• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Marvel Is Quietly Retooling Amid Superhero Fatigue

Do you know how long I've waited for Spectrum to come to the big screen? Or even Blue Marvel? There was nothing wrong with the portrayal of Monica. She wasn't what was wrong with the movie.

Like I said before, most people didn't watch WandaVision... And if they did, they don't remember her from the show. Spectrum, Blue Marvel ( and their romance), the Shi'ar, Squadron Supreme, Brother Voodoo, Etc... I've wanted to see them ALL on film. I want to see Peter meet Wolverine. I want to see Monica team up with Storm... I want to see Eric team up with Kang or Namor.

But the movie didn't fail because of what you said in your post. I explained why I think it did and I think my thoughts on it are closer to the truth than "woke" or "annoying women" or "fangirl teen".

I think that's part of the reason why it failed. Phase 1 and 2 had it's issues but at least it didn't have that shit in it. Phase 3 is still the Gold Standard that the MCU should be striving for. Yes it had it's bad movies like Captain Marvel but they were hardly any bad ones in that phase. I would say most of Phase 3 movies were either A to B Grade tier to me.

The whole woke/feminazi nonsense has destroyed the MCU. The Falcon And The Winter Soldier, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Eternals, The Marvels and Thor 4 has been extreme examples especially of this

There are other factors to the MCU decline: Poor scripts, Poor CGI and just too much in so little time. I can go on and on. I don't like Bob Chapek and I don't like Ike Perlmutter either for different reasons. But Bob Iger and Kevin Feige are to blame for this too. They let these Blue Hairs attach themselves to Disney like the parasites they are and successfully ruined the MCU. I'll say this Phase 3 had hints of that woke stuff with Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Lot of people noped out after Endgame and Spiderman Far From Home because the dangling plot threads just wasn't interesting enough for general audience to care. Not to mention that seeing Black Panther Wakanda Forever take is less than Black Panther take just confirms it for me. Especially with Namor, they should have went with the classic look personally.

I'm particular salty about this because I have always been more of a fan of Marvel than of a DC. But now that MCU has most of their characters they can use under one roof where they can interact with each other and have a bigger crossover events. They can do a lot more and all they have been doing is introducing all these C to D Tier Comic Characters that I mostly don't care about. I hope going forward they actually cast characters that look the part.

Looks like they are with Fantastic Four cast. But I'm waiting to see who they are gonna to cast for the X-Men

Namor I felt was a dud for me MCU wise. They should have went with the classic look and actually had a comic accurate city instead of making it all Mayan. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm open to seeing how Pedro Pascal does though as Mr. Fantastic

As for James Gunn DCU, I'm more interested in what he has cooking than what MCU has announced so far. Which is a good thing, as I always say competition is good. I want both MCU and DCU to be successful. Right now, I hope Creature Commandos is great on the DCU side of things

Last edited:

killatopak

Umm... No they didn't. Show us the receipts.
WfQPIP0.png

200.gif

Watched up through Endgame and haven't watched a new MCU movie since. Superhero fatique was already setting in during the mid 2010s but at least it was building towards something.

Instead of spamming out garbage to milk the fanbase they should have taken a few years off and rebooted the MCU with a different ongoing plot.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Doesn't matter, capeshit is dead. Nobody is buying in for another run like the one from Iron Man->Endgame. It's not happening. The fact that they turned it into the M-She-U and made everything really shitty and unwatchable didn't help, but that's secondary ultimately. It doesn't mean that they can't make popular movies, but you're not getting $600 million box office for B-tier superheroes just because it ties into the big overarching story again.

Deadpool is going to be popular because people like Ryan Reynolds and like the character, in other words capeshit is back to just being normal movies again.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I said it in the Madame web/ Sony pictures refactoring sequels thread.

But until these production companies stop trying to segregate for brownie and DEI points and instead just make movies for everyone to enjoy, their shit is going to continue to flop.

People don't want an activist making a new ray star wars movie, especially making comments causing gender wars and more segregation.

Just make entertainment, it's in the name, to entertain as many people as you can

mcjmetroid

So... One character? Not the whole show as was implied?

I barely remember Morph from the show except for his ability to ... Morph. I wonder what the explanation is going to be about him.
Sorry but that's only one thing that we know of. You know there's going to be much much more.

Usually when I start seeing articles like this, it's usually where I know where their priorities lie instead of being true to the source material.

mcjmetroid

The interest in the trailer kind of proves that superhero fatigue was never really the problem IMO.
No superhero fatigue is the problem.

People are just tired of superhero stuff end of story. It's just its time. Maybe people are too young to remember this but things go out of fashion quite a lot and the fact we had damn near 20 years of these movies is good going but it's time to move on for a while.

Deadpool and Hugh Jackman as wolverine is a bit of nostalgia bate which you're going to start seeing a lot more of out of desperation going forward.

They'll bring back ironman at some stage etc

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Sorry but that's only one thing that we know of. You know there's going to be much much more.

Usually when I start seeing articles like this, it's usually where I know where their priorities lie instead of being true to the source material.

But the season IS the source material. It's the season they were going with should the show have gotten another season order. It's continuing right where they left off from X-Men 96.

On Morph, it's just ... So?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I hate superhero movies, with every fiber of my being.

Maaaaybe I can still exempt Batman, but only if it keeps to the sole vigilante and zero secondary heroes or baggage. Anything that takes place in a comic book "universe" where it's an accepted part of life that heroes dress up in spandex and have strange powers... is trash for children.

Disney being greedy and refusing to pay the actors who played A-tier characters like Iron Man and Captain America killed the capeshit cash cow. No one gives a shit about the D-tier characters they are pushing, especially since it's all political wokeshit preaching now

Top Bottom