• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Nathan Drake will use identical model in cutscene and gameplay.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe them, that last demo is pretty much how the game is going to look, I bet.

And that would be pretty awesome, in my opinion. It looked damn good.

Sadly, yes, there is a very successfull subreddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace

Posters in there are mostly people I would avoid in real life.

And here I was thinking people only used "master race" in jest. People talk a lot of shit about GAF, but it sure is a rather pleasant place to post and have discussions considering the alternative.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

Lmao @ this picture:
FGbgoaM.jpg

The thread title is "Oh look my 9 xbox ones arrived"

I kind of don't understand your argument here. You're saying that a character using the same shader can't look better or worse based on different lighting conditions? Because if that's what you're saying than I don't believe it to be true. Of course something under flatter lighting will just look more ugly. A character who is wet, and thereby has the reflectivity increased and more specular getting picked up on minute details, and is edge light by direct, harder moonlight would tend to look more pleasing than a character who is dry and lit by softer lighting at a more flat angle.

That is exactly what I'm saying.

If they want us to make a wet shader, then it's a wet shader. If you take a wet shader and put it into 8 different conditions of lighting (which we do to make sure it holds up under various lighting situations) it should look consistent.

Taking a wet shader and comparing it to a dry shader may be visually pleasing because one shader is reflecting the light due to specular.. but it shouldn't objectively "look" better than the dry one. The textures should stay the same.

Example of downgrading a shader:

Say I have 3 layers of skin that represent SSS and I have shader that just has 1 layer of skin. Under any situation, the 3 layer skin shader will look much better than the 1 layer. Even if the textures are the same. Because the 3 layer is doing more subsurface approximation whereas the 1 layer stops after the top layer. Take it even further and I can use a Henyey-Greenstein scattering function model to approximate the 1-layer SSS instead of using the 1 layer SSS. And it will look even worse (less accurate). That's a downgrade.

psn

People talk a lot of shit about GAF, but it sure is a rather pleasant place to post and have discussions considering the alternative.

This is so true. The reason I don't care about reddit anymore. This forum is well moderated and you can have a mature discussion here.

LOL.

Has anyone called this as their avatar? If not I'll use it.

First :p

yurinka

You are right. I dont' know. But my eyes can certainly make a distinction in color and texture. And they aren't even close to the same. I've watched that gameplay trailer more than I should and it's nowhere near the quality of that E3 demo.
The difference of color is because one it's during night and the other during day. There's the difference between wet and dry clothes, and at that distance that Drake has during gameplay when you are looking at screenshot of a compressed video taken from a video streaming the compression kills a lot of details on Drake.

In addition to that, it's another area of the game so you can't compare the background stuff like plants etc. In addition to that, the reveal was a cutscene and we saw gameplay, and during the cutscene at the end we don't properly see Drake as close as in the reveal so to say that there is a downgrade doesn't make too much sense, specially after watching the panel.

Eggbok

Killzone, Knack, Infamous, and Driveclub all visually surpassed their initial reveal. The Order 1886 is right up there as well. And yet there is doubt about Naughty Dog? People are claiming downgrades based on pre-alpha footage? Someone fill me in pls.

The difference of color is because one it's during night and the other during day. There's the difference between wet and dry clothes, and at that distance that Drake has during gameplay when you are looking at screenshot of a compressed video taken from a video streaming the compression kills a lot of details on Drake.

I have the raw footage of the gameplay. And it's still nowhere near the E3 trailer footage under ANY condition (wet, dry, night, day, etc..). Do you really believe what you saw of the gameplay footage is the same as the E3 footage?

Killzone, Knack, Infamous, and Driveclub all visually surpassed their initial reveal. The Order 1886 is right up there as well. And yet there is doubt about Naughty Dog? People are claiming downgrades based on pre-alpha footage? Someone fill me in pls.

The footage that most are complaining about is the gameplay footage. The character looks, the rocks, the lighting, ground, atmosphere, water, etc..

JCreasy

The only redeeming thing about all of this rancor and disingenuous criticism is that it'll keep the pressure on Naughty Dog to overdeliver. I think it's healthy.

wanders

Pardon if i missed this but I recently rewatched the announcement trailer and compared it to the game play footage and found that the model and environment in the initial trailer was a lot better like CGI even. I haven't looked through them analytically so I might be off but if I'm not why hasn't there been an uproar on the downgrade?

wanders

Heh I guess it has been addressed with the image. Why are companies such frauds and fakers? What a dissapointment.

Edit: I will recant this post until true downgrade is proven :p

I really don't envy people involved in game development - witnessing page after page message board posts of, at best, mostly uninformed conjecture about something that I'm intimately working on would be torture.

Just to make sure everyone is aware this image was created as a joke by a Gaffer to show the silliness about some of the comparisons floating about. The fact that it made it to reddit as a serious image is somewhat frustrating, whilst also predictable and utterly hilarious a the same time.

SighFight

Pardon if i missed this but I recently rewatched the announcement trailer and compared it to the game play footage and found that the model and environment in the initial trailer was a lot better like CGI even. I haven't looked through them analytically so I might be off but if I'm not why hasn't there been an uproar on the downgrade?

Oh there is. Just enter one of the various threads on the shown footage. I also agree there have been changes to the worse but it is still phenomenally good looking! I don't know of they will reach the announcement trailer quality but I also think quality will improve compared to the recent footage.

omonimo

Banned
Oh my, very impressive stuff. Obviously your are not infallible but now I find it kind of odd that many are so dismissive of your opinions.
Probably because he wasted most of the time to downplay the graphic of a pre alpha indeed to show a real interest in the whole tech aspect, I guess. I'd like too see him to put the same energy, for example, to criticize AC Unity graphic compared the first reveal trailer but everything it's so artistic there.

-griffy-

Banned
That is exactly what I'm saying.

If they want us to make a wet shader, then it's a wet shader. If you take a wet shader and put it into 8 different conditions of lighting (which we do to make sure it holds up under various lighting situations) it should look consistent.

Taking a wet shader and comparing it to a dry shader may be visually pleasing because one shader is reflecting the light due to specular.. but it shouldn't objectively "look" better than the dry one. The textures should stay the same.

Example of downgrading a shader:

Say I have 3 layers of skin that represent SSS and I have shader that just has 1 layer of skin. Under any situation, the 3 layer skin shader will look much better than the 1 layer. Even if the textures are the same. Because the 3 layer is doing more subsurface approximation whereas the 1 layer stops after the top layer. Take it even further and I can use a Henyey-Greenstein scattering function model to approximate the 1-layer SSS instead of using the 1 layer SSS. And it will look even worse (less accurate). That's a downgrade.
I'm saying the quality of the shader will be consistent, but the look of it will change based on the lighting. It can look better or worse depending on the lighting. This is just a fundamental concept of lighting that doesn't really have anything to do with the technical qualities of a shader. You throw a light right at camera position and a subject will look flat and ugly, you position the lights better and "shape" the subject with shadows and fill and edge lighting and it will look better. Wet/dry, matte/shiny isn't going to have an objective quality difference, but it will be an entirely subjective difference as to what looks better to an individual. But it will objectively look different.

I think it's clear the E3 teaser and the gameplay demo look different, but I'm not sure that's because the quality of the assets or shader is better in the former. I can't say the actual textures are better in the former since we see him far closer in the teaser than we ever do in the gameplay. You'd be hard pressed to say definitively that the Last of Us remaster character models look as high quality as the cutscenes if you couldn't use photo mode to get the camera inches away from Joel's face. We don't have that luxury with UC4 yet.

a916

Just to make sure everyone is aware this image was created as a joke by a Gaffer to show the silliness about some of the comparisons floating about. The fact that it made it to reddit as a serious image is somewhat frustrating, whilst also predictable and utterly hilarious a the same time.

Most of those quick images "showing facts" are misleading... even the one that's continually posted on here about "modern map design" is really disingenuous.

This.

I don't believe them, that last demo is pretty much how the game is going to look, I bet.

That would seem highly unusual, even if it already looks amazing. ND always makes major graphical improvements in the last year of development, and this time we've seen gameplay even earlier so this demo is probably even older than we think it is since it had to be optimized to be stable enough to demo, usually we only see a short bit of cutscene in December.

