• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Series Adaptation Hires The Marvels Writer

Ulysses 31

There was nothing outside the bubble, all of westview was inside it, anyone who drove into it would just get absorbed, it also only took a little less than two weeks and there were less than 4000 ppl living there, not hard for an organisation like SWORD to keep it quiet.
So a town can go off the grid without people noticing for days? Do you really buy that can happen in a country like the USA? People would get missed and with GPS tech it's not hard to trace where they disappeared.
Not really, she's not some rando, she's a friend, an avenger, the most powerful magic user on the planet, saved the world several times and he knows now she's remorseful and isn't causing any further trouble, case closed, there was nothing left to "investigate", which is also why he doesn't care to discuss it when he does visit.
He realises he misjudged when she reveals the darkhold.
So if a friend takes hostages and tortures them too, Dr. Strange wouldn't find that reason enough to investigate? That the hostages were let go makes everything alright again? He just knows the friend would never do it again without ever talking to her? And she does end up causing more trouble and being a threat to all multiverses. Dr. Strange's judgement is severely lacking for someone with his powers and responsibilities.

Bond finally displaying anything other than suave stoicism is the least of that movie’s writing problems. The nonsensical virus and bad guy should be at the top of anyone’s list.
I think Phoebe Waller-Bridge was brought in for rewrites to increase the wokeness, so she was most likely responsible for the strong black female Not-007 character who didn't do anything the whole film

The biggest problem with NTTD by far was the sheer ponderous length of the picture, they felt the need to include every single minor character and loose plot point that no one gave a shit about to begin with and it just felt like it took forever to get to the point. They could easily have cut an hour of fluff out of that film and it would have been a much better result

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

You're right

247341475_5054035264611344_8347175349881638562_n.jpg
NTTDie wasn't woke or undermined Bond at all. Infact the opposite happened where the new 007 agent came in hot but was definitely outskilled by the Bond everywhere.

And this scene^, c'mon it was really funny with all the flashy sports cars and their tuxedos Bond movies have.

I think Phoebe Waller-Bridge was brought in for rewrites to increase the wokeness, so she was most likely responsible for the strong black female Not-007 character who didn't do anything the whole film
I need valid evidence for this. I don't like just making up rumors to fit a narrative.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
So a town can go off the grid without people noticing for days? Do you really buy that can happen in a country like the USA? People would get missed and with GPS tech it's not hard to trace where they disappeared.
I dunno how long you took to write this response, but I edited my post before you did, maybe go back and read it.
So if a friend takes hostages and tortures them too, Dr. Strange wouldn't find that reason enough to investigate? That the hostages were let go makes everything alright again? He just knows the friend would never do it again without ever talking to her? And she does end up causing more trouble and being a threat to all multiverses. Dr. Strange's judgement is severely lacking for someone with his powers and responsibilities.
Again, not really, you hold him up as some sort of law enforcement or authority, but he has none of that and he also simply doesn't care, his concern is with things that are unknown or a threat to reality.
Wanda is not unknown, nor did he deem her a threat because they are friends and she helped save all of reality, there's also again nothing to investigate because he's not a cop or a psychiatrist or whatever and the event is over and done, he's just her friend and when he visits her he basically says "the past is the past, and I know you're remorseful so let's move one, because you're my friend and I trust you, in fact I need your help and no one else could help me.", he also directly implies by helping she'll get back in everyone's good graces.

StereoVsn

I dunno how long you took to write this response, but I edited my post before you did, maybe go back and read it.

Again, not really, you hold him up as some sort of law enforcement or authority, but he has none of that and he also simply doesn't care, his concern is with things that are unknown or a threat to reality.
Wanda is not unknown, nor did he deem her a threat because they are friends and she helped save all of reality, there's also again nothing to investigate because he's not a cop or a psychiatrist or whatever and the event is over and done, he's just her friend and when he visits her he basically says "the past is the past, and I know you're remorseful so let's move one, because you're my friend and I trust you, in fact I need your help and no one else could help me.", he also directly implies by helping she'll get back in everyone's good graces.
If my “friend” with incredible strong powers randomly tortured a town full of people then she wouldn’t be my friend anymore. I certainly wouldn’t be able to trust anything she would do and try my damnest to get that person either locked away or if not possible, taken out permanently.

Because in this case a pattern is established where Wanda basically has complete disregard for human life and well being which is waved off. I guess if the goal is to show Avengers in general and Strange in particular as morally corrupt organization, the writers succeeded.

Majormaxxx

Phoebe is a good writer for her audience. But... Here's the thing - her audience is female intellectual young to middle aged women who like sarcastic/witty/"independent" women

Gamers who love tomb raider are NOT these, OG fans were male Gen x to older male millennials.

Thanks. That's all I needed to know.

Bond finally displaying anything other than suave stoicism is the least of that movie’s writing problems. The nonsensical virus and bad guy should be at the top of anyone’s list.
Mate, the reason some of us enjoyed Bond flicks was due to his rock hard exterior and unwavering "suave stoicism" among other things. That was part of his established character and appeal. There was absolutely no need to meddle with that.

StueyDuck

Jeez talk about handicapping yourself before you even start.

Like why not just use chatGPT at this point If those are choices you are going to be making as a producer

StueyDuck

Calm Down Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

Writer is not a casting director/producer/executive, yall acting like she used to write for Adam Sandler movies or something
I would watch happy Gilmore 100000 times over than even try brace through an episode of fleabag.

Also this is choosing 2 writers with terrible careers not just casting one actor.

Turns out writers play a fairly significant role in how shit a TV show or movie will turn out.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

If I wasn't nervous before, I'm and alittle bit now.
The Angelina movies weren't bad for the time, but really getting the actress correct is important. I prefer the 90's version, it's okay to have curves and kick ass. She doesn't need to be born from darkness, nor so serious.

Another chance to post this one: always cracks me up. Her performance is better than the recent reboots.

SJRB

Gold Member
Girl power!

It takes balls to look at Wandavision and The Marvels and think "Hmm yeah, I want that talent on my team".

I love the current Hollywood trend of "female-oriented IP so it MUST be directed by a woman and written by a woman, regardless of their skill". This is gonna be another banger for sure.

old-parts

Not only that but after Indiana Jones and the Dial of Depression bombed it's crazy they would put Phoebe Waller-Bridge in charge of an Indy clone, usually someone in charge of money goes wait a minute.

She had zero chemistry with Harrison Ford and definitely did not appeal to men as a character, no doubt she will pour herself into Lara.

Lara Croft is an nice to look at action women, its nothing more deep than that. They're putting people in charge who really don't know how to make something like that with the right mixture of action/humour/smarts and want to add "depth" to the character.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Imagine an alternate universe with a good Lara TV show. Lara Croft looks like a young Jolie but without the crazy. Athletic but not flat. Highly educated in languages, history but not dry and boring. Sexy but not shallow. Posh but not a greedy or a gold digger. No guilt, no insecurity, no simp best friend Jonah. She's self assured and cocky, but with a sense of humor and not a man-hater. Every episode she goes on exotic adventures (which inspire a sense of wonder in the viewer), kicks ass (by defeating evil tomb raider adversaries), narrowly escapes the perils of the tombs and takes treasures home and then donates them to the respective museum of the country where it was found. Some of the adversaries are also local officials, government agents, museum heads who want to keep the treasures for themselves etc.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Again, 1000s of people went missing and that number keep increasing in a certain area. That wouldn't stay a secret for long in current dayish USA.
He does have protective duties and deals with big threads. Wanda going off the rails like that with her witchcraft over imaginary children is cause for concern, yes, even after she helped defeat Thanos.

So according to you it's normal Dr. Strange doesn't care that his friend, Wanda, enslaved lots of people because she let them go in the end? Such mental instability of someone with Wanda's power level is no cause for alarm? He just assumes she's remorseful and never would do it again without ever checking up on her first? Yeah Dr. Strange is written like an idiot to move the plot along.

kunonabi

NTTDie wasn't woke or undermined Bond at all. Infact the opposite happened where the new 007 agent came in hot but was definitely outskilled by the Bond everywhere.

And this scene^, c'mon it was really funny with all the flashy sports cars and their tuxedos Bond movies have.
He literally becomes toxic to his wife and daughter and kills himself.

Laptop1991

I did like Killing Eve, especially the first and second season, i think it depends on how the writers are told to write, and I'm a Tomb Raider fan, the originals especially and she should be a strong female character, but she was also attractive as well, i think the direction and attitude of the show runners and studios will decide if the show is a success or not, if its witten like The Marvels, then it's going to fail.

Last edited:
Why do they keep trying to make live action Tomb Raider a thing? Lara just is not a compelling enough character to helm a TV or movie series. The animated one could possibly work, especially as it could flesh out the storylines of the games more. But I never really found the '00s films worth sitting through. I certainly wasn't going to bother with the reboot. I had very little interest in the Amazon live action series before, the OP of this thread killed off even my morbid curiosity. This just doesn't seem like something the world needs.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why do they keep trying to make live action Tomb Raider a thing? Lara just is not a compelling enough character to helm a TV or movie series. The animated one could possibly work, especially as it could flesh out the storylines of the games more. But I never really found the '00s films worth sitting through. I certainly wasn't going to bother with the reboot. I had very little interest in the Amazon live action series before, the OP of this thread killed off even my morbid curiosity. This just doesn't seem like something the world needs.
If written properly Lara Croft could be the female Indiana Jones. Which Tomb Raider was inspired by.

Braag

I can't stand Marvel writing with all it's cringe one liners.
"But it makes the experience more enjoyable as it doesn't take itself too seriously and lightens the mood" the writers claim... It also makes it more painful to watch though.

Mate, the reason some of us enjoyed Bond flicks was due to his rock hard exterior and unwavering "suave stoicism" among other things. That was part of his established character and appeal. There was absolutely no need to meddle with that.
Mate, we’ve had 27 Bond films. Twenty seven. It’s okay if they use just one to try and explore his character a little more, especially when he’s an older, more worn out Bond who was ready for retirement.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
If my “friend”
It's not about you, so a what if scenario involving your personal feelings is irrelevant.

randomly tortured a town full of people
Well it didn't happen randomly, she was forced to murder her love to save the universe and it didn't even matter that she did, only to come back from the dead to realise his body was being dissected and studied in order to make him a weapon, justifying it with Stark's corrupt sokovia accords.
She was then overcome with grief after visiting what was supposed to be her future home with vision and caused the hex; nothing "random" about it, heck it could've been wholly avoided if SWORD wasn't corrupt and allowed her to give vision a funeral. SWORD and the accords were dismantled afterwards, so the root cause was just corruption and greed.

I certainly wouldn’t be able to trust anything she would do and try my damnest to get that person either locked away or if not possible, taken out permanently.
Nice to meet you tony stark, how about that civil war that led directly to the sokovia accords, that led directly to the westview incident eh?

Again, 1000s of people went missing and that number keep increasing in a certain area. That wouldn't stay a secret for long in current dayish USA.
I will suggest once again that you go and read my post, because it still looks like you haven't.

Yeah Dr. Strange is written like an idiot to move the plot along.
No he's written like a human being that holds his friends in high regard, he's not an authority or law enforcement or whatever nonsense you want to put on him. She's also a fugitive in hiding, but he still visited her without issue so he clearly knew where she was all this time so he also knows she wasn't causing any more issues for at least a whole year, that's enough for him to draw conclusions yes; meanwhile strange almost breaks the entire universe with Spider-man, but whatever, only wanda is not allowed to make mistakes, hunt down your all of reality saving friend and lock away the key.

Also really, it wouldn't matter if he visited sooner, she only revealed the darkhold because she messed up her ruse, if he visited before the meeting would've gone almost the exact same way, except strange would leave peacefully and she would just continue studying the darkhold until strange would come back for her help.

Top Bottom