• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft Crowned Most Iconic Video Games Character of All Time, According to BAFTA Poll

Everyone knows Mario and Sonic
Sonic is well known, but definitely not as much as mario; my parents have no idea who sonic is, but they know mario. Link wouldn't even register to them even if I showed a picture, "what is that, a christmas elf?".
It's like spider-man/batman/superman, even outside of nerd fandom people knew them.
Jean Grey?
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

StereoVsn

Sonic is well known, but definitely not as much as mario; my parents have no idea who sonic is, but they know mario. Link wouldn't even register to them even if I showed a picture, "what is that, a christmas elf?".
It's like spider-man/batman/superman, even outside of nerd fandom people knew them.
Jean Grey?
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I think Sonic is kind of back with two successful movies and renewed interest in TV series.

But yeah, Pikachu or Pac-Man would be the other good choices.

Last edited:
Ask my kids who lara croft is and who mario is, and that will let you know who needs to be #1
Aks any gaming adult and the results will be 1:1
Different audience, different results.

But this list...... Yeah, some messed up stuff in there.

Last edited:

Svejk

Sad that this will be idolized as fact for a few generations for no valid reason other than Mellenial and Alpha gen retardation of the medium as a whole.

Last edited:

tkscz

You know, it's funny that a film association chose Lara as number 1, cause when it comes to films
MV5BNzMzODVjMWUtYmIxZS00NDlkLTlmNTktNjI5NTdhZjUzYzY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY139_CR0,0,92,139_.jpg
MV5BYzYxOTgxYjAtNGI3MS00NDJkLTkyZWItZGM5MzRhOGYwYjlmL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY139_CR1,0,92,139_.jpg
MV5BOTY4NDcyZGQtYmVlNy00ODgwLTljYTMtYzQ2OTE3NDhjODMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzYzODM3Mzg@._V1_SY139_CR1,0,92,139_.jpg
these three altogether made $1.07 billion (adjusted for inflation, otherwise it made a lot less).

While
MV5BOTJhNzlmNzctNTU5Yy00N2YwLThhMjQtZDM0YjEzN2Y0ZjNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEwMTQ4MzU5._V1_SY139_CR1,0,92,139_.jpg
by itself made $1.3 billion.

Sad that this will be idolized as fact for a few generations for no valid reason other than Mellenial and Alpha gen retardation of the medium.

Nope, this is a British bias determined by 4,000 people who don't play video games.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

The UK is in the continent of Europe and therefore we are still Europeans.
Yes you are, but in the context of this voting, it makes no sense to say that!
Quote BAFTA: "British Citizen or born in UK/Republic of Ireland"

By the same logic you could say "Europeans voted for Brexit"!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes you are, but in the context of this voting, it makes no sense to say that!
Quote BAFTA: "British Citizen or born in UK/Republic of Ireland"

By the same logic you could say "Europeans voted for Brexit"!

Lol what?

The UK is in Europe, therefore we are European.

Okay then, to quote BAFTA as you did: British Citizen or born in UK/Republic of Ireland.

This means that somebody born to Polish parents with a Polish passport can vote as long as they were born in the UK.

This also means that people born and living in RoI can vote. RoI is also a member of the EU.

So yes, saying Europeans would be correct.

nckLz7S.gif

Laptop1991

Yeah, no complaint's here, she deserves it, i played the 1st game at the time and quite a few afterwards, well done Lara.

Muffdraul

Should read:

Lara Croft Crowned Most Iconic British Video Games Character of All Time, According to British Poll​

~or~

Lara Croft Crowned Most Iconic Video Games Character of All Time, According to Absurdly Biased Poll​

Dutchy

Mario has always been the most iconic character. He cant be the king forever and rightfully so.
Same with Messi being the footballer of the year EVERY year just because he's Messi.
Bro its not that deep. this is a flawed poll done by some random party.

Mario has shoehorned himself in all videogame categories (racing, sports, platform) just purely for Nintendo's greed.
Supply and demand. Surely the amount of everyday presence makes him iconic or at the very least recognizable.

