• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel considering replacing Jonathan Majors’ Kang with Doctor Doom and bringing back the original Avengers (RDJ included)

Papa_Wisdom

I've lost interest in MCU for years now because of the relentless milking and dip in quality. Seems Disney was more concerned with quantity over quality greenlighting 4-6 movies at once, multi-phase structure, etc.
The only thing I'm remotely interested in is seeing how X-men will be adapted, and I'm still mostly skeptical given how poorly so many of these movies and shows have been managed.
I’m the same, never been a huge marvel fan (more of a DC guy) but for what it’s worth I enjoyed phase one and a lot of the movies in the build up and conclusion of the endgame (gotg was amazing, yet to see the third, I also love blade but obviously that was before Disney)

I can’t bring myself to get excited for anything marvel or pretty much anything super hero related these days. Can’t even bring myself to look forwards to anything to do with x-men considering the drivel that had been poured out of Disney/Marvel recently.

Most likely scenario been Poc Jean grey is a bisexual who can’t decide between Scott or psylock, gambit is now a gay black man who’s biggest issue is some unresolved childhood trauma. And a disabled magical forest person Asian wolverine.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Doctor Doom is a boring villain... IMO ...

Fantastic Four never hit it with me either.

Villains like Darkseid, even being just evil for evil sake, are usually very interesting in HOW they achieved power or maintain it, or WHY their followers are so loyal to them.

You get to see them figure things out instead of

"Boom! I already knew this was going on and this is my plan but I'ma double cross you the first chance I get and then get OWNED at the end by one of you goody two-shoes"

That's Doom's whole schtick... EVERY TIME! His arrogance isn't fun or funny. He's like Namor if Namor was born with the ego the size of Ego the Living Planet.

Even though Darkseid eventually loses, his comebacks are almost always kinda epic.

Negative Man, MCU Mandarin, Mr. Sinister, etc are much more interesting.

Besides Molecule Man & Micronauts and the Beyonder
I'd like to see

Mephisto
Nightmare - useful multiverse villain for America/Strange
Ghost Rider/Zarathos - Even retelling the Zarathos myth regarding personification of hellfire by higher beings. An opportunity to build supernatural realm stability lore with multiverse storyline.
Centurious

Agatha sounds like it's going to be introducing a lot of witchy villains.

On the other side
Firestar - I liked her better than similar powered characters. And with multiverse could be introduced fully powered. With Reynolds being of a certain age is one of my outside hopes to catch a glimpse of in Deadpool 3. If not, she's right there for someone else. She-Hulk season 2?

I'm wondering where Echo will go. It could be used to branch away from Kang. It would be perfect for a powerful being to set in motion Phoenix in a credit scene as a tie in at the end of the series.

bitbydeath

I feel that the quality of writing has rapidly deteriorated at Marvel since Avengers Endgame and I suspect that is why no one seems to care about their movies anymore.

Not to mention they release three movies a year and multiple television shows, watering down the content even more.

They have been quantity over quality for far too long.
*Infinity War.
Endgame wasn’t a great ending to what Infinity War was building up toward, and it also had that ham-fisted girls fighting together scene.

And before that, the first movie that officially started the trash fire, Captain Marvel.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
you-couldn%E2%80%99t-live-thanos.gif

throwing hail mary's at this point.

Nvzman

I have nothing to contribute to this conversation other than that the best scene and villain (besides Thanos) in the MCU are both from movies that aren't even from the MCU. People really crap on No Way Home for just being blatant fanservice but imo it was actually the only fanservice movie that did it right (all legacy characters are pretty respected and completely in-character). You can really tell how badly the MCU is just boring generic crap when Molina and Dafoe came back (and properly written like the Raimi movies) and were more memorable and menacing as villains than 95% of the stuff coming out since 2008.

