• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Twitter & Website updates thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Was this posted?

Siliconera: Behind the Mechs

7z3Szz5.jpg

I'm in love with that mech design. I hope they're highly customizable.

that doesnt look like a mech from xenoblade x

Lumyst

I can live with the faces, but if the armor design is as terrible as Xenoblade's... well, maybe that will make the faces look better by comparison.

I like those goofy things though :p It came as a relief to me to see that lighthearted/goofy things were going to be in this game, the first couple trailers made me curious if they were going to to make this game more serious or less cartoonish/less colorful than Xenoblade. But since E3, with Nopon, digging through dinosaur crap, lumbering aliens with huge hands going about their business in a city, jumping around in peoples' backyards, the promise of sexy armor
(and maybe a return of breast physics)
, and the ability to create an unusual looking character, I know it'll keep me smiling like a Nintendo game should. :)

Mecha looks cool, I hope they show some concept art for the ones in X as well.

Also, c'mon Takahashi, you have the prettiest game on the system, give me some screenshots with those tweets =P

Curious about the online play. Xenoblade was cool but it felt like it was missing that 'play with others' function while roaming the landscapes. Would be cool to at least see other people roaming and attacking monsters.

I think the multiplayer will be more of a coop thing, and less of an MMO thing.

But yeah, some NPCs fighting monsters in the wild would've been cool...

I don't know how much I would've liked it though (what if they're fighting a monster I need for a hunting quest? >.>)

wmlk

I don't like the method of just tweeting info. Show more of the game if it's only a few months away from release.

Show, don't tell.

Takahashi is just giving more details on Yanase and Mugitani's contributions on the project. He mentions that Yanase is famous for his work on Gundam 00, and that he recalls that he joined the project around the time Kotobukiya's Frame Arms model kits were announced. His request for Yanase was to design the Dolls in the game to mechs which can transform into multiple different vehicle types from single convertible base frames.

He then talks about Mugitani. Apparently he'll be handling the entire design line for "a certain faction" in the game. He's being sort of vague, but he says that he requested him to join the project because in all of Japan he feels that this is something only Mugitani can design. He remembers first meeting him for this project at a coffee shop in Tachikawa, and he's very pleased that each time he gets designs back from him, they are really detailed. Apparently we can also look forward to his designs of "sexy battle suits" for some troops. :p

I really hope those "sexy battle suits" are for both genders.

I don't like the method of just tweeting info. Show more of the game if it's only a few months away from release.

Show, don't tell.

We'll obviously get more trailers as the Japanese release window approaches, but in general it seems like Monolith is playing this pretty close to their chest. We still haven't seen more than the occasional glimpse of areas beyond the Primordial Wilderness and New Los Angeles at the very beginning of the game.

I don't think it's an issue whether they can or can't show off much of the game judging by how far along the E3 demo looked, but more along the lines that they simply don't want to spoil much of the game and would prefer to surprise players for the first time with the new locations and the story instead of showing them off a ton in footage and screenshots before release.

wsippel

Banned
I wonder what a sexy battle looks like.
You could visit his website to get an idea. Basically, kinda like Kos-Mos I guess, except Kos-Mos' design was quite tame by his standards, not to mention he seems to have a thing for rather young girls. Got to say though, as impractical as it might be, I really kinda like the biker outfit featured on the site.

I feel like the lack of info is severely driving some of the hype down though.

At the very least they should show off some of the more intricate later game mech battles.

wmlk

....we just got some info

None of the info we've gotten really changes anything in any way. Especially for people who played Xenogears and Xenosaga.

If dropping names that most people haven't heard of constitutes as info, then yeah I guess we did just get some. It's hard for anyone outside of dedicated fans to care, though, and that's the problem.

I want this game to do well and promoting the game consistently would go a long way. There's a lingering fear that everyone has that this game could bomb.

llehuty

Relax, this game is going to bomb/not bomb independently of the hype it gets 1 year (or more) before its release. We should get japanese trailers and stuff soon anyway.

And I personally think we are getting enough info, we had plenty of new footage just one month ago...

Zolbrod

I wonder if Nintendo will introduce a Amiibo mech line for the game.

