• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Is It That Western Game Showcases Put So Much Emphasis On Showing The Creators, While Japanese Game Showcases Just Focus On Showing The Game?

Doom85

-a thread starts on the extremely shaky premise that western developers are doing something Japanese developers would NEVER do
-quite a few people show proof that developers of all regions do this

The response from people who just won’t take a L and have some weird obsession with hating western developers:

Friday Movie GIF

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I've always observed this, but it became brutally apparent today. All while watching this Direct I kept saying "why are you showing me these people". I don't give a fuck, just show me the game. Tetsuya Takahashi the creator of the Xeno games is my favorite creator in gaming. Even so, I don't want to see this dude on camera half of the time talking about Xenoblade during a showcase. I just want to see the game and let the results speak for themselves.

How would you otherwise know how inclusive and diverse the development studio is?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I've always observed this, but it became brutally apparent today. All while watching this Direct I kept saying "why are you showing me these people". I don't give a fuck, just show me the game. Tetsuya Takahashi the creator of the Xeno games is my favorite creator in gaming. Even so, I don't want to see this dude on camera half of the time talking about Xenoblade during a showcase. I just want to see the game and let the results speak for themselves.
It’s corporate bullshit. Basically ‘look at how cool and trendy we are, we’re working but playing pool together and swinging in a hammock!’

Like who the fuck actually used a hammock at work and if you do you don’t have a really job.

Microsoft trying to humanise themselves but making it painfully obvious they don’t have any idea what a human being actually is. It’s like the politicians in the UK posing for a pint, trying to look like normal human beings who have a pint after work but always managing to look like fucking freaks.

SEI_75761789.jpg

Doom85

……so this is just a “I blindly hate western developers and everything they do offends me to the core!” thread now? Like, let’s at least be honest here.

hxwIri9.png

Last edited:

MacReady13

……so this is just a “I blindly hate western developers and everything they do offends me to the core!” thread now? Like, let’s at least be honest here.

hxwIri9.png

No it isn’t that at all. It’s that we don’t really give a flying fuck about how you say you made the game (which is just cleverly designed to show us diversity hires) we just want to see gameplay. It’s all I wanted for the Indy portion and I got a good look at it! What the “devs” said mean absolutely zero to me. Simple.

mortal

Gold Member
No it isn’t that at all. It’s that we don’t really give a flying fuck about how you say you made the game (which is just cleverly designed to show us diversity hires) we just want to see gameplay. It’s all I wanted for the Indy portion and I got a good look at it! What the “devs” said mean absolutely zero to me. Simple.
Then why even watch a DEVELOPER direct? No one is forcing you to watch any of those dev videos.
Just watch normal gameplay trailers and wait for a game to release. Why complain about something that is 100% avoidable?

Mister Wolf

Especially when it's a showcase for games that we've seen little to no footage of, that you've been fucking hyping up for years.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Especially when it's a showcase for games that we've barely seen any footage of that you've been fucking hyping up for years.
It's a developer showcase. It's literally in the name of the format. There's also precedent since this is the second one they've done, so you already know what you're getting yourself into.

danklord

Gold Member
Not a lot of publicly digestible game footage to show beyond what's achievable in trailers so they put the spotlight on the devs telling you authentically about their project instead of overhyped CG sizzles from marketing teams that don't match reality.

They show a vertical slice made mid-development that changes upon release? Downgrade.

They show a CG trailer that achieves look and feel? Deceptive

In making game trailers, often teams receive broken builds that change weekly, watermarked PR-approved footage, and all sorts of other scraps to try and cobble together something great. It's a very challenging task. The direct approach is a great way to augment traditional marketing with more content that speaks directly to the fans.

Also, Japanese developers do this all the time... I'm not sure why you think it's a western problem. Nintendo Direct, for example.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I bet putting devs in front of cameras is cheaper than paying a few dozen streamers six figure sums each to play the game for a few hours. As for Japanese companies, I don't think a lot of people still realise what bad environments many of them are and how they are run by total control freaks who are not very far away from being mafia.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
-a thread starts on the extremely shaky premise that western developers are doing something Japanese developers would NEVER do
-quite a few people show proof that developers of all regions do this

The response from people who just won’t take a L and have some weird obsession with hating western developers:

Friday Movie GIF

Also, the one Japanese game, in the show OP made this reactionary thread after, had just as much close-ups of the creators faces as the Western counterparts.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
For 1, there's nothing wrong with highlighting creators. In fact, I would encourage publishers and developers to do that more.