Everyone knows this. Including Disney and Marvel. The problem is that there is this entire company and massive bureaucracy whose literal jobs depend on MCU capeshit continuing indefinitely. They're not just going to throw in the towel and say, "welp, it's over, time to resign and not feed my family."
Reboot. Start fresh. And/or make the next big thing. Find a new IP

Also all these people saying “man the DCU is about to just come in and dominate maaaan”

Nope. It’s all going. The DCU will flop too. Possibly worse. The superhero fad has had its day. Normies don’t even know the difference between Marvel and DC. A lot of them will think Superman legacy is an MCU thing. You have no idea how out of touch with geek stuff the casuals are

Batman and Spider-Man will still be profitable though I think

ReBurn

Gold Member
After the Thanos arc they were clearly out of ideas. Kang was a dumb idea for the big bad guy. They need someone of galactic scale to top Thanos and I can't see Kang ever being that. Or Doom, for that matter. They really need someone like The Beyonder. With the multiverse crap introduced in Quantumania it's pretty simple to lazily retcon the original Avengers into whatever they want them to be in, but to do that just to face off against Dr. Doom sounds dumb.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Reboot. Start fresh. And/or make the next big thing. Find a new IP

That's what they tried to do after Endgame, and they dug up all these other franchises. That is another problem, one I've mentioned many times before - the arc from Iron Man to Endgame was like 11 years and what, 25 movies? Nobody is signing up for that again. It's a huge investment, and Marvel was essentially asking people to make that investment again, oh but also with all these horrid TV showws and shit. People were like, nah I'm good.

The MCU was, essentially, a fad, and the problem with fads is that they always end before the company realizes it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
After the Thanos arc they were clearly out of ideas. Kang was a dumb idea for the big bad guy. They need someone of galactic scale to top Thanos and I can't see Kang ever being that. Or Doom, for that matter. They really need someone like The Beyonder. With the multiverse crap introduced in Quantumania it's pretty simple to lazily retcon the original Avengers into whatever they want them to be in, but to do that just to face off against Dr. Doom sounds dumb.
Secret Wars is going to be Tobey Spidey, Hugh Jackman, and a bunch of other Fox characters teamed up with the MCU characters fighting God Emperor Doom (replacing Beyonder Kang) leading into an All New MCU soft reboot.

GloveSlap

I've heard so many different people give so many different theories on why Marvel is such a shitshow right now. The sad part is that almost all of them are right to at least some degree.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Secret Wars is going to be Tobey Spidey, Hugh Jackman, and a bunch of other Fox characters teamed up with the MCU characters fighting God Emperor Doom (replacing Beyonder Kang) leading into an All New MCU soft reboot.
Ugh

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Thanos received different face and skin color changes over the years. They can simply cast another actor for Kang, a single line of dialog to explain it away.

Soodanim

Gold Member
That's what they tried to do after Endgame, and they dug up all these other franchises. That is another problem, one I've mentioned many times before - the arc from Iron Man to Endgame was like 11 years and what, 25 movies? Nobody is signing up for that again. It's a huge investment, and Marvel was essentially asking people to make that investment again, oh but also with all these horrid TV showws and shit. People were like, nah I'm good.

The MCU was, essentially, a fad, and the problem with fads is that they always end before the company realizes it.
Without rewriting a post I made in the main MCU thread about short/medium/long stories, I think it would have been a lot better had they actually went anywhere after End Game. If Phase 4 was akin to Phase 1 as people expected, we'd have had an Avengers movie by now. But we're 3/7 movies into Phase 5 and nothing is happening outside of what Loki, a Disney+ show, is doing.

MCU has become content without intent and fans have come to resent what Disney present.

One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. Blade was relegated to the fourth lead

I guess that's why they went with a 50 year old for Blade, so that they can kill him off in an emotional scene where he passes the mantle onto the strong independent women who don't need no dhampir

diffusionx

Gold Member
Without rewriting a post I made in the main MCU thread about short/medium/long stories, I think it would have been a lot better had they actually went anywhere after End Game. If Phase 4 was akin to Phase 1 as people expected, we'd have had an Avengers movie by now. But we're 3/7 movies into Phase 5 and nothing is happening outside of what Loki, a Disney+ show, is doing.

MCU has become content without intent and fans have come to resent what Disney present.

Both MCU and Star Wars have become these aimless, shoddy, half-assed money grabs, as you point out, any artistic intent behind them is long gone. Well, for Disney Wars there really never was any artistic intent behind it.

I always found it funny how the movies went in the EXACT same direction as the failing comics down to the story quality for pretty much the same reasons.

We had too many writers, none of them were talking to each other to make sure every story ran with each other smoothly (suddenly the giant space god is no longer in the middle of the ocean, inhumans just disappear without a trace), they all went the route of deconstruct male character, over hype female character (lets spend the entirety of Antman shitting on Antman no matter what he does, lets keep reminding the audience how inept Thor is compared to Valkyrie and Jane, lets make Hulk weaker and weaker and tell him he has no reason to be angry because she hulk is a woman and has ALL the reasons to be angry regardless how she has everything go her way. "It's not your fault Wanda, they won't know what you gave up for them".), stories have little focus and just throws everything at the audience expecting them to keep up, each movie now expects people to have seen the last to the point where they use the connection to other movies as marketing, introducing the multiverse and then using it as a crutch for everything, assuming the way to fix it is to just go back to basics without the original writing teams that wrote those basics.

It's like, you literally saw what happening to the comic books and repeat EVERY aspect and assumed the same shit wouldn't happen. The die hards will stay because they are die hards, but there aren't enough of them to support your terrible writing.

I think if they didn't go through feminazi/SJW route they would have less issue post Phase 3. There still be issues but that whole libtard route they went is what killed the MCU

Urban

They dont understand that the most important thing is the Villian or the "big thread". Even though the Heroes won in every movie against the Villian you always had THANOS as a looming Villian in the background.
When Thanos first came: He killed Loki, won against Hulk and overpowered everyone in that Movie. You asked yourself as a audience: How do they beat him? Now Ant-Man can win against the "Big threat Villian" in a 1on1 cmon.

+ Multisaga lowers the stakes because you always have a "im going to get another Ironman from another Universe card"
+ people got sick of your formula because the movies are literally the same

They dont understand that the most important thing is the Villian or the "big thread". Even though the Heroes won in every movie against the Villian you always had THANOS as a looming Villian in the background.
When Thanos first came: He killed Loki, won against Hulk and overpowered everyone in that Movie. You asked yourself as a audience: How do they beat him? Now Ant-Man can win against the "Big threat Villian" in a 1on1 cmon.

+ Multisaga lowers the stakes because you always have a "im going to get another Ironman from another Universe card"
+ people got sick of your formula because the movies are literally the same

That's how I feel about most Marvel/DC Stuff nowadays

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I guess that's why they went with a 50 year old for Blade, so that they can kill him off in an emotional scene where he passes the mantle onto the strong independent women who don't need no dhampir

Ummm.. Mahershala Ali came up with the idea to do Blade in the MCU... If HE isn't satisfied with the story, they will rewrite it. Like they did twice already because he said the script was shit!

mcjmetroid

It's almost like we've been watching Comic book movies for 25 years or something.

We've seen it all and the blessing and the curse of Endgame is that It was very good but it gave you everything. Where do you go from there?
The answer apparently is nowhere.

Last edited:

tkscz

I think if they didn't go through feminazi/SJW route they would have less issue post Phase 3. There still be issues but that whole libtard route they went is what killed the MCU
They go too extreme with it, it's an imaginative turn off for so many people. Men feel excluded, women feel patronized. It's fine to have women super heroes but when they are too perfect at the everything. They come off to everyone as stuck up bitches with superiority complexes. If a man exist, they must be made fun of. Their only speech is dry sarcasm and it got real old real fast. You can tell the writers and editors for these scripts were north west coasteners. Then they couldn't be bothered to write the politics in that fit well with the story. It was a mess and people have taken notice.

