• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios Overhauls Its TV Production

bitbydeath

Loki S2 is off to a good start, hopefully we get more of that.
Less character intro's, more actual stakes.

The trade reports that the company is now moving to make TV shows in a more traditional way.

Until now the studio has adopted the approach it had to films – namely heavily relying on post-production and reshoots to fix what it perceives as not working.

In addition, their TV series didn’t hire showrunners. Rather film executives ran the series, and reportedly blocked writers from creative oversight during post-production.
The shows also eschewed the traditional TV-making model – no pilots, rather series with $150 million+ budgets shot on the fly and often lacking a core vision which has led to creative differences and tension on set.
Their sources indicate production was debilitated by factions creatively fighting during the show’s pre-production phase in London in Summer 2022, saying it included “weeks of people not getting along”.

Both “Moon Knight” and “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law” saw their creators quit and be sidelined respectively, though on the latter head writer Jessica Gao marked one of the very few in the same position on Marvel shows to be brought back to oversee post-production.
Plans going forward now are for shows to have proper showrunners who will write pilots & show bibles. They also plan to bring full-time TV executives on board as opposed to bringing in people from their film executive ranks.
One thing we can expect is reportedly a shift away from the limited series-only formula and an increase in multiseason serialized TV – meaning “Loki” won’t be the only multiseason Marvel series.
The shows will also reportedly put more focus on character work and relationships rather than feeling like part of a larger puzzle that sets up the next film or crossover TV event.

…It took forever for them to finally loop back around to doing what their two best shows did.

market_sd.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm not entirely convinced Feige and other execs are going to be less hands-on and give the showrunners a ton of freedom, but we'll see. I think if they're being completely honest, more traditional development should give each show more of its own flavor, rather than every single show having "that Marvel style".

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm not entirely convinced Feige and other execs are going to be less hands-on and give the showrunners a ton of freedom, but we'll see. I think if they're being completely honest, more traditional development should give each show more of its own flavor, rather than every single show having "that Marvel style".

It was because of Feige's involvement that Marvel did so well pre-Phase 4. Iger left and Payche... I mean Chapek introduced middle men (bean counters) between the creatives and Feige. Feige no longer had control of the creatives ... Chapek wanted CONTENT, CONTENT, CONTENT ... more than what Feige wanted.

Iger is back and the middle-men are gone. We probably won't see the fruits of that until next year. But with Feige back in control, we'll see some good stuff going forward. They're going to have less Disney plus content and focus on quality rather than quantity.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Loki S2 is off to a good start, hopefully we get more of that.
Less character intro's, more actual stakes.

“The shows will also reportedly put more focus on character work and relationships rather than feeling like part of a larger puzzle that sets up the next film or crossover TV event.”

This could have negative consequences: TV shows unable to reference movies much, budget cuts, and movies not referencing the TV shows.

Not only this… the way they say “focus on character work and relationships” and made to be multi seasons engagement fests (before their model was more like how GamePass is pitched: day one full sized AAA games or in this case movie like big mini-series… they are discovering it is not sustainable and does not help people stay subscribed over the long term instead of dipping in and out). It could lead to padded shows, stretched over multiple seasons, with tons of filler and that feature unnecessary teen and adult personal drama where the “marvel” stuff is just window dressing or like a theme…

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The shows will also reportedly put more focus on character work and relationships rather than feeling like part of a larger puzzle that sets up the next film or crossover TV event.

This is the thing I've been hoping would happen for years. I'll try not to repeat myself (but surely will) but the idea that everything has to be part of a universe just makes everything suck. The best films (in my opinion) are able to tell their stories without requiring people to watch half a dozen other films and tv series' that year, the idea makes sense from a business perspective, you can effectively market 10 products at once by making them interlinked.

I don't hold out much hope that their output will resonate more with me in the future, but I used to enjoy most superhero stuff, who knows maybe I will again.

Lunarorbit

Too late for me. Gonna watch loki then cancel Disney. I never watch it besides for baby Yoda and they might make a movie next.

Not only this… the way they say “focus on character work and relationships” and made to be multi seasons engagement fests (before their model was more like how GamePass is pitched: day one full sized AAA games or in this case movie like big mini-series… they are discovering it is not sustainable and does not help people stay subscribed over the long term instead of dipping in and out). It could lead to padded shows, stretched over multiple seasons, with tons of filler and that feature unnecessary teen and adult personal drama where the “marvel” stuff is just window dressing or like a theme…
The days of 24-26 episode seasons are currently halfway into the grave. Except for a few outliers, a ton of services have moved on to the new 8-12 episode model and we’re all better off for it, because there’s less filler and padding for audiences, and on production side they don’t have to waste money making double the episodes.

Even anime has started to follow this new formula and we’ve been getting way better quality shows due to them finally accepting the new shorter episode count/seasonal format. It’s why you keep hearing anime fans rave about a ton of new projects, because they’ve never been used to this style before recently.

StueyDuck

Marvel and Star wars just both need to go away for a while, not get rebooted or anything.

go make some terrible tomorrowland movies again disney and then come back to these franchises with actual talented writers and producers and so on and then smash out some top tier content.

Hell at this point i'd go a year even for star wars, it all is a hot shit congealed blobby mess that if you showed me a picture from the acolyte or ashoka or mando i''d think it's literally the same thing.

bitbydeath

As expected The Marvels is not tracking well now that it’s not propped up by Avengers.

Box-Office Pro reports that the film is on track for an expected domestic opening of $50-75 million, much lower than Captain Marvel’s $153.4 million.
The site also indicates the earliest presales for the film are significantly behind are low – 69% behind ‘Guardians,’ 72% behind ‘Quantumania’ and 42% behind “Eternals” at the same point in their cycles.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Chapek was the problem with Phase 4, not Feige. Chapek just cared about the profits and not about the content itself. He forced movies like Thor Love and Thunder and Doctor Strange 2 to be cut down to 2 hours. The original cut of Doctor Strange 2 was something like 2 hours 24 mins or something but Chapek chopped it down to 2 hours just to fit in more showings at theaters.

Neon Xenon

I'll believe it when (if) I see it. Phase 4 of Marvel has been such a shitshow overall, even with the few highlights. Secret Invasion turning out the way it did despite a $212 Million budget doesn't fill me with confidence.

That budget number in particular is funnier when looking at a movie like Oppenheimer releasing the same year, making over $700 Million, with a budget of only $100 Million.

As expected The Marvels is not tracking well now that it’s not propped up by Avengers.

I've watched the trailers for The Marvels and I still can't see how anyone is excited for this.

Last edited:
Chapek was the problem with Phase 4, not Feige. Chapek just cared about the profits and not about the content itself. He forced movies like Thor Love and Thunder and Doctor Strange 2 to be cut down to 2 hours. The original cut of Doctor Strange 2 was something like 2 hours 24 mins or something but Chapek chopped it down to 2 hours just to fit in more showings at theaters.

It's a problem with both Chapek and Feige

You already covered the issues with Chapek

Now with Fiege, he let his personal politics destroy Phase 4. I would bet if they didn't cut down Doctor Strange 2, they would have been some unnecessary political BS.

Look at Falcon And The Winter Soldier. That show could have been so much better if they totally cut the race politics out. Black Widow had the same issue, it would have been so much better if they cut out the feminazi politics out especially with the Harvey Weinstein villain. I literally laughed out loud when I saw that. It was so bad. She-Hulk especially. Eternals was just a even more boring Snore Snyder film

Another thing the Special Effects have been bad. Like really really bad. They fired Victoria Alonzo for a good reason. But I bet the feminazis will be like it's because she a Wyman!

I'm up to date on Phase 5

Hated Ant-Man And The Wasp Quantumania and Guardians Vol 3 (The VFX for Guardians 3 was actually good though I admit)

Thought Secret Invasion was OK (I would give it a C Grade)

Loki Season 2 is the only thing in Phase 5 that's been fantastic but there's 4 more episodes of that show. So we will see if they screw up in Later episodes

I'm skipping The Marvels and waiting till it comes to Streaming since it doesn't look fun

I have no issues with the 3 main actresses leads. Ms Marvel is one of the few things I enjoyed about Phase 4. And that woman playing Spectrum is one of the highlights of WandaVision. As for Brie Larson, I'm mostly indifferent to her . It looks like The Marvel is gonna bomb though. 3 female lead Check, 2 of them POC CHECK.

