make much sense. :p

Hiko

Banned
Ordered the game from amazon today with prime 2 day shipping. They haven't sent me a delivery estimate yet.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Thanks for the avatars OP! Looking forward to replaying KH2 in Final Mix form and playing BBS for the first time!

Can someone explain to me the censoring situation? I didn't know that there was a censored and uncensored version.

Japan had certain uncensored stuff in the original release, like jack getting stabbed, or xigbar's sights looking similar to gun sights....i wonder if they got rid of the ability to zoom in on kairi's panties at the end of the game before the final battle

Falk

that puzzling face
I keep wishing for a new contract to be written up

Damn, that's sad. Wishing so much for a digital for the KH series...

Licensing issues for Utada's music is the likely culprit for a lack of digital releases for the series (IIRC, a digital release would require a new contract to be negotiated to use the songs)

That's not the full story, but I can't say anything more about it.

edit@above: lol (final area spoilers etc)

Japan had certain uncensored stuff in the original release, like jack getting stabbed, or xigbar's sights looking similar to gun sights....i wonder if they got rid of the ability to zoom in on kairi's panties at the end of the game before the final battle

hmm I didn't know this thanks!

FSLink

Banned
Vanilla KH2 is baby easy and I kinda hated the gameplay due to it. Luckily KH2 FM's additions and extra difficulty really is some of the best in the series and using drive forms actually feels fun and rewarding.
People experiencing this for the first time is in for a real treat.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I just want the regular version of the game with a normal PS3 case.

If the store only has limited in stock tomorrow, is it the same as that hideous oversized cardboard box from 1.5? Or is there a regular PS3 case with the normal cover inside?

I just want the regular version of the game with a normal PS3 case.

If the store only has limited in stock tomorrow, is it the same as that hideous oversized cardboard box from 1.5? Or is there a regular PS3 case with the normal cover inside?

There's a regular PS3 cover inside the box.

3.) Limit form: One of Final Mix's more important new additions, Limit form requires no party members, and as such can be used in nearly all fights after you acquire it. Limit form is granted the dodge roll, and on top of this, the form's special attacks regenerate HP, including Strike raid, which is extremely powerful and easy to use. This makes it a potent defensive asset, and should be your go-to form choice in most Boss battle situations.

Also worth nothing that Sora also gets the Zantetsuken combo finisher in this form, which is the strongest combo finisher in the game (and the series, really).

Master Form: Land of Dragons, just outside the throne room. There are a set of heartless that give out a decent amount of drops that can be taken advantage of with Drive converter and Jackpot. Blast as many as you can with your magic, grab some balls and hightail it back to the save point.

There's actually a much better method: Go to Yen Sid's tower with Drive Converter, Jackpot and Sweet Memories equipped and go to the room with the Gambler nobodies. Winning their reaction command minigames nets you a ton of drive orbs, and you can pretty much stay in the room the whole time until you eventually max out the drive form.

Andrefpvs

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

;_; Kairi no longer has teh uterus

They did the same damn thing with Selphie in 1.5!

No longer definitive version confirmed.

Pre-order canceled.

Just kidding,
I didn't pre-order
. I have to wonder why they felt the need to remove that stuff now, it's not like they cared when they had the chance to do it with the original Final Mix.

hmm I didn't know this thanks!

This post is hilarious if you only read the last sentence of what he's replying to, lol.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can we count digital as port begging already

(And the reverse for Phoenix Wright threads)

naeS

I never had a PSP so I will be playing Birth by Sleep for the first time. Excited.

I have played all of Re: CODED and I loved it. Looking forward to watching the cutscenes again.

thanks for the replies,
1.5 it is then
than 2.5 and in 2015 KH3 lol

It's kind of weird but, assuming you enjoy KH1 and want to continue playing the games, play Chain of Memories and then stop and get 2.5. The movie for 358/2 Days is included in 1.5 but don't watch it yet. As is almost always the case, the games are best enjoyed in order of release, so go KH1 -> CoM -> KH2 -> THEN 358/2 Days -> Birth By Sleep -> Coded -> Dream Drop Distance (if you have a 3DS, or just wait for the inevitable HD version which will probably be next year).