They go too extreme with it, it's an imaginative turn off for so many people. Men feel excluded, women feel patronized. It's fine to have women super heroes but when they are too perfect at the everything. They come off to everyone as stuck up bitches with superiority complexes. If a man exist, they must be made fun of. Their only speech is dry sarcasm and it got real old real fast. You can tell the writers and editors for these scripts were north west coasteners. Then they couldn't be bothered to write the politics in that fit well with the story. It was a mess and people have taken notice.

Yep that's my main issue with it

Black Widow and She-Hulk especially were guilty of this

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Loki is a fantastic show, best thing since Infinity War but for some reason they have added this woman named Sylvie who acts like a real cunt all the time. It’s like they do it to themselves or have no idea how to write women.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Loki is a fantastic show, best thing since Infinity War but for some reason they have added this woman named Sylvie who acts like a real cunt all the time. It’s like they do it to themselves or have no idea how to write women.

Sylvie's whole story arc is that her whole childhood was taken from her by the TVA. She's a variant of Loki. Yeah she's a pissed all the time and a bit of a cunt... But that's her character... She will mellow out before the end... She's already begun to.

She's actually one of the few new female characters post Phase 3 who's actually a good character. She grew on me, I was really surprised.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Sylvie's whole story arc is that her whole childhood was taken from her by the TVA. She's a variant of Loki. Yeah she's a pissed all the time and a bit of a cunt... But that's her character... She will mellow out before the end... She's already begun to.
Problem is it clashes with the interesting parts of the story. They should just kill her off, and focus on what’s working.

tkscz

Yep that's my main issue with it

Black Widow and She-Hulk especially were guilty of this
The most egregious example of it for me will always be that line at the end of Wandavision, "They won't know what you gave up for them". That one line completely ignores EVERYTHING she did to the innocent unsuspecting people and pretend like Agatha was behind her doing it. They were TRAPPED under HER control. THEY were FORCED to live a life that made HER happy. She gave up children she created out of thin air. Children we are never given a reason she can't recreate (in the books it was because the spell stole the souls of unborn children to do it, when she gave up those two souls, they were born again in the parents they were originally meant to be born in, but still had her DNA, the show and Dr. Strange movie give no explanation as to why she can't.). So she literally gave up playing pretend in order to let them go free. That one line was there purely to make her seem like some sort of good person all along, just going through but then the next project she's in she is the villain of. They just couldn't have a woman fuck up and not be perfect, so they added a line to make her the victim. It ruined the entire show for me and reminded me why I couldn't stand House of M (Oh it's not Wanda's fault she did all this blah blah blah).

The most egregious example of it for me will always be that line at the end of Wandavision, "They won't know what you gave up for them". That one line completely ignores EVERYTHING she did to the innocent unsuspecting people and pretend like Agatha was behind her doing it. They were TRAPPED under HER control. THEY were FORCED to live a life that made HER happy. She gave up children she created out of thin air. Children we are never given a reason she can't recreate (in the books it was because the spell stole the souls of unborn children to do it, when she gave up those two souls, they were born again in the parents they were originally meant to be born in, but still had her DNA, the show and Dr. Strange movie give no explanation as to why she can't.). So she literally gave up playing pretend in order to let them go free. That one line was there purely to make her seem like some sort of good person all along, just going through but then the next project she's in she is the villain of. They just couldn't have a woman fuck up and not be perfect, so they added a line to make her the victim. It ruined the entire show for me and reminded me why I couldn't stand House of M (Oh it's not Wanda's fault she did all this blah blah blah).

I enjoyed WandaVision

As for Multiverse of Madness that my favorite out of a shitty Phase 4 lol

tkscz

I enjoyed WandaVision

As for Multiverse of Madness that my favorite out of a shitty Phase 4 lol
In terms of story Wandavision definitely felt like a much better done House of M (same concept of Wanda going through tragedy of losing Vision and creating a new world where she has Vision again and they have twin children... again). House of M got way too convoluted and had to retcon a previous story in order to work while, coming off of End Game, WandaVision fit perfectly. It's use of TV shows through the years and the reason why fit perfectly with her dealing with loss and pain by being a metaphoric made real "safe place" she went to as a kid. Again, the ending is where it fell apart for me when they tried to make Wanda out to be a hero when she was the reason it was happening to begin with. Agatha pushed yes, but even she says it was Wanda originally and Wanda was fully aware of what she was doing. Had they left the line out, then the audience would be able to choose for themselves, forgive Wanda because she was trying to deal with grief while having all that power or not to forgive Wanda because grief is no excuse for manipulating and controlling people. By using that one line, it takes that away, making Wanda a victim of her grief and making it seem like she had no control over it, which ruins what I previously watched since it's telling me how I should have been seeing it rather than letting me interpret it the way I want.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Marvel just needs to wait it out and see if he's found innocent. He's a very talented actor and I'd rather see the MSU on pause for a while than resurrecting dead avengers or doing something stupid with the plot.

peish

As public criticism mounts, Feige is pulling the plug on scripts and projects that aren’t working. Case in point: the “Blade” reboot. With Mahershala Ali signed on for the eponymous role of a vampire, things looked promising for a 2023 release date. But the project has gone through at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production. One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. Blade was relegated to the fourth lead, a bizarre idea considering that the studio had two-time Oscar winner Ali on board.

:messenger_downcast_sweat:a clear example of if it aint woke, it aint broke.

MCU got greedy by introducing so many new characters with paper thin personality
And there is the virtue signaling checklists of having female counterparts just popping out of nowhere super powerful.

Their woke think tank spending too much time on where to insert political commentary instead of making good storylines and characters.

Neon Xenon

Saw a content creator mention this article today. It's somewhat refreshing to see that Marvel is making some sort of acknowledgment that their shit has been fucked, and that they are taking steps to possibly unfuck their shit. It's an eye-opening read, but still, this is Variety. I haven't forgotten that this outlet also ran a Bobby Kotick puff piece earlier this year.

Variety said:
As public criticism mounts, Feige is pulling the plug on scripts and projects that aren’t working. Case in point: the “Blade” reboot. With Mahershala Ali signed on for the eponymous role of a vampire, things looked promising for a 2023 release date. But the project has gone through at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production. One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. Blade was relegated to the fourth lead, a bizarre idea considering that the studio had two-time Oscar winner Ali on board.

Given the sort of clumsy, pandering shit being pushed by some writers and producers, I'm not even remotely surprised that such a narrative for a Blade reboot went into this direction, and at the very least, the idea was apparently shelved. However, the fact that this was even considered at some point is fucking embarrassing. No one looking to watch a Blade film wants to see him getting relegated into a role where he isn't the lead.

CGNoire

They're desperate to get people to watch The Marvels with their references to Thanos in the promo yet they still put out clips like these that are supposed to entice you... 👀

A leaked plot point is that Captain Marvel needs to sing to communicate with certain people. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Going for that CatWoman tone I see ;)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The multiverse storyline after Thanos is uninteresting and batshit. They should have just done something with Fantastic 4, Dr. Doom, Galactus, X-Men, ect after the Fox deal closed.

Now that they have those licenses they could have done secret wars… but no, we get this 🤦‍♂️

Flutta

Banned
They're desperate to get people to watch The Marvels with their references to Thanos in the promo yet they still put out clips like these that are supposed to entice you... 👀

A leaked plot point is that Captain Marvel needs to sing to communicate with certain people. :messenger_winking_tongue:

This just reminded me why i stopped watching anything Disney or Hollywood. Bunch of clowns running the show and they deseve every penny that is lost.

team america vomit GIF

Top Bottom