And second, I could list half a dozen Japanese creators who are always introduced along with their games.

Kojima, was on stage at TGA to talk about whatever the fuck OD is.
Yoshi-P (along with the other dev leads from the game) is at every FF14 dev stream, and was the same with FF16.
Tetsuya Nomura, and Yoshinori Kitase are highlighted with FF7 Remake and Rebirth news
Yoko Taro is unmissable
Ikumi Nakamura has been front and center for the last 2 days she's directed - most recently at the TGA

Mister Wolf Mister Wolf I'm sorry man, but you made a mistake and misread the title of the event:

maxresdefault.jpg

This event above is more like this event:

maxresdefault.jpg

The type of event you're looking for is one of the 3 below:

maxresdefault.jpg

hq720.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

MacReady13

It's a developer showcase. It's literally in the name of the format. There's also precedent since this is the second one they've done, so you already know what you're getting yourself into.
Oh fucking please. You mean to tell me that you watched it to watch the developers over the games? We ALL know these things are to showcase games. It’s what we all watch them for. This is just how Microsoft do them. I hate it. I wanna see games. I could fucking care less about anything the devs say.

Kacho

We can thank our lord and savior, Todd Howard, for that

In all seriousness, I remember it being a thing during the 360 era. EA would do those types of videos for Dead Space and Star Wars Force Unleashed. It kinda stuck.

mortal

Gold Member
Oh fucking please. You mean to tell me that you watched it to watch the developers over the games? We ALL know these things are to showcase games. It’s what we all watch them for. This is just how Microsoft do them. I hate it. I wanna see games. I could fucking care less about anything the devs say.
Yes, I did. Also, what's with the fucking attitude? What were you expecting in a Developer Direct where they had the very same format last year?
Obviously, it's to showcase their forthcoming games, they showed the games and the developers making them and a bit of the process.

How are you struggling to grasp this? Xbox has and will continue to show off its titles throughout the year in the form of showcases in addition to proper gameplay trailers. You guys are just bitching for the sake of bitching with no rational thought as to why you're even doing it.

MacReady13

Yes, I did. Also, what's with the fucking attitude? What were you expecting in a Developer Direct where they had the very same format last year?
Obviously, it's to showcase their forthcoming games, they showed the games and the developers making them and a bit of the process.

How are you struggling to grasp this? Xbox has and will continue to show off its titles throughout the year in the form of showcases in addition to proper gameplay trailers. You guys are just bitching for the sake of bitching with no rational thought as to why you're even doing it.
Don’t mean to come across with an attitude. Look, I don’t like this style of presentation. It’s so fake and almost gives me a feeling of North Korea vibes where everything is roses and sunshine and we will show you the absolute best of us even though the real devs are slaving away behind closed doors.
I just came for gameplay like we all did is all I’m saying. I got that with Indy and I’m happy.

Kacho

This was 3 years ago. Patrick Weekes with the danger hair still cracks me up. Dude went from a normie looking nerd to full blown REE poster lol

Codes 208

All i can think of is the year sony wasted like 30 minutes of their e3 for changing revenues just so they could do a live orchestra for gow.

I mean, thats cool to have some good music, but it was also a lot of fluff thwt didnt need to be there.

And Nintendo does this too. In the directs focusing on one or two games, they spend 30 minutes giving the most basic speech and on-screen tutorials as if they took a page out of gamefreak’s book

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This is pure speculation but possibly as a point of PR for the creators or some odd way of angling brand awareness as some self infatuated tribute. Doesn't make much sense to myself either as you'd typically want to market brand reputation toward the product...not the creator.

Doom85

mortal

Gold Member
Don’t mean to come across with an attitude. Look, I don’t like this style of presentation. It’s so fake and almost gives me a feeling of North Korea vibes where everything is roses and sunshine and we will show you the absolute best of us even though the real devs are slaving away behind closed doors.
I just came for gameplay like we all did is all I’m saying. I got that with Indy and I’m happy.
All good. I can even understand and agree with some of the criticism that it may be too scripted or even comes off as cringe.
None of these developers are entitled to your admiration or respect simply because they are developers.
Having said that, these games are still made by people, and I don't think there's anything wrong with having more of a human element in these.
It's one dedicated format in the year filled with conventional trailers and longer game-focused showcases.