I will be (only slightly) disappointed if Shulk's Amiibo doesn't unlock some kind of (minor) perk.

Also: Xenoblade had fantastic armor design, what the hell are you people smoking?

random25

We just got served a good amount of info back at E3, from new trailer to gameplay footage. We'll get flooded with more stuff once it gets closer to its Spring release in Japan. People behind the scenes are still great info, as we can at least get to know them and what have they done in the past that will possibly influence how the game will turn out, from story to design, and even music.

Nanashrew

Banned
Information is going to start off slow. Splatoon's Twitter account started off telling us what we already knew before we got to the good stuff.

Blunoise

hey guys i put a request for an X on my avatar. was wondering if someone could do that. hope i dont get in trouble for asking here? ima new guy :) but an old lurker for 5years lol

Updates 2-3 times per week should mean we will get another one today. I have a feeling "2-3 times per week" will turn into 2-3 more times before the game is released, though.

Astral Dog

None of the info we've gotten really changes anything in any way. Especially for people who played Xenogears and Xenosaga.

If dropping names that most people haven't heard of constitutes as info, then yeah I guess we did just get some. It's hard for anyone outside of dedicated fans to care, though, and that's the problem.

I want this game to do well and promoting the game consistently would go a long way. There's a lingering fear that everyone has that this game could bomb.

The game is going to bomb regardless, we dont even know when it comes out in Japan besides spring, this is just a few updates to speak a little about the game.

Relax, this game is going to bomb/not bomb independently of the hype it gets 1 year (or more) before its release. We should get japanese trailers and stuff soon anyway.

And I personally think we are getting enough info, we had plenty of new footage just one month ago...

This game is also going to bomb/not bomb regardless of whether it's a great game or not. I've seen just about zero correlation between market success and game quality in the last couple generations. That said, I don't think Nintendo cares so much about selling copies of this game as much as simply being able to show off the Wii U as a well-rounded system. Ideally, its success will be measured more by critical response than the size of the audience. Is that realistic? Of course not.

Is it possible that Takahashi isn't really trying to gain more sales but rather just wants to share information about the work of his team to loyal fans? Probably not, but that's how I'm going to take it in regardless.

Lumyst

^Read Question 7 and Answer 7 here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627qa/02.html

Takahashi tweeting about the game is one of the channels Miyamoto mentioned: "We are planning to announce details of this software’s content through various channels." The developers tweeting about Xenoblade X (and Splatoon for that matter) are to convey information about the product through a channel that Nintendo hasn't used much before to promote their games.

L~A

[高橋]すみません、今日はデザイナーさんのご紹介からちょっと脱線します。ドールについてどうしても少しお知らせしたくて。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/540431037176619008

[高橋]ドールの身長は大体人の5倍、9~10メートルになります。これはキャラクターとロボットが混在した状態でのマップ探索やバトルを行う際の最適値として算出した値です。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/540431174951108609

[高橋]ロボットがこれ以上のサイズになるとマップのサイズも更に巨大な物になり、総バジェットの問題だけでなく、そもそもキャラで探索する際に間延びしてしまうためです。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/540431280639193088

[高橋]モノリスが設立されて15年、本作においてようやく僕の中での課題であったキャラとロボットが混在しても成立するRPGを実現出来たと思っています。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/540431441109069825

random25

New info! Using google translate, this time it's about the doll's design. Only sensible information I can get from the "translation" is that the doll's height is five times that of a human's, roughly 9-10m.

Running them together:

[Takahashi] My apologies, but today I will depart from introducing the game's designers to talk a little bit about the 'Dolls'. Dolls are about 5 times larger than a tall human, at about 9~10 meters (Translator's note: roughly 29"6' ~ 32"9') tall. We calculated this to be the optimal height for the robots when coexisting with humans while searching the map and battling. If we made the robots larger, the map would also have to be even larger, which is not just a problem of the game's overall budget, but also searching the map would take an overly long time as a human. It's been 15 years since Monolith Soft was founded and I finally feel like I have successfully created an RPG with humans and robots co-exist, a long held vision of mine.

Please correct if any mistakes.