They should have focused on just getting the X-Men and Fantastic Four to the MCU as soon as possible

But even than with the X-Men and Fantastic Four. They will most likely ruin it with the woke BS. Really makes me mad, now that they got most of thier IPs back, they will most likely screw it up by adding feminazi and SJW shit. So I'm extremely wary about this.

Now we got to wait till Secret Wars which is in 2028. That's a long time wait and I have to go through Phase 4 through Phase 6. I think by the end of next year I might check out of the MCU Fandom if this keeps up. And it's not only Marvel Movies. But DC Films. I hate most of James Gunns films but I have to admit his plan for DCU is really interesting and actually has some huge A tier Characters that aren't just Batman and Superman. Well there is Matt Reeves The Batmanverse. I loved The Batman

I'm fine with female leads, gender swaps or race swaps. I love Nick Fury in the MCU, in most versions of the comics he was white. But nowadays that comes with preachy BS

Yes I know long ass rant

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

That had some very interesting justifications in it… it’s Taylor Swifts fault lol.

If the Marvels bombs, will we finally see them change up the movies like how they changed up the tv series

That had some very interesting justifications in it… it’s Taylor Swifts fault lol.

If the Marvels bombs, will we finally see them change up the movies like how they changed up the tv series

I say this as a MCU and Marvel fan, when this movie bombs, they are gonna to have a harder time making money in the future. The trust is lost with the audience. It's interesting how after Endgame, it went all downhill from there

Billbofet

Isn't the Taylor Swift thing out like a month prior to this?
How could that have much of an impact?

I hope this bombs so they have an entire year of bombs to look back on and hopefully regain focus on quality. From the trailers, this looks like a Disney XD show.
Again, I truly think they will fuck up the Xmen, but I would love if they don't do Fantastic Four rotten.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Isn't the Taylor Swift thing out like a month prior to this?
How could that have much of an impact?

I hope this bombs so they have an entire year of bombs to look back on and hopefully regain focus on quality. From the trailers, this looks like a Disney XD show.
Again, I truly think they will fuck up the Xmen, but I would love if they don't do Fantastic Four rotten.
No idea, I wasn’t aware Taylor swift was taking up that much entertainment space.

The rumors about the fantastic 4 are probably false, at least I hope they are. I want a proper silver surfer added to the universe dammit.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I say this as a MCU and Marvel fan, when this movie bombs, they are gonna to have a harder time making money in the future. The trust is lost with the audience. It's interesting how after Endgame, it went all downhill from there
I really like the mcu too but it’s been pretty cruddy lately. I liked gotg but everything else has been completely forgettable since endgame. Loki, being the exception. I also like eternals looking back (but think it would have been a better series) so what do I know.

I really like the mcu too but it’s been pretty cruddy lately. I liked gotg but everything else has been completely forgettable since endgame. Loki, being the exception. I also like eternals looking back (but think it would have been a better series) so what do I know.

Yeah there's only 4 things I loved in Phase 4. Most of the stuff has been crap, with a few stuff being good

Great (A)

Loki Season 1

Doctor Strange Into The Multiverse of Madness

Werewolf By Night

Ms Marvel

Good (B)

Moon Knight

Hawkeye

Shang-Chi

OK (C)

WandaVision

What If....?

Eternals

Black Panther Wakanda Forever

The rest (D and F)

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier

Black Widow

She-Hulk

Spider-Man No Way Home

Thor Love And Thunder

Last edited:
New Loki is actually good, I kinda couldn't be arsed with Marvel for awhile but someone harassed me until I watched it and I had a good time. Looking forward to episode 3.

Understandable

I had to drag my feet to watch it. I only watched it due to being a a huge fan of the first season

Phase 5 has been horrible

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I have just one question:

Where the fuck are the X-men?
Feige said when they bought Fox that X-Men weren't part of their phase 4/5 plan and it'd be a "VERY LONG TIME" before they're used. But no one believed him then and go and complain when he was telling the truth.

Top Bottom