If you're not interested in this particular format simply ignore it and go spend your time on something worth your time, rather being being upset about its mere existence, that's all I'm saying.
Hating people for simply having the nerve to talk about something they spend years of their lives working on just comes off as needlessly indignant.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

Bruh, what are you talking about? Kojima, Sakurai, Miyamoto, I remember the team who did Yoshi’s Wooly World talked during the game’s reveal, etc. do this sometimes. This is not a Westem-exclusive thing.
Yeah, Yakuza devs and Monster Hunter devs are shown often as well (not just team leads). Also there are many showcases that aren't even translated for us and stay Japan only that are like 2-3 hours of developers talking and maybe 5 minutes of gameplay bits thrown in that only Gematsu will report.

Also Iwata Asks segments were amazing.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
When is the last time you watched a Japanese direct? Because they have a different problem an that is they focus too much on banter and bring in random celebrities that have nothing to do with the game and they waste too much time on that instead of actually showing their games.

From what I have seen if you aren't Capcom or the FF14 Developers this is typical behavior for Japanese Direct streams and it makes them hard to watch for me.

MarkMe2525

Probably for the same reasons for why
Japan's been CRUSHING the West in terns if game quality and ideas, especially AAA.
So your idea is that the same motivating factor that causes Japanese showcases to, most of the time, show more gameplay, is what also drives their development studios to "CRUSH West in terns if game quality and ideas". Seems like that checks out.

They want to show how diverse their hair colors and earrings are…….that’s more important to them than the bloody games they make. Bunch of self absorbed weirdos.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The showcase that happened today is called Developer Direct and exists specifically to showcase the development teams that make the games and how the games development of said games is going in the process. It's the only showcase dedicated to that, while all of the other showcases are basically just trailers played back to back.

The whole premise of your thread makes absolutely no sense.
Underappreciated post.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
And when they do show the "game", they just show cinematic trailers that dont feature any in game footage until its nearly launch time.
Because if they showcase the gameplay and for some reason the internet decides its shitty the lose a bunch of presales. Why show the game is ass when you can hide it for as long as possible and make more money from that? Western Publishers (not developers per se but some) Dont give a damn about the game it's the ability to HYPE the game and generate interest in the game and than sell the game. Who cares about the game... They want 3 months of sales and move on..

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Japanese devs have traditionally been pretty secretive. To this day, some of them still don't want to be traced down and interviewed about games they worked on 30+ years ago. It's the west that decided to make a fuss about some of them. This is how you get modern day Kojima.

Western devs are also expected to have DEI teams, so this is what will be thrown in your face.

Finally, if the audience gets to know the devs, they are likely to blame the devs instead of the publisher when a game turns out to be shit.

Famipan

Not sure if that’s true.

Developers probably prefers to not show any gameplay footage before the game is finished.

Gameplay reveals just makes people talk bad or get deceived about certain details of an unfinished product.

Instead having developer talking about the game still counts as marketing of the game, and their words can easily be cited by publishers and media helping marketing that elusive game without promising more than they can deliver (still happens all the time).

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This was 3 years ago. Patrick Weekes with the danger hair still cracks me up. Dude went from a normie looking nerd to full blown REE poster lol

Weekes has no choice now his self-identified identity is non binary. You can't become a they/them without the blue hair and glasses. It's important to signal to the world that you're not a boring heterosexual male but much cooler than that.

IaghYkk.jpg

But to be honest, this is just a guy going through a midlife crisis whose progressive politics forbids him to buy a Harley-Davidson or dump his wife for a 20 year old bimbo.

Mister Wolf

Not sure if that’s true.

Developers probably prefers to not show any gameplay footage before the game is finished.

Gameplay reveals just makes people talk bad or get deceived about certain details of an unfinished product.

Instead having developer talking about the game still counts as marketing of the game, and their words can easily be cited by publishers and media helping marketing that elusive game without promising more than they can deliver (still happens all the time).

This was released a whole 6 months before Dragon's Dogma 2's release date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom