• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore: The Final Console Generation, MS going Third Party, and MS debated putting the original Halo on PlayStation

ManaByte

Gold Member

The broader picture — and we certainly feared during my time even at Microsoft — we were saying then, in 2007, is this the last console generation? Do televisions start to come with chips that can play games and you just need a controller? Is the PC, as it was then, a renaissance? And why do you need a bespoke piece of hardware that costs us, Microsoft, billions upon billions of dollars to install, and you hope to hell you get an attach rate of software and something out of your Xbox Live, your connected service, that would justify the losses, the hemorrhaging of cash that hardware costs you?

And then you think back now to music and gosh, Zune and iPod — and I go back to Discman and Walkman — bespoke devices that play music. Well, we don't have those anymore. And so now, whatever's streaming out of my phone on Spotify, or I listen to a lot of music on SoundCloud, but I don't have anything that plays music. Somebody gave me a DVD the other day, I have nowhere to actually look at this. Now the smartphone dominates. So gaming isn't immune to these changes in technology and viewing, listening, and playing habits.

And what are we doing? Well, we're not in the living room anymore. We're back in the bedroom with our YouTube influencers, our TikTok creators, and it's about content on demand. And we are going through the same thing in sports. So you're seeing all of these different pressures, if you will, on this next generation that Phil's talking about. Gen Z is coming through and they're going, why do I need to spend four or 500 bucks on a bespoke piece of gaming hardware when I've got my smartphone, or I got my PC or my Mac, and I can do things there with a pretty decent controller?

So I think that's what we're facing. In particular Microsoft with Azure is thinking, are we now finally ready for cloud gaming? Are we finally ready to just crank on our 8K television, get in our gaming menu with 10,000 games available? Who's playing what right now? Click, go, play.

You mentioned that even as early as 2007 internally you were wondering, is this the last console generation?

Yeah, the Xbox 360, during the back end of that. You have that concern. If you were thinking then of something that launched the mid-2000s, what does the end of the decade look like and how long the cycles were — usually five, six years — and what does it look like in five, six years? Are we going to need another? Well, the answer ultimately was yes, but the questions were being asked then. And why? Because you've got faster, cheaper broadband, more ubiquitous in just about everybody's home. I always remember this: you're looking at music and the lessons learned, and all of a sudden streaming of high definition movies was starting to happen as we had those capabilities at home. Again, gaming wasn't immune to this. The thing that kept us going was, games were 30 gigabytes then or 40 gigabytes and music was four megabytes, and a movie you could stream, but it was linear and passive.

Do you think this is the last console generation?

Well, it's a great question already. PS5 saying, yeah, maybe we could sunset this thing, but no mention of a PS6. Now look, Sony is very much a hardware company, so I would say that that's your barometer company. Microsoft, not so much. Microsoft I'm sure would love it if everything moved into the cloud. The only thing that Microsoft doesn't get to play in as well as anybody else is the smartphone business, right? Because that's where Apple, Google, the handset manufacturers will benefit from enormously and they already are. They're making tens of billions of dollars without really trying in gaming with the 30% royalties.

But I think it's a real serious question that's being asked I'm sure in Tokyo, in Redmond, Washington, in Kyoto. That's what everybody's working on right now, because when you start off that next generation, you've got to be ready to absorb billions of dollars in losses. And is the industry, given all the layoffs and everything we're going through right now, is the industry ready for that? Look at Sony laying off 900 people — a lot there in the UK. My two eldest daughters work at EA, they're all right, but they're always looking over their shoulder.

Peter, it very much sounds like you are suggesting the era of consoles might be coming to an end.

What I'm saying is the questions are being asked, as they have been for the last 20 years. Are we ready to gird our loins financially for battle and all of the cost of development, silicon development? What is it that PS6 can do that PS5 can’t that would make people jump from PS5, or same with Xbox, same with Switch, right? God forbid it's just incremental. And I think that the companies are also looking at that. What can we do to extend this life cycle?

We know Nintendo is making a next-generation console. Most people assume Sony will make a PS6. It feels like there are question marks over whether Microsoft has another meaningful generation of Xbox in it, though.

I'm not being a doomsayer. What I think Phil is doing is setting up some smoke signals that we're thinking very differently. And then the idea of, well, we bought Activision Blizzard King, but we may not make those games ultimately exclusive on our platform. There may not be a platform, and we turn into what we really had at our roots, which is a software and services company.

While you were at Sega you witnessed the company go from first-party to third-party after the failure of the Dreamcast. Can you comprehend Microsoft going third-party in the same way?

I think the words first-party and third-party may just disappear. It'll just be, we make great games and we deliver a phenomenal service on which you can play our games, and first-party and third-party, those are legacies of hardware.

I think the question that will be being asked from Nadella and the executive team to Phil is, alright, what we've just given you, whatever it was, $69 billion, but what does the next five to 10 years look like, Phil? What is the long-term strategy? Exactly what's going on right now? And yeah, they'll be like, alright, we're thinking about what the next-generation of hardware could look like. But the challenge will undoubtedly be coming from Nadella: what does it look like without hardware? And so that's going on right now, and, what do we look like if we're more like EA than we are Sony? So that's what I'm sure is going on.

Microsoft recently released some of its exclusives on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch. There are reports Microsoft is considering bringing other, more high-profile games to rival consoles. When you were in charge of Xbox, would you have ever done this? And why do you think Microsoft is doing it now?

I think they're dipping the toes in the water to see how all of this works. And you do it a little bit tentatively and go, all right, let's test the ecosystem here. We're not throwing Halo out there.

I do remember conversations about Halo on PlayStation. You're constantly looking. You get into wargaming, which we did prior to the launch of Xbox 360 as a team. We went away for a couple of days and I played the role of Ken Kutaragi, and this was fascinating to me. McKinsey, the consultancy group, set this up and the idea is you understand your competition a little better when you do some wargames.

My job was, how would PlayStation react to Xbox 360 and what would they do, as they did to me in Dreamcast with the fear, uncertainty, and doubt? We went through two days of this and we learned a lot. It scared us because you're stunned to figure out, well wait, I hadn't thought of that. You mean they might do that to us or this might happen? And so you're constantly thinking about every scenario, as ridiculous or disruptive or radical as it sounds. You have to, absolutely have to.

Once upon a time you stood on a stage and showed the world a Halo 2 tattoo to promote Xbox. Now, do you see Microsoft releasing Halo on PlayStation?

Look, if Microsoft says, wait, we're doing $250 million on our own platforms, but if we then took Halo as, let's call it a third-party, we could do a billion… You got to think long and hard about that, right? I mean, you just got to go, yeah, should it be kept? It's a piece of intellectual property. It's bigger than just a game. And how do you leverage that? Those are the conversations that always happen with, how do you leverage it in everything that we would do?

It's had its ups and downs, but look, Xbox wouldn't be what Xbox is without Halo. But yeah, I'm sure those conversations are happening. Whether they come to fruition, who knows? But they're definitely happening, I'm sure.

Do you think any potential backlash from the hardcore Xbox community at such a decision would make a meaningful difference to Microsoft?

The question would be, ultimately, is that reaction enough not to make a fundamental business decision for the future of not only Microsoft’s business, but gaming in itself? Those hardcore are getting smaller in size and older in age. You've got to cater to the generations that are coming through, because they're going to drive the business over the next 10, 20 years.

Kilau

We go down fighting!

b1f.gif

Eotheod

They are not wrong about the dedicated hardcore community, who may appear large in vocal representation but in actual hard numbers are far less than the average gamer. Your average joe gamer really doesn't care where they play, as long as it is capable of having CoD and FIFA on it they are most certainly happy.

Couple in the global economic downturn after a huge pandemic, job costings rising by more than 200% and the time taken to actually make games increasing every year, and you truly have a recipe of disasters. That doesn't mean bespoke devices will disappear tomorrow, nor does it mean Microsoft are sinking the ship ASAP to gain quicker financial turnover as third party. It just makes financially more sense to provide your catalogue across all devices and get 150% the return comparative to maybe 50% of the return on one install base.
If they were able to make CoD exclusive, they'd be talking out of the other side of their mouth.
COD exclusive would be the death of COD. No one platform can have COD, it just does not make sense from a player access point of view but also as a business why provide solely 70% to the competition when you can have some 100% returns alongside?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they were able to make CoD exclusive, they'd be talking out of the other side of their mouth.

GaaS games must become platform agnostic (the Fortnite model) to survive long-term. That's why Sea of Thieves is going to PlayStation and the Switch 2 in 2025.

FrankWza

COD exclusive would be the death of COD. No one platform can have COD, it just does not make sense from a player access point of view but also as a business why provide solely 70% to the competition when you can have some 100% returns alongside?
Didn't stop them from trying.
Do you remember "you don't spend 70billion to ship games on other consoles"? That was a common phrase thrown around for a long time.

SHA

I don't think it will go like the psp and the 3ds, let that sink for a sec, if this thing happens, people will remember this incident for another 20 years like the one in the 80s, what happened back then is the console business on shitty state and no body gives a shit, anyone felt attached to consoles back then felt the emptiness, thankfully I'm not one of them and that's a releaf.

Mattyp

Gold Member
The death of the console as we know it will happen in around 2 decades, what does Sony already claim 80% or some shit of its sales are digital? You already don't own anything. Graphics will plateau to near realism and streaming will catch up to be non noticeable in ping time as compression and speed grow.

Sony would much prefer to have 100 million paying subscribers for $25 a month then to be shipping hardware. The profit margin on the consoles would be largely small to who cares when you factor in development and engineering, their main gross profit comes from micro transactions and their own store fees.

We'll have three apps eventually across any platform that has a screen and can sync a controller, Microsoft Nintendo Sony. Even if this doesn't happen in the next two decades it's inevitable.

bb86d736b77d79437fb1d1e91e4ae92b406a4f9a.gif

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Games Streaming and Subscriptions games has been a thing for years now and it has not caught on in a meaningful way.

Microsoft is trying hard to convince people that they are 5D geniuses when the reality is they keep trying to play into a future that might never happen instead of trying to play in the present.

The mass market audience that those initiatives appeal to have all moved to F2P mobile trash. they've been conditioned to not pay for games. Let alone a paid games subscription services.

Last edited:
Being a 1987 baby, it's kind of weird to think how shaky the foundation is on this thing we call "videogames." I mean, I had NES from birth and on, which while archaic by today's standards was at least a very capable system with actual games containing stories, level variety, fun gameplay etc, a huge upgrade over the blips and bloops games of years prior. But in reality videogames as we know them are in such an infantile state relative to time-tested concepts and ideas. I mean what's 40-50 years against recorded history? A blink, nothing more. This idea that these gaming experiences will last forever is such a strong feeling in your mind when it's always been there all your life, but there is no certainty that it will stick around in a familiar way for all time. It will change into something unrecognizable sooner or later, and I'm beginning to truly feel it is coming sooner than I ever anticipated.

Topher

Gold Member
The death of the console as we know it will happen in around 2 decades, what does Sony already claim 80% or some shit of its sales are digital? You already don't own anything. Graphics will plateau to near realism and streaming will catch up to be non noticeable in ping time as compression and speed grow.

Sony would much prefer to have 100 million paying subscribers for $25 a month then to be shipping hardware. The profit margin on the consoles would be largely small to who cares when you factor in development and engineering, their main gross profit comes from micro transactions and their own store fees.

We'll have three apps eventually across any platform that has a screen and can sync a controller, Microsoft Nintendo Sony. Even if this doesn't happen in the next two decades it's inevitable.

I'm not so sure. We keep hearing cloud cloud cloud, but we are not close to having the worldwide coverage to make that a reality. Will we in two decades? Perhaps, but then you have to have datacenters with enough physical hardware to provide on-demand services for a few billion people. Oh.....and do so for a relatively small monthly fee. I don't see it. I see a hell of a lot wait times for games as folks stand in a virtual line. And I also don't see the feasibility from a corporate standpoint of covering the entire planet. It is going to come to a threshold where covering every corner of the world isn't worth it. In other words, local hardware is not going anywhere. Not in two decades or even longer. It isn't just about "non noticeable" game streaming. In the end, business will follow consumer demand and I don't see consumer demand for local hardware diminishing to the point that isn't a viable business. In fact, I'd wager consumer demand will side with local hardware indefinitely.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Pretty good interview. I think what he is trying to tell them and I don't know if they get it. The people at the top are not looking at the console "wars" the way the rank and file are. He is telling you that their are lots of conversations and ideas about how to make a lot of money and grow market share.

At least that is how I read it.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty good interview. I think what he is trying to tell them and I don't know if they get it. The people at the top are not looking at the console "wars" the way the rank and file are. He is telling you that their are lots of conversations and ideas about how to make a lot of money and grow market share.

At least that is how I read it.