Falk

that puzzling face
I would argue that the one time I would go against release order might be 358/2 before KH2.

Massive spoilers:
Friend did that recently and had a very different reaction to the ending of Roxas/Xion/Axel than most people did, since most people already kinda figure something terrible happens since Xion is never seen again

Woot let's do this. I will attempt to go for the platinum for Kingdom Hearts 2 and Birth By Sleep. I have so many games to play, and so little time. I just got a PS4 with TLOU and GTA 5 plus I picked up Dark Souls 2 during the psn sale. Kingdom hearts above all else though.

P.s, dibs on the Pride Lands Sora. I think it matches my name.

Andrefpvs

I would argue that the one time I would go against release order might be 358/2 before KH2.

Massive spoilers:
Friend did that recently and had a very different reaction to the ending of Roxas/Xion/Axel than most people did, since most people already kinda figure something terrible happens since Xion is never seen again

Interesting.

You can also argue that it would make
Roxas's fight against Axel more significant, with the dual keyblades and all, as well as Axel's death.

On the other hand, it spoils
Riku's appearance, and the ending line "Maybe today we'll finally hit the beach" loses most of its significance.

But it's definitely interesting how you win and lose different things by playing (watching) Days before or after.

Christian

Super excited for this. I've been sitting on 1.5HD for a year, waiting for this so I can just marathon the entire series. I have over a week off, for Christmas. THE TIME HAS COME. Kinda regret that I didn't get that awesome Collector's Edition directly from SE.

Falk

that puzzling face
Interesting.

You can also argue that it would make
Roxas's fight against Axel more significant, as well as his death.

On the other hand, it spoils
Riku's appearance, and the ending line "Maybe today we'll finally hit the beach" loses most of its significance.

But it's definitely interesting how you win and lose different things by playing (watching) Days before or after.

I actually did figure
AnsemRiku
might have been a thing from just CoM alone hahahaha. Especially very near the start of KH2FM where he
lets Namine and Axel go because of their help in Castle Oblivion

Caladrius

Adding on to what Caladrius said, Limit Breaks can also save your ass when used at the right time. They have a lot of invincibility frames and also do decent damage.

Also worth nothing that Sora also gets the Zantetsuken combo finisher in this form, which is the strongest combo finisher in the game (and the series, really).

There's actually a much better method: Go to Yen Sid's tower with Drive Converter, Jackpot and Sweet Memories equipped and go to the room with the Gambler nobodies. Winning their reaction command minigames nets you a ton of drive orbs, and you can pretty much stay in the room the whole time until you eventually max out the drive form.

Ah, thanks. Will amend the post with those tidbits once I finish the writeup for Marluxia and Luxord. (Basic synthesis stuff is done, I just don't want to clutter the page with these posts.)

Can't wait to play this tomorrow. Finally get KH 2 FM but also get yo play BBS on the big screen. Also just got my son to start KH FM and so far he,s really enjoying it.

Zolbrod

You know, I played the HD 1.5 remix, and found that KH 1 just didn't hold up very well, and that Re: Chain of Memories, while being a huge improvement over the original, is still repetitive and frustrating, so I was starting to question my love for the series.

So now I've started playing HD II.5 remix, which has both of my absolute favorite KH games, and I can safely say: I still love this series.

I don't know why KH2 gets so much hate, it's fantastic.

Cruxist

Really hoping this gets here soon tomorrow. My UPS is usually around 2ish, but man, I'd really like to get going as soon as possible. I want to knock out the Roxas sections as quick as possible and really get started.

iosefe

You know, I played the HD 1.5 remix, and found that KH 1 just didn't hold up very well, and that Re: Chain of Memories, while being a huge improvement over the original, is still repetitive and frustrating, so I was starting to question my love for the series.

So now I've started playing HD II.5 remix, which has both of my absolute favorite KH games, and I can safely say: I still love this series.

I don't know why KH2 gets so much hate, it's fantastic.

it's American KH2 that gets the hate. final Mix fixes most if it's glaring issues

Caladrius

Part 1- Essentials
Part 3- Sephiroth and Data Organization members #13-#8
Part 4- Data Organization members #7-#4
Part 5- Data Organization members #3-#1
Part 6- Duel with the Lingering Will

Part 2: Item Synthesis

This part isn't incredibly essential, but doing the stuff here will help out a lot, especially if you intend to challenge the extra bosses at low levels. This just covers the ability-granting items, so the armor side isn't covered (and unless you're doing a low-level run, it isn't very important so long as you're not using trash armor.)

Now to the meat. This part is probably going to be the most prone to errors, so if you're unsure about anything it most certainly won't hurt to double check, and certainly feel free to correct me if you know any of this is wrong.

------

The new-Final Mix exclusive accessories are going to be immensely useful. Shade Archive+ gives Sora MP Rage, and Full Bloom+ gives Sora MP Hastega. Sora maxes out at 4 accessory slots, so having four of either of these is a huge help. You are of course, free to mix and match, but I tend to prefer milking one bonus for all it's worth. Larxene's Shock Charm might be of use during your battle against her, but otherwise you won't need it over your other armor types.

If you're fretting over synthesis materials, I've got good news: Final Mix introduces a new (to KH2, at least) accessory known as the Lucky Ring. This magical bauble will increase your drop rate by 50% of the base value. It's possible to equip 7 of these for your entire party, in addition to the 7 Lucky Lucky abilities Sora, Donald and Goofy get over the course of critical mode (14 Lucky Luckys total, which each give a +.5 boost to your base drop rate). This allows you to get an immense 8x multiplier that trivializes item collecting.

The bad news is that you have to finish one of the games puzzles in order to start making them. The third one that becomes available, “Duality” (piece locations here because I can't be bothered to list that. Just going to say that you'll need Valor form maxed out in advance) will give you the recipe for the Lucky Ring's base form (Which you have to synthesize first before going on your Lucky Ring synthesis spree, by the way). The ingredients for the Draw/Lucky Ring are as follows (Credit to the Kingdom Hearts Wiki for all the the recipes and enemies/areas that hold the synthesis items):

3 Remembrance Shard (Iron Hammer, Silent Launcher; Cavern of Remembrance)
3 Bright Gem (Magnum Loader; Space Paranoids)
5 Bright Stone (Tornado Step, Olympus Coliseum; Silver Rock, Marketplace in Agrabah)
9 Bright Shard (Rabid Dog, Port Royal, [Harbor area that exits toward the Ship, where you fight the Grim Reaper boss])
1 Serenity Crystal*
1 Manifest Illusion**

*Serenity Crystals are rare treasures that you'll earn very sporadically throughout the game, though there are a limited amount that simply won't be enough for your purposes (especially considering you'll probably want to use them on other items before you even get to this point).In order to get more you have to Rank up the Moogle stall to level 8, after which you can synthesize more with the following recipe:

1 Tranquil Crystal ***
1 Remembrance Crystal(Reckless; Cavern of Remembrance [Conveyor Belt room])
9 Bright Crystal (Crescendo, Olympus Coliseum)

**The Manifest Illusions are found as treasures in the cavern of Remembrance. There's three of them there. If you want more, you'll have to upgrade the Serenity Crystal Recipe above with a Serenity Gem.(Mad Bumper, Reckless; Cavern of Remembrance.)

***Tranquil Materials are rewards for passing the Mushroom XIII minigames with a certain requirement. Generally the easiest one to do this for at lower levels is Mushroom #4 in the Land of Dragons. Equip Oathkeeper,Turn into Wisdom Form, and run like hell in a circle while shooting the mushroom doppelgangers. Provided you're circling around the arena properly it shouldn't be too difficult.