I wonder how hard it would be for ND to just retool this demo for nighttime and give Drake the ice bucket challenge to show everyone that it's basically the same as the E3 reveal.

FyreWulff

Yes, and then through some magic they compressed them more efficiently to still fit on a Blu-ray and look arguably cleaner than on PS3, despite being higher resolution and twice the framerate.

More power means you can use more aggressive decode that takes up less space.

Like how you can have high quality that takes less power to decode, but it'll cost you 3GB for 10 minutes..

Superflat

While we keep speculating I thought there were a few moments that showcased the new model pretty well during gameplay so I took screencaps. It's sort of shame that the camera is so far from Drake during most of it.

Soft shadows and veins. mmmmmm

Alienous

While we keep speculating I thought there were a few moments that showcased the new model pretty well during gameplay so I took screencaps. It's sort of shame that the camera is so far from Drake during most of it.

iH9cvyKsVFqE8.png

This image is just insanely sexy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Got damn.

MidEvlDed

The tech is great and all, but old Drake looks like a fucking weirdo. Why can't he look the same, just with more grey? He looks like a completely different person.

I'm saying the quality of the shader will be consistent, but the look of it will change based on the lighting.

Well yea. If I move a light, the shader is going to react to it.

It can look better or worse depending on the lighting.

That would mean the "lighting" is not good. Not that the characters, props, scene, etc.. don't hold up. Yes, there is a such thing as "bad" lighting. But certain elements in those comparison screens simply have nothing to do with lighting. Example.. there is no reason why you couldn't have light shafts in the day time. Even when Drake is in the cave and looks up through the opening, there are no light shafts. If I wanted to show off ALL of what the renderer can do, I'd have put that in there.. not saying their engine can't do it.. but we have no idea what limitations of the hardware they have already reached. Clearly we can't assume the PS4 can render that E3 footage quality in gameplay @ 1080p/60fps when the gameplay footage they just showed looked significantly worse and was running at 30fps.

I think it's clear the E3 teaser and the gameplay demo look different, but I'm not sure that's because the quality of the assets or shader is better in the former.

Ok. I can go with that.. but that doesn't make it illogical to assume that that is the case.

We certainly can't say that the gameplay looks on par with the E3 footage either even if everything was the same. I would be very afraid if they were using everything the same and the gameplay made such a drastic difference than the E3 trailer under lighting/scene changes.

AngryMoth

I might be pulling this out of my ass but I think I remember them saying this about one of their previous games as well. At end of the day it doesn't really matter, the cutscenes looked way better in the previous games and that will probably continue to be the case here. Not that I mind, I think the demo looked incredible.

Randam

I
v
This is not a satirical or circlejerk subreddit nor did it start as one. This is a normal subreddit with satirical & circlejerk humor elements.

okay, I dont get it, it seems.
where is the joke?

psn

I might be pulling this out of my ass but I think I remember them saying this about one of their previous games as well. At end of the day it doesn't really matter, the cutscenes looked way better in the previous games and that will probably continue to be the case here. Not that I mind, I think the demo looked incredible.

Something similar for TLOU Remastered. They had better looking ingame models than the cutscene models from the ps3 version.

Kinthalis

Banned
And that would be pretty awesome, in my opinion. It looked damn good.

And here I was thinking people only used "master race" in jest. People talk a lot of shit about GAF, but it sure is a rather pleasant place to post and have discussions considering the alternative.

I belive "in jest" is exaclty hwo that forum is set up. It's just PC gamers taking up the monicker that some small minded console gamers have throw at them simply because they dare to enjoy games on a PC instead of a console.

Because it wasn't gameplay is what I think his point is.

They never said it was gameplay. That's what people have to understand. All of Naughty Dogs cinematics are rendered "in-engine". There are usually two versions of every major character model. A cinematic version with a higher amount of polygons and then the in-game version that is lower resolution of polygons. <---everything is still using the PS3/PS4 hardware to render.

Moving forward they have said that Uncharted 4 will use the same models in both cinematics and gameplay. This probably means that they will have in some cases seamless transitions from cinematic straight into gameplay which will be incredible.

For example...
cutscene.gif

Top Bottom