Masked Man

I said wow
Takahashi said:
I don't want to get sidetracked from these designer introductions, but I'd like to explain a few things about the Dolls. The mechs are about five times as large as a human being--roughly 9-10 meters tall. After a few calculations, we determined that would be the most appropriate size for situations in which humans and robots coexist onscreen. If we were to make the mechs any bigger, the map would also expand into something enormous. Not only would that inflate the budget, but it would also make exploring as a human character quite exhausting. Creating a world where humans and robots can exist without feeling incongruous has been a personal objective of mine since the founding of Monolith Soft fifteen years ago, and I'm happy to say that I have finally achieved that goal.

There you go!

EDIT: Looks like StreetsAhead was one street ahead of me. ;)

duckroll

Zzzzz. What a non-update. :p

He says that the Dolls are about 5 times the size of a person - about 9-10 meters tall. This proportion between mechs and characters was something they calculated to have the best balance for exploration and battles. If the mechs got any bigger, then they would have to create even larger maps, and not only would the budget increase, but it would also get boring exploring the wider areas when on foot. Overall though, he's really happy to have finally accomplished making a RPG where there are characters and robots integrated throughout the game after 15 years since founding Monolithsoft.

Edit: Oh it's been taken care of. Zzzz.

random25

Running them together:

Please correct if any mistakes.

That last sentence gives me great confidence in this game. Love his former works Xenogears and Xenosaga, and those got cut off from his original vision of a Sci-Fi RPG. Really excited to the final product!

It's probably just that I've been playing so much Xenoblade lately that I instinctively knew what he was talking about. ;)

Also, good night, duckroll!

I need to play more Xenoblade but it's so hard to find time play. Barely have 2.5 hours a day to myself let alone time for gaming and I always want to play Xenoblade for hours at a time.

duckroll

That last sentence gives me great confidence in this game. Love his former works Xenogears and Xenosaga, and those got cut off from his original vision of a Sci-Fi RPG. Really excited to the final product!

It's silly to say Xenogears was cut off from his original vision. I think that will probably forever remain the one game where Takahashi got the most out of what he wanted when he was aiming the highest purely as a creator. Ever since Monolithsoft, it's clear he has other responsibilities beyond just having a creative vision. He has the run the studio, he has to make sure people stay employed, and he has to embrace the culture of being a Nintendo subsidiary.

It's probably just that I've been playing so much Xenoblade lately that I instinctively knew what he was talking about. ;)

Also, good night, duckroll!

I'm not sleeping. It's just a really boring update! :p

I knew Takahashi must be happy with the fact he's able to finally have mechs in a game where there are not a simple switch that just makes you have a turn-based fight with different attributes against similar size enemies most of the time. Or be able to only use them in areas that couldn't be navigated in human form. It was still basically moving in the same areas and the same qay.

Now the difference in the scale of the mech to a human allow for a completely new way to approach monsters and the worlds.

I too have been waiting for a game that let's me do this. I'm glad after 15 years Takahashi's vision has been fulfilled.

The real-time switching is what had me pumping my hands in the air when I first saw ten trailer.

Good point about height too. If the mechs where as large as past Xeno games you could explore the world too quickly and be too much bigger than normal-size enemies. I prefer this size to the regular giant robot.

Masked Man

I said wow
I need to play more Xenoblade but it's so hard to find time play. Barely have 2.5 hours a day to myself let alone time for gaming and I always want to play Xenoblade for hours at a time.

I'm of the same mindset, so I've just instead taken to sacrificing precious hours of sleep in favor of fulfilling ancillary requests and
rebuilding Colony 6
, albeit somewhat slowly. Just made it halfway through
Mechonis Field
(dat music mmmmmmmffffffff)!

I'm not sleeping. It's just a really boring update! :p

I know--I was just teasing. :p

OmegaDL50

I suppose that BLADE building is the tower with a percentage on it in the trailer then. Hmmm.. That is interesting

Has anyone ever gone into wonder what that percentage thing means on the Blade Tower?

Remaining fuel? Remaining food stocks? How much left artificial oxygen is generated by the city atmosphere to make surviving possible on the planet?

So many different possible theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom