• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel considering replacing Jonathan Majors’ Kang with Doctor Doom and bringing back the original Avengers (RDJ included)

MayauMiao

The MCU in a nutshell

aJkB3bl.jpg

StueyDuck

I don't particularly want to see them die - I want good movies again. I don't care if there are 3-4 Marvel/Star Wars movies a year, as long as they are all fun/entertaining/well written. Which none of them have been for a long while.

I would love to see a Marvel Movie series based on the early comics. See the original meet up of Peter with the Fantastic Four by him breaking in, causing havoc, and generally being a dense/shit-head teen set in the proper 60s setting.
While I entirely agree, I just feel that the leadership at Disney/Marvel won't ever get us there naturally without taking some form of break and rethinking things.

If they just took 3 years and put marvel on hold and really figured stuff out they could easily come back in a big way with an Easy W like you said by targeting some of the very original stories from F4.

But they can't keep doing what they are doing now and if these rumors are to be true, just bringing back rdj isn't going to fix anything and worse is that in retrospect that move will actively ruin everything they got so right In the first 3 phases

Last edited:
The biggest problem with the MCU right now is that there is zero evidence they have any interest in making a good movie. Pretty much everything I've watched post-Endgame (and a lot of what came before that, honestly) looks like it was filmed as quickly as possible, TV-style. We can argue about which characters should be on the Avengers and who the Big Bad should be, but until they start hiring real directors and then, you know, letting them direct their own movies, with professional-level framing and lighting, filmed from scripts that are written before filming starts and that focus on characterization and on telling their own story, it won't matter.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The one I find to be the best example of how horrible these types of characters can be doesn't even come from Marvel, but still was a Disney project. They are bad but I'm talking text book here, the character that needs to be shown to film students as what not to wright because of how fast she shows she's a terrible person
rose-tico-db-tlj_a70bef86.jpeg

Rose Tico shows in the first few minutes she has speaking lines exactly how not to write someone if you want people to like them. The first thing of note she does, while having been on screen all of five minutes, is electrocute Fin because he wants to go find Rey but Rose wants him to fight with her because her sister died in the last scene and if he doesn't she'll keep electrocuting him until he does. Like bitch that's not his fault nor problem. She immediately comes off as bitchy, stuck up, knowing it all, entitled and bratty in THE FIRST THREE MINUTES SHE GETS REAL SCREEN FOCUS. Her action, tone and attitude is something you saw out of bratty little sisters in old 90s movies, the little sister you were not meant to like. To straight up tell someone you don't know who just woke up from being unconscious and wants to find their missing friend that they HAVE to help you or be tortured because your sister died is so fucking awful and entitled that I was damned confused if she was good or some sort of traitor. And they thought they were making her "quirky" throughout the movie but she was a nothing burger with a blank personality who then loves Fin by the end, the same guy who she threatened to torture if he didn't help her. How the fuck did they think anyone would like her? These writers on these projects I swear feel like they don't interact with people. And yes, in terms of that movie the long neck purple hair lady was far worse but she wasn't introduced as big of a bitch as Rose was. Rose was immediately introduced this way.

Fuck man Im so glad I still have never seen this. Or whatever Ep 9 was.

tkscz

Fuck man Im so glad I still have never seen this. Or whatever Ep 9 was.
Don't watch it. It's not just a bad Star Wars movie, it's a bad movie in general. It purposefully wastes the audience's time and think it was clever doing so. Sets up plots, themes and characters and then has them all 180 into nothing and the only thing the director could say was "I was subverting expectations". The entire B plots has literally zero impact on the main story, goes nowhere and no one changes from the experience. Characters doing 180s in the personality (Again, Rose going from torture to love without having a real moment with Fin at all but that's far from the only one) without time for development. Character personalities just being awful and if you're like me and didn't watch the force awakens, outright confusing.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Don't watch it. It's not just a bad Star Wars movie, it's a bad movie in general. It purposefully wastes the audience's time and think it was clever doing so. Sets up plots, themes and characters and then has them all 180 into nothing and the only thing the director could say was "I was subverting expectations". The entire B plots has literally zero impact on the main story, goes nowhere and no one changes from the experience. Characters doing 180s in the personality (Again, Rose going from torture to love without having a real moment with Fin at all but that's far from the only one) without time for development. Character personalities just being awful and if you're like me and didn't watch the force awakens, outright confusing.

Oh Ive heard all about it, and surprisingly even out of morbid curiosity I couldnt bring myself to watch it

Billbofet

Agree totally. What I never understand is why this character isn't made fun of more. Truly one of the shittiest characters in all of history:

fPRtRha.gif

Blade2.0

I think what they need to do is give directors back more creative control over the tone of their own movie. Every single marvel movie feels the same nOw. They all want to be Thor Ragnarok, but instead they're all more like Thor love and thunder.

SJRB

Gold Member
The stuff about Blade is so hilariously on brand for Disney, it could have easily been a parody in the South Park episode.

"Blade is no longer about a black dude fighting vampires, it's now about female empowerment, and teaching Blade how to understand his own role in the patriarchy."

Just perfect.

Well Done Ok GIF by funk

It is just WILD to me that they've been struggling to make a Blade movie for so many years.

The guy hunts and kills vampires. That's literally it. That's all the movie has to do. And you got an absolute S-tier actor attached to it to play the role. How fucking hard can it be?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I am watching loki season 2 as I speak and it is fantastic... the way the story is heading it's obvious in retrospect that season 1 was a deconstruction of loki in order to rebuild him into another of his selves.

Personally, I think mando 1 and 2, loki and andor are very nice shows but also the only watchable thing that has come from the disney mess.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It is just WILD to me that they've been struggling to make a Blade movie for so many years.

The guy hunts and kills vampires. That's literally it. That's all the movie has to do. And you got an absolute S-tier actor attached to it to play the role. How fucking hard can it be?

It's incredibly hard if your intent is to subvert the character in order to sell an ideology you personally believe in. It's more important to these people to denigrate an existing character designed for men, than it is to create a new character designed for women.

They think that only by 'smashing the patriarchy' can they get proper revenge for decades of poor female representation. This is the attitude that creates almost everything we've seen from Disney recently.

Last edited:

peish

/Marvel considering bringing back the original Avengers

/Marvel brought back The Snapghetti bigaloo2

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I hate that movie so much. Rian Johnson was given a pass by most critics for reasons I do not understand. Christ in Heaven that movie is horrendous from the start, and commits a cardinal sin for a fantasy movie by being utterly boring.

It still baffles me to this day that producers as hands-on as those at Disney greenlit this after seeing the finished product. He boringly trashed a trilogy right as it was getting started and it was obvious to anyone who watched it.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I hate that movie so much. Rian Johnson was given a pass by most critics for reasons I do not understand. Christ in Heaven that movie is horrendous from the start, and commits a cardinal sin for a fantasy movie by being utterly boring.

It still baffles me to this day that producers as hands-on as those at Disney greenlit this after seeing the finished product. He boringly trashed a trilogy right as it was getting started and it was obvious to anyone who watched it.
What I hated the most was Luke dying stupidly,and the big bad dying mid film. But outside of that the rest was not a deal breaker, just hard to recover from. There is some really beautiful moments and the ship jump, as stupid as it was, was magnificent. I think that Rian Johnson knew that he would not have full control on the script so he and Disnew had a weird deal: they accepted all of his demands, so he could subvert expectations like he did, while he accepted all of their demands, like putting Rey on top and loose Finn, Rose and the rebel commander being important...
Weird match in hell, but he recovered fast enough I think?

bitbydeath

I heard that every time someone criticises Star Wars they add another desert scene.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

They greenlit it because they are all executives and not creatives. None of them have any idea about how good story and character are constructed. The film probably looked great to them, because of all the merchandisable stuff it had in it.

Sybrix

rdj hell yes do it
Mate… it’s pathetic.

It’s Disneys attempt to save the MCU from collapse.

Endgame and the Infinity Stone arc was peak superhero movie story telling.

Now because Disney have released 90% crap since Endgame they want RDJ back to save the franchise.

How about Disney release some quality rather than the absolute shite we’ve had for the last 5 years.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Mate… it’s pathetic.

It’s Disneys attempt to save the MCU from collapse.

Endgame and the Infinity Stone arc was peak superhero movie story telling.

Now because Disney have released 90% crap since Endgame they want RDJ back to save the franchise.

How about Disney release some quality rather than the absolute shite we’ve had for the last 5 years.

That's a poor bandaid.

Chapek had them put too much into production at once ... Most of this stuff THIS YEAR was already done by the time Chapek was fired and Iger was brought back. Instead of cancelling a movie or show that was already made, they tried touching it up with reshoots and such (Frankensteining them) and you get stuff like Secret Invasion.

I won't judge something I haven't seen yet (The Marvels) but Loki and Guardians 3 have been AWESOME thus far!

A few years ago, I think it was after or during the release of Endgame, Kevin Feige talked about how they would focus on females in the coming phases. I was like "huh, that's weird... isn't Marvel movies mostly watched by men? That won't be so interesting, but surely they'll focus on the winning formula they've had with mostly male superheroes?"

Years later I'm still scratching my head over their creative decisions. I have nothing against female superheroes, but I'm mostly interested in Iron Man, Captain America, Ant-Man and Spider-Man. Female Black Panther or female Hulk is not on my most-anticipated-movies list. I also liked the Captain Marvel movie so I have nothing against female characters per se.

They had Wanda, which they should have made into an antihero in Phase 4 and 5 maybe even working with Kang taking over Loki spot now that he is on his hero/redemption journey. Hot af actress and likeable too.
And they just...killed her in a Dr Strange movie with so little fanfare.

YCoCg

The problem is when everything is connected, it becomes difficult to back track from a massive fuck up, and for a lot of people Secret Invasion was that fuck up, they screwed up soo many plots and characters in that and it was meant to be the lead in for The Marvels.

Jinzo Prime

The problem is when everything is connected, it becomes difficult to back track from a massive fuck up, and for a lot of people Secret Invasion was that fuck up, they screwed up soo many plots and characters in that and it was meant to be the lead in for The Marvels.
What exactly did Secret Invasion do? Isn't it supposed to set up the Skrull invasion?

ManaByte

Gold Member

It was never meant to setup The Marvels. It was meant to setup Armor Wars back when that was a TV series, but as that's now a movie Cap 4 is more of a setup for it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They greenlit it because they are all executives and not creatives. None of them have any idea about how good story and character are constructed. The film probably looked great to them, because of all the merchandisable stuff it had in it.

If you look at Kathleen Kennedy's body of work on IMDB it is loaded to the brim with hits and award winners. She may be the most successful and prolific producer of all time. And she's always been hands on apparently, just like Spielberg when he produces a film but doesn't direct. That alone is surprising enough, let alone the fact Disney (according the stories I've read, I could have it wrong) tends to have many producers on each show or movie.

I look at The Last Jedi, and I think it's objectively poor in so many ways that massive reshoots and even a change in direction was warranted. Still baffled that the people behind so many billion dollar movies let that one fly.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

I look at The Last Jedi, and I think it's objectively poor in so many ways that massive reshoots and even a change in direction was warranted. Still baffled that the people behind so many billion dollar movies let that one fly.
The problem with the sequel trilogy is that rushed it out so they could have their own star wars. Rather than watch the previous movies and think about what people liked and didn't like, they focused on superficial criticisms like the lack if practical effects and too much politics.

The sequel trilogys fundamental problem then became a lack of vision underlying narrative. From the start, the galaxy is I'm a very odd status quo that doesn't make sense. They made no effort at all to explain the status quo (something the opening crawl and a few throw away lines could have handled fine). There is no sense of place or scale with the characters or worlds. Basic things like Kylo Ren being Hans kid probably should have been just said outright rather than having it be a twist (no doubt everyone in the galaxy would know him), and they squandered legacy characters.
It was written by people who just wanted to pump out merch, with small imaginations and no understanding of sci-fi fantasy, pulp stories and the other inspirations that went into star wars. They should have spent 4 years just compartmentalizing before they made a movie.

As for Marvel, it also currently suffers from a lack of vision. They got arrogant and thought we had an unlimited appetite for this shit. The truth is that 3/4ths of Marvel movies were also mediocre, but it didn't matter because every 6 months or so there would be something to distract. And there was always an Avengers movie on the horizon to bring everyone together. These new movies are mediocre paint by numbers affairs with nothing to really unify the brand. And it's a god damn deluge. You have mediocre movie after mediocre movie, and an endless parade of mediocre TV shows. In truth, the only show that actually took advantage of the medium was Wandavision. Everything else could have (and perhaps should have) been a movie. Or just not exist.

At least Loki S2 is pretty good, even if it is a bit meandering.

Nydius

The MCU is collapsing under the weight of past success and a lack of vision for the future. They accomplished something unheard of with the Infinity Saga: 12 years of films that ended up all being loosely tied together culminating with a massive cross-over event. Now they're chasing past glories without any real vision as to where they're going. They've decided on "ThE MuLtIvErSe!" as the big next thing and are throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. The exact opposite of how they built the Infinity Saga.

Had it been up to me, I would have taken a pause on the movies after Endgame. I would have green lit a few TV shows that would have continued off Endgame -- like Wandavision, Falcon and Winter Solder, and Loki -- but I wouldn't have used them as the foundation of the next cinematic phase. The Avengers and all their loose ends should have been put in the rear view as they worked to build a new massive cinematic event with mutantkind. X-Men and their spin-off teams, New Mutants, Fantastic Four, Wolverine, Deadpool, et cetera.

Now, after how meandering Marvel's been, I don't trust them to do anything worth a damn with the X-Men or any other Marvel property they've yet to touch.

gatti-man

replacing a black actor .. good luck with that. Give the role to Ryan Gosling ;)
Problem is that they stated that KANG is the same in every multiverse.
They literally showed lizard kang and cyborg kang in the last ant man movie so nah they could swap him easily

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They literally showed lizard kang and cyborg kang in the last ant man movie so nah they could swap him easily

Trial is later this month. Still have to see how it washes out. Literally every version of Kang looks like Jonathan Majors. Except where humans evolved differently, none of them looked like other actors. Until it's shows that he's guilty, Majors will be Kang.

ShadowNate

Isn't it risky that they committed to a specific actor for years of movies, tv series and main long term arc? It sounds stupid to me.
With Thanos he was CGI (face model very loosly based on his voice actor maybe?) and barely in anything prior to infinity war -- and even he definitely got a make-over since his appearance.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If you look at Kathleen Kennedy's body of work on IMDB it is loaded to the brim with hits and award winners. She may be the most successful and prolific producer of all time. And she's always been hands on apparently, just like Spielberg when he produces a film but doesn't direct. That alone is surprising enough, let alone the fact Disney (according the stories I've read, I could have it wrong) tends to have many producers on each show or movie.

I think at this point you can look at her track record when she was under someone else... and her track record as the boss... and draw some fairly accurate conclusions.

Top Bottom