If you're high-level, Mushroom #5 in the Cave of Wonders is a better choice. Equip Final Form with as many combo and finisher plus abilities as you can and wail on him relentlessly (you may need to use aerial combos).You need to beat him within 10 seconds to get the best reward.

When you've finally scraped together the materials and gotten a decent amount of Lucky Rings, feel free to go for Full Bloom+ and Shade Archive+ synthesis:

Full Bloom/+
1 Lost Illusion ****
1 Manifest Illusion
1 Tranquil Crystal
3 Serenity Gem
1 Serenity Crystal (+ only)

Shade Archive/+
1 Lost Illusion
1 Manifest Illusion
1 Remembrance Crystal
3 Serenity Gem
7 Remembrance Shard
1 Serenity Crystal

**** Lost Illusions are rare treasures throughout the game. That said, farming them off of Marluxia's Replica data (assuming you're playing normally) gives you an unlimited supply without too much trouble.

I'll put the Ultima Weapon recipe here as well, since that also gives MP Hastega
Remember that UW can't be made until the shop is at least Moogle level 2.
13 Orichalcum+ (Linking the locations since this is long enough and I'm lazy)
1 Orichalcum (One of both these and the Mythril Crystal should be found in The Emperor's Throne Room in the Land of Dragons. I think you can synthesize more, but it's easier to just keep one of each on hand)
1 Mythril Crystal
1 Dense Crystal (Berserkers, World that Never Was)
1 Twilight Crystal (Sorcerers, World that Never Was)
7 Serenity Crystals (See Serenity Crystal recipe)

The other stuff you get through Synthesis like the ribbon and Shock Charm are pretty useful, but they aren't nearly as important and mostly serve as reinforcement for your defenses.

Part 3 coming tomorrow!

That's got advice for Sephiroth and Organization members 13 through 10 (or 9...or 8, I haven't decided how I'm going to break it up yet).

Falk

that puzzling face
For those of you wondering (all 1 of you) I can now confirm achievements are shared between JP and EN, while saves/game data (unlocking main credits etc) are not.

Gameinformer gave it a 9. I don't understand why this collection is having much higher metascore ATM than 1.5. It doesn't contain Kingdom Hearts 1 so there must be an error somewhere!

Added spoiler tag suggestion in the op like you suggested Falk.

Seda

Gameinformer gave it a 9. I don't understand why this collection is having much higher metascore ATM than 1.5. It doesn't contain Kingdom Hearts 1 so there must be an error somewhere!

GameInformer's review is so barebones, haha

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Cause this contains 2 of the best games, 1.5 only had one pretty good game, and one decent one depending on your preference

I'll salute anyone who can beat all Absent Silhouettes as soon as they appear on Critical. I can only handle Marluxia really well nowdays but Larxene destroys me in seconds :d. Need dat Second Chance+Once More

I'll salute anyone who can beat all Absent Silhouettes as soon as they appear on Critical. I can only handle Marluxia really well nowdays but Larxene destroys me in seconds :d.

Vexen pushes my shit in even when I prepare for him. He's still the only Org. XIII member I can never consistently beat.

Falk

that puzzling face
GameInformer's review is so barebones, haha

No mention of the music, and of all things they picked Timeless River for the KH2FM section of their video preview because an approximation of '20s cartoon is the best way to show off a HD remake!

/salt

I'll salute anyone who can beat all Absent Silhouettes as soon as they appear on Critical. I can only handle Marluxia really well nowdays but Larxene destroys me in seconds :d. Need dat Second Chance+Once More

Is that even possible? Heh.

Also Vexen seems easier on critical in relation to the others just because of the reduced effective HP. Still not tackling till endgame though. Na-uh.

aravuus

It is quite good for PS3 but it's not perfect. Mainly it has no AA and of course 60 fps would be nice.

60fps still makes me want to play KH2 on an emulator rather than PS3. The HD version just has the regular Final Mix stuff, right? No new shit?

Cause I mean goddamn, KH in 60fps is some magical shit

Top Bottom