• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios fired directors and writers of Daredevil: Born Again in September

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just saw that on the MCU Reddit. Good news IMO. Strive for quality.

It didn’t take long to see the problem after Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again paused production in mid-June during the writers strike. Fewer than half of the series’ 18 episodes had been shot, but it was enough for Marvel executives, including chief Kevin Feige, to review the footage and come away with a clear-eyed assessment: The show wasn’t working.

So, in late September, Marvel quietly let go of head writers Chris Ord and Matt Corman and also released the directors for the remainder of the season as part of a significant creative reboot of the series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The studio is now on the hunt for new writers and directors for the project, which stars Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer turned superhero.

GloveSlap

Final nail in the coffin. It was already weird to basically remake the Netflix show, but without the grittiness it was known for.

Ulysses 31

Hope they'll do the same for the Fantastic Four MCU show if these rumors are true. 👀

Rumor: Marvel’s ‘Fantastic Four’ Film To Be “Sue Storm-Centric”, Reed Richards “So Poorly Depicted That Some Actors Even Passed On Playing The Role”

DrFigs

They were trying to make a legal procedural... on an IP mostly targeted to kids.
I want a refund on my disney stocks 🥴

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Its a theme at this point. just look at Star Wars. Rogue One, extensive reshoots and changes post production. That one worked as that movie was great. Solo, fired the directors mid movie. Movie was terrible. Last Jedi, fired the director before the movie started.

What it feels like is a lot of second guessing, hand holding and management meddling from the top. Sometimes it might be the right call and sometimes not but it means that the process is flawed from the start.

Billbofet

Hope they'll do the same for the Fantastic Four MCU show if these rumors are true. 👀

This would be a bummer as Fantastic Four is the only thing I have any interest in anymore in the MCU.
XMen maybe, but I am almost certain they will fuck that up!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Final nail in the coffin. It was already weird to basically remake the Netflix show, but without the grittiness it was known for.
They are not remaking it. This is a sequel to DD/Punisher. Look I'm not a leaker or a source but sometimes I know some things. What if I told you, that they went over the top gritty, depressing and downright mean-spirited in a very schlocky and terrible way?

Last edited:

Pigenator

Just kick out Feige. With all the respect (and he certainly has a lot of respect going for him), MCU post Endgame is an endless stream of mediocre shit.
Time for some fresh minds to recharge some life into MCU, or just stop making new content for some years and whip up a proper plan.
Constantly greenlighting movies & shows with awful writers & scripts is just stupid.

Pejo

Serious question, who the fuck are they making these shows for? I mean damn...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Also I haven't seen it posted anywhere on the Internets but I also do know that the show will be 2 seasons instead of a big 18 episode season. Again don't trust me cause I am NOT a leaker or a source dammit

GloveSlap

They are not remaking it. This is a sequel to DD/Punisher. Look I'm not a leaker or a source but sometimes I know some things. What if I told you, that they went over the top gritty, depressing and downright mean-spirited in a very schlocky and terrible way?
I was definitely assuming, but I would be shocked to see something akin to the netflix Daredevil/Punisher show up on Disney plus. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Just kick out Feige. With all the respect (and he certainly has a lot of respect going for him), MCU post Endgame is an endless stream of mediocre shit.
Time for some fresh minds to recharge some life into MCU, or just stop making new content for some years and whip up a proper plan.
Constantly greenlighting movies & shows with awful writers & scripts is just stupid.

Agree with you there. As much of a success Phase 1 through 3 was, he made it obvious that he let's his personal politics influenced Phase 4. So far Phase 5 hasn't been that bad in that regard. It's been bad in other aspects. As for Phase 5, I didn't enjoy anything they put out, not even Guardians Vol 3. I expect Loki Season 2 to shit the bed eventually

Top Bottom