Glad he's now no longer recognised as the most iconic.
what the fukc

He stopped deserving that title when the competition in named genres grew and came with better games.
like who

PS: im not a mario or even nintendo fan

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I asked my mom who is 70 and has no fucking clue about video games, to name a video game character, off the top, she named Mario. That the only one she could name.

I asked if she knows who Lara Croft is and she had no idea.

That list is dumb - Mario is one of Japans 4 most iconic exports. And easily the most iconic game character lol

DragonBall
Godzilla
Pokemon
Mario

Last edited:

SnapShot

I would have at least placed her next to Mario and Sonic

EDIT: they kinda did that looks like

Last edited:

Kadve

Hmm. Having a very hard time finding the methodology used for this pool. Really curious for how the entries were chosen. Based on the BAFTA's normal track record i highly doubt they where chosen at random.

To be fair, it’s been more than just a discussion. Following the #BAFTASoWhite controversy of their 2019 awards, where no actors of color were nominated and Sam Mendes’ “1917” ruled over Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite,” BAFTA took quick and dramatic action, significantly changing the nominating procedure in the acting and directing categories to allow for diversity-minded jury interventions. We’re in the fourth year of this new voting system — with the structure having evolved to three jury selections joining the top three branch vote-getters in those categories. If things have stabilized somewhat, it still makes for a surprising, somewhat inconsistent slate of nominations, in which the disparity between general voting-body sentiment and the more idiosyncratic favoritism of small juries is quite apparent.

Last edited:

Kadve

Fixed!

1. Mario
2. Link
3. Pacman
4. Pikachu
5. Sonic
6 Solid Snake
7. Cloud Strife
8. Lara Croft
9. Master Chief
10. Kratos
11. Ellie
12. Crash Bandicoot
I Wouldn't place Link above Pacman, Pikachu or Sonic. They are pop-culture icons while no one outside of gaming knows who Link is. Hell i heard quite a bit of people call him Zelda still.

Stuart360

Its a British poll and you couldnt escape freaking Lara Croft through the PS1 years, she was everyhwere, on tv, and intgrated into so much stuff back then.

If this was a worldwide poll, Mario would def won, and rightly so.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Its a British poll and you couldnt escape freaking Lara Croft through the PS1 years, she was everyhwere, on tv, and intgrated into so much stuff back then.

If this was a worldwide poll, Mario would def won, and rightly so.
It's weird to me to learn that she was such a deal in Britain.

In the US, I recall her impact as being little more than "oh yeah, there's that one game with the pointy boobs girl" and when the movies came out, every non-gamer in my life knew exactly 0 about her except "she was in some action game a long time or something." She was basically just a cultural meme about polygonal girls in early gaming, and little more general public recognition than that.

Stuart360

It's weird to me to learn that she was such a deal in Britain.

In the US, I recall her impact as being little more than "oh yeah, there's that one game with the pointy boobs girl" and when the movies came out, every non-gamer in my life knew exactly 0 about her except "she was in some action game a long time or something." She was basically just a cultural meme about polygonal girls in early gaming, and little more general public recognition than that.
To be fair the PS1 games were huge sellers worldwide, by that era's standards. I mean they even called the films 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider' instead of just 'Tomb Raider'.
But yes us Brits tend to go overboard with our British products and hero's. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ReyBrujo

The more time that passes the more odd the results in these polls will be, either because players who played the good entries of a franchise grow old and die, or because new players no longer play them. And you start getting characters that appear in one or two games like those Shadowheart and Arthur just because more young people played them.

Yonyx

UK isnt in the EU anymore - they polled Brits who picked a British char - surprise!

UK are European. Another thing is that they are no longer in the European Economic Union. But they are in Europe, whether they like it or not.

MAtgS

Agent 47 @#3 is the bigger eyebrow raiser TBH. Like really, that guy over the likes of Luigi, Donkey Kong, or Pikachu?

She should be high up on that list, but nobody made the impact as much as Mario did back in the 80s and still does now. He is THE video game mascot.

Top Bottom