I read that part where Microsoft had this role playing exercise where Moore played Kutaragi and was immediately reminded of how Simon Sinek described Microsoft executives.

For sure a generation shift, Do the kids growing up these days play videos games, Can their parents even afford such things?

nush

My parents have a 4K smart TV, connected to it it's their streaming TV box. It's completely redundant as the smart TV has all the same functions and channels but that's what they use to watch TV and juggle two remotes to do that. I've told them this but "We like it this way" was the response.

You're right, for most people they won't need the TV game box. It will happen, just switch to The Nintendo Channel.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I read that part where Microsoft had this role playing exercise where Moore played Kutaragi and was immediately reminded of how Simon Sinek described Microsoft executives.

This nails it. you have to look at what you can provide to consumers and your targets, and not your competition so much. Nintendo never looks at sony and MS when determining their direction in the gaming space it has made them unique and wonderful.

I do think some people at sony focus on MS too. But it is clear that people sit at MS and discuss how to beat their competition rather than how to build the greatest product.

kyussman

Surely if PlayStation come out with PS6 Microsoft have to go too......how could they not,not having a console on the market would kill Xbox off wouldn't it.

of course they are "always looking". but that 30% cut is so fucking important and the only way you can get that is with your own platform / store front.

so right there, that incentive alone makes imperative to have your own hardware around the world. and even if console becomes just an app (which i dont think so). the console market speaks to a different audience than PC and Mobile, and probably the cost of cloud gaming will be too large that having hardware is always going to be part of the equation.

but to me, one thing is for certain: the power race is over. this gen has been atrocious regarding this. Cross-gen and remakes and remasters. and the games that are "next gen" feel and look like more of the same.

the real issue here is MS/Xbox's future in the next 2-4 years and how the industry adapts after this ongoing implosion.

Hugare

Suits really dont get it, huh?

He compares it to music streaming, but it would only be comparable if game streaming didnt have input lag, required strong internet connection, had image artifacts and etc.

The day game streaming becomes just like the native experience, then we can freak out

Companies have been trying and failing at it for decades now. So I wouldnt worry just yet.

Mr Moose

That may have been what you said, but plenty of folks were expecting Call of Duty to be an Xbox exclusive. I remember one individual in particular mocking PlayStation fans with "you'll get Warzone"
of-a-muscovy-duck-in-the-farmland-generative-ai-photo.jpg

I didn't know he changed his name, his posts make sense now lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Suits really dont get it, huh?

He compares it to music streaming, but it would only be comparable if game streaming didnt have input lag, required strong internet connection, had image artifacts and etc.

The day game streaming becomes just like the native experience, then we can freak out

Companies have been trying and failing at it for decades now. So I wouldnt worry just yet.
Lets not forget that the initial cost of building servers in every region is going to be in the tens of billions too. With consoles, you can offset that cost by having consumers foot $500 of the cost. That goes away with subscriptions.

which means they will have to produce 30-40 million consoles for the first year alone in their datacenters and eat the cost. No one is doing that.

Cyberpunkd

The death of the console as we know it will happen in around 2 decades, what does Sony already claim 80% or some shit of its sales are digital? You already don't own anything.
On PS5 Sony takes the largest cut. Imagine them having to do the following:

PS games on Samsung TV - Samsung gets the cut
PS games on AppleTV - Apple gets the cut, etc.

You know hardware manufacturers will try this. What's the solution? Your own hardware.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I thought Xbox 360 was a Microsoft product. My mistake.

You're missing the point that almost every piece of electronics designed and produced in those years (including the 360 and PS3) used lead-free solder. That was the cause of RROD and YLOD on the consoles.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
What is it that PS6 can do that PS5 can’t that would make people jump from PS5, or same with Xbox, same with Switch, right? God forbid it's just incremental. And I think that the companies are also looking at that. What can we do to extend this life cycle?

isnt that the same applies to PC and mobile phones? or am i missing something ?
people will always looking for better and more powerful hardware in premium or affordable price.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Consoles should live on until the consumers say they have moved on. When you look at the sales numbers, especially Sony and Nintendo, the console market is clearly still there and is still the best platform for generating revenue from game software. If PC or Streaming were to take over, that would prove itself out at some point. They should all be building their streaming, PC, and mobile presence as a safeguard (which they seem to be), but I wouldn't force it by taking the traditional model away. Not when it is as healthy as it is.

Regarding MS in particular there, I don't think Moore is figuring in the value of the platform enough, in pure $. Yes, they would gain more software sales by going third-party for in-house software, but they also lose that 30% that Apple is getting rich on. But, they have people running the math, so it isn't like it is something they haven't considered. I think it would be an ultimately disastrous turn for MS gaming in $ and clout, potentially even blowing the door off the hinges for things like SteamOS and Mac, but they've spent a lot of money so we'll see what they do.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You're missing the point that almost every piece of electronics designed and produced in those years (including the 360 and PS3) used lead-free solder. That was the cause of RROD and YLOD on the consoles.

No, you're missing the point that these products needed more Q&A. That's on the company who sold them.

killatopak

I reject your inevitability.

Hugare

Lets not forget that the initial cost of building servers in every region is going to be in the tens of billions too. With consoles, you can offset that cost by having consumers foot $500 of the cost. That goes away with subscriptions.

which means they will have to produce 30-40 million consoles for the first year alone in their datacenters and eat the cost. No one is doing that.
Yeah, ideally we would need something akin to optical fiber but wireless to be used on the go in order to have zero latency, zero banding while streaming, zero everything. And technology is not there yet, or at least, not available to the public at a small cost.

He compared to music streaming, and in that case we have even music on losless format on the go, which is as good as the best of physical media. We dont have that with game streaming.

The day we have something that plays as good or better than natively on consoles, then we start thinking about it.

Companies want our money right now while not investing what it takes to get us there

Topher

Gold Member

And it doesn't stop there. That infrastructure has to be refreshed every X number of years.

DragonNCM

Good watch, I guess MS learned they can't beat Sony in console space........real war is in games space.

saintjules

Hypothetically speaking, I would wonder what would be the client/application that would house all the games if they were to be on a TV via a chip that Moore suggested.

Would I know need to buy a Sony TV to play Playstation related content? Doubtful, but I'm curious to see how PS/Xbox/Nintendo would be on a natural app to house all of that. Would certainly be a weird thing to experience. But I could see something like that start to happen after the next-gen ends.

Nvzman

Xbox was definitely at its best with the 360. As a PlayStation guy, I remember being envious of the titles that machine was getting.
Yes, imo original Xbox and 360 were absolutely some fantastic consoles with the type of hard-hitting software they were getting. This was commendable given how Sony also had the PS2 on their hand, which is easily the best console ever produced. Microsoft knocked it out of the park as hard as they could from 2001-2010, so many amazing exclusives plus very forward-thinking online social capabilities (I still honestly think the Xbox 360 was the best social console ever made, I wish I owned one during its prime so badly, it seemed like many many fun times and new friends were made on it).
Its depressing because now when I play on my Series X I basically only play Master Chief Collection, Backwards compat titles, or Forza. As in, 2/3 reasons for me to even play anything on Xbox was because of what it WAS as a brand, not what it IS. I don't care what any executive, analyst, etc wants to say, what makes consoles special are their exclusives and exclusive features. PlayStation is still mostly on the right track with this (staggered PC releases don't inherently ruin the exclusive appeal, although I think it depends), and especially Nintendo.
To me, what really killed Microsoft was Mattrick killing off their first party studios (first by shoving Kinect shit out the door and forcing everyone internally to focus on it), and then followed up by Spencer focusing more on the service side of the console rather than the reason you play video game consoles: video games. Game Pass is a great idea but its proving to become not feasible for one set of hardware + PC, which is why we are seeing these drastic changes going on. And honestly, I don't even think Game Pass will be as compelling as MS thinks on third party hardware; most of the games on there are already available for sub-$10 prices on the PS Store, Steam, and maybe even the eShop.
Imo, what MS should really do if they want to actually see some long-term success in the video game world; go full scorched Earth and essentially revert back to the 2001 mindset they had. Work with smaller developers to work on some original Xbox-exclusive titles and restructure internal teams to be smaller and more focused. Have more aggressive QA, smaller budgets. Focus on some of the social aspects of Xbox again. But we know thats never going to happen, video games have become far too corporate for the idea of big publishers doing anything small in scale again.

Ivan

That is the way typical "suits" think about gaming.

He did a great job, but I'd like that way of thinking out of this industry.

Only trends matter and we react. Complete opposite of what I expect from a cool tech/gaming company.

Stuff like this Is why the industry is so shitty now.

He was a good fit for MS though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom